ADVERTISEMENT

Is it time to go back to normal?

I cannot even walk from my office to the copy machine without putting on a mask. The only time I don't have to wear a mask is in my car, or when I get home. Even though I'm fully vaccinated.
Every business in Iowa City requires them. They are mandated in our county. They are mandated in our schools.

That's part of what is so ridiculous. Everyone saying, 'things are normal for me', meanwhile areas like here are still under mandates and restrictions yet things aren't all that different from place to place.
There is no government mandate for masks here. No government restrictions at all.

If someone thinks they have Covid, all they have to do is stay home sick for 5 days, and then come back to work with a mask for the next 5 days. That meets the current CDC guidance. No need for a test.
If you think you have, it, just act like you do. It's not that hard.
If you need to show proof to your employer, that would be different.
But, otherwise, the test doesn't do anything for you that you couldn't already do yourself.
The new treatments require positive Covid test before being prescribed.

I want to live my normal life. I am not allowed to because of people like you.
I try where I can, but where I live, despite it being the most vaccinated county in the state, we have the most restrictions.

If you're talking about people like me, I still go to stores and restaurants. I'm not sure how that's impacting you. I think what you're experiencing is the emotional changes from dealing with a pandemic (don't tell Finance85 about your emotions, he/she hates emotions). You're feeling the anxiety of a pandemic and it makes you angry. A lot of people are feeling it, you're not alone. But blaming others for being cautious isn't going to get your normal back. It's going to take time and for the hospitals to not be overloaded. We need Covid to turn into the actual flu.

I want to live my normal life. I am not allowed to because of people like you.
I try where I can, but where I live, despite it being the most vaccinated county in the state, we have the most restrictions.
And they appear to not be working.

Reactions: Pinehawk
I have followed all the guidelines. I am vaccinated and have booster shot. When I was told to stay home, I stayed home. However, the reality is this is never going away and 50 percent of the country are idiots and will never get vaccinated. Is it time to just go back to the way it was before the pandemic? I just want life, work, sports, etc back to normal. Maybe I am wrong. Hard to say.
Same here. People have had ample opportunity to get shots, the risks are pretty much known.

There is no government mandate for masks here. No government restrictions at all.

That’s not true. Both Iowa City and Johnson County currently have mask mandates in effect.
As well as all Iowa city schools.

That’s not true. Both Iowa City and Johnson County currently have mask mandates in effect.
As well as all Iowa city schools.
We all made fun of the non enforceable city and county mandates when they were enacted last fall. Your employer is choosing to require you wear a mask right now.

I have followed all the guidelines. I am vaccinated and have booster shot. When I was told to stay home, I stayed home. However, the reality is this is never going away and 50 percent of the country are idiots and will never get vaccinated. Is it time to just go back to the way it was before the pandemic? I just want life, work, sports, etc back to normal. Maybe I am wrong. Hard to say.
I think the problem is too many people went back to “normal” way sooner than they should have. And here we are…

Has a parent ever given their snot nosed kids the flu? In my house it is always the kids bringing it home from school or daycare and giving us the flu.
Stop changing the example. If someone else is sick at home others tend to avoid them.

I think the problem is too many people went back to “normal” way sooner than they should have. And here we are…

No. Every country, every state, everywhere the virus keeps going regardless of mitigation efforts.

I remember Wisconsin's bars won a lawsuit to open back up in mid-May of 2020. Everyone predicted an apocalypse. Meanwhile, they're at 37th in deaths per million. There is a nominal relation between mitigation efforts and deaths.

No. Every country, every state, everywhere the virus keeps going regardless of mitigation efforts.

I remember Wisconsin's bars won a lawsuit to open back up in mid-May of 2020. Everyone predicted an apocalypse. Meanwhile, they're at 37th in deaths per million. There is a nominal relation between mitigation efforts and deaths.
Okay… Calling my doctor now to tell her she is full of shit…. 😅

Okay… Calling my doctor now to tell her she is full of shit…. 😅

I know women whose doctors have told them not to get vaccinated because they are of child-bearing age. So, yeah, some of them are full of shit.

But my argument doesn't require a doctor - it just requires any reasonable person looking at the data that is accessible to everyone. Countries like France locked down long and hard. Hell, my wife and daughter had to cancel a trip in Paris in May '21 because hotels were still closed.

They are experiencing the same issues as we are.

And, as I pointed out, Wisconsin opened wide up within a couple of months and are doing much better than most states. The data suggests our mitigation efforts have had a nominal impact.

I know women whose doctors have told them not to get vaccinated because they are of child-bearing age. So, yeah, some of them are full of shit.

But my argument doesn't require a doctor - it just requires any reasonable person looking at the data that is accessible to everyone. Countries like France locked down long and hard. Hell, my wife and daughter had to cancel a trip in Paris in May '21 because hotels were still closed.

They are experiencing the same issues as we are.

And, as I pointed out, Wisconsin opened wide up within a couple of months and are doing much better than most states. The data suggests our mitigation efforts have had a nominal impact.
Agree. Some people need to look at the lockdowns/measures of other countries and see how little of it really mattered. Kicked the can down the road.

I think we may have to or will be forced to bite the bullet with omicron. I think it may be an opportunity before something worse come along to gain more immunity. Yes, the hospitals will be hammered for a month or two, but it may bring us out of this thing as opposed to suffering for many more years.

Agree. Some people need to look at the lockdowns/measures of other countries and see how little of it really mattered. Kicked the can down the road.

I think we may have to or will be forced to bite the bullet with omicron. I think it may be an opportunity before something worse come along to gain more immunity. Yes, the hospitals will be hammered for a month or two, but it may bring us out of this thing as opposed to suffering for many more years.

I think we are already there.

1 million cases in 1 day.

It can't be stopped.

I know two people on ventilators right now who shouldn't be on ventilators. This is not the flu and if we pretend it is then there will be more people on ventilators who should not be on ventilators.

I think we are already there.

1 million cases in 1 day.

It can't be stopped.

Yeah, it's friggin' hard to get a test right now. So if a million people tested positive, there were a helluva lot of others who were infected.

So they were tested.
JFC, yes in a study. When you do a study, you have a sample of people. You test all of them. If 1000 are positive and 650 had no symptoms, that would mean that 65% are asymptomatic. You can then reasonably apply the data to the real world to estimate how many are asymptomatic even while not tested.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyenuts66
Any mitigation efforts have proven almost useless, against much less transmissible variants. There is almost no point to trying to stop the spread with Omicron. Something like 85% of US adults have gotten at least one shot...the spread is not a failure of vaccination. The vaccination uptake has been far greater than predicted, and greater than any in history. Everyone thought it would have an impact on the spread and it doesn't. That is what it is.

Realistically, we need to switch soon to a standard "If you feel sick, stay home until you feel better" approach like every other disease. There is no practical way that anything we're doing is having any appreciable affect on the spread anymore. 10 day quarantines and requiring a negative test does nothing but exacerbate the inflection points where society is being hit hardest...keeping hospital staffs from being overwhelmed and schools and other services opened. Stop testing non symptomatic people.

Any mitigation efforts have proven almost useless, against much less transmissible variants. There is almost no point to trying to stop the spread with Omicron. Something like 85% of US adults have gotten at least one shot...the spread is not a failure of vaccination. The vaccination uptake has been far greater than predicted, and greater than any in history. Everyone thought it would have an impact on the spread and it doesn't. That is what it is.

Realistically, we need to switch soon to a standard "If you feel sick, stay home until you feel better" approach like every other disease. There is no practical way that anything we're doing is having any appreciable affect on the spread anymore. 10 day quarantines and requiring a negative test does nothing but exacerbate the inflection points where society is being hit hardest...keeping hospital staffs from being overwhelmed and schools and other services opened. Stop testing non symptomatic people.
exactly-yes.gif

I cannot even walk from my office to the copy machine without putting on a mask. The only time I don't have to wear a mask is in my car, or when I get home. Even though I'm fully vaccinated.
Every business in Iowa City requires them. They are mandated in our county. They are mandated in our schools.

That's part of what is so ridiculous. Everyone saying, 'things are normal for me', meanwhile areas like here are still under mandates and restrictions yet things aren't all that different from place to place.

If you are so fed up with having to wear a mask everywhere, then stop bitching and move somewhere else. There are plenty other places in Iowa, let alone other areas of the country, where you won’t have to wear a mask if you don’t want to. It’s really not that big of a deal, but if your sensibilities are so fragile that you can’t stand another second of being subjected to such a minor inconvenience, why don’t you do something about it instead of spending all day crying about it on the internet?

I run a facility with about 175 employees. The OSHA vax mandate is scheduled to go into effect January 10th.

Those stating we are back to normal already or tell others to quit crying about wearing masks and it's not that big of an inconvenience do not understand the bullshit that businesses have to go through to prep for this meaningless mandate.

And your damn right we're creating a bunch of scared people. I had two individuals leave work today because one of their spouses was in close proximity to someone who tested positive. Not because their spouse had tested positive, because an acquaintance of one of the spouses had tested positive.

They both have no symptoms, feel fine, and felt like they were supposed to leave work and await the spouses negative test to be able to come to work.

That's insane and far from normal.

These are people that cannot afford to miss work and will be the first ones looking for good old Uncle Sugardaddy, er, Sam to send out more "relief" money soon.

Back to normal my ass...

Supreme Court better do the right thing Friday

Last edited:
Um you mentioned exactly 0 things. You spoke in vague terms "supply chain issues that make it feel like living in russia." You didn't say meat production is down and there is 20 percent less ground beef at my local market. You said flights are canceled, without showing any evidence its more cancelations than in 2018. So no you didn't mention several things life that are "nowhere near normal."
Overall flights are still down, but the delays and cancellations are better than 2018.

vW06xXU.png

But you mentioned shelves not being empty, and people need to understand that this is the point of rising prices. It keeps the shelves from being emptied too fast.
Beef production was UP in 2020, but not as fast as the pool of money was increased:

Ia6T9tL.png

Reactions: Finance85
I believe there is a pandemic.

I don't believe our mitigation efforts are particularly effective.

There is data out there that the mitigation efforts are effective, but it's more of turning a dial rather than an on/off switch. Look at the curves back in March 2020-May 2020 when the mitigation efforts were at their strictest.

The problem now is that the pandemic has changed with delta and especially with omicron, and the messaging and/or mitigation efforts have not kept up. Omicron is extremely contagious, transmitted efficiently via the airborne route, and the vaccines are not as protective against infection for this variant. This means, in order for mitigation efforts to be effective, we need higher quality masks and that the risks of things like indoor dining and indoor sporting events had increased significantly, even if you are > 6 feet. Good ventilation and high quality masks are the keys right now, and that message has been lost.

Reactions: artradley
It was time to go back to normal on about April 1, 2021 which would have been after the whole "two weeks to stop the spread" song and dance was over.

There is data out there that the mitigation efforts are effective, but it's more of turning a dial rather than an on/off switch. Look at the curves back in March 2020-May 2020 when the mitigation efforts were at their strictest.

The problem now is that the pandemic has changed with delta and especially with omicron, and the messaging and/or mitigation efforts have not kept up. Omicron is extremely contagious, transmitted efficiently via the airborne route, and the vaccines are not as protective against infection for this variant. This means, in order for mitigation efforts to be effective, we need higher quality masks and that the risks of things like indoor dining and indoor sporting events had increased significantly, even if you are > 6 feet. Good ventilation and high quality masks are the keys right now, and that message has been lost.
High quality mask work when you are forced to sit next to someone. Airplane, airports as an example. Otherwise, the vast majority of the spread is happening in private settings when mask are never going to be worn. Short of everyone staying in their own homes, this thing is going to blow through every community. Even then when we leave our homes it will do the same.

You will never starve it out or hold it at bay with mitigation efforts.
No matter how strict, or for how long, as soon as you let up...in 1 month or in 5 years...it would reignite like wildfire.

I work with a couple guys that get tested a lot hoping to have Covid so they have a reason to miss work.
That’s been my goal. 0 for 3 now. What’s worse it’s the quarantine time keeps getting shorter and shorter. I’ll probably get it once it’s considered a common cold and have to use sick time instead of covid time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT