ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Perry

I don't know how one can definitely say that.

That said, Perry has recruited and trained NCAA champions and is a well established coaching name. Brent would be well served to be what Perry is now in about 5 years. I think he will get there. But that's why, for now Perry > Metcalf and it isn't close.

Precisely. Who knows down the line.

Same thing I think when people clamor for Taylor. Sure, when he's paid his dues in coaching. Iowa isn't an up-and-coming program, they should take the cream.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I agree with that. It will be a while before Metcalf is considered a great asst. or head coach. I am not saying he won't be someday, but Perry does seem to have the credentials and enough success to be the better choice right now. He is judged by his deeds and they are pretty impressive. Metcalf is still a gamble, ( one that many places would love to take).
Also, I think Perry's funk would is a missing link to the Hawks being well rounded as wrestlers. The only down side I can see to Perry is that his personal life and habits may not gel with the Brands and their philosophy. By that I mean, I don't think Perry is a tea totaler. ( Is that spelled correctly?) No PD3 comparisons being made here, just saying that I understand that the Brands lead a pretty clean life.

My money is on Metcalf evolving into a GREAT coach someday. He's devoted his post college life to completion, and now he will pivot to doing great things in the coaching ranks, IMO.

As for the question on whether TnT can co-exist with a guy who likes to tip a few beers, I have a feeling that they will be just fine on that front. I have no personal experience to point to here, but I intend to test this notion out myself at the banquet next week...will report back.

My money is on Metcalf evolving into a GREAT coach someday. He's devoted his post college life to completion, and now he will pivot to doing great things in the coaching ranks, IMO.

As for the question on whether TnT can co-exist with a guy who likes to tip a few beers, I have a feeling that they will be just fine on that front. I have no personal experience to point to here, but I intend to test this notion out myself at the banquet next week...will report back.

Quite certain they'll be fine with it... I mean, Royce Alger and Randy Lewis have been staples in the room for years and mentored many a Hawk wrestler under TnTs watch... Should be nuff said on that front.

I agree with that. It will be a while before Metcalf is considered a great asst. or head coach. I am not saying he won't be someday, but Perry does seem to have the credentials and enough success to be the better choice right now. He is judged by his deeds and they are pretty impressive. Metcalf is still a gamble, ( one that many places would love to take).
Also, I think Perry's funk would is a missing link to the Hawks being well rounded as wrestlers. The only down side I can see to Perry is that his personal life and habits may not gel with the Brands and their philosophy. By that I mean, I don't think Perry is a tea totaler. ( Is that spelled correctly?) No PD3 comparisons being made here, just saying that I understand that the Brands lead a pretty clean life.
1. Imagine a future Iowa with Perry and Metcalf as co-existing coaches... That's a lot of intensity on one bench.
2. I would bid on a future "Get Hammered With Mark Perry" auction item (ala dinner with Brands).

Royce is best friends with the Brands, they'll be fine with some beer drinking as long as it doesn't affect his coaching.

Pat Harty with 3 day old news. No wonder he doesn't work for press citizen/register anymore. He sure as hell ain't no Andy Hamilton.

I don't know about him otherwise but I don't agree with you here. He added a nugget that wasn't yet reported about the donors and he has been the first to specifically state the HWC job. Gotta give him a nod for that.

Reactions: FanOHawk
I see your point Spooner but I have never read anything that indicates that Harty has any inside UI Wrestling knowledge. Usually all he is good for is bashing Ferentz.

Reactions: DirkTang1
I see your point Spooner but I have never read anything that indicates that Harty has any inside UI Wrestling knowledge. Usually all he is good for is bashing Ferentz.

I'm not saying I have either, or defended him.

Btw, if the IA Wrestle article was already out to it's entirely long before his tweets, my bad. I was wrong.

an-ur-ism I belive it is when a blood vessel breaks and can be deadly. I would guess someone else has a more technical answer though.
Not that anyone cares, but an aneurysm is a dilated portion of a blood vessel, analogous to one of those weak spots that sometime develop in a basketball that causes it to "pooch out".

Aneurysms can develop in a wide variety of blood vessels, most notably including arteries in the brain and the aorta. In some cases, they can rupture, with potentially catastrophic consequences.

Now, back to wrestling.

I'm not saying I have either, or defended him.

Btw, if the IA Wrestle article was already out to it's entirely long before his tweets, my bad. I was wrong.

No worries. As you can tell, I am not his biggest fan.

A few more stats re Imar - his results vs Iowa:

2014-15

157 - #5 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #15 Michael Kelly (IA), 21-6
157 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. Mike Kelly (IA), 16-5

2015-16

157 -- #1 Isaiah Martinez (ILL) tech. fall #16 Edwin Cooper, Jr. (IA), 21-5

2016-17

165 - #1 Isaiah Martinez (Illinois) major dec. #9 Alex Marinelli (Unat. IA), 14-5

Like several others, I disagree with your assessment of Imar. I think the opposite... he is an offensive machine. The relatively few times he's not, it's typically against a very high quality opponent e.g. Nolf, Vincenzo. Metcalf had close matches at times (e.g. vs Palmer) but I wouldn't conclude Metcalf wasn't offense minded because of that.

Imar coming to HWC, if it happens, would be a huge boost. He is a decent guy and blue ribbon wrestler... may be a world or Olympic team member some day. It could also help with a connection to CA's vast talent pool. I'd love to see it happen.

I went back and looked through wrestlestats' numbers on him and used the compare tool to Jordan, Massa, etc... and it seems overall like he has a much different pace in big matches. Where there are common wins, he usually scores notably less. However, when I look at his numbers the last couple of years at nationals, he definitely scored more than Howe's typical 2-3 pts per. I still have this impression that he's not an offensive machine but you make good points about instances where he does open up.

We will be waiting breathlessly for that report. :)

Wasn't saying he was born again. Just a lot, a lot better then he was. At nationals u can say that about most coaches, wrestlers, parents....just about everyone:cool:
I imagine wrestlers/coaches letting off steam at nationals could get rowdy.

Reading Harty's 'AllHawkeyes' article, was a little bummed he had to say have an 'according to FloWrestling' in there. Why not ping Randy, or hell, quote the cesspool!

Same here...I think Brent is going to be an awesome coach. There is a reason why he was selected to be the development coach in C Springs.

So, with the banquet a week away...

I wonder if they'll announce this there....?
yjbmm.gif

I imagine wrestlers/coaches letting off steam at nationals could get rowdy.

The Bud Light area at Nationals this year was the only place to buy alcohol if you weren't in a suite. After Friday night they closed it because they had to call a bunch of StLouis finest to get people to leave.

Worth buying a ticket or table to find out. Would be pretty awesome if that happened. Look for an IL license plate in the parking lot!
VERY GOOD POINT.

Extra incentive to attend the banquet! You just never know who might show up there. Shoot -- no matter what surprise guests may or may not show up, the place is still bound to be crawling with wrestling legends and current stars!

Reactions: GG121AND2
The Bud Light area at Nationals this year was the only place to buy alcohol if you weren't in a suite. After Friday night they closed it because they had to call a bunch of StLouis finest to get people to leave.

I heard about a place last year too. Are you saying when you are in the stadium there is a place you can buy beers with normal seats? Can you take back to your seat?

IMar could come to Iowa to wrestle next year IF he graduates.. It would be a similar situation to what happened when Jake Rudock transferred to Michigan to play his last season.

IMar could come to Iowa to wrestle next year IF he graduates.. It would be a similar situation to what happened when Jake Rudock transferred to Michigan to play his last season.
Except I'm gonna bet IMar would win the starting spot at Illinois. . . .;)

Reactions: pumpdog20
I heard about a place last year too. Are you saying when you are in the stadium there is a place you can buy beers with normal seats? Can you take back to your seat?

Hey, Gantry, how the heck are you?

Except Rudock isn't even in spitting distance of sniffing a National Champions jock.

No, you have to stay up there and have your drinks. Friday night there were a couple hundred people in there.

When Tom and Terry decide to hang it up here's my thoughts on the staff...
McDonough, Metcalf, Morningstar, Perry and Stoll!!

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I used to get a chuckle out of people and the use of the ignore feature until I sat down and really thought about it. Society more and more needs their "safe space" to keep from having to hear things they disagree with or God forbid become offended. Not sure why I thought a wrestling message board should be somewhat different.
A safe space and just wanting to get away from an annoying human being are two entirely different things.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT