ADVERTISEMENT

New week, same old BS

Phils not staying. Lot's of losing for you folks to grind on coming up.
I'm not for Kirk leaving, but Nebraska and Wisconsin are basically Iowa with first year staffs. Why do people always assume that if Kirk leaves we will be 1980 northwestern?

Reactions: bumper52
You bring in an interim. There have been many examples of this. Give me an example where an assistant coach has been fired with a third of the season remaining and allowed to stay.
Give an interim example of an outside coach being brought in as an assistant.

Beth was pretty much backed into a corner.

The offense was not going to get any better, and to let it continue to get worse and not do anything makes the AD look weak, and like the University doesn't care.

Something HAD to be done. Perhaps Beth wanted to fire Brian outright, but after meeting with Kirk they worked it out so that he technically wasn't fired, just that his employment will end after the season (same thing, I know). There may be other factors that come into play that were discussed/worked out between Beth and Kirk.

For all we know Kirk may have said he will retire after the season, but wants Brian to finish out the year so they can go out together.

Beth had to do something, and I think she handled it well.
University President is behind it just as she was pushing Gary out. Beth was the handler for getting Brian out.

Reactions: Iron Doc
I haven't seen a single post suggesting anyone wants Phil Parker to leave. I think it's fair that people wanted Brian gone...and they are ready for Kirk to retire. This program is in terrible condition all around....and that falls on Kirk.

I bet your reply will be....."but, but, but....we are 6-2!"
Well, if you want KF out, you'd better plan on Parker leaving.

Who hired Phil? Who is Phil's best buddy? If Kirk doesn't get any cred for that then he should not get any static for offense.
KF is responsible for the entire program's successes and failures, like any leader. With that said, he hasn't done a darn thing to truly, effectively, improve the offense. Hiring "yes men" isn't innovative.

He's more of a Hawkeye fan than you could ever hope to be.
lmfao-giggle.gif

He hired the coaches, but he stays out of the defense right? Everyone knows he's involved with the offense. So yeah, he gets some credit for hiring a good D staff, but he needs to stand off the offense as well because while he's a good CEO he's not creative on O.
LOL. Kirk had 0 to do with defense and special teams??

After staying away for a week, I decided to come back to see if the vitriol on this board had subsided. With the Brian Ferentz announcement, I figured there would be jubilation and dancing in the streets, but no, the whiners are still finding something to bitch about.

There are some calling for Kirk's retirement, which I do not think will happen. Interesting that many of those hoping that he will retire, are known trolls to this board. If I was a clone, cornholer or goofer fan I would want him gone also. After all, Kirk has owned you over the past 10 years.

I commend Beth on making the call earlier than later. A proactive move to get a jump on Brian's replacement for 2024. It puts the wheels in motion for Iowa's hiring timeline. Brian needed to go for sure. Fingers crossed, Kirk makes the right move. It is his hire! It will be interedting to see if any of the offensive coaches are shown the door.

I'm not sure Hill is the answer but the fact that he is still #1 says something about our QB room. FWIW, Labas didn't set the world on fire against Kentucky.

On to Northwestern, Hawks better bring their "A" game.
Yup. Another day, another post whining about how real fans are supposed to post on a message board. This is the same coach who fought against the AD who you are praising for getting rid of the OC because the HC coach would not.

Phils not staying. Lot's of losing for you folks to grind on coming up.
How do you know this? Are you and Phil tight? Look, I’m not sure how any of you guys thought this could end any other way than messy. Nobody loves being under the microscope for doing poorly at their job. Of course it’s not easy for Phil. He’s great at his job. He’s top 5 in the country. He’s 58-59 years old. Even if Kirk leaves the new coach is going to beg him to stay as is the school. He’s valuable. Brian is not. He’s put a lot of years into this program. There’s no reason to leave if we get the right coach.

I also think this was poorly handled. We all know this has been a distraction, the poor offense, the contract, etc. Think about it though. Let's say this Saturday against NW the offense sucks. Guess what, still major distraction but a new narrative about him being a lame duck. But let's say they come out and score 40 and have 450 yards of offense. Again, major distraction and now the AD is involved with it. This goes for every game from here on out and now Goetz is tied to Brian at the hip. She sure as hell is not hoping the offense improves, but having the offense be historically bad makes her look bad too. If she had left it alone and let the season play out this vould have been handled then and there would be no risk.

As far as recruiting goes, what did that change? Nothing. Nobody is suddenly going to come here because BF is gone because they don't know who the replacement is. Donors? Sit down with them and explain exactly this. Tell them that BF is gone at the end of the season so chill out for 4 games.

There were 2 ways to handle this. Either let it play out and let him resign at the end of the season or fire him now and have his permanent replacement in hand. This was a knee-jerk reaction that solved nothing.
Ridiculous. Knee jerk reaction? This is years in the making. And gotten worse to the point where we finally hit rock bottom. You think we’re going to go out and score 40 and get 450 yards as you say? Sure thing. Deacon gone wild. And Kirk also doesn’t get the chance to hire freaking Buda boy as his coordinator. That’s off the table. Get a real coordinator, a real QB coach or you’re gone as well. It’s that simple. She’s already proven she’s not messing around.

There will be plenty to hate on while we work through the Scott Frost's of the coaching world.

How do you know this? Are you and Phil tight? Look, I’m not sure how any of you guys thought this could end any other way than messy. Nobody loves being under the microscope for doing poorly at their job. Of course it’s not easy for Phil. He’s great at his job. He’s top 5 in the country. He’s 58-59 years old. Even if Kirk leaves the new coach is going to beg him to stay as is the school. He’s valuable. Brian is not. He’s put a lot of years into this program. There’s no reason to leave if we get the right coach.

Sorry but......he gone.

After staying away for a week, I decided to come back to see if the vitriol on this board had subsided. With the Brian Ferentz announcement, I figured there would be jubilation and dancing in the streets, but no, the whiners are still finding something to bitch about.

There are some calling for Kirk's retirement, which I do not think will happen. Interesting that many of those hoping that he will retire, are known trolls to this board. If I was a clone, cornholer or goofer fan I would want him gone also. After all, Kirk has owned you over the past 10 years.

I commend Beth on making the call earlier than later. A proactive move to get a jump on Brian's replacement for 2024. It puts the wheels in motion for Iowa's hiring timeline. Brian needed to go for sure. Fingers crossed, Kirk makes the right move. It is his hire! It will be interedting to see if any of the offensive coaches are shown the door.

I'm not sure Hill is the answer but the fact that he is still #1 says something about our QB room. FWIW, Labas didn't set the world on fire against Kentucky.

Hill starting says nothing about our backups.
Kirk has done this for 25 years, stubborn, can't admit he might be wrong , narcissist.

No because he went through the lean years of the 1970s before Fry. He can appreciate that Iowa is a top 25 program. He goes to the games. He contributes to the University. He's a core Iowa fan.
So those that weren't born or old enough to go through the 70's, yet go to games when able, support the team through merch (etc), are not "core fans"?

Reactions: Bierhalter
It's almost like the people who have hated Kirk for years continuing to watch and comment.
Who has "hated" Kirk? I haven't seen anyone say they hate him, they may hate his offensive philosophy and stubbornness, but not him as a person.

It's more likely than not that Phil is gone after Kirk leaves, but it's not a given. Depends on the new HC should that come to pass.
Would love for BG to entice PP to be interim or co-HC if KF leaves. This keeps him and his continuity around until he and the remaining staff can be elevated and a new HC\OC et al can be named. Offer him KF's salary for 4 years or so.

Reactions: Iron Doc

Another complaint post about complaining. This guy is so dense.

Reactions: obfuscating

Compared to Hill's production he did.

The genious of Kirk will be appreciated in hind sight. BTW, most of the assistant coach's will be gone too.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT