ADVERTISEMENT

March 14 Joe Lunardi / ESPN Bracketology: IOWA is on the Bubble (7th Team OUT). #59 NET Ranking (8th Best in B1G) on March 14

Would the 5 seed be ideal?

That way we play Thurs (and hopefully win).

Then we play Friday vs the #4 seed (and hopefully win).

Then on Saturday we likely get crushed by Purdue ;)
I think the 6 seed is most likely but a lot can change.

Reactions: Franisdaman
They probably need two more wins. Illinois and one more.

Now the talk is how to avoid the play in game. Might need 3 more.

It's just fun to be still alive & in the discussion because after these 5 losses (especially the 2 home ones) I thought we were toast. Win just 2 of these 5 and we are at 20-10.

Home to #131 NET Michigan (90-80 L)
Home to #74 NET Maryland (69-67 L)

@ #101 NET Indiana (74-68 L)
@ #94 NET Penn St (89-79 L)
@ #74 NET Maryland (78-66 L)

We're in!!!

Shelby Mast is the Bracketologist for USA Today. His projections are based on how he thinks the Selection Committee will make their selections, not how he would want to make them, if the season ended TODAY.

On his website he brags that he is one of the most accurate Bracketologists with 15+ years experience and a 98% accuracy rate since 2005.

After the completion of Sunday's games, at 12:05 am CT on Monday March 4th, he has Iowa as one of the Last 4 Teams IN.

Last 4 in - Virginia, Seton Hall, Iowa, St Johns
First 4 out - Providence, JMU, Colorado, Memphis
Next 4 out - Wake Forest, Texas A&M, Butler, Ole Miss
Others considered for at-large bids - Pittsburgh, Drake
On Life Support (but probably dead) - Minnesota, Ohio St, Cincinnati, Richmond, Kansas St, Butler

He has 7 B1G teams in.

1 Purdue (#1 overall seed)
4 Illinois (#16 overall seed)
6 Wisconsin (#22 overall seed)
8 Northwestern (#32 overall seed)
10 Nebraska (#37 overall seed) @Alum-Ni
10 Michigan State (#39 overall seed)
11 IOWA (#45 overall seed)

Link to his bracket & analysis:

Seton Hall isn't a quad 1 win?

On road, rank 1-75?

Edit: NM, in San Diego, would have to be ranked 1-50.

We're in!!!

Shelby Mast is the Bracketologist for USA Today. His projections are based on how he thinks the Selection Committee will make their selections, not how he would want to make them, if the season ended TODAY.

On his website he brags that he is one of the most accurate Bracketologists with 15+ years experience and a 98% accuracy rate since 2005.

After the completion of Sunday's games, at 12:05 am CT on Monday March 4th, he has Iowa as one of the Last 4 Teams IN.

On Life Support (but probably dead) - Minnesota, Ohio St, Cincinnati, Richmond, Kansas St, Butler

He has 7 B1G teams in.

not counting chickens, yet. not until they come home to roost anyway.

adorable cat GIF

Lunardi hasn't updated his bracket but I think you are right. We're right there.
I checked his Twitter/X feed and it seems like other teams have passed us? I wonder if the Northwestern win is a bit tainted given all of their injuries? I think if we beat Illinois, we should be in. We don't have any sure thing matchups in the BTT as we have lost to Michigan, Penn State, MD (2X), etc. So it kind of depends on who we play, but one win would certainly remove doubt.

We're in!!!

He has 7 B1G teams in.

In case you didn't open the link, this would be Iowa's route to the Sweet 16:

GH1eXfwXMAAk3qm

I'm happy Illi has to face Purdue before coming to Iowa City and that we have a whole week to prepare. If you don't think the boys will be fired up for this one...

Let's get Carver fired up!!!!!
I kinda disagree on this. The team is playing as well as they have this year. I'd feel better if they didn't have a whole week off right now. I think it negatively impacts things.

Has Iowa ever been an 11th seed in the tournament?

I'm just glad that Iowa is going to be in a post season tournament whether it's the NIT or the NCAA.
After finishing the non-conference schedule and losing the first 3 games of the Big Ten schedule no one on here was willing to predict that out come.

Reactions: chuck285
Has Iowa ever been an 11th seed in the tournament?

I'm just glad that Iowa is going to be in a post season tournament whether it's the NIT or the NCAA.
After finishing the non-conference schedule and losing the first 3 games of the Big Ten schedule no one on here was willing to predict that out come.
Yes play in game vs Tennessee. Uthoffs senior year I believe. Really struggled down the stretch and barely got in.

None of the last 4 in deserve a bid before Iowa. And I'd argue FL Atl & Colo St shouldn't be above Iowa either.
I don't get how he could possibly have Seton Hall 7 spots higher than Iowa. We own the head to head, have almost identical overall records, and are 11 spots higher in NET rankings. They are slightly better in Quad 1 but still..

I don't get how he could possibly have Seton Hall 7 spots higher than Iowa. We own the head to head, have almost identical overall records, and are 11 spots higher in NET rankings. They are slightly better in Quad 1 but still..
The only reason I can think of is Iowa has a couple of bad losses. But they're trending up, heating up at end of season is usually a good thing for bids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT