ADVERTISEMENT

Labas or May?

Who do you want to see as starting QB for the bowl game?

• Joey Labas

Votes: 96 78.0%
  • Carson May

Votes: 27 22.0%

• Total voters
I choose Labas cause i heard he can scramble which may be very necessary but look forward to seeing them both.

I will be 100% honest. With McNamara on board. I don’t really care anymore. Actually, this pains me to say it, but I wish Petras was starting this game.

Let’s say Labas comes out and lights the world on fire. Suddenly the first pick that Cade throws and half the fan base will be clamoring for a QB competition.

I am so excited for a new competent QB. But only bad things can come from this bowl game.

I will be 100% honest. With McNamara on board. I don’t really care anymore. Actually, this pains me to say it, but I wish Petras was starting this game.

Let’s say Labas comes out and lights the world on fire. Suddenly the first pick that Cade throws and half the fan base will be clamoring for a QB competition.

I am so excited for a new competent QB. But only bad things can come from this bowl game.
I can definitely see that happening. It seems we aren't the supporting positive fan base we like to say we are.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I can definitely see that happening. It seems we aren't the supporting positive fan base we like to say we are.
And I have been as critical as anyone of Petras probably. But we have QB1 now, Cade stepping on the field is instantly one of the top 5 talented QBs of the Ferentz era.

Any illusions this bowl game will provide will be completely unnecessary. Maybe just let Tory Taylor punt on first down and see if we can let the defense score one and win 7-0

Reactions: iamahawki
And I have been as critical as anyone of Petras probably. But we have QB1 now, Cade stepping on the field is instantly one of the top 5 talented QBs of the Ferentz era.

Any illusions this bowl game will provide will be completely unnecessary. Maybe just let Tory Taylor punt on first down and see if we can let the defense score one and win 7-0
I just can't stop loving the bowl game. I know it's not important to most but it's really important to me. This years is the first year though where i actually realized it has no importance other than I'm old and stuck in my ways.

I just can't stop loving the bowl game. I know it's not important to most but it's really important to me. This years is the first year though where i actually realized it has no importance other than I'm old and stuck in my ways.
Hey, I have always liked bowl games too. But this years just really isn’t moving the needle for me. It’s the backup bowl….we’re not playing for a top 25 ranking or 10 wins or anything like that, the season ended on a real downer….and mentally, as a fan, I have already moved on to 2023. I’ll watch but more than anything I’m just hoping no one gets hurt at this point.

Hey, I have always liked bowl games too. But this years just really isn’t moving the needle for me. It’s the backup bowl….we’re not playing for a top 25 ranking or 10 wins or anything like that, the season ended on a real downer….and mentally, as a fan, I have already moved on to 2023. I’ll watch but more than anything I’m just hoping no one gets hurt at this point.
I can't argue 1 point with that. Agree totally

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
This is why I am excited for the game. No expectations going in. I definitely want the Hawks to win, but I don't really care one way or the other. I just want to see what Labas and/or May can do.

Will Kirk/Brian just try to run the ball 95% of the time, or will they say "the heck with it" and open things up? I expect the former, but would love to see the latter.

As much as this looks like a move in the right direction, I'm going to wait and see what he actually does on the field for Iowa before deciding he's a top 5 qb of the Ferentz era.

And there's nothing bad at all about having a reasonable back up at qb. Particularly since it's been 3 seasons now without much at qb1 or qb2.
With Kirk staying at the helm his history says it would take a huge flop from his anointed qb1 for qb2 to see the field. About the last thing anyone should be concerned about is Cade getting a quick hook.

Reactions: dadster
ryan-fitzpatrick-of-the-miami-dolphins-looks-on-against-the-jaguars-picture-id1169666438

He hasn't started for Iowa yet!
No one has seen his face in decades. Who would know?

KOK was the primary recruiter for our QB's through May (Carson). BF was primary on Resar.
I suspect with McNamara's arrival the QB position, from recruiting to coaching, has been addressed moving forward. For the bowl game IMO, May.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Based on all my interactions with the team and all the analysis I have done for these two on the field and and the film room, I can comfortably say that I have no f%#*ing clue who should be or who I want to start.
I can tell ya from watching pregame warmups and half time warm ups they both throw saweet spirals on the ball. Big insider tip I know.

Hey, you spelled 2 out of 4 former Iowa QB's names right. 50% ain't bad.

I think KF should do the 1971 Cowboys Morton/Staubach thing and alternate the 2 QB's with each play.
Only if we have the o line do that pump thing they did when Landry coached the cowboys.

Hey, you spelled 2 out of 4 former Iowa QB's names right. 50% ain't bad.

I think KF should do the 1971 Cowboys Morton/Staubach thing and alternate the 2 QB's with each play.
Why not put both in the backfield? Like a wildcat but only for passing. Does it sound dumb? Sure. But so did the regular offense nearly every week this season.

Why not put both in the backfield? Like a wildcat but only for passing. Does it sound dumb? Sure. But so did the regular offense nearly every week this season.
This reminds me of that play from a few years ago that must have been a BF special. Don't remember the opponent but they put Mansell in the shotgun and lined up Stanley in the slot. Think it was supposed to be a lateral for Stanley to chuck it downfield, but Mansell froze and the play got blown up. Would be fun if they brought that back for this game.

It's imperative for Iowa to win this game, 2 losses in a row to end the season leaves a very sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Eight wins > seven wins.

Momentum moving forward is what this program needs to see and winning a bowl game is the right direction moving forward into 2023.

Enough of this I don't care talk, enough of this time to move on talk!!!

It's imperative for Iowa to win this game, 2 losses in a row to end the season leaves a very sour taste in everyone's mouth.

Eight wins > seven wins.

Momentum moving forward is what this program needs to see and winning a bowl game is the right direction moving forward into 2023.

Right on. I agree 100%.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. I remember we had a game in 1987 against Tennessee and we had 3 QBs vying for #1: Chuck Hartlieb, Tom Poholsky and Dan McGuire. Hayden played all 3 against Tennessee. It did not go well.. it felt like an exhibition game for us and we lost. Tennessee played the game like it was for the NC (as they should have) and won the game. The interesting thing was that the guy that made the most egregious mistake (pitching the ball to a Tennessee defender for a TD) won the job (Hartlieb). McGuire left and Poholsky got 1 start in 89 before being replaced by Matt Rogers.
Yea, that was the end of the Dan Mcquire era at Iowa. Big strong armed guy who was a little light up stairs I think. Off to SDSU and trashing Fry on the Roy Firestone show I believe for old Hayden not giving Dan the keys to the offense.

Given that I care very little about the game outcome I have no problem with treating this like an exhibition.
I'm more interested in seeing new players, different plays, scheme changes as tryouts for next season.
You don’t care the about the outcome of this game Doc? Questioning your loyalty to the Hawks as every game and every W matters

Why not split the series? Neither have any game action. Now's the time to get it in a low stakes event. Let them show something and have more than just practice to look at when considering their future options.
The franchise has already bought next year's qb through the free agent market.
This. Each needs a half to experience real game speed against 1s.

Eight wins > seven wins.

At the end of the day, this game is for the kids. Young kids getting better and a last game for some great Hawk seniors. I will be there rooting them on as loudly as I can. Always want the Hawks to win!!! Go Hawks!!!

Reactions: Pete Malloy
I have no clue who will start or play but this decision could turn out to see who KF would like to see transfer. If one of them don’t play a down I have a feeling will be gone.

Bowl games used to be played for conference bragging rights. Now it’s like a spring training baseball game. Check the numbers in your program folks as you’ll likely be seeing some guys for the first time. The score really doesn’t matter it counts for nothing anyway.

Get as many on the field as possible. It will just provide more off season fodder for this board😂

Yea, that was the end of the Dan Mcquire era at Iowa. Big strong armed guy who was a little light up stairs I think. Off to SDSU and trashing Fry on the Roy Firestone show I believe for old Hayden not giving Dan the keys to the offense.
He should have juiced like his MLB brother did.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT