ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU AA's Caliendo and Franek Announce Transfer to Iowa

Are you guys just kicking Riggens to the curb?
A lot of wrestlers get kicked to the curb. Beard & Verkleeren to name a couple. and he will control what happens in his future.

Top level competition is what every Hawk wrestler needs and this is a start.

Riggins is the correct spelling. Are you a Hawk fan?

Reactions: Grip220
A lot of wrestlers get kicked to the curb. Beard & Verkleeren to name a couple. and he will control what happens in his future.

PSU may be kicking facundo to the curb soon, who I think was #2 pfp in his class. Sealy in #5, and there may still be a big enough log jam in their middle weights that he may not be a multiple year starter. Dog eat dog at the top.

Reactions: goldenanimal
The NCAA gives you a one-year grace for enrollment. For tennis it’s only six months. Your clock starts when you enroll or one year following your high school graduation. That applies to D1 and D2. D3 and NAIA eligibility begins at enrollment. That’s how you end up with 35 year old guys wrestling in those divisions who are not military.

And he’s in that 1 year grace period right now. Not sure everyone knows that but perhaps you do.

Are you guys just kicking Riggens to the curb?

Riggins barely placed at the Soldier Solute last year. He has a long, long way to go.

My prediction, Caliendo,sits

It would be a shocker for him to transfer only to sit out.

Naw. Not complaining at all. Love the Caliendo pickup. Not sure I understand the Franek one though. Kennedy would have placed the exact same with the same path. I've never been a recruit-over guys. Bring in guys who over those who are not producing (Schreiver/Teske, Cobe, Assad, 197) - sure.

But I will echo the above sentiment this is good for Iowa Wrestling. These moves make for a better room, a better lineup and more points at NCAAs. So good job Tom.

Your post doesn’t make any sense. Franek was 157. Caliendo and Kennedy were 165.

Reactions: CarolinaHawkeye
You know what's even more less fun? Watching PSU bring in the best recruits and best transfer portal guys every year. Very weird reaction to this great news imo.
It was more a comment in where the sport is than this news in particular. Just a slow feeling I've been having. I dunno. I didn't feel this way when Real Woods signed on.

125: Ayala
133: Teske/Schriever
141: Woods
149: Voinovich/Siebrecht/Rathjen
157: Franek/(Anthony Ferrari)
165: Kennedy/Caliendo/(Anthony Ferrari)
174: Kennedy/Caliendo/Brands
184: Assad/Brands
197: Glazier/Assad
285: Cass
Would rather see brands at 84. We need 197 and 133. Don’t forget about Cruz at 25. Assuming he will contest that spot.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Pretty much like brands vs Starocci.

Carr and Franek have wrestled each other so many times it was just uglier and uglier each time they met
It's also no secret Carr was having major trouble with the cut to 157 that tournament (IK I don't have to tell you that). I'm sure you recall Kaleb Young gave him quite the scare on the backside as well in the R16. I was actually pretty shocked in the moment thinking Young was going to pull it off.

It's also no secret Carr was having major trouble with the cut to 157 that tournament (IK I don't have to tell you that). I'm sure you recall Kaleb Young gave him quite the scare on the backside as well in the R16. I was actually pretty shocked in the moment thinking Young was going to pull it off.
Ya, he was running on fumes for the tournament.

There isn’t a clear cut favorite at 157 this year. The Big Ten will be tough top to bottom. Haines, Robb(?), Lewan, Coleman, Saldate, Chumbley and others.
Franek can position himself to be in a great spot come NCAA’s with success in the Big Ten.
With his experience and past success he’s in the discussion as a possible NCAA Champion.

There isn’t a clear cut favorite at 157 this year. The Big Ten will be tough top to bottom. Haines, Robb(?), Lewan, Coleman, Saldate, Chumbley and others.
Franek can position himself to be in a great spot come NCAA’s with success in the Big Ten.
With his experience and past success he’s in the discussion as a possible NCAA Champion.
I really question if Robb will be able to make it back next year. Wonder what the recovery timeline looks like for having actual muscle cut from your leg to treat necrotizing fasciitis? Everything I've read on the google machine suggests pretty lengthy recovery with most survivors lucky to be alive. Of course most people aren't young, high level athletes in fantastic shape, with D1 Wrestler mental toughness. Either way, I'm rooting for him to make it back. Saw it posted that maybe he misses the whole season and applies for a medical year to allow more time for recovery.

I really question if Robb will be able to make it back next year. Wonder what the recovery timeline looks like for having actual muscle cut from your leg to treat necrotizing fasciitis? Everything I've read on the google machine suggests pretty lengthy recovery with most survivors lucky to be alive. Of course most people aren't young, high level athletes in fantastic shape, with D1 Wrestler mental toughness. Either way, I'm rooting for him to make it back. Saw it posted that maybe he misses the whole season and applies for a medical year to allow more time for recovery.
Taking the Redshirt would be the prudent move, one would think. There’s no need to rush it.

It looks like the mid majors are just the minor leagues in wrestling. Develop talent and then watch as they move on. Believe in a kid out of high school - develop him- and then watch as he leaves with no sense of loyalty to the school or program.
I know this is different since there was a coaching change at NDSU, but it sure seems like this is the case in most instances.
Maybe after the covid fallout of guys having an extra year things will get back to normal again. Then again, maybe it will get worse.
It’s not just wrestling, it’s all sports.

Reactions: Inthecircle
And he’s in that 1 year grace period right now. Not sure everyone knows that but perhaps you do.

Riggins barely placed at the Soldier Solute last year. He has a long, long way to go.

It would be a shocker for him to transfer only to sit out.

Your post doesn’t make any sense. Franek was 157. Caliendo and Kennedy were 165.
It’s my understanding he’s a ‘22 grad so his clock starts this fall whether he enrolls or not.

I agree.... We do not know that Tom/Terry went after these 2 transfers.... They could have very well approached Iowa wanting to come here and no matter what the circumstances are, I don't see Tom saying no to anyone who can come in and challenge for a starting spot... Bring in the big dogs and let them fight for the front porch..
This is a joke, right?

Riggins should find a school who wont recruit over him multiple times and enjoy his remaining 4 years.
It's already been established on here that you have to be the starter to even be considered to have been recruited over and really anyone who isn't a returning AA isn't getting recruited over and if those guys win the spot still then they didn't get recruited over. A premier school isn't going to stay premier by saving spots.

It's already been established on here that you have to be the starter to even be considered to have been recruited over and really anyone who isn't a returning AA isn't getting recruited over and if those guys win the spot still then they didn't get recruited over. A premier school isn't going to stay premier by saving spots.
Exactly, you ant the spot - wreck everyone in your way. Otherwise no whining.

Reactions: sabula

i, e, o, who cares how Riggins is spelled. You have to ask if the poster is a Hawk fan because he didn’t spell the name right?

i, e, o, who cares how Riggins is spelled. You have to ask if the poster is a Hawk fan because he didn’t spell the name right?
You Got It Bingo GIF by The Wiggles

Reactions: el dub
We still don't have a '33 or '97 and it doesn't look like we are going to get someone to fill those weights. Hard to get too pumped for a team with two black holes in the lineup.
While I understand the sentiment, having 1-2 'holes' is a non-issue IMO. Have you noticed how many holes PSU championship teams have had over the years? Obviously their team next year is looking dynamite, but typically they will also have 2-3 holes on their teams (maybe the avg will be less going forward with NIL + portal). The MORE important piece is getting your Non 'Hole' weights to be studs who are placing top 3 at NCAAs with multiple finalists and champs.

While I understand the sentiment, having 1-2 'holes' is a non-issue IMO. Have you noticed how many holes PSU championship teams have had over the years? Obviously their team next year is looking dynamite, but typically they will also have 2-3 holes on their teams (maybe the avg will be less going forward with NIL + portal). The MORE important piece is getting your Non 'Hole' weights to be studs who are placing top 3 at NCAAs with multiple finalists and champs.
We have holes without the title winning studs. Not a good combination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT