ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland shooting

You seem to want to deflect the discussion here away from mass shootings.
I knew better than to respond to you. I’m not having a fact based discussion on a subject where data is going to different greatly from one study to the next.

I’ve stated numerous times that we need to differentiate from the public massacres to gang shooters and suicide.

FT_22.01.26_GunDeaths_4.png

I’ve stated numerous times that we need to differentiate from the public massacres to gang shooters and suicide.
Except you're doing the exact opposite here, citing "overall" numbers vs the ones related to mass-shootings.

Except you're doing the exact opposite here, citing "overall" numbers vs the ones related to mass-shootings.
That’s the discussion being had. You didn’t specify “mass shootings” when you engaged me. I responded with a link that refutes your claim.

Again, I’m not blind to the use of rifles being used more frequently in the high profile shootings. Which is why I’m ok with putting more restrictions on them.

Lol. That’s a small rise after 2004, don’t be dumb. Then what happened from in the decade from 2006-ish to 20016-ish? That drop is more significant than the rise “in 2004”. It’s hilarious that you can look at that graph (and the second one about which guns are used) and tell me that an assault weapons ban is going to fix this mass shooting frenzy. They account for less than 3% of gun deaths.

I’ve asked this many times, what has changed since 20016-ish, using the graph. @Joes Place is ignorant when he says “guns have changed.”
I'm not sure what you're looking at but the rise after 2004 is significant - back to 1970s era levels.

And I love all of you who use terms like "fix" to avoid doing anything to IMPROVE the situation.

What has changed is continued erosion of gun control laws.

• Haha
Reactions: SWIowahawks
Great, we added another person who wants to skip data and try and paint a picture that isn’t accurate. I asked Riley so I’ll ask you, were assault weapons banned from 2006-2016 when we saw a decrease in gun murders that was more significant than the “rise in 2004”.

My second question, why an all out ban on a weapon used in less than 3% of all gun murders?
You're just making shit up now. The rise was from 2004 to 2020 according to your chart.

Because those 3% matter. SMFH

You're just making shit up now. The rise was from 2004 to 2020 according to your chart.

Because those 3% matter. SMFH
Desperate to clutch his guns. The possessions of people who cannot defend themselves due to lack of strength and/or training.

So no info on the Maryland shooting in the entire thread except the first post? Thanks guys. Well done.

That’s just how desensitized we all are. You need a serious body count (e.g. double digits) to make a difference and be noticed. More points if you go for a school / under 14. ‘Merica!

Crazy how 'active shooters' have gone up since the rise of Facebook/Twitter. It's almost like they allow us to know about shootings before they are resolved or something. And with cops now seemingly afraid to go in and challenge a shooter, active shooters can last longer as well. And are they considered 'active' until an arrest is made/death is confirmed? Well hell, there are 100's of active shootings every weekend then.

But the guys on the bottom basically kill nobody and aren't the problem. They're just dopey. (I suppose you could argue they help keep the status quo in terms of gun law, however, they aren't the sort out there killing people)

Depends. . . are they showing up to political protests armed with their AR-15's and with tactical vests carrying 10 magazines for said AR-15.

Why be hyperbolic and go back over 100 years. Mass shootings and taking revenge out on doctors, lawyers, coworkers, etc; is a more common thing in the past couple of decades. With the same type weapons available. The weapons haven’t changed, so what has?

For the record, I’m wanting 21 or older for AR’s and red flag laws.

I agree it's been a combination of things but the weapons have changed a bit. The AR-15 has been around for a long time, but before the Assault Weapons Ban they barely sold any. After the Assault weapons ban they started flying off the shelves.

There has been a change in gun culture that has gone from the gun being a tool to the gun being a toy so you can fulfill your fantasies of being in an action movie.

Reactions: Joes Place
Yeah it’s the conversation I think could be really constructive. But it won’t happen. Too much fun to stick to the dumb shit.
There is a huge cultural shift I've brought up ad nauseam and it's really only been in the last decade or two. I've posted so many times how this wasn't a problem when I was a kid and there were unsecured, loaded guns all over my house (and the same in my community) and it wasn't a big deal. The question keeps getting asked around here, "WHAT HAS CHANGED" to little response.

That said, the discussion isn't any easy one; therefore, the solution will be difficult. Making changes now to gun regulations can have an immediate impact, but my hope is it won't stifle the conversation of the true, underlying problem--mental health. (and anxiety, depression, anger, etc. are all mental health issues. It doesn't have to be something extreme like Schizophrenia)

Politicians can stand up all day long shouting, "It's not the guns, it's the people". Okay, great (to some extent I totally agree), but what the frack are you going to do about it? It's no different than offering Ts & Ps. Start looking at the social and psychological data and DO SOMETHING! Hell, as crazy as it sounds, getting rid of the 'like' button across all social media platforms would be a huge start and addressing mental health. My no-pics daughter told me last week she disabled that feature on her Instagram page.

There is a huge cultural shift I've brought up ad nauseam and it's really only been in the last decade or two. I've posted so many times how this wasn't a problem when I was a kid and there were unsecured, loaded guns all over my house (and the same in my community) and it wasn't a big deal. The question keeps getting asked around here, "WHAT HAS CHANGED" to little response.

That said, the discussion isn't any easy one; therefore, the solution will be difficult. Making changes now to gun regulations can have an immediate impact, but my hope is it won't stifle the conversation of the true, underlying problem--mental health. (and anxiety, depression, anger, etc. are all mental health issues. It doesn't have to be something extreme like Schizophrenia)

Politicians can stand up all day long shouting, "It's not the guns, it's the people". Okay, great (to some extent I totally agree), but what the frack are you going to do about it? It's no different than offering Ts & Ps. Start looking at the social and psychological data and DO SOMETHING! Hell, as crazy as it sounds, getting rid of the 'like' button across all social media platforms would be a huge start and addressing mental health. My no-pics daughter told me last week she disabled that feature on her Instagram page.

Reminds me of a talk I listened to in which one of the original co-founders of Facebook fought with Jeff Z regarding the affirmation stuff and building the algortithms to keep people locked into what they already believe/like.

I’m representing that poorly but you get the gist.

But no one is using "1917-era" technologies for these shootings, are they?

I suppose we could "grandfather" in 1917-tech as the baseline, and ban everything else....

The technology is substantially similar, actually. The look has changed and the magazine capacity has changed. The gun itself? Not really that much.

Additionally, the vast majority of any changes are based on higher accuracy not necessarily the per second firing rate.

Social media and iphones, in short the world is going crazy.

I'm for only revolvers and hunting rifles now. That's enough for self defense. Even a 9mm can have a 30 round magazine or more. I'm pretty sure you could pluck off at least 10 people in under 2 minutes if a decent shot.

They will be slowly taken out of circulation. Companies won't produce or sell them, including the ammunition, other than for military or police purposes. A private transaction would be akin to a drug deal. I'm not too bothered by the population that already has them. I'm more worried about making it much less convenient for an aspiring crazy in the future to get them.

Most rifle deer hunters I know (including myself) use some sort of rifle on the AR platform. So... "hunting rifles" probably isn't what you think it is.

The technology is substantially similar, actually. The look has changed and the magazine capacity has changed. The gun itself? Not really that much.

Additionally, the vast majority of any changes are based on higher accuracy not necessarily the per second firing rate.

Exactly. I mean just look at 100 years of evolving automotive technology. It's still 4 wheels, a steering wheel, headlights, and an engine. Technology, schemch-nology.

A-Brief-History-of-the-Model-T-Ford-20a.jpg

2020-Ferrari-F8-Tributo.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT