ADVERTISEMENT

Labas vs. Hill

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
Copied both Hill and Labas’ high school profile. I understand some players just don’t make it in college regardless of what they accomplished in high school. But, obviously, Labas came in with some significant stats. I just don’t get it. Something is going on (which none of us on this forum know about). Because all of this to me says there us no rationale why Labas doesn’t deserve a shot.

Hill

High school honors – – Invited to compete in 2021 Polynesian Bowl following senior season… named News-Press All-County offensive MVP as a junior… Career – – career totals include completing 214-of-361 pass attempts for 3,183 yards… junior year totals include 3,102 passing yards and 33 touchdowns, while rushing for 461 yards and 13 touchdowns… also competed in basketball as a prep.
Labas

High school honors – – Named Suburban League National Conference Co-Offe High school honors – – Invited to compete in 2021 Polynesian Bowl following senior season… named News-Press All-County offensive MVP as a junior… Career – – career totals include completing 214-of-361 pass attempts for 3,183 yards… junior year totals include 3,102 passing yards and 33 touchdowns, while rushing for 461 yards and 13 touchdowns… also competed in basketball as a prep. nsive Player of the Year… named first-team All-Lakes and all-district as a senior… Cleveland FOX8 Player of the Year finalist as a senior… Cleveland Plain Dealer Offensive Player of the Year as a junior… second-team all-state as a junior… Suburban League National Conference Player of the Year as a junior… missed sophomore season due to injury… honorable mention all-conference as a freshman… Career – – Four-year letterman as quarterback and punter… prep team reached state playoffs as a junior and senior with two-year record of 14-6… holds numerous career passing school records… completed 67 percent of pass attempts as a senior for 2,349 yards and 16 touchdowns… as a junior had 2,351 passing yards and 23 touchdowns while completing 65 percent of his attempts… passed for 2,521 yards and 21 touchdowns as a freshman, completing 78 percent of pass attempts… also earned three letters in baseball and basketball.

Word today was that Lainez replaced Labas as #2. I’m ready for Kirk to hang it up based on his outrageous offensive decision-making and stubbornness.
Possible Labas let his intentions to transfer be known? Why else would a freshmen that’s been 3rd or 4th all year jump a guy who’s been on the team for this long when it’s 100% possible Hill could get injured at any time?

Petras is better than the 2. We are 8-1 with Petras. He was my boy and is laughing on the sidelines now.

Reactions: ichawk24
The thing about Hill is he basically made 2 good plays in the game. The one was when he threw the ball away to avoid 15 yard loss. HOWEVER, even on that play he should have unloaded it sooner. That ball was so close to being a pick 6. The other nice play he made was the pass towards the end to give us a chance of getting into field goal range. I had zero confidence we were even going to have a chance to win. But really those two plays were just average plays for an average QB. But since it was Hill, they looked sensational.

All these people saying “Labas must be terrible.” We literally saw him play a game last year and he was pretty good, especially for a first game and against a good SEC defense.
Someone may have hit the nail on the head when they said maybe Labas has expressed his intentions to transfer. Of course, that is just speculation. But this whole QB ordeal this year has been really strange. Even last year Padilla was given a shot. So, I really feel something is going on that we just don’t know about.

The thing about Hill is he basically made 2 good plays in the game. The one was when he threw the ball away to avoid 15 yard loss. HOWEVER, even on that play he should have unloaded it sooner. That ball was so close to being a pick 6. The other nice play he made was the pass towards the end to give us a chance of getting into field goal range. I had zero confidence we were even going to have a chance to win. But really those two plays were just average plays for an average QB. But since it was Hill, they looked sensational.
Kirk- “he did some things really well as you could see during that play to get us close to FG position.” (Something he would say and actually believe…).
But what about the other 95% of the game…
It’s maddening his thought process at times…

All these people saying “Labas must be terrible.” We literally saw him play a game last year and he was pretty good, especially for a first game and against a good SEC defense.

Agreed. Labas was competent and solid against Kentucky. 14-24 passing, 58% is Nate Stanley range, for 148 yards or a subpar 5.8 per attempt. But he was competent and solid, which I can't say about the current starter.

Kirk- “he did some things really well as you could see during that play to get us close to FG position.” (Something he would say and actually believe…).
But what about the other 95% of the game…
It’s maddening his thought process at times…
Ferentz is arrogant and not overly bright; the problem is he does not know it.

Copied both Hill and Labas’ high school profile. I understand some players just don’t make it in college regardless of what they accomplished in high school. But, obviously, Labas came in with some significant stats. I just don’t get it. Something is going on (which none of us on this forum know about). Because all of this to me says there us no rationale why Labas doesn’t deserve a shot.

Hill

High school honors – – Invited to compete in 2021 Polynesian Bowl following senior season… named News-Press All-County offensive MVP as a junior… Career – – career totals include completing 214-of-361 pass attempts for 3,183 yards… junior year totals include 3,102 passing yards and 33 touchdowns, while rushing for 461 yards and 13 touchdowns… also competed in basketball as a prep.
Labas

High school honors – – Named Suburban League National Conference Co-Offe High school honors – – Invited to compete in 2021 Polynesian Bowl following senior season… named News-Press All-County offensive MVP as a junior… Career – – career totals include completing 214-of-361 pass attempts for 3,183 yards… junior year totals include 3,102 passing yards and 33 touchdowns, while rushing for 461 yards and 13 touchdowns… also competed in basketball as a prep. nsive Player of the Year… named first-team All-Lakes and all-district as a senior… Cleveland FOX8 Player of the Year finalist as a senior… Cleveland Plain Dealer Offensive Player of the Year as a junior… second-team all-state as a junior… Suburban League National Conference Player of the Year as a junior… missed sophomore season due to injury… honorable mention all-conference as a freshman… Career – – Four-year letterman as quarterback and punter… prep team reached state playoffs as a junior and senior with two-year record of 14-6… holds numerous career passing school records… completed 67 percent of pass attempts as a senior for 2,349 yards and 16 touchdowns… as a junior had 2,351 passing yards and 23 touchdowns while completing 65 percent of his attempts… passed for 2,521 yards and 21 touchdowns as a freshman, completing 78 percent of pass attempts… also earned three letters in baseball and basketball.
Spencer Petras also put up big numbers in high school.

The bottom line is Hill is not playing well and has been a turnover machine the past two games. You owe it to every member on that team to try to find a quarterback who is serviceable. I don’t care if he’s a true freshman. There has to be someone on your roster who can do better. Has to be.

Kirk is just arrogant and stubborn.

Someone may have hit the nail on the head when they said maybe Labas has expressed his intentions to transfer. Of course, that is just speculation. But this whole QB ordeal this year has been really strange. Even last year Padilla was given a shot. So, I really feel something is going on that we just don’t know about.
One more reason for KF to hang it up - having trouble keeping his house in order.

Agreed. Labas was competent and solid against Kentucky. 14-24 passing, 58% is Nate Stanley range, for 148 yards or a subpar 5.8 per attempt. But he was competent and solid, which I can't say about the current starter.
Totally correct. COMPETENT….we aren’t asking for a 5 star Heisman candidate….just an average QB at least. One that gives us some semblance of an offense. And, of course, you cannot blame Hill for all our offensive ineptness. But it starts with the QB.

I love Hill's willingness to throw it down field, but will his passes ever be near a receiver?
A lot of Hill's problems are the 100 mph fastballs to receivers 10 yards away, really hard to catch and likely to get tipped in the air for INT. I did like that Hill but some touch on at least a few 2nd half passes that were crucial

Reactions: millah_22
A lot of Hill's problems are the 100 mph fastballs to receivers 10 yards away, really hard to catch and likely to get tipped in the air for INT. I did like that Hill but some touch on at least a few 2nd half passes that were crucial
Aka,he's not a D1 qb. His other option was Fordham.
Kirk is an idiot.

If the coaches care so much about players and the team as I’m sure they do… why not try this, sounds old school but hear me out…
A anonymous suggestion box… players don’t have to be afraid to give their opinions about what they feel is best for the team without being reprimanded… it’s just a suggestion it’s not like they can actually do anything. But if “outside noises” mean nothing to them how about the inside voices that are too worried to speak up…

Reactions: uihawk82
Labas kept the ball a number of times and ran hard for positive yardage. KF will not tolerate that.

Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
The most frustrating thing is, Labas is exactly what we’ve been waiting for for years: a mobile, elusive QB who can also throw it. Unfortunately for Kirk - who admits he knows nothing about QBs and is incredibly out of touch with reality - that seems to be a dealbreaker. Hence we’ve had nothing but statues at QB since 2017.

QB seems to be (frustratingly so) a position where the pecking order is set before the season and KF does everything he can to not veer from that. The only think I can think of is since the summer, no other QB has gotten virtually any meaningful snaps in practice to prove themselves. Cade and Hill got all the early season snaps (bc Labas was hurt…I guess…) and then once Hill became QB 1 Labas and Lainez have maybe gotten some chance but probably very little.

KF is probably thinking it’s not a matter of trying the backup - it’s sort of saying we’re now gonna try the third string since Cade was such a clear #1. Problem is they got #2 wrong to start the season (or again, due to the illusive Labas injury).

Maybe if we were out of the west running Lainez would get some time to develop for next year…but we’ve all seen that show before and that’s not KFs style either.

Last thought - realistically with Cade coming back next year, Labas is probably gone and frankly Hill may be too. So that means Lainez will have the inside track at QB2 out of the gates. Labas probably said he’s outta here when Cade announced he’s coming back.

Bacon Hill's stat line today;

10-15, 65 yds, 1 TD / 1 INT passing + 6 'rushes' for -7 yards, 1 fumble / 0 lost fumbles & sacked twice due to his 'statue-like mobility'.

If Hill really is the best QB option on the roster - after McNamara - then the Hawks really might be just better off just punting every 1st down. And I'm being only the slightest bit facetious.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I don't think this is fair. Labas has done nothing wrong. He was handcuffed to play uber conservative and still outperformed anything Hill has done. Labas will be fine somewhere else.
I didn't say he did. Petras is still better.

Petras was a third year starter with significantly better weapons to throw to than Hill currently has and was still brutal.

That said, debating between Petras vs Hill is like debating between which of the two sh1ts my dog took on our halftime walk smelled better.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Bacon Hill's stat line today;

10-15, 65 yds, 1 TD / 1 INT passing + 6 'rushes' for -7 yards, 1 fumble / 0 lost fumbles & sacked twice due to his 'statue-like mobility'.

If Hill really is the best QB option on the roster - after McNamara - then the Hawks really might be just better off just punting every 1st down. And I'm being only the slightest bit facetious.

We have a 4 star freshman cemented on the bench... He's actually in shape and can run. What's the rule? Can play 4 games without burning a redsirt? Unleash him NOW.

JUST GOING TO LEAVE THIS HERE. But yeah...he probably can't read Brian's dumba$$ offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT