ADVERTISEMENT

ISU rivalry has ended. Nation saw Cyclones permanently relegated.

May 17, 2021
To sum up a few months of discussion and the most important - and last meaningful - game in this long rivalry:

1. LOYALTY - Most ISU "fans" are not really fans at all. They want to be entertained, are provincial, and delusional. That tens of thousands turned their collective backs on their team - especially on their seniors - and bolted right there on national TV, was a disgrace to the entire team, the institution, and to themselves. I've never seen anything like it. Mahomes scored two TDs against my beloved Browns to win by four points, and did it all in minutes, and I didn't see KC fans give up on their great team when they were down by two scores in the fourth quarter.

2. COACHING - It's been a good debt-driven run with Campbell and his staff. I now see that by pulling Purdy, he did give up on the game. He showed the same lack of loyalty that the fans showed. Purdy didn't have a bad game. He just ran up against quite possibly the best defense in the country, a defense which this ESPN article called "impossibly good", and later called the Hawkeyes "one of the most feared teams in the country". Campbell gave up on his senior QB, and gave up on his team. He gave up on his fans. And within a few months, we will see that he - just like Texas and OU - had been making his moves behind the scenes regarding his next job. He is so gone. He has an inexperienced group returning next year, and it will be a huge step down in talent if he stays. Whatever promises he has been making to recruits will be broken soon enough, probably just after they sign. But the wise ones with wise parents and coaches will look elsewhere.

3. BUDGETS - Iowa's revenues were already more than twice that of ISU's. Ticket giveaways and other methods to falsely bump attendance numbers - not dissimilar to Nebraska, though Nebraska is a big boy in a big conference and any meaningful association with the state of Iowa State stops there - were mirages. There is simply no way ISU can sustain the kind of "growth" they have mustered based mainly on the parasitic relationship they have with Texas and OU. Not just TV contract and conference allocations, but the amount of fans in the stands, support for the program, and media attention. Paul Finebaum said it perfectly and mercilessly: "Spare me any further conversation. I'm done talking about Iowa State." It's a low-budget program in a low-budget conference going forward. Not going to be relevant to any serious conversation in any sport going forward.

3. RECRUITING - All we need to read is what the recruits at the game on Saturday said about their experience, including at least one five-star recruit who was gushing with praise about Iowa, and the consensus from others who tried to be diplomatic and put a brave face on the humiliations ISU faced on the field and in the stands. Why would any serious recruit bet their education and career on a downward-trending program in a disaster of a conference?

4. CONFERENCES - We've seen the B12 become the little 12, a "poor" conference (words of the Kansas Athletic Director), "We’re less secure now than we were eight weeks ago, and maybe significantly financially less secure,” Goff said. “The facts are there’s most likely a scenario where when we do a new deal with a makeup where we likely can’t stay at the level we’re at. And I think that’s pretty well documented. That shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody, the value that Texas and OU brought.” Zero way to spin the fact that the B12 in the last decade or so lost six members whose collective annual revenues topped $650 million, and replaced it with six members (including the four new ones) whose collective annual revenues are only $200 million. That's devastating.

5. DEBT - That ISU had to borrow $60M to "pay for" an $80M "upgrade" to the stadium says everything about their fans (they don't have enough who support the program), and their program. Again, Iowa recently completed over $160M in athletic facility upgrades, and only had to borrow $30M, with the rest coming from regular revenues and donations. The programs are in different universes altogether. But I expect reporters to start to dig into the financial situation of the new members. ISU fans here bragged about the quality of their new conference members, particularly highly-ranked Cincinnati. Anyone with two seconds on a Google search can find many articles about the 13-year financial scandal there, as they've run up nearly $300M in debt, and last year, had to borrow $40M from the university to cover for it, and then pretended that they earned $8 million in revenue. And that's what they "bring" to the new b12? That's a disaster in the making.

In conclusion: I'm not even going to bother to read what ISU fans say about their program anymore. Their FB program and their entire athletic program are so much less relevant to the state of Iowa, regionally, or nationally than it was three days ago or three months ago before we knew about the collapse of the once great Big Twelve. I've lost almost all respect for their fans and program, having seen their reactions at the game, and what's been posted here and elsewhere.

Iowa didn’t just win a game.

iowa has won dominance: definitively and permanently.

The rivalry isn't really a rivalry anymore.

Iowa is the Flagship University.

Iowa is carrying the banner of the Big Ten.

This is the Hawkeye State.

Goodbye and good luck, Cyclones.

Last edited:
I remember as a kid trying to watch the Iowa-Miami PPV game on scramble-vision. I remember watching the 7-play stand against Syracuse, remember screaming while listening to the comeback against Pitt on a radio at a golf course, remember yelling at the TV when Stanzi was benched at Pitt, remember watching the incredible 2015 game at home against Pitt, remember trying to follow the Iowa-AZ game via text messages while at a wedding, remember us playing NC State...
If this was the rivalry game of the century, it's all downhill from here. The idea that the ISU series cannot be replaced by an exciting game against a high-level ACC or Pac 12 opponent is garbage. I'm done with the clones. Put the trophy in storage. End the series. Play someone else.

My understanding is a "rivalry" is a contested game with the outcome in doubt?

ISU vs Iowa isn't a rivalry. It's a matchup of two in-State teams.

That's why Iowa should be hosting 2 of every 3 games. No need to alternate.

It's clear the Clone fan base doesn't understand football, by and large. After reading the ISU fan site in the last two days, the majority opinion seems to be "ISU would have won without the turnovers".

That view of the game just leaves me thinking WTF?

My understanding is a "rivalry" is a contested game with the outcome in doubt?

ISU vs Iowa isn't a rivalry. It's a matchup of two in-State teams.

That's why Iowa should be hosting 2 of every 3 games. No need to alternate.

It's clear the Clone fan base doesn't understand football, by and large. After reading the ISU fan site in the last two days, the majority opinion seems to be "ISU would have won without the turnovers".

That view of the game just leaves me thinking WTF?
Turnovers are a big part of football. Always has been and always will be.

While I'm genuinely happy for ISU and their fans that they finally have a program worth cheering for, this game in the grand scheme of things is meaningless. This year may have been an exception, but after seeing how Iowa thoroughly worked the Cyclones, it simply showcased the separation between the two programs. Iowa State is not a national laughingstock anymore, but it's not the CFP darkhorse that certain talking heads were hyping them up to be. There's no guarantee they'll go back to another NY6 bowl this year.

I've always hated that this game is played in September because it doesn't have the same feel as a Rivalry Week game. For much of the series, it was basically another patsy prior to conference play. I've always lamented that this game has no conference implications because they haven't been in the same conference in over a century (and even that was very brief).

If Kevin Warren thinks adding Iowa State will help the B1G brand, hey, I'm not going to try and stop him. I don't think it's a brilliant idea myself, but at the very least the rivalry would be legitimized and not forced. And even if ISU gets relegated to a non-P5(or whatever number) conference, I wouldn't be opposed to maintaining the series, but in a much more limited capacity. For starters, I wouldn't play it every year. Maybe every other year, or two on, two off. I'd like for Iowa to play some other teams in other power conferences - maybe one of the Washington schools or NC State or BC or someone we don't play very much (basically someone other than Pitt or the AZ schools).

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I’m noticing threads referring to Cyclone Fanatic are being removed by the mods. I wonder why that is, considering clone fans are able to run smack on this board.
I started one and nothing outlandish was posted in that but I wondered the same. Oh well. Best part of beating them keeps the trolls at bay for a while here and then when the few that are brave enough to come back it's fun to see them make fools of themselves. You know there has to be so many waiting to post crap since 15' and it has been glorious it's been so long since they can point to the scoreboard. However any truth to the rumor they are changing the name of Jack Trice to Kinnick West since we own them there anymore?

Reactions: shudaddy and 83Hawk
Turnovers are a big part of football. Always has been and always will be.
Hence, my ridicule of Clone fans POV. Over the years, Iowa has probably won many, many games on special teams' play alone.

I read that ISU doesn't even have a coach assigned to ST.

Same thing at Nebraska. Given how the Gophers have been Iowa's bitch... Minnesota probably doesn't either.

Pollard better hope the Big12 survives because they're not ready for the B1G.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Hence, my ridicule of Clone fans POV. Over the years, Iowa has probably won many, many games on special teams' play alone.

Same thing at Nebraska. Given how the Gophers have been Iowa's bitch... Minnesota probably doesn't either.

Pollard better hope the Big12 survives because they're not ready for the B1G.
Didn't Gary Barta say something like, Iowa State isn't joining the Big Ten?

Regardless, it's not going to happen.

That’s hilarious! I saw a clip on Saturday of Matty talking to one of his players saying “I woke up at 2:30 this morning thinking about punt returns, we really need to field those, don’t make mistakes” or something like that. Did anyone else catch that clip?

If Kevin Warren thinks adding Iowa State will help the B1G brand, hey, I'm not going to try and stop him. I don't think it's a brilliant idea myself, but at the very least the rivalry would be legitimized and not forced.
This post doesn't make sense to me at all. WHere in the He!! did Kevin Warren say anything about Iowa State.....ever? ISU ain't coming to the BIg 10. Iowa State to the BIG 10 doesn't help the brand at all. It is ludicrous to say it. Why would you spit stuff like this out?

Ferentz was burying that program 1 foot deeper each of his consecutive wins

It's a game that has always been over-hyped relative to its importance to the outcomes that really matter. This year was just the most egregious example.
Would be nice if this would just go away and the potential for better games would be there with the new alliance. But, I've become resigned to that never happening. This game is the zombie that just won't die.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
To sumup a few months of discussion and the most important - and last meaningful - game in this long rivalry:

1. LOYALTY - Most ISU "fans" are not really fans at all. They want to be entertained, are provincial, and delusional. That tens of thousands turned their collective backs on their team - especially on their seniors - and bolted right there on national TV, was a disgrace to the entire team, the institution, and to themselves. I've never seen anything like it. Mahomes scored two TDs against my beloved Browns to win by four points, and did it all in minutes, and I didn't see KC fans give up on their great team when they were down by two scores in the fourth quarter.

2. COACHING - It's been a good debt-driven run with Campbell and his staff. I now see that by pulling Purdy, he did give up on the game. He showed the same lack of loyalty that the fans showed. Purdy didn't have a bad game. He just ran up against quite possibly the best defense in the country, a defense which this ESPN article called "impossibly good", and later called the Hawkeyes "one of the most feared teams in the country". Campbell gave up on his senior QB, and gave up on his team. He gave up on his fans. And within a few months, we will see that he - just like Texas and OU - had been making his moves behind the scenes regarding his next job. He is so gone. He has an inexperienced group returning next year, and it will be a huge step down in talent if he stays. Whatever promises he has been making to recruits will be broken soon enough, probably just after they sign. But the wise ones with wise parents and coaches will look elsewhere.

3. BUDGETS - Iowa's revenues were already more than twice that of ISU's. Ticket giveaways and other methods to falsely bump attendance numbers - not dissimilar to Nebraska, though Nebraska is a big boy in a big conference and any meaningful association with the state of Iowa State stops there - were mirages. There is simply no way ISU can sustain the kind of "growth" they have mustered based mainly on the parasitic relationship they have with Texas and OU. Not just TV contract and conference allocations, but the amount of fans in the stands, support for the program, and media attention. Paul Finebaum said it perfectly and mercilessly: "Spare me any further conversation. I'm done talking about Iowa State." It's a low-budget program in a low-budget conference going forward. Not going to be relevant to any serious conversation in any sport going forward.

3. RECRUITING - All we need to read is what the recruits at the game on Saturday said about their experience, including at least one five-star recruit who was gushing with praise about Iowa, and the consensus from others who tried to be diplomatic and put a brave face on the humiliations ISU faced on the field and in the stands. Why would any serious recruit bet their education and career on a downward-trending program in a disaster of a conference?

4. CONFERENCES - We've seen the B12 become the little 12, a "poor" conference (words of the Kansas Athletic Director), "We’re less secure now than we were eight weeks ago, and maybe significantly financially less secure,” Goff said. “The facts are there’s most likely a scenario where when we do a new deal with a makeup where we likely can’t stay at the level we’re at. And I think that’s pretty well documented. That shouldn’t be a surprise to anybody, the value that Texas and OU brought.” Zero way to spin the fact that the B12 in the last decade or so lost six members whose collective annual revenues topped $650 million, and replaced it with six members (including the four new ones) whose collective annual revenues are only $200 million. That's devastating.

5. DEBT - That ISU had to borrow $60M to "pay for" an $80M "upgrade" to the stadium says everything about their fans (they don't have enough who support the program), and their program. Again, Iowa recently completed over $160M in athletic facility upgrades, and only had to borrow $30M, with the rest coming from regular revenues and donations. The programs are in different universes altogether. But I expect reporters to start to dig into the financial situation of the new members. ISU fans here bragged about the quality of their new conference members, particularly highly-ranked Cincinnati. Anyone with two seconds on a Google search can find many articles about the 13-year financial scandal there, as they've run up nearly $300M in debt, and last year, had to borrow $40M from the university to cover for it, and then pretended that they earned $8 million in revenue. And that's what they "bring" to the new b12? That's a disaster in the making.

In conclusion: I'm not even going to bother to read what ISU fans say about their program anymore. Their FB and their entire athletic program is so much less relevant to Iowa =, regionally, or nationally than it was three days ago or three months ago before we knew about the collapse of the once great Big Twelve. I've lost almost all respect for their fans and program, having seen their reactions at the game, and what's been posted here and elsewhere.

Iowa has won definitively and permanently. The rivalry isn't really a rivalry anymore.

morgan-freeman-pointing.gif

This post doesn't make sense to me at all. WHere in the He!! did Kevin Warren say anything about Iowa State.....ever? ISU ain't coming to the BIg 10. Iowa State to the BIG 10 doesn't help the brand at all. It is ludicrous to say it. Why would you spit stuff like this out?
He didn't. Purely from a football standpoint it would be a bit more meaningful to be played on Rivalry Weekend but from a 'bigger picture' standpoint it does not make one lick of difference when it's played. If the B12 falls out of the Power Conference picture, then the rivalry needs to be reduced in frequency.

He didn't. Purely from a football standpoint it would be a bit more meaningful to be played on Rivalry Weekend but from a 'bigger picture' standpoint it does not make one lick of difference when it's played. If the B12 falls out of the Power Conference picture, then the rivalry needs to be reduced in frequency.a
If he didn't then why did you imply or even mention Kevin Warren or even the BIg 10? It has nothing to do with the point in your reply either.

If he didn't then why did you imply or even mention Kevin Warren or even the BIg 10? It has nothing to do with the point in your reply either.
It was purely hypothetical. I'm pretty sure the plan for the B1G, ACC, and PAC are to remain as-is anyway.

And Campbell will be at or near the top of every single list of actual Power 4 teams.

like this one today

Though I’m not sure if Los Angeles and Pasadena are as fun as Ames, or have such yummy water.

Forgot to mention that all the crazy talk about how great Ames is also needs to end. I’m not even entertaining debate with trolling clones.

ISU and their relatively small and very local clan of fans can quietly stay there in Ames and tell each other all they want how amazing it is.

Life goes on elsewhere. And moves much faster. And develops more impressively.

And the real, world-class programs, the culture, not agriculture, and the center of the football and athletic program universe was, is, and always will be Iowa City.

And Campbell will be at or near the top of every single list of actual Power 4 teams.

like this one today

Though I’m not sure if Los Angeles and Pasadena are as fun as Ames, or have such yummy water.

Forgot to mention that all the crazy talk about how great Ames is also needs to end. I’m not even entertaining debate with trolling clones.

ISU and their relatively small and very local clan of fans can quietly stay there in Ames and tell each other all they want how amazing it is.

And the real, world-class programs, the culture, not agriculture, and the center of the football and athletic program universe was, is, and always will be Iowa City.
Hey now clown fans don’t like it when reality is brought to the discussion. Besides, clown fans will return soon enough once they get their marching orders from CyTwit.

JFC, obsess much about Iowa State? Do we have a rivalry anymore with Wisconsin and Penn State? Yeah, we won both games last year but Wisconsin has won 7 of the last 9 games. Penn State has won 6 of the last 7. We're strutting our stuff but it could all come crashing down quickly.

The stars were aligned this year for the first time ever against Iowa State. The first time a win against them really benefited Iowa. We won on the road against a team ranked in the Top Ten.

Normally a home or away win against ISU does nothing for Iowa’s national stature, but a loss to them is devestating for us. I think there was one year we beat them, and went down a spot in the rankings….does anyone else remember that?

To sum up a few months of discussion and the most important - and last meaningful - game in this long rivalry:

In conclusion: I'm not even going to bother to read what ISU fans say about their program anymore. Their FB program and their entire athletic program are so much less relevant to the state of Iowa, regionally, or nationally than it was three days ago or three months ago before we knew about the collapse of the once great Big Twelve. I've lost almost all respect for their fans and program, having seen their reactions at the game, and what's been posted here and elsewhere.

clapping-leonardo-dicaprio.gif

Preach it brother ….

The stars were aligned this year for the first time ever against Iowa State. The first time a win against them really benefited Iowa. We won on the road against a team ranked in the Top Ten.

Normally a home or away win against ISU does nothing for Iowa’s national stature, but a loss to them is devestating for us. I think there was one year we beat them, and went down a spot in the rankings….does anyone else remember that?
You could make the case that the win against ISU this year didn't mean much either. Afterwards the national pundits downplayed ISU again and don't want to discuss them anymore. Down the road I doubt we'll get much credit for that win when the start to stack up resumes. It will be "yeah, but it was Iowa State..."

1*FzzJAP8O3x0_rcZLYJU76w.jpeg

Reactions: HerkyFan
I don’t know why, but I get the sense this thread is going to be resurrected in a couple months if ISU wins the B12.

like this one today

OK, true. But I will concede on the 5* agriculture at moo U

JFC, obsess much about Iowa State? Do we have a rivalry anymore with Wisconsin and Penn State? Yeah, we won both games last year but Wisconsin has won 7 of the last 9 games. Penn State has won 6 of the last 7. We're strutting our stuff but it could all come crashing down quickly.
You just reinforced my point.

Wisconsin and PSU are real rivals. B10 conference foes. Formidable programs for decades. Ferentz is something like 8-8 vs PSU, or 9-9. PSU sucked last year. The tide has turned vs Wisconsin too. Iowa dominated Wisconsin last year. Iowa should beat both this year. We shall see. Tough games with outstanding perennial rivals now and going forward.

ISU is not in that league, no longer in that category. We just played ISU and found out about the b12 situation, which both demonstrate that our programs and institutions are on very much separate paths, one rising, and the other falling fast, about to lose its coach, face steep budget cuts, and adopt to the “new reality” of being a “poor” (Kansas ADs words) non power 4 conference.

this thread is a statement that none of us need to be obsessed with ISU, or engage trolls, etc. they are just not very relevant to Iowa, or as a program going forward. iowa has MUCH bigger fish to fry and is on an entirely different growth curve. One that’s actually growing. Impressively.

Little brother has become a poor cousin.

Reactions: rchawk and shudaddy

giphy.gif

And the mike drops! Suck on that clones:)

And the mike drops! Suck on that clones:)
I’m noticing threads referring to Cyclone Fanatic are being removed by the mods. I wonder why that is, considering clone fans are able to run smack on this board.
Yep - I can’t find an earlier thread on CyTwins. That turd deserves all the crap he can get.

Is this IowaLaw? 😉

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT