ADVERTISEMENT

Missouri marijuana sales exceed $100 million in first month of legalized recreational sales

How much of that money, from Missouri and Illinois, is from Iowa residents?
Quite a lot I’ll bet.
So, Iowa currently has a significant increase in marijuana users, but just not the resulting revenue, which instead is going to other states.
As an Illinois resident, I would like to thank the fine people of Iowa for their patronage. Unfortunately non-residents are only allowed to purchase half as much per day as residents. Not sure what's behind that other than it's illegal to purchase our fine Illinois bud for consumption across state lines. I think that's discrimination and bad business. I think that non-residents should be able to buy twice as much so as to limit the number of trips and wasted gas.

Reactions: jellyfish10
I was completely comatose
Awww man, I remember trying a 6' bong in IC. Had to climb up a little step stool to hit it. Everyone that did it ahead of me was rolling around on the floor coughing their lungs out. Seemed like a great idea.

Gravity bongs in the kitchen sink were worse though. Wowser I remember seeing stars after the coughing fits. I'm assuming nobody does this any more with how powerful the weeds are.

Now days I'm a one hit wonder, hit it and quit it.

Awww man, I remember trying a 6' bong in IC. Had to climb up a little step stool to hit it. Everyone that did it ahead of me was rolling around on the floor coughing their lungs out. Seemed like a great idea.

Gravity bongs in the kitchen sink were worse though. Wowser I remember seeing stars after the coughing fits. I'm assuming nobody does this any more with how powerful the weeds are.

Now days I'm a one hit wonder, hit it and quit it.

Gravity bongs are no joke. They push the smoke into your stomach and lungs. Also possibly having collected carcinogens from the plastic.

The last thing Iowa needs is to have another judgement altering substance legalized.
Doesn't matter as Missouri and Illinois (and Minnesota soon to be) are close. Plenty of judgements in Iowa are already altered with benefit in those states.

Reactions: mattymoknows
For smokers who live near a dispensary, illegal is only worth it if they're saving a ton of money. The quality is still much more varied on the black market. Sometimes you're told this is from Cali and it actually is and sometimes it's from some dude's basement in Illinois or Colorado and he's an amateur and the product reflects that.

Only idiots still buy black market....the flower and the oil is just as good. The only thing not as good as the edibles

Last edited:
Reactions: like-woahh
15 years practicing law, 3 years as a magistrate......I can affimately state that I've seen more Ambien OWIs than THC OWIs. Also, never once seen a domestic violence case instigated by THC use. Alcohol is involved in nearly every one
Take a look at the Colorado statistics, weed has created a disaster.

Milan is getting crazy busy. Those two Moline locations need to open soon. There was a line today at 8 AM!

As an Illinois resident, I would like to thank the fine people of Iowa for their patronage. Unfortunately non-residents are only allowed to purchase half as much per day as residents. Not sure what's behind that other than it's illegal to purchase our fine Illinois bud for consumption across state lines. I think that's discrimination and bad business. I think that non-residents should be able to buy twice as much so as to limit the number of trips and wasted gas.

Ehhh... Unless you are a flame out, you can buy enough to last like 4 months.

I'm not sure why it is so hard for Kimmie and the MAGAS to realize that legalizing, regulating, and licensing would not be more safe than letting the black market to put out unregulated, untaxed, and unlicensed product

Reactions: Lindemann and nu2u
We have come to the point that druggies are standing in line to get their fix.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night,
who poverty and tatters and hollow-eyed and high sat up smoking in the supernatural darkness of cold-water flats floating across the tops of cities contemplating jazz,
who bared their brains to Heaven under the El and saw Mohammedan angels staggering on tenement roofs illuminated,
who passed through universities with radiant cool eyes hallucinating Arkansas and Blake-light tragedy among the scholars of war,
who were expelled from the academies for crazy & publishing obscene odes on the windows of the skull,
who cowered in unshaven rooms in underwear, burning their money in wastebaskets and listening to the Terror through the wall,
who got busted in their pubic beards returning through Laredo with a belt of marijuana for New York,

Only idiots still buy black market....the flower and the oil is just as good. The only thing not as good as the edibles
Fvck I’m an idiot! Even though Freddie disagrees with me, which is fine, I get better flower for less money from an independent grower. I get edibles from both private dealers and a dispensary. The nice thing about dispensary eddies is that they are consistent. Black market can vary a great deal. I should make my own edibles, but I can’t, bc fvcking idiot.

Things are very bad. Please don’t move here.
Broader Social Impact

The general societal impact of greater marijuana use has also been broad. And the impact is not limited to just the set of those who use. It can be seen reshaping social life in the wider community.

For instance, traffic danger has increased, according to the Rocky Mountain HIDTA. Colorado traffic deaths since legalization have increased 24 percent overall (all prior to the pandemic-related lockdowns), while deaths in which drivers tested positive for marijuana increased 135 percent. Currently, the percentage of all Colorado traffic deaths that were marijuana related has risen from 15 percent in 2014 to 25 percent in 2019.

As the nationwide workplace drug-testing company QUEST Diagnostics recently reported, positive tests for marijuana are 30 percent higher in Colorado than the national average, at a time when nationwide drug positive rates are at their highest in sixteen years. As a consequence, not only are workplaces less safe, but finding available workers, especially in safety-sensitive occupations such as transportation or mining, has become a challenge in Colorado.

More marijuana calls are coming in to poison control centers, which report that adverse marijuana-only exposures have more than quadrupled since legalization. Hospital emergency-department events with marijuana involvement have also risen sharply, as have marijuana-related hospitalizations.

As the years since legalization have passed, the public health and public safety impact has grown, year over year. The effect on families, on pediatricians, on educators, on emergency departments, on the workplace, on law enforcement, and indeed on the general quality of life in a once thriving state, has been strikingly negative.

We should not be surprised to learn that there is a high cost to making an addictive and dangerous substance a commercial product. Nor should we enable this public policy mistake to take root elsewhere. Taking stock, we can now say that the so-called legalization experiment has, at least, produced one positive impact—it has issued a clear warning about the path we are on.

The first month of recreational marijuana sales in Illinois generated just $39.2 million compared to Missouri's first month with $102 million.

ST. LOUIS — This weekend marked one month since recreational marijuana became legal in the state of Missouri.

Just for the month of February, sales already exceeded $100 million.

An amendment allowing for recreational sales in Missouri passed in November 2022, which paved the way for dispensaries to open across our area.

To put the success into perspective, the first month of recreational marijuana sales in Illinois generated $39.2 million compared to Missouri's first month with $102.9 million.

$31.2 million was medical use sales and $71.7 million was recreational sales.

That sales record includes $13 million from the first weekend alone, Feb. 3 to Feb. 5.

Nick Wegman, the general manager of Feel State Dispensary, said it's been an exciting and busy first month.

"Our main goal is to make sure that people who connect with us are happy as they can be," he said.

Traffic inside Feel State Dispensary in Florissant hasn't slowed down a bit, according to Wegman.

"We went from seeing about 150 people a day to about 550 overnight," he said.

While it's been an exciting first month of recreational marijuana sales, Wegman said, they're making changes constantly to keep up with the demand.

"We've hired about 15 new people and tend to double that here in the next couple of weeks. More bags, more staples, more printer paper," he said.

According to Wegman, about 160 new people are walking through the doors daily, but patients aren't the only ones experiencing the benefits.

"I think just in general the spirit of North County has lifted, so to speak," he said.

People waited hours in line for the grand opening of a new dispensary, Viola STL in South St. Louis City.

CEO Daniel Pettigrew said St. Louis has welcomed them with open arms.

"It's been unbelievable the support from the people of St. Louis, it's been incredible. We're just really excited about everything," he said.

The dispensary located on Iowa Street was the second one Viola STL opened this weekend. The other location is on Olive Street.

Both are located in the City of St. Louis and are the only Black-owned dispensaries in the city, according to Pettigrew.

"It's a family-owned business and we treat it as such. We’re really engaged on the ground in these communities, really interacting with the people literally on the ground" he said.

Former NBA players Al Harrington and Larry Hughes are also behind the business.

The collaboration between Hughes, a St. Louis native who played at Saint Louis University before being drafted to the NBA, and Harrington was first announced in November 2020. The two were previously teammates on the New York Knicks from 2009 to 2010.

Pettigrew said the dispensary located on Iowa Street is the only dispensary in the city with a drive-thru.

"We want people to be able to come into a safe, secure place, get their product and then get out, so that’s the main thing. It will really allow us to serve more customers. This neighborhood is in the community, so it was important to them, as we met with them, that they didn’t want a lot of people standing around and lingering in the area. It just allows us to complete the transaction in a safe secure environment, facilitate it, get everyone what they need and let them get on their way as quickly as possible," he said.

Just like cannabis changed Pettigrew's life, he's excited to help it change others.

"The stigma of the war on drugs has really been unbelievably negative and it's been directed and affected some communities more than others, so for us, the opportunity to kind of correct that wrong is huge," he said.

Feel State Dispensary is already looking to expand their building to allow more people inside.

Wegman said they are going to add 3,000 square feet and are hoping to do that in the next couple of months.
Is the purported revenue from marijuana sales truly worth it for the states? Not according to a statement counseling against marijuana legalization from several state medical societies representing thousands of physicians. Whatever amount of money the state thinks will be legal marijuana gravy, doctors fear that the damage done will cost even more.

The doctors write: “legalization continues to present serious public health concerns…. We are very concerned that the long-term public health costs associated with hospitalizations and treatment for psychiatric/addictive disorders could significantly outweigh any revenues that (states) anticipate would be received from the legalization of cannabis.”

So striking is the risk that the Irish Board of Psychiatry, recently summarizing the matter, stated that high-potency cannabis in Ireland has become “the gravest threat to the mental health of young people.”

Broader Social Impact

The general societal impact of greater marijuana use has also been broad. And the impact is not limited to just the set of those who use. It can be seen reshaping social life in the wider community.

For instance, traffic danger has increased, according to the Rocky Mountain HIDTA. Colorado traffic deaths since legalization have increased 24 percent overall (all prior to the pandemic-related lockdowns), while deaths in which drivers tested positive for marijuana increased 135 percent. Currently, the percentage of all Colorado traffic deaths that were marijuana related has risen from 15 percent in 2014 to 25 percent in 2019.

As the nationwide workplace drug-testing company QUEST Diagnostics recently reported, positive tests for marijuana are 30 percent higher in Colorado than the national average, at a time when nationwide drug positive rates are at their highest in sixteen years. As a consequence, not only are workplaces less safe, but finding available workers, especially in safety-sensitive occupations such as transportation or mining, has become a challenge in Colorado.

More marijuana calls are coming in to poison control centers, which report that adverse marijuana-only exposures have more than quadrupled since legalization. Hospital emergency-department events with marijuana involvement have also risen sharply, as have marijuana-related hospitalizations.

As the years since legalization have passed, the public health and public safety impact has grown, year over year. The effect on families, on pediatricians, on educators, on emergency departments, on the workplace, on law enforcement, and indeed on the general quality of life in a once thriving state, has been strikingly negative.

We should not be surprised to learn that there is a high cost to making an addictive and dangerous substance a commercial product. Nor should we enable this public policy mistake to take root elsewhere. Taking stock, we can now say that the so-called legalization experiment has, at least, produced one positive impact—it has issued a clear warning about the path we are on.
Compare Colorado’s traffic deaths/million miles to the national average. Colorado’s are up 10% since 2013. Same as the national average.

Wear a seatbelt and don’t ride a motorcycle. That’s where almost all of the increase occurred.

Is the purported revenue from marijuana sales truly worth it for the states? Not according to a statement counseling against marijuana legalization from several state medical societies representing thousands of physicians. Whatever amount of money the state thinks will be legal marijuana gravy, doctors fear that the damage done will cost even more.

The doctors write: “legalization continues to present serious public health concerns…. We are very concerned that the long-term public health costs associated with hospitalizations and treatment for psychiatric/addictive disorders could significantly outweigh any revenues that (states) anticipate would be received from the legalization of cannabis.”

So striking is the risk that the Irish Board of Psychiatry, recently summarizing the matter, stated that high-potency cannabis in Ireland has become “the gravest threat to the mental health of young people.”

Hey dipshit, those young people are already doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT