ADVERTISEMENT

New OC Hire/Kirk Ferentz

Oh right….and he has also stated, I have a lot to do with the offense?

I am one day looking forward to Phil Parker retiring and saying out loud what he thinks of Iowa fans who bitched about his friend and boss all the time…

He strikes me as the kind of guy who would say it how it is…
Look I'm not picking a fight I believe he has stated that. But even if he didnt PP turned the 4-3 that never blitzed into a 4-2-5 that blitzes a lot more and on occasion used that Raider package. What has changed about the scheme or look of the offense in 24 years?

Regarding KF, the older he's gotten the more conservative he's gotten, with the exception of a few of the 2.0, 3.0 short term changes after rough patches. Unfortunately even after those 2.0 3.0 resets he's tended to more quickly revert back to the conservative keep it close and hope we can pull it out late with the help of the defense or special teams mentality.
I'd expect whoever the next OC is will feel like the last 3.0 reset for a year or so, then we'll methodically revert back to what we are now...
It's KFs team, it's KFs offense, nothing or no one is going to change that fact.

Look I'm not picking a fight I believe he has stated that. But even if he didnt PP turned the 4-3 that never blitzed into a 4-2-5 that blitzes a lot more and on occasion used that Raider package. What has changed about the scheme or look of the offense in 24 years?

I’ll wager u 500 dollars that we will never be able to prove, KF was very much involved in all of that.

I also say, our offense sucks because our players suck…harsh u know

Reactions: ButtersHawk
Kirk’s coordinators run things Kirk’s way. Phil Parker’s defenses are very similar to Norm Parker’s from BITD. It’s Kirk’s system.
Don’t tell the haters, even though they say that exact thing about “KFs systems”, then in same breath say it is all PPs doing. lol, fools I tell ya

How many different OC's has Bill had? Great QB play, offensive creation and actually won championships with offense. Now he's taken a huge step back since he took over control of the roster but KF does not follow what Bill does or has done other than total control.
Bill had Tom Brady. Period. Has sucked ever since.

Only one job posted on AD site for Director of Soccer Operations, so OC job not officially posted yet.

But Kirk is "hands off" when it comes to the defense. Not with the offense. That's the difference.
This is why Iowa's offense continues to run every play from the I formation with the QB under center, using a FB, and varying only between one- and two-TE sets. For the last 24 years Kirk has refused to let his OCs put the QBs in the shotgun, or run a play without a FB, or put a man in motion, or use trip wide receivers to one side, let alone (God forbid!) run a play from an empty set!

Oh wait! They did those things a bunch of times! I forgot that its the OC's fault when the wide receivers and tight ends drop passes, or the QB throws the pass three feet behind the receiver.

I'm not defending Brian, but his offense wasn't being limited by Kirk. It was being limited by poor execution, and maybe some predictable play calling. When we have had a good enough QB and some good WRs, as we did during the Nate Stanley years, our offense could put up a lot of points, as it did against Ohio State and Southern Cal, or at least enough points, like against Mississippi State's very tough defense.

I don't see the problem being Kirk micromanaging the offense; I see it being Kirk wanting an OC who he is absolutely certain will fit in to the family, because he already knows him well. Sadly, Kirk hasn't worked with that many other coaches, because Iowa hasn't had much turnover, who could and would be good candidates for the job. So the pool he will choose from is likely very small.

I see 25 yrs of very consistently putting the same stuff out there on the field, very stable

always 7 or 8 wins, always go to a bowl, always stay with same system, always stay with QB

not more less conservative, it is what it is. the stats prove it

Craig Bohl is retiring as Wyoming's head coach following the Tuscon Bowl.

Tim Polasek is his offensive coordinator. With his history with Iowa and doing a decent job at Wyoming, it seems like this could be the kind of direction KF would go for OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT