ADVERTISEMENT

Jack McCaffery: Officially Not Considering Iowa

All knowing - Karnack, why do you get in an argument on every thread. Just stay on topic. I know it is hard but please try.
He's an old guy with mental issues. He's had multiple names because he keeps losing his temper and showing his true personality and ultimately gets that current handle banned.

It'll be a lot tougher on here with the current moderation, but I have faith that ole gilligan will find a way.........;)

He's an old guy with mental issues. He's had multiple names because he keeps losing his temper and showing his true personality and ultimately gets that current handle banned.

It'll be a lot tougher on here with the current moderation, but I have faith that ole gilligan will find a way.........;)
Oh, it'll happen. It always does.

There's just not enough activity this time of year.

I agree with much of your comment, except for less recruiting base and less tradition. Iowa City is close enough to Chicago and Minneapolis to recruit those areas. Regarding tradition…they had the good years under Lute, Raveling, and Davis with top 20 (even top 10) numerous years, so not totally devoid of tradition.

I don’t disagree. Iowa City is within four(ish) hours of Minneapolis, Chicago, KC, St Louis and Omaha / Indianapolis aren’t much farther. Iowa was also ranked last in the B1G for recruiting base by the coaches.

Minneapolis and Chicago haven’t been the easiest places to pull from and if not mistaken, Patrick played with a lot of the talent from Minnesota.

Where Iowa is gaining ground is the in state talent seems to be coming back up over the past few years. Add in pulling from the IL QC’s. I’d probably argue Iowa’s recruiting base is better than Nebraska’s. Going forward I’d say recruiting base is pretty much pointless with NIL in play. Kids will go where the money is and distance won’t factor in really all that much. At least for the top 100 or so.

Jack stated that he's been thinking about leaving Iowa City for a while. Fran obviously told him there's no guarantee he will be at Iowa thru 2029 and that if he chose another school there's no guarantee that head coach would be there thru 2029.

It's too bad for Iowa basketball because Jack right now is 6'9 and really good; imagine what he will be like 2 years from now when he will be entering college. But this is what the Iowa fan base wants! No more McCafferys on scholarship at Iowa!

Back to the original quotes:

"I don't think I will go there. I made that up in my mind a while ago. I want to get away from home. I talked to my parents and brothers about it and I think that's the best thing for me."
I like Fran but he's welcome to move on at any time.
He's an ok coach, period.

Or the next lute Olson
Iowa fans would run off the next Lute Olsen as a matter of factly as they did the first Lute Olson.
Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, George Raveling, Steve Alford are all amongst the coaches that Iowa fans ran off.
Running off a highly ranked player who happens to be the coach's kid will set new precedent.
Congratulations Hawk fans. You know who you are.

Does anyone know the two high majors that Jack reportedly has offers from?
Ohio State and Notre Dame have "reached out"

I do not see Jack playing for another B10 program. Would be SHOCKED if that happens. Quite frankly, if Notre Dame offers I don't see him going anywhere else given the family ties to the school.

Iowa fans would run off the next Lute Olsen as a matter of factly as they did the first Lute Olson.
Ralph Miller, Lute Olson, George Raveling, Steve Alford are all amongst the coaches that Iowa fans ran off.
Running off a highly ranked player who happens to be the coach's kid will set new precedent.

So you think every Coach that leaves a school is “ run off”? And it’s only Iowa fans? Making millions requires some success

Ohio State and Notre Dame have "reached out"

I do not see Jack playing for another B10 program. Would be SHOCKED if that happens. Quite frankly, if Notre Dame offers I don't see him going anywhere else given the family ties to the school.
What if Notre Dame is in the Big 10 in 2 or 3 years. Does the family have any inside information on this, and that is why they are interested in going there, because of family history and wanting to give Iowa and the fan base the middle finger.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
I was on campus for 4 of Lute's years.....I don't remember fans running him off.

What if Notre Dame is in the Big 10 in 2 or 3 years. Does the family have any inside information on this, and that is why they are interested in going there, because of family history and wanting to give Iowa and the fan base the middle finger.
So you’re saying a guys who’s coached 13 years at a Power 5 conference would be so thin skinned (along with his family ) that they would do that? Look, I totally understand if the younger one wants a total fresh start. Frans a pretty polarizing figure as are both of his sons. He’s been a pretty solid coach honestly. He’s nearing that age of retirement anyway. Won’t lose any sleep when he goes. Circle of life.

I was on campus for 4 of Lute's years.....I don't remember fans running him off.
Lute in a interview when he got to Arizona that he left IA to get away from the fishbowl in IC so yeah he ran from the IA fans,

Miller went to Oregon to get away from the IA fans, as well. Alford left before he was fired all because of the IA fans.

the IA fans have caused coaches to leave or get run off because of IA's unrealistic expectations., they know as well as the big money boosters that IA is in a poor position when it comes to recruiting the level of recruits to compete against the Dukes, kentucky's. but that's the problem to many expect IA to beat them every time they play.

so yeah they not only left but they ran as fast they could to get away from IA fans and their over bloated expectations

So you’re saying a guys who’s coached 13 years at a Power 5 conference would be so thin skinned (along with his family ) that they would do that? Look, I totally understand if the younger one wants a total fresh start. Frans a pretty polarizing figure as are both of his sons. He’s been a pretty solid coach honestly. He’s nearing that age of retirement anyway. Won’t lose any sleep when he goes. Circle of life.
since when did you get in charge of how long he can now coach?

how many years as Izzo coached at MSU. or Painter at Purdue. well I guess they should quit/retire as the all mighty littlez has set the limiton how long any coach should remain at their current jobs.

now my question for you is how old and how long have you been at your current job?

If I remember right, Miller left because he got into it with the AD - was that Evy? AD didn't want to improve BB facilities or something like that. As for Lute leaving, the 'fish bowl' is a small town, everyone knows you, you can't go anywhere without people knowing who you are. Actually the opposite of being run off by fans, it was the fame and 'love' from the fans that was too much.

how many years as Izzo coached at MSU. or Painter at Purdue. well I guess they should quit/retire as the all mighty littlez has set the limiton how long any coach should remain at their current jobs.

now my question for you is how old and how long have you been at your current job?
also you are leaving out the attacks on his son's. that may have something to do with that thin skin you refer to. its own thing to brush off personal attacks but it is a whole nother thing to have your son's getting attacked.

fathers get to be a bit touchy about their kids. those kids didn't sign that LOI to take personal attacks.

even now posters are taking liberties with the youngest in Jack who will be just a SO in HIGH SCHOOL, NONE of you have any rights concerning the youngest. even minors have rights. but it seems like most you are ignoring those rights.

Reactions: mtown66
Agree. I think with Lute it was the opposite. He was revered by most in Iowa City and he just ended up being uncomfortable with being a huge fish in the tiny pond that was Iowa City. He said as much after he left for Tucson where the entire town doesn't revolve around college athletics.

I’m still waiting for your account numbers from your Schwab account.

If I remember right, Miller left because he got into it with the AD - was that Evy? AD didn't want to improve BB facilities or something like that. As for Lute leaving, the 'fish bowl' is a small town, everyone knows you, you can't go anywhere without people knowing who you are. Actually the opposite of being run off by fans, it was the fame and 'love' from the fans that was too much.

That's how I recall the Lute situation.

I thought Evy's big spat was with Ray Nagle, though that may have led Miller to conclude he wanted to work elsewhere, and following his success in '69-'70 had the opportunity. Midwest winters might have had something to do with both of those departures also.

Reactions: littlez
Lute in a interview when he got to Arizona that he left IA to get away from the fishbowl in IC so yeah he ran from the IA fans,

Miller went to Oregon to get away from the IA fans, as well. Alford left before he was fired all because of the IA fans.

the IA fans have caused coaches to leave or get run off because of IA's unrealistic expectations., they know as well as the big money boosters that IA is in a poor position when it comes to recruiting the level of recruits to compete against the Dukes, kentucky's. but that's the problem to many expect IA to beat them every time they play.

so yeah they not only left but they ran as fast they could to get away from IA fans and their over bloated expectations
Iowa fans are the same as other fans, except for the raaatards like you

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Slim45 and BlameIt
Agree. I think with Lute it was the opposite. He was revered by most in Iowa City and he just ended up being uncomfortable with being a huge fish in the tiny pond that was Iowa City. He said as much after he left for Tucson where the entire town doesn't revolve around college athletics.

Lute had battled for two studs out of Chicago and come up 2nd or 3rd...Isaiah Thomas and Cumming, both
ended up being NBA players. So I think Lute realized that recruiting to Iowa was tough but AZ being close to CA was a place he could recruit more easily.

Then there was the weather in Iowa ....Lute and his wife and his kids had come out of Long Beach in CA. My take is the Fishbowl aspect of Iowa City was the least influential.

Looking back, Lute had recruited guys lke Todd Berkenpass, Snedeker, and Anderson...no very good B-ball players. It was good time for Lute to leave someone else with that mess.

Raveling really did a great job restocking the talent level and looking back was underrated. Davis gets a lot of credit, but given the talent on that 87 squad, really he coulda/shoulda won it all. I don't think we'll ever see a Final Four or Elite 8 again. Collge B-ball landscape has changed a lot. Fran did a good job collecting Garza, Weezy, and two Murrays on one team and he blew it.

I doubt Fran makes a run in NCAA before he leaves. He's got a system that wins 51% of his B1G games, good enough to satisfy Fran Fans. Not playing defense means early exit in NCAA.

If Jack is really responsible for that accident he needs to leave town and get a fresh start. That is going to follow him around wherever he ends up.

I’m still waiting for your account numbers from your Schwab account.
1st you provide you name and address so that I can give either the FBI or the IA Department of Investgation for trying to get my private financial information. plus I am curious to know how they would feel about this site the platform to try and get that information?

Reactions: dean_oliver222

False. Pre social media, no one knew what fans think of every minute detail of a program. Lute came here from California and the late 70's Iowa experienced some of the worst winters in history. Bobbi wanted to leave. Miller left after 5 of the 6 pack graduated and he had little left or recruited. Dr. Tom is actually still here, he loved it here. Some big money alumni thought we could do better. So far they've been proven wrong...

This one's jarring isn't it? I mean, being up front about not even considering Iowa...

Like it's proof of the existence of a kind of fundamental animosity between the McCaffery family and us, the Iowa fans.

Doesn't feel like a healthy relationship going forward and I can't help but think the end is close. Not that I couldn't be wrong on all this and he just personally wants to leave Iowa City that badly.
It might not have anything to do with Iowa. It could simply be a decision that playing for his Dad isn’t the best thing for either of them.

Jack stated that he's been thinking about leaving Iowa City for a while. Fran obviously told him there's no guarantee he will be at Iowa thru 2029 and that if he chose another school there's no guarantee that head coach would be there thru 2029.

It's too bad for Iowa basketball because Jack right now is 6'9 and really good; imagine what he will be like 2 years from now when he will be entering college. But this is what the Iowa fan base wants! No more McCafferys on scholarship at Iowa!

Back to the original quotes:

"I don't think I will go there. I made that up in my mind a while ago. I want to get away from home. I talked to my parents and brothers about it and I think that's the best thing for me."

Reactions: mtown66
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT