ADVERTISEMENT

Nikki Haley stumbles when asked about the Civil War and slavery

How so? She's a candidate for POTUS, and was the governor of a slave state. You'd think she'd have been able to answer a simple question like this one.
I’m not talking about Nikki. I’m talking about all the same posters saying all the same things.

Reactions: hawkland14
What's truly sad, is that like Tim Scott - she's trying to run as an old-school republican...and there's simply no room for them in the GOP any more.

Agreed, they are trying / having to find a balance between old school and capture some of the MAGA voters to get enough to win. But it's a very tight line that SHOULD exist, but basically impossible as too many have been brain washed that any middle ground is being a liberal sellout. See exhibit A. Liz Cheney.

She should have doubled down and said it had nothing to do with slavery. She would have gained votes. Trump would have doubled down and that’s why he’s destroying these wannabes

The left has given Biden a pass for his comments. If they want to make an issue out of this with Haley then be prepared to take a full accounting of Biden's remarks. The RNC should put all of it on a reel and play it ad after ad.
The right has sucked Trumps dick from day one about everything.
You want go quote for quote on supposed gaffes?

I’m not talking about Nikki. I’m talking about all the same posters saying all the same things.
When is the last time we discussed Nikki Haley's inability to say the word slavery?
I'm sorry you guys are uncomfortable about the cause of the Civil War, and prefer to listen to someone like Haley mumble out words about states rights and the role of government. She could be a decent candidate if she wasn't simply trying to hang in the race on the off chance that Trump implodes or suffers a massive heart attack.

I guess the D smear machine has targeted a strong woman of color.

Deplorable yet so predictable.
Politicians should only face questions from their own side?

Should Joe Biden face question on the border from republicans? Or just softballs's from other democrats?

When is the last time we discussed Nikki Haley's inability to say the word slavery?
I’m not sure when we last discussed Nikki and slavery in the same thread, but we’ve discussed Nikki many times and we’ve discussed slavery many times. And this thread features all the same posters making all the same arguments and all the same insults.
I'm sorry you guys are uncomfortable about the cause of the Civil War, and prefer to listen to someone like Haley mumble out words about states rights and the role of government.
And now you’re playing the role of Lucas80 to perfection with your blatant horseshit lying. I have no qualms at all about saying that slavery was the primary cause of the Civil War. I’ve said it many times in many threads. The reason we know slavery was the primary cause is because the fvcking Confederates told us so. Several states specifically mentioned slavery in their declarations of secession. The CSA constitution specifically protected the right to own slaves. And CSA Vice-President Alexander Stephens declared that slavery was the foundation of the new government in his Cornerstone Speech.

I’m sure the Confederates also had other, less pressing grievances - tariffs and whatnot - but there is no question that the preservation of slavery was the driving force behind secession and the resulting war.

She could be a decent candidate if she wasn't simply trying to hang in the race on the off chance that Trump implodes or suffers a massive heart attack.
I don’t give a shit about Nikki. She’s nowhere near qualified to be President. I wish someone like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan would run. That way when Trump has his inevitable grabber the GOP can finally nominate a legitimate candidate.

As long as she's not in favor of slavery, like The Donald, it's just another word salad gotcha by our crack media.
Wrong!
She’s trying to “thread the needle” so as not to upset the GOP MAGA base with facts! If she is from South Carolina, as she says she is, she needs to stay in touch with reality! The #1 reason South Carolina gave for leaving the Union 160 years ago was the Union’s opposition to the spreading of slavery into the western territories/ states of North America. “States rights” was (and is) nothing more than word salad for slavery. She is “a denier” of history.....something very important to all MAGAts. Always the agenda, and facts be damned.

Reactions: nelly02
Politicians should only face questions from their own side?

Should Joe Biden face question on the border from republicans? Or just softballs's from other democrats?
Well to be fair Joe Biden himself has taken very few questions from the press or the left in regards to the border so not sure you want to use that example.

It is odd that the left gets so worked up on this gaffe(which it was and Haley should be called out) but Biden clearly is a racist man by all accounts(back in chains comment, you ain’t black if you don’t vote for me comment, the crime bill of the 90s just to name a few) and Chis and the crew look at him as the greatest President since Lincoln. So spare me the fake outrage lucas is showing here.

• Haha
Reactions: Flie
Haley's entire campaign has been an attempt to appease everyone...or not to alienate anyone.

She got exposed because she's not "quick on her feet".
Thursday she tried to fix her blunder.
The problem is her words from Wednesday will become a club to beat her with.
Hell, even Chris Christie seized the moment.
She needs to finish a strong 2nd in both Iowa and NH. I don't see it.

It is odd that the left gets so worked up on this gaffe(which it was and Haley should be called out) but Biden clearly is a racist man by all accounts(back in chains comment, you ain’t black if you don’t vote for me comment, the crime bill of the 90s just to name a few) and Chis and the crew look at him as the greatest President since Lincoln. So spare me the fake outrage lucas is showing here.
Since those things were said years ago and ran its course, no one cares.

Haley just messed up this week, so it's quite a bit different. I don't even think it was that bad, but her recovery attempts were worse.

Since those things were said years ago and ran its course, no one cares.

Haley just messed up this week, so it's quite a bit different. I don't even think it was that bad, but her recovery attempts were worse.
O I agree. It is frustrating too because she seemed to be the best alternative to take down Trump. What a silly mistake.

But for the left to act like she is openly a racist KKK member because of the remark while openly supporting a man who has said and done many racist over his career is just laughable.

Last edited:
O I agree. It is frustrating too because she seemed to be the best alternative to take down Trump. What a silly mistake.

But for the left to act like she is openly a racist KKK member because of the remark while openly supporting a man who has said and done many racist things get his career is just laughable.
If it was down to Biden and her, I'd seriously consider her. That would be a matchup where the debates would be key to my decision. I just hope it someone besides Trump on that stage.

I get what she was doing. She's a politician from the south, and they still sting from the shadow of slavery. She was trying to explain in her way without owning it. That's why she says the south wanted to keep their traditions, while the north wanted change.

If it was down to Biden and her, I'd seriously consider her. That would be a matchup where the debates would be key to my decision. I just hope it someone besides Trump on that stage.

I get what she was doing. She's a politician from the south, and they still sting from the shadow of slavery. She was trying to explain in her way without owning it. That's why she says the south wanted to keep their traditions, while the north wanted change.
Again I agree with you. It’s the easiest question you could get as a politician. It’s just odd she is facing multiple days of questions and outrage about it from people who openly support the current POTUS who has a terrible history of racist remarks and laws.

But for the left to act like she is openly a racist KKK member because of the remark while openly supporting a man who has said and done many racist over his career is just laughable.

It's laughable how you give Haley the benefit of the doubt but Biden is clearly a card holding KKK member.

Not going to read through all this trash but I find it comical that all the democrats and a portion of republicans say that Donald trump is the worst person ever. Yet here we have someone running against trump and it’s not stop hate for her.
Wouldn’t you want to support her to take over trump who is probably the biggest threat to the democrat party because of the MAGA cult?

Haley's entire campaign has been an attempt to appease everyone...or not to alienate anyone.

She got exposed because she's not "quick on her feet".
Thursday she tried to fix her blunder.
The problem is her words from Wednesday will become a club to beat her with.
Hell, even Chris Christie seized the moment.
She needs to finish a strong 2nd in both Iowa and NH. I don't see it.
She is desperately trying not to lose a single vote, and in the process is losing a bunch of them.

Not going to read through all this trash but I find it comical that all the democrats and a portion of republicans say that Donald trump is the worst person ever. Yet here we have someone running against trump and it’s not stop hate for her.
Wouldn’t you want to support her to take over trump who is probably the biggest threat to the democrat party because of the MAGA cult?

So we should support Haley because we don't like Trump? Haley is still a republican. Most democrats won't like any of the republican candidates because of the platform/party they represent.

I’m not supporting anyone who doesn’t unequivocally and publicly reject Donald Trump.

Here's the thing tho - she's NOT running againt Trump...none of the republicans are save for Christie. Google any ad from their campaigns/supporting PACs, their speeches, debate performances, etc.; they all mention Trump as little as possible.

Because of all the bowl games I've watched this month, I've seen a ridiculous number of political ads lately - it's far more common to see Haley attack DeSantis than anyone else. They all seem content running for 2nd place.

I’m not sure when we last discussed Nikki and slavery in the same thread, but we’ve discussed Nikki many times and we’ve discussed slavery many times. And this thread features all the same posters making all the same arguments and all the same insults.

And now you’re playing the role of Lucas80 to perfection with your blatant horseshit lying. I have no qualms at all about saying that slavery was the primary cause of the Civil War. I’ve said it many times in many threads. The reason we know slavery was the primary cause is because the fvcking Confederates told us so. Several states specifically mentioned slavery in their declarations of secession. The CSA constitution specifically protected the right to own slaves. And CSA Vice-President Alexander Stephens declared that slavery was the foundation of the new government in his Cornerstone Speech.

I’m sure the Confederates also had other, less pressing grievances - tariffs and whatnot - but there is no question that the preservation of slavery was the driving force behind secession and the resulting war.

I don’t give a shit about Nikki. She’s nowhere near qualified to be President. I wish someone like Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan would run. That way when Trump has his inevitable grabber the GOP can finally nominate a legitimate candidate.
That's a lot of angry words. So, why can't Nikki just say that slavery was the cause? Because a large percentage of the GOP base believes in the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. That's why. The thread is about why Nikki Haley stumbled so badly. The reason is she was desperately trying to avoid saying the word slavery in order to avoid the core of your party.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT