ADVERTISEMENT

Massoma Endene

WEH8ST8HAWK

HR All-American
Jan 31, 2004
2 time D3 197 National Champ from Wartburg is in the portal. He has his covid year left to compete. He was a 174 as a freshman and a finalist as a Sophomore at 197 before winning 2 titles. Could he beat Glazier? Could he be our 184 for a year? No idea how good he is but he dog walked pretty much everyone this year.

Having a discussion about bringing in a 197 gets more depressing.

Just emphasizes how Iowa missed on Franklin.
That said, and I know there are exceptions, most elite college guys that size play football.

Just wonder what competition is for D-3?
Just me rambling.

Reactions: el dub
2 time D3 197 National Champ from Wartburg is in the portal. He has his covid year left to compete. He was a 174 as a freshman and a finalist as a Sophomore at 197 before winning 2 titles. Could he beat Glazier? Could he be our 184 for a year? No idea how good he is but he dog walked pretty much everyone this year.
No idea, never heard of him, but it's a huge jump from D3 to D1. So imma say no, he's not a better option than Glazier and not a better option than Brands at 84 (if he could even get to 184).

It is a little weird this guy has basically faced no D-1 competition at open tourneys in his career.

Most top D3 guys aren't threats to reach the podium at the D1 level but each case is different. Shane Liegel of Wisconsin was a D3 champ and runner up who couldn't get on the podium this year. This guy is better than Liegel but I'm not sure how much.

All told, seems unlikely he would be an upgrade.

It’s a sad state of affairs if D-3 talent is being considered as good transfer options at Iowa.
Look at the results for half the guys on our roster against average guys from Wartburg and Grand View etc. This kid is an elite D3guy that was a 3 time finalist at 197. And I will bet he is more athletic than Glazier.

Reactions: el dub and xjohnx
I imagine his ceiling is likely what Shane Liegel (Loras D3 champ and 4 time NAIA All American) was with Wisconsin this year (20-14). D3 to D1 is just a big big jump.

Look at the results for half the guys on our roster against average guys from Wartburg and Grand View etc. This kid is an elite D3guy that was a 3 time finalist at 197. And I will bet he is more athletic than Glazier.

Not too many guys on the roster are losing to "average" guys from Wartburg and GV. Most of our backups would start at those schools. Case in point, Charlie Dojan of Wartburg was NCAA runner up, hardly an "average" Wartburg wrestler. He lost at Luther to Joel Jesuroga who was what, 5th string at Iowa?

Not a perfect comparison, but Parker Venz from Augsburg is one common opponent for Endene and Glazier. Endone won by major and by a decision. Glazier teched him. Just a data point to consider.

Do you take the guy if he wants to come compete? Sure. But he's not a guy to pursue with the idea that you're upgrading the weight.

If he wants to be a hawk well sure why not, but I wouldn’t go selling the farm to bring him in

Why not invite him in and have him wrestle for a day or so and see if he has the talent to hang with the team... if not he moves on and so does the team. If he pans out then we happened to find a good one that may just have been at the wrong place to start with. I feel TNT are pretty good at evaluating talent- if given a chance to see them compete against current team members

Have any of you watched his matches? Kid has 1 season remaining and can't possibly jump enough levels in that amount of time to be the starter. Very good D3 wrestler with a below average gas tank. This doesn't work well at D1.

Reactions: el dub
Leave the knights alone!

My time there coincided with Scott Kauffman, who took a couple years off after leaving the Iowa team. He was going to be behind one of the Sturm brothers, but Ryan I believe got hurt, and Scott ended up D3 runner up. Of course I believe he was 25 or 26 years old at the time. And that was before covid and easy medical redshirts let everybody stick around forever. I dont think he took on oly shirt either :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT