ADVERTISEMENT

New Iowa OC's

Question #1 is: does Phil want to be head coach?

To get Grubb or other big names, you have to offer assoc head coach (Kirks successor) but that doesn’t work if it upsets Phil.

You can’t spell IOWA without AI.

Kirk goes big and is the first coach ever to let an AI program call the plays.

Then we save $500K-$2M or whatever in salary/yr for an OC.

Of course, Kirk has to buy the OC AI program from somewhere and that will cost $500K-$2M/yr and that software company is probably where Brian will end up working for.
I have a feeling I know how it might respond when it sees Hills production.

UWtu27c.png

Everyone take a minute. KF will be making the new hire. It’s unlikely regardless that Iowa football will run an Air Raid or spread type offense.

Which is fine. Just hire someone competent who is creative enough to put pressure on opposing Ds and whose run a successful offense that produces points.

Since we know we can't get a big name in as OC, how about we get the HC at CR Xavier who has won 3 titles in last 6 years??? I hear he would be pretty cheap to get! (sarcasm!)

Just my opinion...but this ^^ would not surprise me. If it is Kirk's call, and I assume it has to be, right? KOK would be a "safe" choice.

Also, I don't think any "young gun" is going to come in and work for a 68 year old coach unless they are given the inside rail to becoming the HC in the somewhat near future. If a deal like that is made, then you risk losing the long term commitment of the younger, potential HC's on the current Iowa staff. KOK would definitely be a "placeholder" type of hire.

Again...just my uninformed opinion.

Reactions: jo12208
The bigger question is... who'd want it at this point? It's career suicide because it's Kirk's offense that will be run, nothing will change and the new OC's hands are tied.
An aging coach on his way out and the likelihood the head coaching job comes available shortly....

Taking the helm of an offense that is SO BAD that you can literally improve it just by walking in the door and not be named Brian Ferentz.

A school and coach that are loyal to a fault that doesn't even demand results as long as you 'do it the right way.'

The chance to simply get a coordinator job at a P5 school. That alone doesn't grow on trees. It's far from a career suicide job.

And the offense doesn't blow goats because of Kirk Ferentz wanting it to be that way. He hired a worthless OC to keep the seat warm for his completely incompetent son. He's certainly leveraged the team for his son's career, but he isn't deliberately orchestrating a shitty offense. His poor hires did that on their own. No one loved Ken Okeefe but in reality he did just fine. Then he came back to mentor Biff Ferentz, and the offense truly hit rock bottom since he retired and left Tommy Boy to fend for himself.

Because that’s a totally different level of football.

I would prefer to get an OC or head coach from a G5 team.

A big ten OC makes more than a lot/most of them.

RPO/SPREAD is modern football and that doesn't mesh with the Kirk philosophy of ground & pound & ball control. Besides that it's too damned sexy!
IT can be a run heavy type of offense still though, NDSU has run the power A gap for some time and just implemented a RPO with it. Wiscy is trying to do the same thing, it will take a year or two to get it going. Iowa could do it, and with our D, we would be pretty damn salty.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
I’m sorry but no, we shouldn’t hire an OC from FCS…
Disagree. That’s the best place for a program like Iowa. You’re not going to get a good lateral transfer OC. KOK was division II? and did a great job for his first 10 years.

I thought he resigned at the end of the season, but this from the University of Iowa says immediately.

Edit: Looks to be fake account.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
IT can be a run heavy type of offense still though, NDSU has run the power A gap for some time and just implemented a RPO with it. Wiscy is trying to do the same thing, it will take a year or two to get it going. Iowa could do it, and with our D, we would be pretty damn salty.
Matt Mumme at CSU if Kirk dropped an elephants dose of E and wanted to go air raid and hire a Guy who actually develops QBs

The bigger question is... who'd want it at this point? It's career suicide because it's Kirk's offense that will be run, nothing will change and the new OC's hands are tied.
The correct counter to this statement is opportunity. Who wouldn’t want the challenge to turn it around and make a name for yourself in the process. You know all eyes, nationally, will be on this person’s performance next season. High risk = high reward.

More simply put, if you can revitalize the Iowa Offense you can pretty much do anything in football.

Last edited:
The correct counter to this statement is opportunity. Who wouldn’t want the challenge to turn it around and make a name for yourself in the process. You know all eyes, nationally, will be on this person’s performance next season. High risk = high reward.

More simply point, if you can revitalize the Iowa Offense you can pretty much do anything in football.
Cubs won the World Series after over a Century drought , anything is possible

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT