ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fran building a new regional powerhouse?

Iowa basketball is now relevant thanks to Fran. The question is whether the program can take the next step, and consistently be a ranked team, competing for the B1G championship most years.

I think that is what everyone sees coming.

Reactions: perryhawk
The thread title

tumblr_nbc2wgqTlE1r1k6vvo2_r1_500.gif

Mind you this team is returning almost 80% of its scoring, and the vast majority of that is in the FR and SO classes.

Garza will protect the rim, which will make the defense better alone.

Moss will have the green light, just like Jok and will undoubtedly score bigger minutes and points.

The McCaffrey boys, Weiskamp coming in (among Iowa top 15 all-time recruits)

We legitimately have 4 guys with pro potential on the roster this year, and next year we'll have 6.

Reactions: DanL53
Mind you this team is returning almost 80% of its scoring, and the vast majority of that is in the FR and SO classes.

Moss will have the green light, just like Jok and will undoubtedly score bigger minutes and points.

We legitimately have 4 guys with pro potential on the roster this year, and next year we'll have 6.

So should we hire a head hunter as an assistant and how long do we give McCaffery? :) Your points are spot on. It's been a slow build but more than just talent, we've seen some outstanding young men earn some high praise for academics. And I don't think we get a Nunge, Garza or Cook if we didn't have something to show their parents about how things are done in Iowa City.

I don't mean to pick and skip players either....my land, the team went to see Hutton play last season! A transfer, and still that connection. And Baer?

All that kind of I don't know what to call it adds up. Character? From the top down, the stuff winners are made of.

I have to ask, who's the 4 and who's the 6?

Would you care to share which 4 on the roster you think have "Pro" potential? Are you talking Pro as an NBA or Pro as in G League/Europe/Asia/etc?

QUOTE="HawkNole09, post: 4643172, member: 15798"]Mind you this team is returning almost 80% of its scoring, and the vast majority of that is in the FR and SO classes.

We legitimately have 4 guys with pro potential on the roster this year, and next year we'll have 6.[/QUOTE]

Pro potential = make a living playing pro ball

Moss
Cook
Garza
Baer

McCaffrey
Weiskamp

M
Pro potential = make a living playing pro ball

Moss
Cook
Garza
Baer

McCaffrey
Weiskamp
Moss maybe
Cook yes
Garza to early to tell
Baer maybe
Bohannon maybe.
the rest are solid players that every team needs to be successful.

Depends on what you mean by "powerhouse", but the way I think of it, I take that to mean "elite". Like KU elite, or 1986-87 Iowa elite. Honestly, I doubt we ever get there. Maybe for one season we could hit Top 5-10, but as a program, gotta do it regularly to be considered a powerhouse and not just a flash in the pan, IMO. Most programs can't do it.

I thought Wisconsin was getting there but we'll see how that goes now that Bo Ryan is gone.

Is the program progressing? Seems to be, and who knows what the ceiling is. Future is bright. Still, Fran is yet to accomplish anything that Dr. Tom didn't do pretty regularly. 9 NCAA trips in 13 years (2 NIT's), no first round NCAA losses. A good, solid program? Sure. Powerhouse? Nope.

To change this, Iowa needs to either A) Recruit better talent (we get good talent, but not elite - no coach we ever hire ever seems capable of getting better) or B) Gotta be exceptionally well coached along with solid talent.

Again, Wisconsin comes to mind. They weren't loaded like Duke or Kentucky, but they still had good players and a fantastic coach (even if I couldn't stand the guy).

Last edited:
In comparison to Dr. Tom Davis, Fran walked into a situation with very limited talent...Tom Davis walked into a team with above average talent recruited by George Raveling(an excellent recruiter). George Raveling walked in behind Lute Olson. Again, Fran walked in behind some unknown coach :confused: who left the program in shambles.
I think it is fair to say that McCaffery has done an excellent job of rebuilding the team without using the Rick Pitino/Sean Miller system of recruiting. It looks like McCaffery's recruiting is going strong for the next few years. I am very excited.

Haha....wow, the tide has really turned!

Looking at Fran's tenure it's hard to deny that the Iowa program has been taking small steps forward each year.

Player development has been very consistent. Good players moving up, assuming leadership roles, and then going to play professionally.

When I look at the talent in the FR and SO classes, I can't see this team underperforming any time soon.
This team is set up to make deep runs, as long as they stay healthy!

Should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years as Fran cements Iowa as a top 5 program in the B1G.

Wow
These guys need to stop smoking that stuff
Iowa guards are the slowest in the major conferences
Defense against good teams is impossible with those guards

Looking at Fran's tenure it's hard to deny that the Iowa program has been taking small steps forward each year.

Player development has been very consistent. Good players moving up, assuming leadership roles, and then going to play professionally.

When I look at the talent in the FR and SO classes, I can't see this team underperforming any time soon.

Should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years as Fran cements Iowa as a top 5 program in the B1G.
lol

Reactions: CyRail
Nice work HawkNole09! Powerhouse!!!

Boy this sure hasn't aged well....

This thread reminds me of the Iowa State guy who started running smack in football before the game was over like five years ago. Then you all kept bumping the thread up on the football boards

Whatever all you guys are smoking, I want some of it :rolleyes:. Powerhouse, I thought the post was sarcastic, sadly it wasn't and all you guys joined in. This must be music to Barta's ears. I can hire a coach who after 7 years can run a totally mediocre program and the fans love it. No one's calling for my head or the coach's, this must be heaven, no it's the Iowa I built.

First time I've opened this thread. What the hell is a regional powerhouse? A team that owns Drake, Augustana, and UNI?

Reactions: NI hawk

Lol. Sorry. This post is pretty funny now.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Whatever all you guys are smoking, I want some of it :rolleyes:. Powerhouse, I thought the post was sarcastic, sadly it wasn't and all you guys joined in. This must be music to Barta's ears. I can hire a coach who after 7 years can run a totally mediocre program and the fans love it. No one's calling for my head or the coach's, this must be heaven, no it's the Iowa I built.
This thread is gonna leave a mark on a few posters and their reputations as basketball guys.

Yes, if the region is defined as Iowa City - Cedar Rapids - Davenport. Can't quite extend the region to Cedar Falls or the answer becomes a resounding no.

Reactions: the Howler
This thread reminds me of the Iowa State guy who started running smack in football before the game was over like five years ago. Then you all kept bumping the thread up on the football boards

Even I miss thread. Ahhh the good old days on here of the rivalry board. RIP

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT