ADVERTISEMENT

New week, same old BS

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
After staying away for a week, I decided to come back to see if the vitriol on this board had subsided. With the Brian Ferentz announcement, I figured there would be jubilation and dancing in the streets, but no, the whiners are still finding something to bitch about.

There are some calling for Kirk's retirement, which I do not think will happen. Interesting that many of those hoping that he will retire, are known trolls to this board. If I was a clone, cornholer or goofer fan I would want him gone also. After all, Kirk has owned you over the past 10 years.

I commend Beth on making the call earlier than later. A proactive move to get a jump on Brian's replacement for 2024. It puts the wheels in motion for Iowa's hiring timeline. Brian needed to go for sure. Fingers crossed, Kirk makes the right move. It is his hire! It will be interedting to see if any of the offensive coaches are shown the door.

I'm not sure Hill is the answer but the fact that he is still #1 says something about our QB room. FWIW, Labas didn't set the world on fire against Kentucky.

On to Northwestern, Hawks better bring their "A" game.

After staying away for a week, I decided to come back to see if the vitriol on this board had subsided. With the Brian Ferentz announcement, I figured there would be jubilation and dancing in the streets, but no, the whiners are still finding something to bitch about.

There are some calling for Kirk's retirement, which I do not think will happen. Interesting that many of those hoping that he will retire, are known trolls to this board. If I was a clone, cornholer or goofer fan I would want him gone also. After all, Kirk has owned you over the past 10 years.

I commend Beth on making the call earlier than later. A proactive move to get a jump on Brian's replacement for 2024. It puts the wheels in motion for Iowa's hiring timeline. Brian needed to go for sure. Fingers crossed, Kirk makes the right move. It is his hire! It will be interedting to see if any of the offensive coaches are shown the door.

I'm not sure Hill is the answer but the fact that he is still #1 says something about our QB room. FWIW, Labas didn't set the world on fire against Kentucky.

I'm afraid that the whining has just begun. Whining is the new critiquing. I hope Kirk and Phil leave after this season. The whiners will then have lots to critique about in the upcoming years. I do agree that Brian needed to leave but I don't see how Kirk stays on under the circumstances. This place has become a vitrious cesspool.

That "6-2" is a terrible 6-2. Kirk has "coached" the team into the butt of the media's daily jokes....which will have long lasting affects. Kirk has "coached" the team into being in a position where, once he lost his overrated starting QB, he is left with a roster of back-up QBs that are completely non-serviceable. Coached us to a group of WRs that truly stink up the field every week. Then there's the "coaching" of that miserable O line....yippy!

I'd say Kirk needs to consider retiring after the conclusion of this season. The game has passed him....he settles for just barely "good enough"...and he seems to lack the energy needed to serve as the head coach of a highly competitive college football program. I appreciate all he's done....and it's been a lot. It's time to go before he further damages his legacy.

I'm afraid that the whining has just begun. Whining is the new critiquing. I hope Kirk and Phil leave after this season. The whiners will then have lots to critique about in the upcoming years. I do agree that Brian needed to leave but I don't see how Kirk stays on under the circumstances. This place has become a vitrious cesspool.
I haven't seen a single post suggesting anyone wants Phil Parker to leave. I think it's fair that people wanted Brian gone...and they are ready for Kirk to retire. This program is in terrible condition all around....and that falls on Kirk.

I bet your reply will be....."but, but, but....we are 6-2!"

Brian is still the OC so right now no one is expecting an "A" game offense to suddenly appear. I hope the light goes on for the offense so they can get even 17 points, move the ball and eat clock.

And if Kirk stays he probably not want or hire a wide open OC who wants to sling the ball around.

If they are able, I hope the offense rallies around the now sacked Brian. Maybe they'll think we got to pull us up by the bootstraps and do it for him, and come out blazing. That's my optimistic side.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I don’t see how you fire a coach and allow him to continue when you are in the midst of a title run. He should have been replaced. Do you really think he will be a better coach as a lame duck?? He will continue to be a distraction— this will be one of the stories for every remaining game. How do the players deal with this. I think the AD made a mistake. Hope I am wrong

Maybe we can tell the team we are going to Wriggly Field to practice on Saturday! Then DH will have a 65% completion rate and the offense will look "improved". With 2 weeks to prepare for Northwestern we should at least have our first 2 drives scripted. That should get us a field goal, then it will be up to the defense to score the rest of our points.

Reactions: mvhomerl
I don’t see how you fire a coach and allow him to continue when you are in the midst of a title run. He should have been replaced. Do you really think he will be a better coach as a lame duck?? He will continue to be a distraction— this will be one of the stories for every remaining game. How do the players deal with this. I think the AD made a mistake. Hope I am wrong
What I've been thinking since it was announced. In no other program does someone get fired, but can continue on till the end of the season. Chicken sh!t move.

Reactions: DewHawk
I also think this was poorly handled. We all know this has been a distraction, the poor offense, the contract, etc. Think about it though. Let's say this Saturday against NW the offense sucks. Guess what, still major distraction but a new narrative about him being a lame duck. But let's say they come out and score 40 and have 450 yards of offense. Again, major distraction and now the AD is involved with it. This goes for every game from here on out and now Goetz is tied to Brian at the hip. She sure as hell is not hoping the offense improves, but having the offense be historically bad makes her look bad too. If she had left it alone and let the season play out this vould have been handled then and there would be no risk.

As far as recruiting goes, what did that change? Nothing. Nobody is suddenly going to come here because BF is gone because they don't know who the replacement is. Donors? Sit down with them and explain exactly this. Tell them that BF is gone at the end of the season so chill out for 4 games.

There were 2 ways to handle this. Either let it play out and let him resign at the end of the season or fire him now and have his permanent replacement in hand. This was a knee-jerk reaction that solved nothing.

I appreciate all that Kirk has done. I have enjoyed seeing plenty of success and bowl trips to warm weather places to escape the hell of Iowa in the winter. I'm truly grateful.

I am however Ferentz fatigued out. I want to have a fun, aggressive team to watch. I want a coach who at the horseshoe and a chance to win won't take a knee. I want a coach who twice on 4th and inches against Minnesota doesn't punt both times with a mountain of a QB that could sneak it.

With who? Copeland? Betts? Barnett? Hodge?

Certainly not convinced Budmyr is the answer.

I think Betts and Hodge are two very good young hires, not ready yet. Barnett seems to have the line heading in the right direction but jury is still out on him. I'm questioning if Copeland is the right WR coach.

No, finish the season then get in the right guy to lead the offense.

Kirk needs to stay. If he leaves now it will appear he was only still coaching to set his son up with a job.

I haven't seen a single post suggesting anyone wants Phil Parker to leave. I think it's fair that people wanted Brian gone...and they are ready for Kirk to retire. This program is in terrible condition all around....and that falls on Kirk.

I bet your reply will be....."but, but, but....we are 6-2!"

Phils not staying. Lot's of losing for you folks to grind on coming up.

I also think this was poorly handled. We all know this has been a distraction, the poor offense, the contract, etc. Think about it though. Let's say this Saturday against NW the offense sucks. Guess what, still major distraction but a new narrative about him being a lame duck. But let's say they come out and score 40 and have 450 yards of offense. Again, major distraction and now the AD is involved with it. This goes for every game from here on out and now Goetz is tied to Brian at the hip. She sure as hell is not hoping the offense improves, but having the offense be historically bad makes her look bad too. If she had left it alone and let the season play out this vould have been handled then and there would be no risk.

As far as recruiting goes, what did that change? Nothing. Nobody is suddenly going to come here because BF is gone because they don't know who the replacement is. Donors? Sit down with them and explain exactly this. Tell them that BF is gone at the end of the season so chill out for 4 games.

There were 2 ways to handle this. Either let it play out and let him resign at the end of the season or fire him now and have his permanent replacement in hand. This was a knee-jerk reaction that solved nothing.
Lame duck seems to be Iowa.
Tom Davis comes to mind.

Reactions: mvhomerl
I have greatly appreciated what KF has done for the program. But I have to say that for the program it would be best if he hung it up (asked for a buyout). If he stays, who hires the OC? He does. Will he go out and get a high profile hire? Probably not. Will he get someone that will align with his philosophy? Probably so. If this happens and he is around for a few more years in the new Big 10, this has the potential to get much worse...fast.

Letting BF go now(meaning announcing this is it for him) makes sense to me from a standpoint of sending a message to HS recruits and current players and future NIL recruits. As opposed to waiting until late December to announce anything. Having him fired now and NOT being there for the balance of the season only means you shove someone short term into the position from the staff that will just be another yes man to KF.

With who? Copeland? Betts? Barnett? Hodge?

Certainly not convinced Budmyr is the answer.

I think Betts and Hodge are two very good young hires, not ready yet. Barnett seems to have the line heading in the right direction but jury is still out on him. I'm questioning if Copeland is the right WR coach.

No, finish the season then get in the right guy to lead the offense.
You bring in an interim. There have been many examples of this. Give me an example where an assistant coach has been fired with a third of the season remaining and allowed to stay.

Says

Says the whiner who came back to the board to whine and bitch? Seriously, if folks would have been dancing in the streets and parting you would have whined and bitched about that too.

Pot\Kettle.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
I hope Iowa loses so you are proven correct, that is what is important

It was far from knee-jerk and it solved a lot actually, you just don't like it

The amount of yards in the game this week has no bearing to this at all

but having the offense be historically bad makes her look bad too.
Huh?

Beth was pretty much backed into a corner.

The offense was not going to get any better, and to let it continue to get worse and not do anything makes the AD look weak, and like the University doesn't care.

Something HAD to be done. Perhaps Beth wanted to fire Brian outright, but after meeting with Kirk they worked it out so that he technically wasn't fired, just that his employment will end after the season (same thing, I know). There may be other factors that come into play that were discussed/worked out between Beth and Kirk.

For all we know Kirk may have said he will retire after the season, but wants Brian to finish out the year so they can go out together.

Beth had to do something, and I think she handled it well.

giphy.gif

Reactions: littlez
Beth was pretty much backed into a corner.

The offense was not going to get any better, and to let it continue to get worse and not do anything makes the AD look weak, and like the University doesn't care.

Something HAD to be done. Perhaps Beth wanted to fire Brian outright, but after meeting with Kirk they worked it out so that he technically wasn't fired, just that his employment will end after the season (same thing, I know). There may be other factors that come into play that were discussed/worked out between Beth and Kirk.

For all we know Kirk may have said he will retire after the season, but wants Brian to finish out the year so they can go out together.

Beth had to do something, and I think she handled it well.
Yep, guessing there was push back from Kirk when told Brian was not going to return. This isn't something that the AD just decided to do.

Unfortunately, she does not have the power to do the right thing. As a new, interim AD this was probably the best she could do. Kirk Ferentz, a successful 25 year head coach would not allow the humiliation of the immediate firing of his son. He has more clout than she has.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT