ADVERTISEMENT

Portal Targets

Sep 3, 2009
I'm sure this has already been posted, but are there are portal targets that we know Iowa is going after? It is getting very late in the game and there has been absolutely no action on Iowa's part. Minnesota picked up some 4 star transfers from major P5 programs in the last few days. It's amazing that the portal has been open for a month and we have no commitments yet.

Assume Parker was on schollie. Are they still waiting on his decision?? His should be cut and dried as to his options now.

There is a good news bad news story that has developed since the bowl game impacting portal options with respect to available scholarships. The good news is that several defensive standouts have decided to return. The defense should once again be outstanding as a result. Lachey returning is a plus for the offense. The rest of the offense returning is not. They need some players to exit.

unless there is some medical news, there will be no news with regards to the transfer portal not opening up again until spring.

Reactions: ichawk24
Yep, won't be active portal players 'maybe' until after spring ball when traditionally we see a few kids look for other opportunities. I can see this happening at both RB and LB. Would be nice to grab both a quality OT and WR in the spring portal period.

Yep, won't be active portal players 'maybe' until after spring ball when traditionally we see a few kids look for other opportunities. I can see this happening at both RB and LB. Would be nice to grab both a quality OT and WR in the spring portal period.
Going to have to be more than a few leave as Iowa is at 89 now and Schulte and All still yet to decide! Ive heard of a few medical Retires that will be announced soon but we are still 4 over w/o those 2 announcements. Ive also seen that Fischer wants to come back so that would be another 1. Good problem to have!

Reactions: AlvySinger and Torg
Going to have to be more than a few leave as Iowa is at 89 now and Schulte and All still yet to decide! Ive heard of a few medical Retires that will be announced soon but we are still 4 over w/o those 2 announcements. Ive also seen that Fischer wants to come back so that would be another 1. Good problem to have!
All has already decided that he's not coming back. Fisher has not been asked back.

Bring in 4-5 offensive linemen please!

fat guy GIF

Reactions: cleotishaywood
Good problem for Phil and the defense, not so much for the growth of the offense....... :oops:

I'm sure this has already been posted, but are there are portal targets that we know Iowa is going after? It is getting very late in the game and there has been absolutely no action on Iowa's part. Minnesota picked up some 4 star transfers from major P5 programs in the last few days. It's amazing that the portal has been open for a month and we have no commitments yet.
Minny had a boat load of players leave so yeah they have a lot of free rides to hand out

There is a good news bad news story that has developed since the bowl game impacting portal options with respect to available scholarships. The good news is that several defensive standouts have decided to return. The defense should once again be outstanding as a result. Lachey returning is a plus for the offense. The rest of the offense returning is not. They need some players to exit.
Luckily one WR ran out of eligibility and another left the program…excited about Brown, but a nice portal pickup would be welcome …oh yeah - replace the entire OL…😉

Reactions: shudaddy
Luckily one WR ran out of eligibility and another left the program…excited about Brown, but a nice portal pickup would be welcome …oh yeah - replace the entire OL…😉
I would think the incoming OC will start to weed out who isn't cut out for his offense (or at least hope the new OC has the latitude to do so). If KF truly cares about the program and "wins on game day" then he hopefully has had a come-to-jesus meeting with the guy in the mirror.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I would think the incoming OC will start to weed out who isn't cut out for his offense (or at least hope the new OC has the latitude to do so). If KF truly cares about the program and "wins on game day" then he hopefully has had a come-to-jesus meeting with the guy in the mirror.

When's the last time we got rid of a kid due to lack of talent?

Doesn't happen at Iowa.

It's a business, KF needs to cut the waste and go after better talent (especially at the OL positions). May sound harsh, but that is what NCAA D1 football is now, a business. Congrats to NIL et al for ruining "amateur" athletics.
He is, 4-5 star QB was here last week.

When's the last time we got rid of a kid due to lack of talent?

Doesn't happen at Iowa.
"Got rid of" is probably too harsh of a description. But of the many players that have left over the last several years, I imagine a fair number of them were encouraged to leave. And by "encourage", I mean an honest discussion with a player letting them know that their opportunity to play would be very limited.

Maybe a couple offensive players need to asked if they would like to move on to greener pastures, but it might be tough for them because their feet are firmly planted in the turf.

Maybe a couple offensive players need to asked if they would like to move on to greener pastures, but it might be tough for them because their feet are firmly planted in the turf.
This is their greener pasture. They would have great difficulties starting at a large number of power 5 schools.

Seems to me we need some defensive tackles. Black and Graves are great but then what?

Seems to me we need some defensive tackles. Black and Graves are great but then what?
I felt the same way but then someone pointed out that Caden Crawford is now DT-sized, so at least there is a bit more there now at least in terms of numbers.

If I had to guess, I would say that part of the reason for Thompson moving on was the emergence of a player or two among the group of Crawford, Brackney and Borcherding-Johnson.

I felt the same way but then someone pointed out that Caden Crawford is now DT-sized, so at least there is a bit more there now at least in terms of numbers.

If I had to guess, I would say that part of the reason for Thompson moving on was the emergence of a player or two among the group of Crawford, Brackney and Borcherding-Johnson.
Yeah Brackney according to this site was at 285 on singing day last year, I imagine a pound or two has been added since

Forgot Pittman

Well can we get enough NIL to get either of Mich's DTackles to transfer. I thought Graham was really good, high motor. But the other tackle who is 340 lbs and runs like a Lbkr was awesome in the Champ game.

We have had a great Def Line most seasons and I think it will be very good again but having 2 really good backups at tackle will be big.

Jeremiah Pittman is a good prospect with two more years of eligibility left. He did get some playing time this past season. Then we have Crawford, Brackney and Borcherding-Johnson in the classes behind him. We are in good shape at DT.

Forgot Pittman
I didn’t include him because my intention was just to list freshman DT’s who might have passed up Thompson during the season. Pittman was clearly already ahead of Thompson on the depth chart.

I read the comment from one of the writers at this site that redshirt freshman walk-on Luke Gaffney from Linn-Mar has been impressive in practice, so he could be another guy whose progress helped send Thompson packing.

I'd be really surprised if a LB and/or a RB didn't move on after spring ball, seems to be a logjam (good thing) at both positions but snaps are def limited, especially with only 2-3 RB's getting carries (at most) and with a 4-2-5 on D that 3rd LB rarely sees the field.

I cannot imagine he is coming to Iowa given that we have no open ships, but someone is going to get a good one. Kid has a frame on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT