ADVERTISEMENT

James Franklin

Championship caliber ? Hard to say, but so far psu has give up an average of just under five a game while averaging 47 per game. Yeah, not against top five teams.
But Iowa State and North Texas State aren't world beaters either .

Let's blame Maryland. They got the whole thing started by refusing to shake hands with PSU captains before the game and their coach supporting it. Or maybe James Franklin was just an a-hole anyway, I don't know.

Championship caliber ? Hard to say, but so far psu has give up an average of just under five a game while averaging 47 per game. Yeah, not against top five teams.
I have doubt you will put up 30 plus also, just saying Iowa has several playmakers besides Wadley.

Most coaches don't kick a field goal down by 56. That said , if your team beat OSU , won the big 10 and got left out of the playoffs last year because of the "looks" test, you'd probably want a shutout too.
Get the shut out by keeping them out of FG role. Not poor sportsmanship to attempt a field goal to keep from getting blanked....but up 56, ice the kicker on in the last minute of the game? Come on.

Who cares if he iced the kicker? Chalk it up to trying to help the kid get better. Some of you need to lighten up.

lol...you've been in one championship game, same as Iowa. You've done nothing post raping little boys is acceptable as long as we win. Reap the whirl wind. Prepare to lose under the lights in Kinnick. Right always prevails over wrong.
This is so stupid and immature. Any large institution has members that have betrayed the collective trust. Abe Satterfield and Cedric Everson anyone? You can go on and on.

There are 3 administrators that paid with their jobs, their reputations, and jail time. And one, who everyone seems to be fixated on, who was never charged with anything. And despite what everyone crows about, institutional cover-up was never proven (hell it wasn't even a question--because there was no evidence) which was the only accusation linking the whole sordid affair to the football team. I will remind you this was an ex-coach.

Despite how emotionally charged and despicable the crimes were you cannot pin them on an entire community. And to repeatedly do so on a football board exposes the true intent.

If your intent is to shut down discussion, or let's say "shout down" (which seems to be a common method in today's discourse) than you will indeed succeed, but what's the point? This is an open football board, there is a reason open football boards exist--so fans of other teams can visit and have a spirited, even heated discussion. But all you idiots that put that under heated discussion are just that--idiots. First, you're cowards, you wouldn't say that to a large man to his face (because you'd get yours punched).. Second, your intent is to make the other poster pick up his football and go home, but that's not the purpose of an open football board is it???? So you're still an idiot.

But I know, I know, it's just too damn tempting. Go ahead and do it, it has zero true effect (as you may have noticed with the continuing success of the program), and may even become locker room material (by the way, we still remember your student section from last time we were at Kinnick)......that right there is permanent locker room material.

Last edited:
What a bunch of hypocrites.

You know damn well that if your team was facing the same situation & Ferentz called for a timeout, you will all be cheering him as a coaching genius.

no. I would be pissed and would call a spade a spade, and I am one of the bigger Ferentz fans on here. Most likely because he has demonstrated he would never pull such a doooooooooooooooooossssssssshhhhhhh move as that.

Only a jerk-off completely swallowed in his own ego would do something like that.

Reactions: HawkGem11
This is so stupid and immature. Any large institution has members that have betrayed the collective trust. Abe Satterfield and Cedric Everson anyone? You can go on and on.

There are 3 administrators that paid with their jobs, their reputations, and jail time. And one, who everyone seems to be fixated on, who was never charged with anything. And despite what everyone crows about, institutional cover-up was never proven (hell it wasn't even a question--because there was no evidence) which was the only accusation linking the whole sordid affair to the football team. I will remind you this was an ex-coach.

Despite how emotionally charged and despicable the crimes were you cannot pin them on an entire community. And to repeatedly do so on a football board exposes the true intent.

If your intent is to shut down discussion, or let's say "shout down" (which seems to be a common method in today's discourse) than you will indeed succeed, but what's the point? This is an open football board, there is a reason open football boards exist--so fans of other teams can visit and have a spirited, even heated discussion. But all you idiots that put that under heated discussion are just that--idiots. First, you're cowards, you wouldn't say that to a large man to his face (because you'd get yours punched).. Second, your intent is to make the other poster pick up his football and go home, but that's not the purpose of an open football board is it???? So you're still an idiot.

But I know, I know, it's just too damn tempting. Go ahead and do it, it has zero true effect (as you may have noticed with the continuing success of the program), and may even become locker room material (by the way, we still remember your student section from last time we were at Kinnick)......that right there is permanent locker room material.
What did the student section say?

I think Iowa State may actually be a better team than anybody you guys have played so far. Time will tell, and while time may prove me right I also understand that means nothing for our game. I'd agree North TX isn't good.

Reactions: David1979
Wasn't a fan of his when he came out about coaches negatively recruiting against Penn State (like you really need to do that given what has gone on). Then he does that same against Iowa recruits telling them Kirk was going to retire soon. That 10 year extension...

You make good points. Despite following Iowa football pretty closely, I don't recall any controversy concerning our student section. Can you provide more info?

What a bunch of hypocrites.

You know damn well that if your team was facing the same situation & Ferentz called for a timeout, you will all be cheering him as a coaching genius.

NO at Iowa we actually have class we would have RIPPED him apart for being a JA!

I read different things going on at a lot of schools drugs,kids not going to class and like you said in your post we had a few make bad choices off the field but this crap that happen in Penn St is sick and was going on for years so many people out east heard about this sick Basturd long before anything was done but nobody stood up and took action I just can't believe Penn St Fans do not understand why it really bothers outsiders

I think what happened at Penn State still bothers a small subset of internet weirdos . You have the insane crowd at BWI ( the only board I see tolerate their nonsense ), and a small percent of rival fans who need to get a life .
I lived out Iowa for three years and knew many great hawkeye fans. I must have been in Iowa City , a great place , 10-20 times or so .
But Iowa like Penn State has a certain amount of deranged white trash fans who act the same way. I can't clean up bwi, I don't own it and I've been banned for thinking Penn State officials and Joe knew, but hopefully they can clean up this place .
If not you'll have another uninhabitable board .

I think Iowa State may actually be a better team than anybody you guys have played so far. Time will tell, and while time may prove me right I also understand that means nothing for our game. I'd agree North TX isn't good.

Might be, it's hard to say. I didn't see them play unfortunately.

First off we know KF pretty well after almost 20 years as HC, and I guarantee you he would NEVER make a douche move like that. We have seen him take a knee inside the five in countless games, when the game was decided, rather then try to score meaningless points in a game already decided, and sure as hell not in a game we were winning 56-0. And its not only what Franklin did, but everything that goes with it. You could clearly see how upset he was, that they were kicking. Then after the fact he makes up all these reasons why he felt it imperative that he not allow them to score their three lousy points. Better he just moves on and stops defending his actions.

IIR Franklin eased up on Iowa late last year?

Got a problem with Franklin? With Penn State? With the fans? Put your money where your mouths are and beat us. You have a nice team and so do we. Should be a fun game to watch.

Got a problem with Franklin? Kind of. With Penn State? No. With the fans? No. You have good ones and bad ones, just like all teams. Put your money where your mouths are and beat us. I did. You have a nice team and so do we. You guys are really good. There is no telling how good the Hawks are this year. We will find out Saturday night. Should be a fun game to watch. I think so too!! We have a revenge factor along with a home night game against a top 4 opponent.

Franklin is the same guy who won't hire an assistant coach if he feels that guy's wife isn't attractive enough. Something about having confidence to go after bimbos. He's a win-at-all-cost type of guy. He'll probably cover up more rapes and such just like he did at Vandy. I guess that's why they like him so much at psu.
I like how some of you guys make up crimes. I think Ferentz should stop beating up old ladies. There I said it, so it must be true.

Reactions: boomysmith
He (they) could beat IOWA 56-0 next week and he is still a douche bag, nozzle included. Icing a kicker while up 56-0 is the definition of a douche bag, nozzle included. Next week does not change that.
Yeah, he did that. But to be fair, it was only after their coach tried earnestly to score at the end (the last couple of minutes) just to try to shatter their shutout.

Wasn't a fan of his when he came out about coaches negatively recruiting against Penn State (like you really need to do that given what has gone on). Then he does that same against Iowa recruits telling them Kirk was going to retire soon. That 10 year extension...

I very highly doubt we are recruiting any of the same players you are. I can't think of a single one that we were up against you for. Must be nice to just make things up.

Franklin is the same guy who won't hire an assistant coach if he feels that guy's wife isn't attractive enough. Something about having confidence to go after bimbos. He's a win-at-all-cost type of guy. He'll probably cover up more rapes and such just like he did at Vandy. I guess that's why they like him so much at psu.

Win-at-all-cost guy? He sat down two of our top players for the Rose Bowl last year when we we could have really used them. Including a receiver who at 155 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Big crap championship game. He also sat one of our top linebackers who we could have REALLY used when we had one go down. But yeah, win-at-all-cost.

I don't know why I bother replying to people who just make up what they want to believe. Authorities in September 2014 said Franklin had not done anything inappropriate and had cooperated in the investigation. If he "covered up rapes" at Vandy, wouldn't you think he would have been prosecuted?

But clearly that doesn't stop people like you from making things up as you go along. You don't want to like Franklin so you pull lies out of your ass. I wonder if his skin color has anything to do with your feelings.

I very highly doubt we are recruiting any of the same players you are. I can't think of a single one that we were up against you for. Must be nice to just make things up.

We used to battle PSU for recruits and had a good amount of success in the state, you may not have offered or recruiting Hinkel, Sanders or Jovon Johnson, but if memory serves correctly you were certainly after Jeremiha Hunter. Inexplicably, KF pulled out of recruiting the state of PA after the Sean Lee recruitment, never understood why we packed up our bags so quickly. It appears we've dipped our toes back into PA but we are after more of the under the radar type guys versus 4* talent that has a PSU offer to consider, which is understandable.

Win-at-all-cost guy? He sat down two of our top players for the Rose Bowl last year when we we could have really used them. Including a receiver who at 155 yards and 2 touchdowns in the Big crap championship game. He also sat one of our top linebackers who we could have REALLY used when we had one go down. But yeah, win-at-all-cost.

I don't know why I bother replying to people who just make up what they want to believe. Authorities in September 2014 said Franklin had not done anything inappropriate and had cooperated in the investigation. If he "covered up rapes" at Vandy, wouldn't you think he would have been prosecuted?

But clearly that doesn't stop people like you from making things up as you go along. You don't want to like Franklin so you pull lies out of your ass. I wonder if his skin color has anything to do with your feelings.

Good god. Race baiting? The fact is a tool is still a tool regardless of skin color. I bet if you took a vote around college football he would be a top 5 douche bag.

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife," Franklin said. "If she looks the part, and she's a D-1 recruit, then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal."

“It’s 56-0, let him kick the ball! And then try to lie about it. What a stooge,” Francesa said. “What he hasn’t got is any class, because why would you do that to a kid up 56-0?! ‘We had our fourth team on the field, we didn’t have a fourth-team field-goal block.’ What the heck do you need to block it for?! Let the ball go through the uprights, you jerk. So he calls timeout to get the second-team field-goal block in. What a bunch of garbage that is. He sells you that, he’ll sell you anything. The guy iced him, plain and simple, because he wanted a shutout.”

"Just got a DM from father of a 4* prospect. “We’ve visited (OSU, UM, MSU and PSU) - the ONLY person that negatively recruited was Franklin."

Franklin contacted the victim of the rape at Vanderbilt but all their communication via text messages had gone missing and were never turned over to the defense.

Franklin may have broken NCAA rules via his interactions with the victim. The filing alleges he summoned the woman to his office one day for a meeting and said, "he wanted her to get fifteen pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Are you aware of who Francesa is? I assume you don't because if you did, I doubt you would be quoting him. I live in NYC and can assure you, he is a horses ass. So, I really don't care about a word that guys says.

The wife thing was a mistake, he apologized for it, but I am sorry he would never hire you.

I have no clue who that prospect was or who even made that quote. But it sounds like BS to me.

Strange, you guys are so upset with him contacting the victim and yet, everyone said Joe Paterno was supposed to go out and track down every victim. Which is it?

Good god. Race baiting? The fact is a tool is still a tool regardless of skin color. I bet if you took a vote around college football he would be a top 5 douche bag.

"I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife," Franklin said. "If she looks the part, and she's a D-1 recruit, then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal."

“It’s 56-0, let him kick the ball! And then try to lie about it. What a stooge,” Francesa said. “What he hasn’t got is any class, because why would you do that to a kid up 56-0?! ‘We had our fourth team on the field, we didn’t have a fourth-team field-goal block.’ What the heck do you need to block it for?! Let the ball go through the uprights, you jerk. So he calls timeout to get the second-team field-goal block in. What a bunch of garbage that is. He sells you that, he’ll sell you anything. The guy iced him, plain and simple, because he wanted a shutout.”

"Just got a DM from father of a 4* prospect. “We’ve visited (OSU, UM, MSU and PSU) - the ONLY person that negatively recruited was Franklin."

Franklin contacted the victim of the rape at Vanderbilt but all their communication via text messages had gone missing and were never turned over to the defense.

Franklin may have broken NCAA rules via his interactions with the victim. The filing alleges he summoned the woman to his office one day for a meeting and said, "he wanted her to get fifteen pretty girls together and form a team to assist with the recruiting even though he knew it was against the rules. He added that all the other colleges did it."

Certainly you gave this a lot of thought, but theirs several key holes in your logic. Yes there are bad apples at every institution from time to time. The key is what do those in charge DO about it. Satterfield and Everson were certainly bad apples, and they were dealt with swiftly by KF once he had the information. Neither of these players ever played another down or step foot on Iowa's campus again. As to the "ex coach" being the one who committed these attrocities at PSU, True, but his friend Joe Pa allowed him access to the schools facilities, lockerooms, etc.. even after he was not a coach there. Sandusky used this access to meet with victims. Even if Joe Pa did not know until later, what was going on,"which has been disputed by a number of people", he was still at minimum an enabler to this terrible situation, and he was the institution of PSU football.

Are you aware of who Francesa is? I assume you don't because if you did, I doubt you would be quoting him. I live in NYC and can assure you, he is a horses ass. So, I really don't care about a word that guys says.

The wife thing was a mistake, he apologized for it, but I am sorry he would never hire you.

I have no clue who that prospect was or who even made that quote. But it sounds like BS to me.

Strange, you guys are so upset with him contacting the victim and yet, everyone said Joe Paterno was supposed to go out and track down every victim. Which is it?

Regardless. He is correct on Franklin. It isn't BS. Franklin is a world class douchebag who accused schools of negatively recruiting against him when he was doing it. Full projection. I am not upset about him contacting the victim. Just find it rather strange he did that and then there is no record of what he said. Then he said at one point he saw the videos, then said he lied about seeing them and he really didn't. Also missing from evidence where other communications regarding the incident between Franklin and other university officials. That is kind of shady. Not saying he did or didn't do anything wrong but you think Penn State would want to stay away from someone with even a hint of wrongdoing. But I think there are too many people at Penn State still who think Paterno didn't do anything wrong and act like they are some kind of victim of the NCAA instead of focusing on the real victims.

I don't have a problem with Penn State the University. It is a good university and has a beautiful campus. But it's football program is tainted and the tradition it had is now clouded by the most atrocious activity in the history of college athletics.

Regardless. He is correct on Franklin. It isn't BS. Franklin is a world class douchebag who accused schools of negatively recruiting against him when he was doing it. Full projection. I am not upset about him contacting the victim. Just find it rather strange he did that and then there is no record of what he said. Then he said at one point he saw the videos, then said he lied about seeing them and he really didn't. Also missing from evidence where other communications regarding the incident between Franklin and other university officials. That is kind of shady. Not saying he did or didn't do anything wrong but you think Penn State would want to stay away from someone with even a hint of wrongdoing. But I think there are too many people at Penn State still who think Paterno didn't do anything wrong and act like they are some kind of victim of the NCAA instead of focusing on the real victims.

I don't have a problem with Penn State the University. It is a good university and has a beautiful campus. But it's football program is tainted and the tradition it had is now clouded by the most atrocious activity in the history of college athletics.

1. This is all your opinion based on what you want to believe. Fair enough, you have the right. But look no further than your explanation of him lying about seeing the video. I am not really sure what you are suggesting with that, but he says he lied when chewing out his team. He didn't lie to investigators, or the administration. Parents do this all the time.

"I had just gotten done meeting with the administration and I didn't want to go in and water my message down to the team," Franklin testified. "I didn't want to say 'I was told (or) I saw a video from somebody else.' That's what I did. I addressed the team and spoke as if I had seen the video because I was angry and upset and I didn't want to water down the message to them.
"I did talk about the video as if I had seen it, based on what was described to me from the administration. I didn't think that was the right way to deliver my message to the team at the time."

2. In your mind and in the mind of many other know nothings, our program is tainted. But in the minds of our fans and our #3 ranked recruiting class, we are just fine. I know that must really make you even more angry. I know Rutgers and Pitt fans are upset because they couldn't wait to take advantage of this horrible scandal to better their own team. It pains them to watch us now.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Yeah, he did that. But to be fair, it was only after their coach tried earnestly to score at the end (the last couple of minutes) just to try to shatter their shutout.
And wtf is wrong with "earnestly" trying to score when you're down 56-0?????

You want me to get a list of all the kids Penn State recruits and ones Iowa does? There is more overlap than you think. I know Iowa loses the battles most of the time, especially to kids from that part of the country. The claim was brought up last year after Franklin was complaining about Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Notre Dame doing it.

It was one of the reasons why Barta gave Kirk a 10 year extension, because Franklin and other coaches were telling recruits that Kirk was going to retire in a couple years so he wouldn't be around for long.

1. This is all your opinion based on what you want to believe. Fair enough, you have the right. But look no further than your explanation of him lying about seeing the video. I am not really sure what you are suggesting with that, but he says he lied when chewing out his team. He didn't lie to investigators, or the administration. Parents do this all the time.

"I had just gotten done meeting with the administration and I didn't want to go in and water my message down to the team," Franklin testified. "I didn't want to say 'I was told (or) I saw a video from somebody else.' That's what I did. I addressed the team and spoke as if I had seen the video because I was angry and upset and I didn't want to water down the message to them.
"I did talk about the video as if I had seen it, based on what was described to me from the administration. I didn't think that was the right way to deliver my message to the team at the time."

2. In your mind and in the mind of many other know nothings, our program is tainted. But in the minds of our fans and our #3 ranked recruiting class, we are just fine. I know that must really make you even more angry. I know Rutgers and Pitt fans are upset because they couldn't wait to take advantage of this horrible scandal to better their own team. It pains them to watch us now.

Just shows his proclivity to lie constantly. Like him crying in front of his Vanderbilt team saying there is no way he would leave and promising them he wasn't going to. Then a couple days later leaves for the PSU job.

Well therein lies the problem. Thinking everything is fine and that your program isn't tainted. Frankly, it is kind of sickening regardless of whether PSU is #1 or #100 that you continue to support an athletics program that let child rape happen. And if you think fans of other teams are upset because they couldn't take advantage of a tainted PSU... well, that is just another thing that tells me what kind of person you are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT