ADVERTISEMENT

Name a head coach that you'd like to see at Iowa that nobody else has mentioned on this board

I don't think Ferentz should be fired nor do I want him to be, but an intriguing name no one mentions would be Dave Doren (sp?) at NC St. The guy was fantastic at No Illinois and he's been very good at NC St. I don't know who the Utah St coach is but they are putting up crazy points this year.

That said, it's such a roll of the dice replacing a coach. Go over the hot coaching names from the past few years...how many have panned out? Not many.
--Fleck has been terrible.
--Nebraska looked like a train wreck other than blowing out a few bad teams over the past few weeks. Their coaches before Frost were trash.

--Michigan went through 2 coaches who were big name hires (both disasters) before Harbaugh, who has been mediocre up to this year.

--Brohm has been ok at Purdue...the coach they had before him was a big name and he was terrible there.

USC has went through 3 coaches since Pete Carroll, all big name up and coming coaches, and they were all terrible. They've barely been a top 25 team over the past 6-7 years. Florida is irrelevant, Miami is too. Texas has been nonexistent since Mack brown left. Tennessee, which was a powerhouse under Fullmer, has gone through like 4 coaches since he left, each one a big name hire, and they are pretty much a laughingstock.

It's definitely been a frustrating year. I don't think blowing the whole thing up and hiring some hot young coach, which works out maybe 10% of the time, is the answer.

Harbaugh’s been mediocre?

This will be his 3rd 10-win season in 4 years at Michigan. He’s had his team in the playoff discussion two out of the 4 years he’s been there.

I think any Iowa fan would be able to stomach that mediocrity.

Edit: and when exactly was Brady Hoke a “Big Name” hire? He was the head coach for SDSU for 2 years before Michigan and has one 9 win season and one 4 win season.

He had 2 winning seasons in his 6 year stint at Ball State before SDSU. He would not have been hired by Michigan had he not had ties to Michigan. “Big Name” - he was not.

Last edited:
This thread shows what you get when you have an AD who doesn't do his homework or hires a Headhunter.
Does anyone believe Hayden Fry was the next young stud coach before he was hired at Iowa ? He was not. But, Bump Elliott did a lot of research and came up with Hayden at North Texas State. He gave Iowa a wonderful 15 years before other coaches / recruiters started using his age against him.
Their are guys out there who just have to be researched and found by our AD. Otherwise our AD needs to be gone. Do your damn job Mr. Barta !!!

Ryan Day...tOSU Off. Coordinator
Luke Fickel...Cinn HC

Both have coached big boy football and have high ethical standards like Ferentz. Both young, experienced and climbing the ladder.

Seems like good timing for this. I have a few ideas, but I'm curious as to who you all think could be a strong candidate and have a chance at success and invigorating this program, and not just your typical Brian Ferentz/Brett Bielema/Bob Stoops/Mark Stoops and others with Hawkeye ties, which seems to be a prerequisite for some reason.

Go
Brent Venables that would be sweet. We’re Iowa though so we’re good with Ferentz

Reactions: 3buzzmable
I read today that Les Miles is going to Kansas.
It will be interesting to see who gets the OSU job when Meyer steps down (not saying he will this year) . However, I believe it will be between Luke Fickle and Campbell. Both Ohio guys and highly thought of.

I read today that Les Miles is going to Kansas.
It will be interesting to see who gets the OSU job when Meyer steps down (not saying he will this year) . However, I believe it will be between Luke Fickle and Campbell. Both Ohio guys and highly thought of.
Fickle's experience as the interim coach will take him out of consideration. He had bad luck there, with an uninterested group of players at Ohio State, but people won't forget that 6 loss season. I look for him to move to another Big 10 team in the next few years. Ryan Day, on the other hand, had a good run at interim coach and has the offensive mind. Had a chance to take the Mississippi State job, but stayed at OSU. That says something about where he wants to be.

Kenny Dillingham, Memphis, Offensive Coordinator (28): Dillingham’s one of the youngest offensive coordinators in college football and, if the last few years are any indication, he’s clearly got a grasp on this whole “offense” thing. A graduate assistant-turned-QB-coach-turned-OC in three seasons, he had a hand in Riley Ferguson’s offensive bonanza. We’re interested to see how the Tigers look with a new quarterback at the helm.

Cam Aiken, Clemson, Offensive Analyst (29): The Clemson staff is super high on Aiken, who’s been with the program for all three playoff runs. He’s seen as a vital part of the team’s game-day planning and execution.

Jay Harbaugh, Michigan, Running Backs Coach (29): Yes, he’s Jim’s son — but Jay’s done plenty on his own to earn a nod on this list. As running backs coach in 2017, Harbaugh oversaw a room that had three backs rush for over 500 yards. Starter Karan Higdon chipped in UM’s first 1,000-yard season since 2011. He has also been critical to Michigan recruiting one of the top RB classes in 2019.

Collin Klein, Kansas State, Co-offensive Coordinator (28): A 2012 Heisman Trophy finalist and arguably the best signal caller in Kansas State history, Klein was promoted to co-offensive coordinator, to go with his duties as QB coach, this winter after Dana Dimel left to be the head coach at UTEP.

Reactions: Jonnymungo
Kenny Dillingham, Memphis, Offensive Coordinator (28): Dillingham’s one of the youngest offensive coordinators in college football and, if the last few years are any indication, he’s clearly got a grasp on this whole “offense” thing. A graduate assistant-turned-QB-coach-turned-OC in three seasons, he had a hand in Riley Ferguson’s offensive bonanza. We’re interested to see how the Tigers look with a new quarterback at the helm.

Cam Aiken, Clemson, Offensive Analyst (29): The Clemson staff is super high on Aiken, who’s been with the program for all three playoff runs. He’s seen as a vital part of the team’s game-day planning and execution.

Jay Harbaugh, Michigan, Running Backs Coach (29): Yes, he’s Jim’s son — but Jay’s done plenty on his own to earn a nod on this list. As running backs coach in 2017, Harbaugh oversaw a room that had three backs rush for over 500 yards. Starter Karan Higdon chipped in UM’s first 1,000-yard season since 2011. He has also been critical to Michigan recruiting one of the top RB classes in 2019.

Collin Klein, Kansas State, Co-offensive Coordinator (28): A 2012 Heisman Trophy finalist and arguably the best signal caller in Kansas State history, Klein was promoted to co-offensive coordinator, to go with his duties as QB coach, this winter after Dana Dimel left to be the head coach at UTEP.
and people say Brian Ferentz isn't qualified

Seems like good timing for this. I have a few ideas, but I'm curious as to who you all think could be a strong candidate and have a chance at success and invigorating this program, and not just your typical Brian Ferentz/Brett Bielema/Bob Stoops/Mark Stoops and others with Hawkeye ties, which seems to be a prerequisite for some reason.

Go
Sean Mcvey

Wolfpack fan here. To the fan above throwing out Coach Dave Doeren’s name, he just got a new contract and raise last year. Buyout would be around $6M I believe.

This is his 7th year. He’s not perfect but overall he’s done a good job. But it has been a very slow climb. Admittedly, we’re in the tougher side of the ACC in the Atlantic. Everyone is playing for 2nd right now behind Clemson.

We’re looking at a 9-3 regular season barring any more WTF loses. And recruiting is going very well, currently ranked in the top-20.

But Doeren is a midwest guy from Kansas who spent time on Bielema’s staff at Wisconsin and also Mangino’s staff at Kansas. So he’s familiar with your neck of the woods. Reportedly, he and his family love Raleigh. And he did turn down an overture from Tennessee last year leading to the new contract.

But perhaps he’d listen if Ferentz retires.

Iowa state's defensive coordinator is incredible. Don't know where he came from but it's unreal what he has done especially in that league.
I'm sick and tired of defense. We need to hire someone who's willing to throw the football and then throw it again. Look at the pro's. All your best teams are offensive minded. We need to catch up with the times.....

Jerry Burns. Evy sabotaged him the first time around and now he's got a few years under Vince Lombardi and Bud Grant on his resume. He hasn't lost a game in 27 years either.

This seems like a guy who should get a shot somewhere. Wonder why he hasn't.
FCS is a dangerous place for a head coach. Most don’t get out of it if they are a head coach very long.

The guy that built NDSU up could do not better than Wyoming.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT