ADVERTISEMENT

New week, same old BS

It was far from knee-jerk and it solved a lot actually, you just don't like it

The amount of yards in the game this week has no bearing to this at all

Huh?
I guess I don't see exactly what it solved as it relates to the present. BF is still the OC and there is no replacement. My reference to the historically bad offense is that if this offense remains a shit show for the next 4 games, the heat is on her that she should have just fired him and not let him coach it out. But if this offense miraculously turns around it will put heat on her that maybe it was premature.

Especially as the interim AD, if she was not going to fire him right now I think she should have just let it play out atleast through the end of the regular season then handled it then.

Who has "hated" Kirk? I haven't seen anyone say they hate him, they may hate his offensive philosophy and stubbornness, but not him as a person.
Don't waste your breath. Pistachio doesn't listen nor does he pay attention. You responding will only lead to him misconstruing anything you say into his own narrative so he can use it against you in return. He's blissfully unaware and prefers it this way. He's also mad as hell at all those ungrateful "other" fans and he's not going to take it anymore!

I guess I don't see exactly what it solved as it relates to the present. BF is still the OC and there is no replacement. My reference to the historically bad offense is that if this offense remains a shit show for the next 4 games, the heat is on her that she should have just fired him and not let him coach it out. But if this offense miraculously turns around it will put heat on her that maybe it was premature.

Especially as the interim AD, if she was not going to fire him right now I think she should have just let it play out atleast through the end of the regular season then handled it then.
Is it not still possible that this information wasn't intended to be made public and someone leaked it? If a decision was already made, giving the 2 of them the time and opportunity to make decisions makes sense. It also meant that if Kirk's decision was to step down as well, that it would have given the administration more time to identify a successor prior to bowl season.

In short, I understand why Brian and Kirk were informed. I don't see a lot of benefit in the announcement.

Reactions: bumper52
Beth was pretty much backed into a corner.

The offense was not going to get any better, and to let it continue to get worse and not do anything makes the AD look weak, and like the University doesn't care.

Something HAD to be done. Perhaps Beth wanted to fire Brian outright, but after meeting with Kirk they worked it out so that he technically wasn't fired, just that his employment will end after the season (same thing, I know). There may be other factors that come into play that were discussed/worked out between Beth and Kirk.

For all we know Kirk may have said he will retire after the season, but wants Brian to finish out the year so they can go out together.

Beth had to do something, and I think she handled it well.
I don't think anyone would have faulted her as an interim AD to let it ride for the next 3 or 4 weeks and then handle it then. She inherited all of this and none of this was her creation. So I don't think she had to do something about it right now. The fans can't really back her in the corner in any way. They can get mad, send her awful emails, be a total distraction, but really nothing is going to be any different over the next few games. If donors are backing her in a corner, all she had to say is that she is going to let him go at the end of the season. Chill out. With no replacement OC and now the head coach in question, recruiting is shot anyway. This did nothing to minimize the distraction, it added a lot more to it.

I think BF needed to go. I just think there were 2 choices to be made. Fire him now and replace him immediately, even under an interim basis, and pacify the fans and donors and recruits that change has been made in an effort to get better. Or, let it ride and play it out and fire him or force him to resign or whatever you have to do to get him gone. But this option of keeping everything in limbo makes little sense because she is conceding this season.

Ridiculous. Knee jerk reaction? This is years in the making. And gotten worse to the point where we finally hit rock bottom. You think we’re going to go out and score 40 and get 450 yards as you say? Sure thing. Deacon gone wild. And Kirk also doesn’t get the chance to hire freaking Buda boy as his coordinator. That’s off the table. Get a real coordinator, a real QB coach or you’re gone as well. It’s that simple. She’s already proven she’s not messing around.
I am not faulting the decision. I am faulting the decision because this is the wrong decision right now. Either fire him now or let him ride it out. If she fired him now she gets across the point she is not messing around. Buda gets promoted to interim, the offense probably still continues to suck and then in the off-season they go out and find a real OC. That is ideal right? If she let it play out, the offense probably still would suck, BF resigns and they go out and find a real OC, although, that may be contentious because Buda is tied to Cade and Deacon. Because Buda had not failed here yet he may get a shot. Nobody wants that.

This limbo decision did not need to be made now. That is all I am saying.

Reactions: littlez
The genious of Kirk will be appreciated in hind sight. BTW, most of the assistant coach's will be gone too.
unimpressed michael keaton GIF

Is it not still possible that this information wasn't intended to be made public and someone leaked it? If a decision was already made, giving the 2 of them the time and opportunity to make decisions makes sense. It also meant that if Kirk's decision was to step down as well, that it would have given the administration more time to identify a successor prior to bowl season.

In short, I understand why Brian and Kirk were informed. I don't see a lot of benefit in the announcement.
You could very well be right and that does make the most sense that it was leaked or going to be leaked.

Doing it now just adds a whole lot more distraction especially with KF. Talk about recruiting, if you were a recruit and committed to Iowa and you hear this, don't you think you have questions? Especially the offensive recruits who committed while BF was the OC? With no new OC to go in and have a chance to clean that up, re-sell the program and sell themselves, this seems like a killer to this year's and next year's classes.

Dochterman stated that it would be impossible to keep it quiet, which it was. Guessing they didn't want to announce it, but, had no choice. Probably some push back from Kirk led to this as well

Hawkinarkansas posted this yesterday:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span."

To those who still support Brian, and posters like yrunvs who admit Kirk is his idol.....how are those numbers even remotely acceptable? Please explain!

I like Kirk. I really do. The offense being bad is not what frustrates me: the fact that Kirk makes NO ATTEMPT to change anything offensively to try and improve is what I can't understand. The offense seems to keep getting worse each game. Yet nothing changes.

Kirk supposedly puts a premium on not making mistakes. But he continues to play a QB who does nothing but make mistakes. I'm sure Hill is a good kid, but he is a terrible QB. He has no touch, not very accurate, not mobile, makes poor reads, and turns the ball over too much. It's not his fault he isn't good. Yet Kirk won't even TRY Labas. Won't even give the kid a chance. No, he didn't light it up in the bowl game, but he still performed 100% better than Hill has.

There is no reason to not give Labas a shot. He can't be any worse than Hill. At the very least, he has mobility.

You could very well be right and that does make the most sense that it was leaked or going to be leaked.

Doing it now just adds a whole lot more distraction especially with KF. Talk about recruiting, if you were a recruit and committed to Iowa and you hear this, don't you think you have questions? Especially the offensive recruits who committed while BF was the OC? With no new OC to go in and have a chance to clean that up, re-sell the program and sell themselves, this seems like a killer to this year's and next year's classes.
Having the worst offense in CFB likely had an impact on recruiting and transfer portal as well. Either way, Kirk put them into this position. New OC or a coaching staff that has very bad results?
A new OC might be able to get recruits that the current staff couldn't. The fear of doing something is not going to make things go away

That "6-2" is a terrible 6-2. Kirk has "coached" the team into the butt of the media's daily jokes....which will have long lasting affects. Kirk has "coached" the team into being in a position where, once he lost his overrated starting QB, he is left with a roster of back-up QBs that are completely non-serviceable. Coached us to a group of WRs that truly stink up the field every week. Then there's the "coaching" of that miserable O line....yippy!

I'd say Kirk needs to consider retiring after the conclusion of this season. The game has passed him....he settles for just barely "good enough"...and he seems to lack the energy needed to serve as the head coach of a highly competitive college football program. I appreciate all he's done....and it's been a lot. It's time to go before he further damages his legacy.
The West may not be strong but look at the Big 12 who added 4 group of 5 schools to their conference this year who are currently 3-17 in conference play. Additionally the Big 12 had a historically bad non-conference year against group of 5 teams. Iowa St lost to Ohio 7-10, Baylor lost to Texas St 31-42. Oklahoma St lost to South Alabama 7-33, Texas Tech lost to Wyoming 33-35, Cincinnati lost to Miami OH 24-31, and Houston lost to Rice 41-43. If you want to talk about weak schedules look no farther than the Big 12. Then go to the ACC.

I don't think anyone would have faulted her as an interim AD to let it ride for the next 3 or 4 weeks and then handle it then. She inherited all of this and none of this was her creation. So I don't think she had to do something about it right now. The fans can't really back her in the corner in any way. They can get mad, send her awful emails, be a total distraction, but really nothing is going to be any different over the next few games. If donors are backing her in a corner, all she had to say is that she is going to let him go at the end of the season. Chill out. With no replacement OC and now the head coach in question, recruiting is shot anyway. This did nothing to minimize the distraction, it added a lot more to it.

I think BF needed to go. I just think there were 2 choices to be made. Fire him now and replace him immediately, even under an interim basis, and pacify the fans and donors and recruits that change has been made in an effort to get better. Or, let it ride and play it out and fire him or force him to resign or whatever you have to do to get him gone. But this option of keeping everything in limbo makes little sense because she is conceding this season.
Yes, the fans CAN back her into a corner. Something had to be done. She couldn't just sit there and do nothing.

I agree Brian should have been fired outright. And how do you know that isn't what she was going to do? Apparently Kirk was PO'd.....maybe he told Beth if Brian is fired immediately, then he would resign immediately. I would not be surprised if a compromise wasn't reached allowing Brian to finish the season.

Because the guy can still coach. If we were 2-6 it might be different, but we are 6-2.
He's also the guy who has horrible clock management, too loyal to his coaches and not firing them when needed and he can't choose the correct QB in several situations. He's put Iowa in a bad spot hanging onto Brian. What did I miss? He's been great but he has many faults.

Yes, the fans CAN back her into a corner. Something had to be done. She couldn't just sit there and do nothing.

I agree Brian should have been fired outright. And how do you know that isn't what she was going to do? Apparently Kirk was PO'd.....maybe he told Beth if Brian is fired immediately, then he would resign immediately. I would not be surprised if a compromise wasn't reached allowing Brian to finish the season.
Also makes sense.

Every recruit was already hearing this from everyone other than Iowa. Think about it this way. They knew they were either considering going to play for the least successful OC in the country, or they were wondering who they were going to be play for when this guy gets fired.

I don't understand how fans can back her in the corner. They can complain and bitch and whine and moan all they want, but they can't influence her job, especially right now. The only voice the fans have is whether they spend money and and buy tickets or not. If she is concerned about that, about the last 2 home games that are already sold out, it was a knee-jerk reaction.

I agree she had to do something, just not right now. Nobody knows what happened, but you are probably right that it was some sort of compromise and then what Jonesy said that it got leaked would make sense. Without a leak though I just don't see how this does any good to announce this now.

Reactions: bumper52
I don't understand how fans can back her in the corner. They can complain and bitch and whine and moan all they want, but they can't influence her job, especially right now. The only voice the fans have is whether they spend money and and buy tickets or not. If she is concerned about that, about the last 2 home games that are already sold out, it was a knee-jerk reaction.

I agree she had to do something, just not right now. Nobody knows what happened, but you are probably right that it was some sort of compromise and then what Jonesy said that it got leaked would make sense. Without a leak though I just don't see how this does any good to announce this now.
It has nothing to do with the fans. If this was planned and not done to get ahead of a leak, IMO, it was to curb the snowball of negative national media attention Iowa was accumulating.

Every recruit was already hearing this from everyone other than Iowa. Think about it this way. They knew they were either considering going to play for the least successful OC in the country, or they were wondering who they were going to be play for when this guy gets fired.
Realistically every recruit knows that this is a fickle business and there is always a chance, a pretty good one, that the head coach or your coordinator will not be there when you graduate. And I am sure that recruiters from other teams are telling these recruits all these negative things; worst offense in the country, KF won't be there, BF won't be there, etc.

But on the flip side, everyone is still out recruiting, and that includes KF and BF. And I am sure they get asked that question, are you going to be here? What do they say, nah, I don't think so, I have enough money and am going to sail off in a year or two? Or, nah, I am the OC of the worst offense in the history of football and I am sure I will be fired sometime here soon? No, they answer those questions by saying they intend to keep building the program, they bleed black and gold and that they, the recruit, is going to make the difference. That is the key. Call it confidence or arrogance, but anyone that is a competitor would think they can be the guy to change the narrative.

Now that is different. BF isn't going to be here and worse, none of the offensive recruits know who the new guy is. We are what, about 6 or 7 weeks from signing day and there is only about a month from the end of the regular season to signing day and even less than that if, and there is a very real possibility, that this team makes it to the B1G championship game. Is the replacement going to be known then? You would have to think there would have to be something know around that time. Holy shit, what would happen if we made the B1G and actually managed to win it? Stranger things have happened. What an unfortunate scenario.

It has nothing to do with the fans. If this was planned and not done to get ahead of a leak, IMO, it was to curb the snowball of negative national media attention Iowa was accumulating.
It was already there. If anything, what has curbed the negative attention was the loss to Minnesota. Nobody gives two shits about a shitty offense on a 4-4 team. The only reason it was a national storyline is because it was a shitty offense with a team that could possibly make the CFP, especially knowing that Iowa was going to be favored in every game before the B1G and it made it a 1 game season. That is out the window now with the second loss and not being in the rankings so it would have quieted down a lot. If this team loses one more game there is no storyline anymore, this team could have finished out a very quiet 9-3 and a Las Vegas bowl trip against a 5th or 6th place P5 team and ended up a scrolling line at the bottom of the screen.

What she did yesterday, whether she planned it or it got leaked or whatever, perpetuated the national storyline and it will continue to be that until the end of the season especially if they keep winning.

Realistically every recruit knows that this is a fickle business and there is always a chance, a pretty good one, that the head coach or your coordinator will not be there when you graduate. And I am sure that recruiters from other teams are telling these recruits all these negative things; worst offense in the country, KF won't be there, BF won't be there, etc.

But on the flip side, everyone is still out recruiting, and that includes KF and BF. And I am sure they get asked that question, are you going to be here? What do they say, nah, I don't think so, I have enough money and am going to sail off in a year or two? Or, nah, I am the OC of the worst offense in the history of football and I am sure I will be fired sometime here soon? No, they answer those questions by saying they intend to keep building the program, they bleed black and gold and that they, the recruit, is going to make the difference. That is the key. Call it confidence or arrogance, but anyone that is a competitor would think they can be the guy to change the narrative.

Now that is different. BF isn't going to be here and worse, none of the offensive recruits know who the new guy is. We are what, about 6 or 7 weeks from signing day and there is only about a month from the end of the regular season to signing day and even less than that if, and there is a very real possibility, that this team makes it to the B1G championship game. Is the replacement going to be known then? You would have to think there would have to be something know around that time. Holy shit, what would happen if we made the B1G and actually managed to win it? Stranger things have happened. What an unfortunate scenario.
And maybe they are getting turned down by recruits because they don't want to play for a crap offense. At least now Kirk can tell them the plan is to spice up the offense.

By firing Brian now, recruits still wouldn't know who the new guy is a month from now because you can't really do a search and get a guy in place before the season is over.....you sure can't bring someone in from another school. So what is the only option? There is nobody on staff that would excite a recruit, so promoting from within won't fix any problems.

Putting the announcement off until the end of the season wouldn't "save" anything. Putting the decision off does more harm, IMO.

And again....we don't know what went on behind the scenes.

We disagree on this and that's fine.

Hey is Deion Sanders flashed out at colorado yet and if so maybe he's available??
Please explain why you support this:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span."

This is the poster child for strawman arguments, thank you for being a perfect embodiment of logical fallacies and childish thinking.

• Haha
Reactions: littlez
"Thanks Phil Parker" would've been shorter to type
For all anyone knows PP is all in on the " conservative " offensive playbook as well. Not saying the 130th offense, but a low turnover, field position, keep the clock moving offense may dovetail with his defense philosophy. We don't know for sure, he could have been long gone if it didn't. The ceiling offense might be closer to 60th than top 20. Just my .02 worth...

I provided facts.
You provided statistics, and inferred that I somehow support them through a strawman fallacy, which is a common argument tactic for both yourself, and children.

Find me a post where I say I BF should stay or that I think he's a good OC. You should be able to do that if they exist, right?

Reactions: yrunvs
You provided statistics, and inferred that I somehow support them through a strawman fallacy, which is a common argument tactic for both yourself, and children.

Find me a post where I say I BF should stay or that I think he's a good OC. You should be able to do that if they exist, right?
Is your alternate handle yrunvs? Because the facts I provided were in answer to his post. The rest of your post you just made up.

Is your alternate handle yrunvs? Because the facts I provided were in answer to his post. The rest of your post you just made up.
You posted nearly the same thing, verbatim, as a direct reply to me in another thread.

If you can't find the posts, just say so and admit you can only argue like a child because you can't comprehend nuance.

Who said I supported poor statistics?
I support our win loss statistic. I support Kirks ability to be on the winning side most of the time, Lord only know's how he does it. Yes BF should be gone he isn't good at his current job. There are many, many coach's out there that have lost to those statistics. Knuckle heads around here want to go beyond getting rid of the problem (BF) to getting rid of arguably the best coach Iowa ever has had. Kirk has many more wins under his belt.

And maybe they are getting turned down by recruits because they don't want to play for a crap offense. At least now Kirk can tell them the plan is to spice up the offense.

By firing Brian now, recruits still wouldn't know who the new guy is a month from now because you can't really do a search and get a guy in place before the season is over.....you sure can't bring someone in from another school. So what is the only option? There is nobody on staff that would excite a recruit, so promoting from within won't fix any problems.

Putting the announcement off until the end of the season wouldn't "save" anything. Putting the decision off does more harm, IMO.

And again....we don't know what went on behind the scenes.

We disagree on this and that's fine.
I see your point about the recruits and I agree that promoting from within is not going to excite anyone.

I didn't necessarily think that delaying the decision was going to save the recruiting class, I just think it would have shortened the time of uncertainty for everyone involved.

I guess it really doesn't matter, what is done is done whether I think it was the right thing to do at this time or not. I think one thing we can all agree on is we all hope that the next hire is the right one.

Reactions: bumper52 and 83Hawk
You posted nearly the same thing, verbatim, as a direct reply to me in another thread.

If you can't find the posts, just say so and admit you can only argue like a child because you can't comprehend nuance.
I posted this:

"Also, please explain how this is acceptable:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span.""

I asked you to explain how it was acceptable. I never said that YOU found it acceptable. I never said ANYTHING about you thinking Brian should stay or that you thought he was a good OC. I mentioned NONE of that. You became defensive and started imagining and making things up.

Apparently you can only argue like a child because you can't comprehend nuance.

I posted this:

"Also, please explain how this is acceptable:

"After beating fourth-ranked Penn State, 23-20, the Hawkeyes have scored one or fewer touchdowns on offense in 18 of 29 games. They haven’t gained 400 yards in any of their last 30 games. They have been held to 166 yards or fewer in total offense seven times in that span.""

I asked you to explain how it was acceptable. I never said that YOU found it acceptable. I never said ANYTHING about you thinking Brian should stay or that you thought he was a good OC. I mentioned NONE of that. You became defensive and started imagining and making things up.

Apparently you can only argue like a child because you can't comprehend nuance.
Explain it away however you want to dodge the confrontation, I've seen how you've posted on here for years and it falls in-line with your lack of tact and understanding.

Then again, you've also claimed to have put me on ignore several times, yet always come crawling back.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT