ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry

giphy.gif

Hindsight 20/20, Marinelli wrestling as a true freshman and still have a shirt to burn would have been alright :D

Arm chair quarterbacking is easy

All this assuming someone is following Mark.

I loved this comment from Perry:

First and foremost, it’s Iowa wrestling,” Perry said when asked what made the opportunity appealing. “The state of Iowa is the mecca of wrestling in the United States, not just in Iowa City but all throughout the state. Wrestling is ingrained in the culture and is loved like no place I’ve ever been, and I’ve been fortunate enough to be around the best of the best environments, both domestically and internationally."

First and foremost, it’s Iowa wrestling,” Perry said when asked what made the opportunity appealing. “The state of Iowa is the mecca of wrestling in the United States, not just in Iowa City but all throughout the state. Wrestling is ingrained in the culture and is loved like no place I’ve ever been, and I’ve been fortunate enough to be around the best of the best environments, both domestically and internationally."
Perry brings tons of coaching experience with him and will hit the ground running (unlike metcalf)
Plus, he will be that voice in the room that tells hard truths. (He'll be our TarpHawk in the coaches meetings)
Game Changed!

WOW!

I think he is a great addition to the room, but it is kinda weird to me because I don't remember him wrestling that much freestyle (if any?) post-graduation. I know he was still very good at freestyle, winning Fargo and Fila Jrs. Just seems like a sortof strange fit as HC of the HWC.

Reactions: WDuck5217
WOW!

I think he is a great addition to the room, but it is kinda weird to me because I don't remember him wrestling that much freestyle (if any?) post-graduation. I know he was still very good at freestyle, winning Fargo and Fila Jrs. Just seems like a sortof strange fit as HC of the HWC.

Do you homework...how many of the Russian FS National coaches even wrestled?

Reactions: el dub
With Tirapelle leaving Penn is Illinois a good landing spot for him, with a shot at taking over someday there?

Reactions: honkey69
With Tirapelle leaving Penn is Illinois a good landing spot for him, with a shot at taking over someday there?
That'd be a good fit imo.
Than, I'm hoping Brandon Slay takes over at Penn and starts funneling PA talent away from Carl.
Hard to turn down being trained by not only an Olympic gold medalists and USA team coach, but one of the few guys that have beaten Satiev.

Yep.

All you top-10 P4P recruits listening?;)

Game on!

So about that banquet Friday night. . . . Who DOESN'T want to hear Mark Perry fire up the crowd?! Of course, Tom and Terry will do that just fine all by themselves, but this is going to be a blast, folks. Hope to see you all there!

WOW!

My guess is there is a large plan in mind. Titles are just titles, but I'm sure John Smiths nephew knows a thing or two about Freestyle.

Reactions: DirkTang1
My guess is there is a large plan in mind. Titles are just titles, but I'm sure John Smiths nephew knows a thing or two about Freestyle.

I agree. Even so, Marinelli made the junior finals and never wrestled a freestyle match in his high school career IIRC. Ramos made the world team after not having wrestled freestyle since his early college years. Freestyle is not rocket science compared to folk. Perry can coach it just fine.

Right on. Obviously a huge net positive just to have him around the program. Just thought as the HWC HC was a little strange due to his lack of freestyle chops. Still great news, though.

Right on. Obviously a huge net positive just to have him around the program. Just thought as the HWC HC was a little strange due to his lack of freestyle chops. Still great news, though.
I do too just because of the recruiting restraints and obviously him not being able to be in the corner. I wonder if he will be traveling with the redshirts to opens? Also maybe it was a scenario where it was a must to get him here now and it was the position open that could compete financially. Either way this is the kinda news I've been waiting for, now let's go get Sasso. More importantly I think Kevin Jackson deserves credit for running ISU into the ground and also Dresser for raising the financial bar.

Reactions: wasdt21

No lack of chops here. Perry has been coaching freestyle since he started coaching after graduation. Look at the success of Novachkov, who is a Perry protoge. He's also been a coach with Titan Mercury for many years.

Reactions: wasdt21
No lack of chops here. Perry has been coaching freestyle since he started coaching after graduation. Look at the success of Novachkov, who is a Perry protoge. He's also been a coach with Titan Mercury for many years.

Speaking of chops….. I just called the IHWOSSHL, (Iowa Hawkeye Wrestling Off-Season Suicide Hotline) and received a recorded message that Chef Tommy was too busy frying up some rather large fishes to come to the phone and coddle me in my time of need….;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT