ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska offer list over 400

Ahh yes...recruiting and bringing in talent makes OSU and PSU good but not at Neb...an opinion primarily based on a 3 yr tenure of Riley and staff...all of whom including Riley's strength staff, nutrition staffs, and even the AD are all gone.

Iowa is good at talent eval and more so...development at certain positions. However, don't use Iowa, an outlier, to prove a point that 4* talent doesn't win you games. Just look at the majority of the top 25 yr and and yr out and then glance at the recruiting rankings. Of course there are outliers who over or under perform their recruiting rankings, but that doesn't disprove talent matters and more often than not the recruiting sites get it right.

Good on Iowa for being good talent evaluators...they need to be since they don't seem to go after or have much luck with nationally recruited top talent. Funny thing is their best player is a 5*. If his dad had not been a legacy he probably would have ended up elsewhere. Not making fun of that either...Neb's last 5* was a legacy also. Just pointing out how impactful highly rated players can have.

Yes, I can say Neb under Frost has gotten many of their top targets starting with Martinez. Looking at last recruiting cycle...Henrich, Benhart, W. Robinson, T. Robinson, Newsom, Johnson, Hannah, Pola-Gates, Hickman, Mills, etc...plan A guys. Corcoran, Betts, Hutmacher, Smothers, and Gunnerson are all plan A guys at their positions Neb has landed so far this cycle. Not all are 4* guys either (some may end up there) the staff identified and put a lot of effort into.

Did you not read a word of this. Your recruiting hasn’t made any measurable difference. None. Over a 20 year period.

Outrecruiting like Ohio State has done — there’s an advantage.

“Speaking of 4*...

I was curious if the star advantage Neb held overIowa meant anything? Were we truly being outrecruited. And how did Ohio State (which I consider to have a true recruiting advantagecompare.

Here’s what I found from TOS since 2000:

Iowa
6 - 5*
34 - 4* so over 20 years (1.7 per year)

Nebraska
2 - 5*
95 - 4* (4.8 per year)

Ohio State
43 - 5*
200+ - 4*

Over that time period
Nebraska 154 wins, 0 NC, 0 BTC
Iowa 151 wins, 0 NC, 2 BTC
Ohio State 206 wins, 2 NC, and 9 BTC

Summary:
1) Nebraska bust rate must be extremely high. 60 more 4* in 20 years hasn’t made a bit of difference.
5) 5 stars correlate more highly with NC, and BTC.”

Vegas would play you for the fool. I’m assuming you’re betting the over on 8.5 wins too.

I’ll wager bets I have the advantage on. In this case I know my coach will grind things out, and shut it down, while yours is chasing points.

Iowa winning the total TDs last year was just proof that the Husker Offense was not dominant.

I'd actually take the under for Nebraska as I think they win 8 games, but I don't bet them because I'm a fan and that gets in the way with gambling for the most part.

What coach isn't chasing points? Our styles are different, but I guarantee BF is chasing points as well. Just trying to have a little friendly competition around here.

Sorry it should have read conference championships instead.

“Time will tell” — it has been telling you just haven’t paid attention. It’s different now though. You went 4-8 with all this talent in the system. Well guess what - your boys that got you to 4-8 are still there. Not much will have changed

It was his first year, you don't develope in one year, thus the time will tell. Was KF able to develope his talent in year one?

I'd actually take the under for Nebraska as I think they win 8 games, but I don't bet them because I'm a fan and that gets in the way with gambling for the most part.

What coach isn't chasing points? Our styles are different, but I guarantee BF is chasing points as well. Just trying to have a little friendly competition around here.

Look Z, I’m sure you’re a nice guy and all. But when it comes down to analyzing stats, facts, Vegas lines, and really anything football related — leave that to me. I’ve been running circles around you and your squad for days now.

And now you’re wondering why my OC isn’t chasing points and yours is.

1) We lead, we chew clock and win games. Possessing the ball is most important. Points are secondary.

2) You have little defense, so you have to chase points. Either you’re losing and having to score, or winning with the knowledge that your defense is likely to give up 7 — and this needing to score.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
I actually got to see Oregon’s much feared spread offense in person under Kelly. Went to the Kick Off Classic in 2011 #3 Oregon vs #4 LSU. I left start of 4th quarter with LSU up 33 to 13. LSU was playing with the backup QB because the starter was suspended for the first game.
Cool a game from 2011 when Frost was the WR coach at Oregon. Clearly that one game disproves my data regarding Frost running the offenses at Oregon and UCF finishing in the top 5 in scoring 4 of his 6 yrs as an OC or HC. The only 2 yrs he didn't were first years with new teams.

Now I'm not saying Neb will finish in the top 5 scoring in 2019, but they can certainly be 1 or 2 in the B1G and top 15 nationally.

Cool a game from 2011 when Frost was the WR coach at Oregon. Clearly that one game disproves my data regarding Frost running the offenses at Oregon and UCF finishing in the top 5 in scoring 4 of his 6 yrs as an OC or HC. The only 2 yrs he didn't were first years with new teams.

Now I'm not saying Neb will finish in the top 5 scoring in 2019, but they can certainly be 1 or 2 in the B1G and top 15 nationally.
A Nebraska fan implying 2011 was ages ago?

Reactions: sltldowney

There, that seems more reasonable. I would say top 4-5 behind OSU, PSU and Michigan.
Until you prove that you’re at that level. But I get that a fan is going to overestimate.

This isn’t the MAC or the AAC. You’re not going to make a 20% climb just because Martinez played spring ball. Defenses will adjust accordingly.

Look Z, I’m sure you’re a nice guy and all. But when it comes down to analyzing stats, facts, Vegas lines, and really anything football related — leave that to me. I’ve been running circles around you and your squad for days now.

1) We lead, we chew clock and win games. Possessing the ball is most important. Points are secondary.

2) You have little defense, so you have to chase points. Either you’re losing and having to score, or winning with the knowledge that your defense is likely to give up 7 — and this needing to score.

Iowa's style is why it takes a perfect storm to ever pull off a great season with a post season...something Kirk has done 1-2 times in 20 years. You risk having garbage teams hang around and get beat in close games since it isn't possible to win all close games. Hawks can't get the athletes to ever do otherwise so have fun with that

Iowa's style is why it takes a perfect storm to ever pull off a great season with a post season...something Kirk has done 1-2 times in 20 years. You risk having garbage teams hang around and get beat in close games since it isn't possible to win all close games. Hawks can't get the athletes to ever do otherwise so have fun with that

I’m content with the limited downside and potential upside. Up until this year Fant was our best kill shot.

Now we have 2. Our offense won’t be dynamic until we get a dynamic RB (G Williams).

Brian has been working with limited receivers. Now those guys are upperclassmen and we have the quickest / fastest slot players that we’ve had for years.

Oh yeah, and we use our TEs, ya know.

I predict the offense to take another step forward under Brian.

Reactions: Razorhawk2
I’m content with the limited downside and potential upside. Up until this year Fant was our best kill shot.

Now we have 2. Our offense won’t be dynamic until we get a dynamic RB (G Williams).

Brian has been working with limited receivers. Now those guys are upperclassmen and we have the quickest / fastest slot players that we’ve had for years.

Oh yeah, and we use our TEs, ya know.

I predict the offense to take another step forward under Brian.

Tight ends are great, but you just had 2 go in the 1st round and I didn't see a difference. Goodson is better than Williams at RB. WRs will be a little better this year, but that isn't a hard thing to do.

Just curious...it sounds like you’re doing your research. How did the defenses rank in those same years Frost was OC or HC?

Just curious...it sounds like you’re doing your research. How did the defenses rank in those same years Frost was OC or HC?

When you run a fast no huddle - numbers get skewed. No different than dragging out the clock leaving less time for opponents. Dubs and Ls are all that matters.

When you run a fast no huddle - numbers get skewed. No different than dragging out the clock leaving less time for opponents. Dubs and Ls are all that matters.
My point exactly. W’s and L’s are what matter not if you finish in the top 5 in scoring.

Tight ends are great, but you just had 2 go in the 1st round and I didn't see a difference. Goodson is better than Williams at RB. WRs will be a little better this year, but that isn't a hard thing to do.

Don’t act like you know this program.

Fant and Hock [NFL EARLY] accounted for 13 TDs. We’ve got another JR 6’5 great catch radius.

And two stud freshmen.

Goodson will be good like Wadley, but Williams has the high end speed that none of our other backs have plus power at 200 LBs.

WRs. Go ahead and sleep on them. We finally have a group of four that are talented enough to play. We’re building that room surely.

Squad? I'm one person over here trying to talk football, and nothing that you have said to me has ran a circle around me. I used some of the facts you gave me, offered a wager and then you went a different direction saying that we are going to chase points and you are going to grind it out. What's the difference from last year where you scored more? Why not bet on your team?

Reactions: ThrowBones92
From my experience, a great offense is usually trumped by a great defense. that's why I pointed out the Dolphins and Dan Marino days. They could score, but when they played a team that had a decent offense and a great defense, they always came up short. I think Frost will have them competing for the West, and maybe a BiG in time, but I think it is going to be tough to build a championship defense when they play the fast break offense in practice each day. My example is the Iowa vs Ohio State game a couple years back. Iowa was the first no spread team tOSU had played that year, and they were not prepared. It's hard to be physical in the trenches on defense if your not practicing that way, and the fast break style offense is not a physical style of offense.
I won't argue with you on that at all. Big believer that defense wins championships, generally. I'm interested to see how the talent he is compiling fares. It's not like they don't want to be great on defense. They're paying the DC way too much money not to demand excellence. I don't think Frost can rely on a high scoring offense without a strong defense to win a big games against good teams consistently. My hope is that they put together a good enough defense to be great on both sides. :)

Good example with the Dolphins, even if you're dating yourself ;)

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Did you not read a word of this. Your recruiting hasn’t made any measurable difference. None. Over a 20 year period.

Outrecruiting like Ohio State has done — there’s an advantage.

“Speaking of 4*...

I was curious if the star advantage Neb held overIowa meant anything? Were we truly being outrecruited. And how did Ohio State (which I consider to have a true recruiting advantagecompare.

Here’s what I found from TOS since 2000:

Iowa
6 - 5*
34 - 4* so over 20 years (1.7 per year)

Nebraska
2 - 5*
95 - 4* (4.8 per year)

Ohio State
43 - 5*
200+ - 4*

Over that time period
Nebraska 154 wins, 0 NC, 0 BTC
Iowa 151 wins, 0 NC, 2 BTC
Ohio State 206 wins, 2 NC, and 9 BTC

Summary:
1) Nebraska bust rate must be extremely high. 60 more 4* in 20 years hasn’t made a bit of difference.
5) 5 stars correlate more highly with NC, and BTC.”
It's not recruiting that didn't make a difference. Neb has had the talent during much of those 20 yrs to win their conference/division. It was below average coaching at almost each stop. Neb came very close a few times but was out-coached by TX, Wisc, OU. With the exception of the Riley years Neb had talent. Pelini had talent...esp on D. It's why despite being coached by a guy struggling at YSU they won't 9-10 games 7 yrs in a row.

Coaching...not talent has been the issue. Now Frost...by all accounts is a good HC. He still needs to prove it at Neb, but if you follow college football outside of IC at all you know he and Neb are getting a lot of national love...not local Neb homer love. We'll see, but I'm bullish on Frost and Martinez.

Since you appear to like to crunch numbers...go see how Frost's classes with 4* and even 5.7 3* talent compares to prior staffs. It's a pretty significant increase. So unless you think Frost n staff are on par or worse than Pelini/Riley and their staffs, it's reasonable to expect a significant performance increase under Frost.

BWT why did you only go back to 2000 with your data and not the 20 yrs you mentioned? 20 yrs is a nice round number and encompasses all of KFs time at Iowa. It also includes a 12-1 conference title season for Neb and Iowa's 1-10 1999 team. Hmmm...

Let's make this simple...do you agree it better to bring in more 4*s than 3*s? Just in general. Is more 5.9 rated players better than 5.6 rated players in a class...again in general? Agreeing that coaches still have to turn that talent into production.

There, that seems more reasonable. I would say top 4-5 behind OSU, PSU and Michigan.
Until you prove that you’re at that level. But I get that a fan is going to overestimate.

This isn’t the MAC or the AAC. You’re not going to make a 20% climb just because Martinez played spring ball. Defenses will adjust accordingly.
Neb was already 2nd in ypg last season. Defenses do adjust...so do offenses. Neb wasn't running their full offense...they also didn't have a full compliment of players to run the offense. Remember, Riley ran a slow pro-style offense. That's a huge change for players not recruited to play in a fast paces spread offense. Neb will go faster, put more pressure on defenses, execute better due to more experience, and have a QB that will make better decisions with more comfort in the system. Frost has one of the best offensive minds in college football and he has a year of film on what B1G defenses tried to do to him last year.

PSU lost McSorely and their replacement transferred to Miss St., OSU lost Urbs and is breaking in an unproven QB that looked terrible in their spring game (although he could be reallllly good). I'd expect Mich to be about the same or maybe slightly better on offense based on what is coming back.

Barring major injury I still think finishing 1st, 2nd or maybe 3rd in total offense is very doable for Neb in 2019.

Squad? I'm one person over here trying to talk football, and nothing that you have said to me has ran a circle around me. I used some of the facts you gave me, offered a wager and then you went a different direction saying that we are going to chase points and you are going to grind it out. What's the difference from last year where you scored more? Why not bet on your team?
Are you really that stupid? You want to bet so bad...I’ll take the Hawkeye defense against your “Blackshirts” defense on lowest points allowed for the regular season. You name how much big shot!

Are you really that stupid? You want to bet so bad...I’ll take the Hawkeye defense against your “Blackshirts” defense on lowest points allowed for the regular season. You name how much big shot!

LinearParchedGull-small.gif

Reactions: FlickShagwell
A Nebraska fan implying 2011 was ages ago?
Awe...the ole "Neb fan living in the 90's reference". Wonder when Iowa fan will move on from that...Neb fans did a decade or so ago.

Context is everything. 2011 in regards to Frost's coaching career was a long time ago. We're talking about when he was an OC/HC and calling plays. 2011 he wasn't, so yes in that context it was a very long time ago and outside the scope of this discussion.

Copy n Paste seems like the appropriate response to another Iowa fan that apparently doesn't get off this board much.

That's about the response I expected.

If you can't see that Neb's offense will be high powered...I don't know what else to tell you...keep your head in the sand I guess...lol!
Head in the sand from a husker fan. That is rich real rich.

Iowa fans hate anything that isn't Iowa like...fun high scoring offense...boo...fast paced offense moving up and down the field...boo...quick passes to get the ball to play-makers in space...boo...mobile dynamic QB...boo!!!

Hey, I like good defense as much as anyone. I grew up watching the Blackshirts when they were dominate. Hell, Neb under Pelini had some salty af defenses. A team needs a balance. Neb defense sucked last year...true but also so what...it can get better. In fact, it would be hard not to get better. Will it be a top 20 or even 30 defense. Prob not. They'll give up pts merely based on the fact they'll have to defend way more plays than most teams, esp in the B1G. What matters to Neb defense is turnovers and negative plays. Plus they have to get better on 3rd down...terrible last year...if they're even average on 3rd/4th down they win 2-3 more games last season. If Neb can be good, not great, good in those categories they'll give the O more possessions which mean more pts. Score more pts than the other team...W.

Iowa fans hate anything that isn't Iowa like...fun high scoring offense...boo...fast paced offense moving up and down the field...boo...quick passes to get the ball to play-makers in space...boo...mobile dynamic QB...boo!!!

Hey, I like good defense as much as anyone. I grew up watching the Blackshirts when they were dominate. Hell, Neb under Pelini had some salty af defenses. A team needs a balance. Neb defense sucked last year...true but also so what...it can get better. In fact, it would be hard not to get better. Will it be a top 20 or even 30 defense. Prob not. They'll give up pts merely based on the fact they'll have to defend way more plays than most teams, esp in the B1G. What matters to Neb defense is turnovers and negative plays. Plus they have to get better on 3rd down...terrible last year...if they're even average on 3rd/4th down they win 2-3 more games last season. If Neb can be good, not great, good in those categories they'll give the O more possessions which mean more pts. Score more pts than the other team...W.

Well, for your reading pleasure I started a post a few days ago surmising why Iowa hasn’t recruited a more Brad Banks like QB. Why don’t you take a peek at that before assuming you know anything about what I “hate”.

The thing about Iowa’s system is that we can roll up time of possession, and control tempo, and break teams and roll them late.

You're still over here peddling your predictions as fact? It all sounds great until the rubber meets the road. You've got a map laid out in your mind about how magnificent your offense will be and how your defense will create turnovers. What happens if teams figure out a way to slow down your offense and your defense doesn't generate turnovers?

You haven't thought about that because you think everyone else is standing still while Nebraska is improving by leaps and bounds. What happens if Iowa walks out of Lincoln with a convincing win this year?

doesnt matter where they are in recruiting now,because end of the year they will be in the top 25 recruiting ranks and iowa will be where it always is .bottom feeding off the scraps and some where ranked in the 50's

It was his first year, you don't develope in one year, thus the time will tell. Was KF able to develope his talent in year one?
Nobody was saying he was a great coach, savior and putting Iowa in the national championship picture.

doesnt matter where they are in recruiting now,because end of the year they will be in the top 25 recruiting ranks and iowa will be where it always is .bottom feeding off the scraps and some where ranked in the 50's
Iowa's 2020 class is almost full yet they're bottom feeding? And again, those classes averaging in the 40's have no problem beating Nebraska lately.

Reactions: sltldowney
You're still over here peddling your predictions as fact? It all sounds great until the rubber meets the road. You've got a map laid out in your mind about how magnificent your offense will be and how your defense will create turnovers. What happens if teams figure out a way to slow down your offense and your defense doesn't generate turnovers?

You haven't thought about that because you think everyone else is standing still while Nebraska is improving by leaps and bounds. What happens if Iowa walks out of Lincoln with a convincing win this year?
Please point to where I specifically called an opinion of mine fact. I'm sharing my opinions/predictions on the future of Neb football based on logic, common sense, and Frost's prior results. I use that data to make educated guesses. I'm also factoring in college football experts opinions and they like Neb in 2019.

Could the offense be slowed down...could the defense (which I'm much less confident about) not get better...could anything happen? Of course. Neb could go 0-12 or maybe 12-0. What if what if what it...same can be said about Iowa. What if the TEs don't produce...what if the receivers don't step up...what if the DL depth or lack-there-of creates problems...what if injuries happen to key players...what if...

You really have no idea what I've thought about or not do you. Iowa could be better, sure. However, from the outside looking in I see they lost their 3 top pass catchers...two of which were difference makers. Do they replace two 1st round TE talents to match that production? I'd expect their receivers to pick up some of the slack, but how much? What about Hooker and a few top DL that were lost...are the replacements just as good or better...IDK...do you? I think it's safe to bet Iowa will be an 8 win team give or take a win. Schedule on paper looks tougher. Neb schedule looks easier...again on paper.

This notion that now B1G DC have film on Frost's offense so it will be stopped is funny. Maybe it happens...most likely not. There is plenty of film on Frost's offense. Iowa had 10 games of film on Martinez and he still played pretty well against them. Historically teams typically make large improvements from yr 1 to yr 2 in new systems. You don't think a full year learning a system would help and entire team? Imagine if Iowa brought in a new staff, new O and D systems, and had to run those with their current players...do you think it would take time to master that system? Maybe 8 months isn't long enough?

I get it with Iowa fans...I really do...you want to see it first...okay, I do as well. I'm confident you won't like what you see. And if Iowa blows out Neb in Lincoln, even though they couldn't do it last yr in IC, then good on them and it'll suck for Husker fans. What if Neb blows the doors off Iowa and Lincoln...I wonder if all this bluster Iowa fans have built up mostly during the Riley era calms down a bit? We'll see soon enough.

The Riley era was/is not the new Neb norm as may of you seem to think/wish. Are the 90's coming back...nope. But there is no reason Neb can't win 8-9-10-11 games per season and at least match something like what Wisc has done recently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT