ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Weiskamp

Oh, I'd agree Korver and Hinrich were far better pros. But that wasn't the way I looked at the original question referring to "the best guard out of Iowa". I don't follow the pro game much and was strictly looking at their college performance. I believe he actually outscored Hinnrich by about 100 points in his college career, 1847 to 1753 I'd agree if you factor in the pro game then it isn't close.
Yeah, don't forget Hoiberg.

Joe’s talents can really help
To open up this offense.
I hope he commits to the weight room so his body is B1G ready by the time he laced them up for the Hawks.

From when I have seen him play, he could play either SG or SF as he shoots really well but also is very active around the rim. Really excited to have him in black & gold.

Reactions: johnnashhawk
most list Joe at 6'6, it doesn't matter, Joe fits the versatility that Fran wants in his players being able to play multiple positions. the most consistant report is that he is the consummate team player always looking to get his teammates involved.

to me when Joe gets here he can start at the 2 or 3 with ease. how Moss plays this year will determine where he starts, not expecting big number but I am hoping he is more consistant and then stays at the 2, if not Moss may slide to the 3 and Joe starts at the 2.

it is going to interesting this season to see improved and who doesn't or at worst just stays steady year to year.

Reactions: Ronman
I hope Moss steps up the way everyone assumes he will. This is his 3rd year in the program and it will be quite a leap if he does.

I'd bet we will see a fair amount of J Bo, Conner, and Joe on the floor at once when Joe gets to campus. With Conner as a distributor and J Bo and Joe providing deep threats our inside game would be tough to stop too. Assuming Cook and Garza start next year that leaves Pemsl, Kriener, Baer, Nunge, and Wagner as experienced bigs and Moss, Brady, and CJ Fredrick as shooters off the bench.

No team in the league will have that kind of experienced firepower off the bench.

We all should be more excited about this signing then we seem to be. Probably because Joe committed a long time ago. Everybody wanted this kid and fortunately he loved the hawkeyes and spurned ISU and everyone else. I really think he will be a program changer. He can score and he can defend. Hard to guard.

I hope Moss steps up the way everyone assumes he will. This is his 3rd year in the program and it will be quite a leap if he does.

I'd bet we will see a fair amount of J Bo, Conner, and Joe on the floor at once when Joe gets to campus. With Conner as a distributor and J Bo and Joe providing deep threats our inside game would be tough to stop too. Assuming Cook and Garza start next year that leaves Pemsl, Kriener, Baer, Nunge, and Wagner as experienced bigs and Moss, Brady, and CJ Fredrick as shooters off the bench.

No team in the league will have that kind of experienced firepower off the bench.
If Moss improves like Fran and others have said he has, I don't see Joe starting over him next year. Maybe towards the end of the season. Joe may not start till his Junior year. If either of those scenarios are true, I think it will have more to do with Moss's success than Joe's lack thereof. I look at Pat's situation the same way. I don't see Pat starting till his sophomore year. I don't even think Pat plays a whole lot his freshman year. Some of you may disagree with me and yes I understand how good both Joe & Pat could be. Outside of Wieskamp, I don't think we have significant minutes to offer anyone not on our current roster, until 2020-2021. Barring injuries, anybody going pro or transfers by anybody but Ellingson or Dailey of course.

Last edited:
We all should be more excited about this signing then we seem to be. Probably because Joe committed a long time ago. Everybody wanted this kid and fortunately he loved the hawkeyes and spurned ISU and everyone else. I really think he will be a program changer. He can score and he can defend. Hard to guard.

I don't know that I would call him a "program changer" as there are just a handful of those guys each year in college hoops. I do think he can be a very, very good player on a team with good players. That should allow him to be even more effective, as he's not going to be counted on to score a bunch of points immediately. And he is a very good well-rounded player who can rebound, play defense, take the ball to the basket, etc. Wish he was playing for Iowa this year, and look forward to next year.

If Moss improves like Fran and others have said he has, I don't see Joe starting over him next year. Maybe towards the end of the season. Joe may not start till his Junior year. I don't see Pat starting till his sophomore year. I don't even think Pat plays a whole lot his freshman year. Some of you may disagree with me and yes I understand how good both Joe & Pat could be. Outside of Wieskamp, I don't think we have significant minutes to offer anyone not on our current roster, until 2020-2021. Barring injuries, anybody going pro or transfers by anybody but Ellingson or Dailey of course.
I think Joe is a "program changer" in the sense that he will move us from a top 25-30 program to top 10 during his career. If he isn't starting as a freshman then he definitely starts as a sophomore.

Reactions: johnnashhawk
I think Joe is a "program changer" in the sense that he will move us from a top 25-30 program to top 10 during his career. If he isn't starting as a freshman then he definitely starts as a sophomore.
The great thing about Joe is he is exactly what we need for next year. Considering what we should have roster wise next year he's a perfect fit. A very unselfish very skilled wing with good athleticism.

I heard that Joe is young for his class and isn’t done growing and that he’s actually 30 pounds heavier than listed and that Fran promised him he could start at all 5 positions at the same time, so everyone else is bein “Franned”.

Joe will start right away. I’ve watched him a few times, including a 30 point performance against IC West when he was double and triple teamed the whole game. He is the best player we have had come in since Tyler Smith. No way he isn’t in the starting line up. There isn’t a whole lot of difference anymore in the way the 2 and the 3 play, he will start along with Moss. Baer will come the bench.

Reactions: skydog0784
Joe will start right away. I’ve watched him a few times, including a 30 point performance against IC West when he was double and triple teamed the whole game. He is the best player we have had come in since Tyler Smith. No way he isn’t in the starting line up. There isn’t a whole lot of difference anymore in the way the 2 and the 3 play, he will start along with Moss. Baer will come the bench.
Jack Nunge ?

Reactions: bigfische
no offense to Joe but he has not even stepped one foot onto Carver arena floor,
can't we wait till he starts playing at the college level before saying he is the best ever?
Wieskamp should be a very good player but I will wait till he starts playing College ball,
How does this change the fact that you were completely wrong to compare Hansen and Haluska to Heinrich and Korver?

Reactions: unIowa

Moss will not be coming off the bench. He is too good on both sides. He has been insanely efficient this year on offense and he seems to be the one guard that at least has the physical capabilities of manning a guy up and not eating burned. His off ball ball defense could use some work.

Jack Nunge is the best NBA prospect i've seen in my almost 30 years of watching Iowa.

Nunge is better suited to be a stretch 4 than a 3. Weiscamp can guard the perimeter better than Nunge. It's an interesting dilemma. In my opinion, the best starting lineup would be Garza, Nunge, Weiscamp, Moss, and Bohannon. We would have shooters everywhere and the floor would be optimally spaced. That's not going to happen though. Most likely Weiscamp will start on the bench with Cook starting.

Reactions: ICTrojans99
Nunge is better suited to be a stretch 4 than a 3. Weiscamp can guard the perimeter better than Nunge. It's an interesting dilemma. In my opinion, the best starting lineup would be Garza, Nunge, Weiscamp, Moss, and Bohannon. We would have shooters everywhere and the floor would be optimally spaced. That's not going to happen though. Most likely Weiscamp will start on the bench with Cook starting.
as it should be, no way do you have Cook come off the bench,
here is my starting 5 when Wieskamp gets on campus
1 JBo
2 Moss
3 Wieskamp
4 Cook
5 Garza
6th man Baer
then after that its any bodies guess as to how and when players play.

Reactions: Mohawkeye

5. Garza
4. Cook
3. Joe
2. Moss
1. JoBo

First off bench: 3. Nunge, 2. Baer, 4. Pemsl 1. Connor, 5. Kriener Sprinkle in BE, MD, AW as needed

as it should be, no way do you have Cook come off the bench,
here is my starting 5 when Wieskamp gets on campus
1 JBo
2 Moss
3 Wieskamp
4 Cook
5 Garza
6th man Baer
then after that its any bodies guess as to how and when players play.

weren't you the one chastising posters for making claims about the kid before he even steps on campus? Now you are making him a starter before he even "starts playing college ball"?

why do you hate jack nunge?

Reactions: unIowa
weren't you the one chastising posters for making claims about the kid before he even steps on campus? Now you are making him a starter before he even "starts playing college ball"?

why do you hate jack nunge?
HMMM don't remember chastising anyone, but Nunge is playing the 3 because there really nobody else at his level, Wieskamp brings that with him next season and when Baer gets healthy Nunges minutes at the 3 will go down and this is where I concede there will be another player other than Garza and Kriener at the 5, it will be Nunge as he can play the stretch 4 to a tee. with the ability to use his 7' frame for mismatches.

The great thing about Joe is he is exactly what we need for next year. Considering what we should have roster wise next year he's a perfect fit. A very unselfish very skilled wing with good athleticism.

Yep...the team could use him this year.

Having said that people who think he will displace Moss just need to go and take a peek at Moss's stat line for the season (I know it is early), also I think I heard he went 14-16 from deep on the no defense Euro trip.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT