ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Championship Thread : Session III

Go figure, the SKY WAS FALLING and Iowa is STILL in 2nd place. But, continue to complain on here like guys winning multiple matches at the toughest folkstyle tournament in the world are only "average" wrestlers....
It isn't the losing that is frustrating, some of the other guys are just better. It's how we lose. Love Murin's match, he lost. Cobe, made dumb mistakes he shouldn't be making. Nelson and Abe did nothing and lost, that is the frustrating part. When we don't even try to score points until late, wrestling with no urgency... If we let it fly and get beat, so be it, but when we wrestle so conservative and lose, that frustrates me.

It isn't the losing that is frustrating, some of the other guys are just better. It's how we lose. Love Murin's match, he lost. Cobe, made dumb mistakes he shouldn't be making. Nelson and Abe did nothing and lost, that is the frustrating part. When we don't even try to score points until late, wrestling with no urgency... If we let it fly and get beat, so be it, but when we wrestle so conservative and lose, that frustrates me.
You have to actually watch the match and know the opponents before complaining like you did.

1.) Murin lost to a guy that is going for his FOURTH NCAA Title by 1 point, nearly getting nearfall at the end to win. Anyone even using that match to complain loses all credibility, even if you preface it with "love".

2.) Cobe is wrestling injured. His style is loose, but he isn't in good enough physical shape to win positions he normally would.

3.) Nelson was wrestling a guy that NOONE scores on. The way Nelson wrestled this tournament, he doesn't deserve a BIT of criticism so far.

4.)I can see being upset with Abe. So far, and injuries may play a big part in why, he is simply a 12-15ish type guy. He lost a 1 point match to the #11 guy. I get wanting more, but he is about what he should be for how he has wrestled his career so far...

I get the letting it fly argument from regular fans, but it just isn't that easy. The guys that "let it fly" actually have the skillset to do so(see Spencer Lee). With how good counters are now, all letting it fly would do for most of these guys is get them far behind early in matches

You have to actually watch the match and know the opponents before complaining like you did.

1.) Murin lost to a guy that is going for his FOURTH NCAA Title by 1 point, nearly getting nearfall at the end to win. Anyone even using that match to complain loses all credibility, even if you preface it with "love".

2.) Cobe is wrestling injured. His style is loose, but he isn't in good enough physical shape to win positions he normally would.

3.) Nelson was wrestling a guy that NOONE scores on. The way Nelson wrestled this tournament, he doesn't deserve a BIT of criticism so far.

4.)I can see being upset with Abe. So far, and injuries may play a big part in why, he is simply a 12-15ish type guy. He lost a 1 point match to the #11 guy. I get wanting more, but he is about what he should be for how he has wrestled his career so far...

I get the letting it fly argument from regular fans, but it just isn't that easy. The guys that "let it fly" actually have the skillset to do so(see Spencer Lee). With how good counters are now, all letting it fly would do for most of these guys is get them far behind early in matches
Agree with all.

What an effort by Max. Cobe doesn’t lose that position if he has a shoulder. Nelson was the aggressor in 1st period. Nelson lost to a better, bigger wrestler. Barely.

Reactions: MSU158
If you go back to when he was first recruited.

He was a guy everyone was saying should win a couple titles.

Same was said for Warner if I believe.

How many kids have truly made great strides since coming here?

Don’t know if you are talking about upper weights only or the whole team? Iowa has a great track record with lower weights (the guys the Brands train with). Our upper weights have been a struggle and you can blame both upper weight coaches and recruiting.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Tough match for PK. Big for the team score as well as Cornell is right there with Nebby and the Hawks.

Didn't Abe's ranking drop quite be a bit his senior year.

Reactions: Chalkdaddy94
What do you do for a living? Are you world class at what you do? I don't know you but the odds are against it. Are you just pretty good? Maybe you're only ok? Shall we call you "garbage" too? Just calling a spade a spade.
Assad is world class? I’m assuming that’s the correlation that you’re trying to make.

Was “garbage” too strong? Ok. Assad is “not good.” Is that better? Cut ties now and find something better. He’s never going to be an AA and that what Iowa should be focused on.

Reactions: LafesterMacintosh

wtf?

Abe was never pegged to win any titles.

There may have been some hype for Warner, but nobody was engraving the medals.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT