ADVERTISEMENT

Juwan Howard or Mike Woodson?

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Which fan base will get tired of mediocrity and call for a change. They both are use to winning.

Which fan base will get tired of mediocrity and call for a change. They both are use to winning.
I would put coaches with the hottest seats in the league as:
1. Holtmann
2. Howard
3. Woodson
4. Johnson (I think he gets another year now at least)

-The only reason that Holtmann will keep his job is there is some complicated timing issues with the AD transition, however, the new AD will start on March 1 as an adviser--so ultimately I do think that they'll be able to make a change.

-Reports out of Michigan is that the AD does not really want to fire Howard. It's always awkward when it's a legendary former player + Howard had major heart surgery this offseason (and supposedly his heart condition was much worse than originally believed, some have said that he is very lucky to still be alive, much less coaching basketball). Ultimately, if they finish last in the Big Ten like they are barreling towards, I do think there might be a "mutual parting" type of deal where Howard gets to step down and focus on his health.

-Woodson I would have thought gets another year after 2 straight tournament appearances, but it's getting toxic there quickly. Dusty May is an obvious hire and I think some boosters will push Woodson out the door before May goes to a different high-major job such as the other 2 Big Ten teams that might have openings. Woodson will need to win some down the stretch here to make it I think. Which if you would have told me that a month ago I would have probably told you that you were blowing things out of proportion.

Forgot about Holtman. He has to be treading
on thin ice.
The other job that'll be likely opening this offseason that will be joining the conference soon is Washington. The new AD there is almost certainly making that change unless they go on a crazy tear and make the tournament. USC & Enfield's seat is quite hot as well, but not sure if they will actually move on or if they give him another year.

Maryland has gone down hill ever since Williams retired. Turgeon did pretty good but his replacement, Kevin Willard won’t last if he isn’t challenging for titles and making runs in the NCAA tourney.

Hard to believe Holtman survives.
This year’s BT/January swoon is almost a mirror image to last year’s.

Howard it seems is headed for a “health related” early retirement and settled buy out.

My guy, Woody, despite how bad it gets, May get one more year. Only in Year 3 and has a $10-$12 million buyout. Donors just paid $15.5 million to send Tom Allen packing. Find it hard to believe 4 months later they will want to buy out Woody too. At age 65, the hope is he’ll walk away with a negotiated buyout.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I would find it rather humorous if they both (JH and MW) got canned. A lot of big talk when they took over their respective team.

Hard to believe Holtman survives.
This year’s BT/January swoon is almost a mirror image to last year’s.

Howard it seems is headed for a “health related” early retirement and settled buy out.

My guy, Woody, despite how bad it gets, May get one more year. Only in Year 3 and has a $10-$12 million buyout. Donors just paid $15.5 million to send Tom Allen packing. Find it hard to believe 4 months later they will want to buy out Woody too. At age 65, the hope is he’ll walk away with a negotiated buyout.
Isn’t your team pretty young minus Xavier and Trey? Also how are your guys that got banged up vs the Hawks the other night?

Maryland has gone down hill ever since Williams retired. Turgeon did pretty good but his replacement, Kevin Willard won’t last if he isn’t challenging for titles and making runs in the NCAA tourney.
He will make it to next year at the very least. Last season being a tournament team in year 1 built him up a lot of good graces. I also don't think Maryland has the boosters/money that their fan base thinks they have. I was very surprised when I was told their NIL situation isn't great. I think teams in bigger metros seem to be struggling to raise the funds needed to be competitive in NIL for some reason--that's why UCLA has gone south quickly too.

He will make it to next year at the very least. Last season being a tournament team in year 1 built him up a lot of good graces. I also don't think Maryland has the boosters/money that their fan base thinks they have. I was very surprised when I was told their NIL situation isn't great. I think teams in bigger metros seem to be struggling to raise the funds needed to be competitive in NIL for some reason--that's why UCLA has gone south quickly too.
I lived on East coast many years ago. My impression was they were more into pro sports than college sports vs Iowans that don't have a pro team. What the level is of NIL money by school/program is kinda a black box. It would be interesting to know where Iowa stands in Football and Basketball relative to other programs. As far as money available to athletic department---Iowa actually ranks pretty high. The last numbers I saw was Iowa was 22nd ranked college program for athletic Revenue. I've often heard that Iowa was ranked the 11th most desireable mens b-ball program in the B1G in some mysterious ranking done years ago from a questionaire to B1G coaches. With the Athletic department revenue + decent NIL, Iowa actually is more like a middle of the pack program financially which fits with Fran's B1G winning percentage of around 0.51 in B1G play over 14 years.

I lived on East coast many years ago. My impression was they were more into pro sports than college sports vs Iowans that don't have a pro team. What the level is of NIL money by school/program is kinda a black box. It would be interesting to know where Iowa stands in Football and Basketball relative to other programs. As far as money available to athletic department---Iowa actually ranks pretty high. The last numbers I saw was Iowa was 22nd ranked college program for athletic Revenue. I've often heard that Iowa was ranked the 11th most desireable mens b-ball program in the B1G in some mysterious ranking done years ago from a questionaire to B1G coaches. With the Athletic department revenue + decent NIL, Iowa actually is more like a middle of the pack program financially which fits with Fran's B1G winning percentage of around 0.51 in B1G play over 14 years.
From some public things that Heinrichs has done recently, he thinks the Swarm/Iowa is near the top-5 in the conference in terms of NIL currently, but he has specifically mentioned how much more difficult it has been to raise money for basketball. There are a lot of donors that give specifically towards football.

The biggest challenge IMO with the Iowa job specifically has been the recruiting ground. Competing with an in-state school for Iowa kids (a state in which produces roughly 1-2 power 6 kids a year). Plus the other major cities surrounding Iowa--Omaha, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Chicago all have power 6 schools that are on-par or better located in or near those cities. Chicago may be the exception, but the recent climate of Chicago-land kids almost always leaving to go play at prep schools has created even more issues. All of that being said, I think in 2024's climate of NIL and national scale of recruiting this should be less and less of an issue going forward. So I agree, I think Iowa is probably getting closer to being a mid-level Big Ten job, but I also say that with knowing that hoops NIL really needs to step up quickly if we want to maintain that. The job is not going to be as attractive as a mid-level Big Ten job if the NIL is in the bottom 5 of the conference when we next have an opening.

Reactions: Andrew Houk
Isn’t your team pretty young minus Xavier and Trey? Also how are your guys that got banged up vs the Hawks the other night?
Everyone played, except X yesterday. Game started okay with IU getting out to an 11 point lead. After that, PSU hit 12/22 3’s and IU played like crap in 2nd half, while Woody did nothing. No switch to Zone, no switch to smaller line up etc.

Yes, team still pretty young, but with Ware, a Soph likely going to be drafted in first round and Mgbako going to be eval’d by NBA, might be another young team next year. That’s part of the aggravation…He has three 5 stars (Ware, Mgbako, Reneau) who individually have been fine, but as a team, they just can’t beat anyone good (0-7 vs quad 1’s). IU’s 3 point D has been awful all season. Mgbako D has improved on ball, but his off ball d and recognition to rotate is terrible. Offensively, the guard play and 3-point shooting has been beyond bad. X injured often and when he isn’t who know whether you get good or bad X. Galloway a great kid and driver to the hoop, can’t shoot a lick (25% from 3). Cupps, a frosh, has been asked to play way too much due to X injury. Gunn, probably 2nd best 3-point shooter behind Mgbako is in/out of Woody’s doghouse for some unknown reason.

There are quite a few big time guards and shooters in the state’s ‘25 class that he needs to get a couple of them. But with how the year has played out, an outdated offense of lobbing it into 2 bigs clogging the lane and seemingly unwillingness to come up with a modern approach of 4 in/1 out, it’s feared those kids will all be playing elsewhere.

They both suck!!!

Didn’t even read any posts or anything about this thread.

Just saw the names of 2 asshole losers & had to mention the obvious about how they both suck!

Reactions: CaboKP
This is a pretty good website for revenue, expenses, profits/losses in all NCAA sports. 2022/23 is not completed yet. Iowa was 34th in expenses for basketball and 9th (10th after N’western?) in the B1G 2022. I’d say Iowa’s records over the past several years has had a pretty good return on its investment.

https://www.sportico.com/business/c...finances-database-intercollegiate-1234646029/

This is the mysterious rankings done by B1G coaches/assistants, but it’s over 5 years old now.

https://watchstadium.com/big-ten-ba...e-best-jobs-in-the-conference-10-11-2018/amp/

1. Holtmann
2. Howard
3. Woodson

-The only reason that Holtmann will keep his job is there is some complicated timing issues with the AD transition, however, the new AD will start on March 1 as an adviser--so ultimately I do think that they'll be able to make a change.

-Reports out of Michigan is that the AD does not really want to fire Howard. It's always awkward when it's a legendary former player + Howard had major heart surgery this offseason (and supposedly his heart condition was much worse than originally believed, some have said that he is very lucky to still be alive, much less coaching basketball). Ultimately, if they finish last in the Big Ten like they are barreling towards, I do think there might be a "mutual parting" type of deal where Howard gets to step down and focus on his health.

-Woodson I would have thought gets another year after 2 straight tournament appearances, but it's getting toxic there quickly. Dusty May is an obvious hire and I think some boosters will push Woodson out the door before May goes to a different high-major job such as the other 2 Big Ten teams that might have openings. Woodson will need to win some down the stretch here to make it I think. Which if you would have told me that a month ago I would have probably told you that you were blowing things out of proportion.
HH80 you were correct, Holtmann goes down. The $14M parachute will make the landing softer.

The other job that'll be likely opening this offseason that will be joining the conference soon is Washington. The new AD there is almost certainly making that change unless they go on a crazy tear and make the tournament. USC & Enfield's seat is quite hot as well, but not sure if they will actually move on or if they give him another year.
Isn't LeBron making the decision here? lmao

If I'm an AD and facing all these humongous contract buyouts, I would try to put in a performance expectations clause. If the coach doesn't win XX number of games over an XX amount of years, he can be let go in lieu of a ginormous payout. Probably wouldn't fly for established coaches, but if you're a mid major coach moving up to a P5 school, why would you object. Give them a few years to prove themselves & if they don't perform they move along without a lifetimes worth of cash.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Welp Holtmann is the man....

Donald Trump GIF

At this point is Indiana used to winning?
Their fans are entering the apathy stage, fearing that Woodson has at least one more year. A local radio jock last week suggested if they miss the heyday of IU basketball under Bobby Knight they should start watching Purdue because he said that's what Purdue is doing now.

That went over well. :D

Reactions: Moral
Their fans are entering the apathy stage, fearing that Woodson has at least one more year. A local radio jock last week suggested if they miss the heyday of IU basketball under Bobby Knight they should start watching Purdue because he said that's what Purdue is doing now.

That went over well. :D
Bobby Knight won championships, something Painter has yet to do.

Holtmann, Howard and Washington's coach are out. These schools don't accept mediocrity. This was a rebuilding year for Fran with four freshmen playing a lot. Freeman was a huge surprise. Dembele is getting better. Harding has shown some promise. Pryce has a ways to go. Krikke from the portal is a plodder.

Reactions: hawkdave007
1. Holtmann
2. Howard
3. Woodson

Batting 100 so far

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT