ADVERTISEMENT

Levi Haines

Actiondouble

Team MVP
Feb 28, 2012
Thought Hawks wrestled a good tourney. Only lost by 12.5 points? Does anyone know how many points Levi Haines scored for PSU? That was the difference maybe. Pulling his redshirt paid-off…for now. Someone needs to knock him off in a couple weeks. NCAA’s will be a nail biter. Go Hawks.

Thought Hawks wrestled a good tourney. Only lost by 12.5 points? Does anyone know how many points Levi Haines scored for PSU? That was the difference maybe. Pulling his redshirt paid-off…for now. Someone needs to knock him off in a couple weeks. NCAA’s will be a nail biter. Go Hawks.
Maybe a difference? They pulled the shirt officially in January and he won the BTT. He scored 19 team points.

Kid is a stud as I said back at the time of the Iowa/PSU dual. Our fans just don't want to see it.

Like the positive vibe combination of Haines and Assad/Warner on the back side probably cost us some points but also remember we got 8 free points plus advancement points in those matches also. I will say one thing psu looked a bit beatable. Not saying it will happen but definitely not as dominate as I thought they would be. I have a hard time believing they place at 149 and especially 165. With the way 197 is looking who knows what is going to happen there but that is the boat everybody is in at 197. Honestly Haines, Brooks and RBY looked like Champs this weekend. Starfish, Kerk and obviously Dean all looked a bit off. Who knows for sure what was going on with those 3 anything is possible in 2 weeks but we got plenty of work to do.

Maybe a difference? They pulled the shirt officially in January and he won the BTT. He scored 19 team points.

Kid is a stud as I said back at the time of the Iowa/PSU dual. Our fans just don't want to see it.
There is no doubt he is a very good wrestler. But, 157 is really thin and he got a gift with that no call takedown against Robb. I think 157 is AOC's by a solid margin. After that, Haines will still have to navigate Andonian, Robb, Humphreys, Franek, Coleman and even Cardenas. That doesn't even account for him having an off match against guys like Lewan, Gfeller, Scott and Jacques.

He is good enough to beat ALL of them. But, he hasn't distanced himself where a loss to any of them should be a significant surprise. Now, I get recent history makes everyone just expect a PSU wrestler to win these matches, but he DOES have a loss to 18-11 Vince Zerban.

Against the top guys, he is winning 1 takedown matches. Having to do that multiple times at NCAA's is very hard to pull off. Maybe he does. But, he is FAR from a lock to do so.

Still, even without Haines placing high, the distance is too great when you pull out a top 33 field per weight. PSU's top 5 are almost certainly all placing top 3, with several champs. Even if Iowa wrestles like they did at B1G's, the gap will probably still widen to about 20 or so...

Last edited:
Fwiw, here’s the slow mo video of the “not a TD” in the 157 finals match.

Askren was going off about this one on FRL this morning. I just don't understand how that's not a takedown. The officiating last night, per usual, was dog shit and seemed to favor one team over all others.

RBY does nothing the entire 3rd period and instead of getting hit with a stall call, he gets a couple of chances to restart. Meanwhile, Woods and Parris get hit twice in the third period both calls within 30 seconds of each other. That makes total sense!

Starfish, Kerk and obviously Dean all looked a bit off. Who knows for sure what was going on with those 3 anything is possible in 2 weeks but we got plenty of work to do.
How did Kerk look off? He dominated the #3 guy Cass and went into SV against the guy who has been #1 all year long. Kerk might not beat Parris this season but I don't see any other heavyweights other than Parris beating him at NCAAs.

Reaction time. Referee judgment. Sort of hard to say control beyond reaction time when Robb hasn't landed himself.

Even harder to say in slow motion. It's like judging a pinfall via a still photo. I don't prefer freestyle touch pinfalls.

I do prefer freestyle for out of bounds continuation when the takedown move is initiated in bounds. But to make that work in NCAAs all schools would need bigger out of bounds areas meaning new mats or mat extensions. And the venues would have to be able accommodate the larger mats. That's too much money and thinking to expect from schools. Too bad though, so it's just time to move on for me.

Thought Hawks wrestled a good tourney. Only lost by 12.5 points?
Pretty amazing when you look at the Nittany Yankee's line-up from a p4p recruiting rankings perspective:
125 Steen n/a
133 RBY Top 10
141 Bartlett #6
149 Van Ness #2
157 Haines #8
165 Facundo #4
174 Starocchi #3
184 Brooks #2
197 Dean NCAA Finalist Transfer
285 Kerkvleit #2

There is no other program in D1 that approximates that type of recruiting haul yet we were one stud away from winning Big Ten's this year. Keep wrestling hard Hawks!!

There is no other program in D1 that approximates that type of recruiting haul yet we were one stud away from winning Big Ten's this year. Keep wrestling hard Hawks!!

Keep in mind, Iowa was handed 8 "free" points due to MFF and Injury defaults. Also, PSU had 5 more wrestlers with #1 and #2 seeds which meant 5 less PSU guys that were given a chance to get bonus points in a round 1 matchup. You don't think guys like Brooks, RBY, Starocci, etc would have racked up some nice bonus points had they gone up against the #14 seeds in round 1?

That TD/not TD wasn't the end of the match. Wasn't it at the end of per2?

It goes without saying that maybe Haines wrestles the 3rd period different if he's down 1-2 points instead of tied.
Correct - maybe he has to take an ill-timed shot? Maybe he can't sit back and dictate his pace? The no (wrong) call mattered.

I also thought Haines was gifted the No Points even after Instant Replay showed that he was Under control and His opponents feet were still in bounds. That being said Its over now and who cares anyways?? I sorta feel that Haines' worst match up would be against Cobe Seibrecht as far as style goes. I know it was a close match when they wrestled this season and I believe that with some added muscle Cobe will be able to beat him next season.

I also thought Haines was gifted the No Points even after Instant Replay showed that he was Under control and His opponents feet were still in bounds. That being said Its over now and who cares anyways?? I sorta feel that Haines' worst match up would be against Cobe Seibrecht as far as style goes. I know it was a close match when they wrestled this season and I believe that with some added muscle Cobe will be able to beat him next season.
Would be nice to see cobe play the spoiler early at ncaa’s with Haines.

Not going to be a thing. Unlikely we see Haines at 157 again, and keep in mind they’re 3 years apart, so have to think Levi’s trajectory is steeper at this point. With that said, Cobe is awfully fun to watch, even as a rival fan.

Not going to be a thing. Unlikely we see Haines at 157 again, and keep in mind they’re 3 years apart, so have to think Levi’s trajectory is steeper at this point. With that said, Cobe is awfully fun to watch, even as a rival fan.
Do you think Haines redshirts next year to avoid Carr? I assume O'Toole moves up after this year.

I think Askren alluded to KO staying at 165 one more year b/c Mocco has one more season and they are like best friends.
Interesting. That makes sense and Askren would know, I just feel like O'Toole already looks huge for 165.

Either way, Haines would avoid both with a RS next year if KO only did one more year at 165 before moving up. For us fans, I hope that's not the case, but it seems like RS'ing him next year and rolling with Facundo one more time at 165 would be the best move for Haines and PSU long term.

Askren was going off about this one on FRL this morning. I just don't understand how that's not a takedown. The officiating last night, per usual, was dog shit and seemed to favor one team over all others.

RBY does nothing the entire 3rd period and instead of getting hit with a stall call, he gets a couple of chances to restart. Meanwhile, Woods and Parris get hit twice in the third period both calls within 30 seconds of each other. That makes total sense!
RBY, Dean, Kerk are stall riders…blatant

I really like the idea of Haines and Hamiti meeting up in the future. Similar bodies, similar style, though I think Hamiti is more creative.

Do you think Haines redshirts next year to avoid Carr? I assume O'Toole moves up after this year.
Note that I’m not remotely close to anybody to know what they’re thinking, but I don’t think the mindset in that facility is that he needs to avoid anybody (in a year). Of course, he’ll be even tougher in two, so if they can sneak a RS they would.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Next year could be interesting with Olympic redshirts. May see some sitting out that have already redshirted that we are thinking will go deep at NCAAs. Good news is I don't think the Hawks really have too much to worry about Olympic redshirts, Tony maybe?

I too thought that was a clear TD. What was the justification/applied rule that disallowed it? I really don't know. When it went to replay I thought Nebby was for sure going to get the TD awarded.
1. No control before he went out of bounds.
2. (The real reason) Refs don't overturn their own calls unless the mistake is SO OBVIOUS they can't hide it....

1. No control before he went out of bounds.
2. (The real reason) Refs don't overturn their own calls unless the mistake is SO OBVIOUS they can't hide it....
That's not exactly the rule. The rule is that reaction time beyond control must be given. The refs decided that there was not reaction time beyond the control.
You can tell that there was less than one second that elapsed between Haines' butt hitting the mat and Robb's toes sliding out. The clock is on :02 remaining in both freeze frames. So the question is, "is :00.9 or less considered adequate reaction time"? The refs determined no.

Like the positive vibe combination of Haines and Assad/Warner on the back side probably cost us some points but also remember we got 8 free points plus advancement points in those matches also. I will say one thing psu looked a bit beatable. Not saying it will happen but definitely not as dominate as I thought they would be. I have a hard time believing they place at 149 and especially 165. With the way 197 is looking who knows what is going to happen there but that is the boat everybody is in at 197. Honestly Haines, Brooks and RBY looked like Champs this weekend. Starfish, Kerk and obviously Dean all looked a bit off. Who knows for sure what was going on with those 3 anything is possible in 2 weeks but we got plenty of work to do.
RBY, Starr, Brooks are locks for national titles IMO. Not as blown away with Starr this year as I thought I would be, but he always finds a way to win close matches. Haines is impressive as hell, no doubt, but I think there are a few guys out there that could catch him.

Reactions: xjohnx
Note that I’m not remotely close to anybody to know what they’re thinking, but I don’t think the mindset in that facility is that he needs to avoid anybody (in a year). Of course, he’ll be even tougher in two, so if they can sneak a RS they would.
I hope you’re right, because Haines isn’t on the same level as the other two yet.

You also realized PSU has done the second year RS with several of their guys, right?

Yep. Hawks closing the gap and surpassing those pesky Lions happens alot.

• Haha
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Handed? If the TD is awarded the score is 2-0 with 2 periods to wrestle. Keep that bitter close, you will need it again multiple times as we move forward.
So are you admitting it’s an entirely different match if Robb is given the TD?

Thanks.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I hope you’re right, because Haines isn’t on the same level as the other two yet.

You also realized PSU has done the second year RS with several of their guys, right?
2nd with Zain, Morgan, Quentin and Andrew Alton. 4th with Nico …

Reactions: GlenHawk
That's not exactly the rule. The rule is that reaction time beyond control must be given. The refs decided that there was not reaction time beyond the control.
You can tell that there was less than one second that elapsed between Haines' butt hitting the mat and Robb's toes sliding out. The clock is on :02 remaining in both freeze frames. So the question is, "is :00.9 or less considered adequate reaction time"? The refs determined no.
I would say some positions warrant more reaction time than others. If that happened in bounds with the same amount of time left, there is no way in hell that wasn’t a takedown. You can move the goalpost however you wish. To be clear, if that was a Saldate instead of Haines, I would say the exact same thing. Now, would I be happy it wasn’t called a takedown? Sure. Would I admit I thought it was? Absolutely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT