ADVERTISEMENT

No bueno

Since an object was supposedly involved there’s no doubt in my mind it was a hazing assault. When you read of 2 or more wrestlers in trouble 4 out 5 times the word rectum is not far behind or an attempt to describe an act without actually using the term “t-bagged”.​

There should at least be some doubt since nobody really knows anything beyond the arrest.

Reactions: andegre
Who is what?
Since an object was supposedly involved there’s no doubt in my mind it was a hazing assault. When you read of 2 or more wrestlers in trouble 4 out 5 times the word rectum is not far behind or an attempt to describe an act without actually using the term “t-bagged”.​

I’m sorry..... Are you saying that nearly 83% of assaults involving at least two wrestlers inevitably includes some form of butt play?

Reactions: natchrlman
He hasn't been charged with anything. Many of the news orgs will not even print peoples names until charges have been filed. Having said that, this is not good no matter what happens.
The articles say he's been arrested, he HAS to be charged to be arrested.

The rate of false accusations of rape/sexual assault are comparable to false accusations of other crimes (~2-3% of all accusations/reports made to law enforcement). In fact, men are more likely to be raped than to be falsely accused of rape.

Of all of my and my friends' experiences with rape and sexual assault, only one of us went to the police (and that was such a horrible experience for her she almost killed herself).

Edit: And I'm not saying this because I think he's guilty. I hope it didn't happen, because if it did, that means there's a victim who is going to be dealing with so much BS from "fans."
1 false accusation for anybody for any crime is one too many. I don't care what statistics say.

1 false accusation for anybody for any crime is one too many. I don't care what statistics say.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying there isn't anything terribly unique about rape/sexual assault statistics as far as false accusations.

I'd say that one rape or sexual assault is one too many, yet every woman I know under the age of 50 (and many I know over 50) has at least one story.

Sounds to me like your friends needed to hang around better people

Wow. What's a good way to know who to hang out with? Can you tell me which friends of yours have groped a woman in a bar or had sexual relations of any sort with someone without expressed consent?

Sometimes we don't get to choose who we sit by at sporting events. Or who else is at a bar. Or who we walk past as we walk down the street or who we jog past or who we encounter at the gym. Why would the successful attorney from a good Christian family be a threat? Why would anyone think her best friend of almost 10 years would possibly rape and impregnate her?

Women and men are sexually assaulted at a far higher rate than there are false accusations. Obviously you don't care about that.

You just lose a lot of credibility when making outrageous claims like every single women you know under the age of 50 has been sexually assaulted.

I think the vast majority of both men and women are anti sexual harassment and sexual assault, but making up stats and exaggerating really does nothing to solve the problem. In fact, it probably just hurts your point, because you're going to end up ostracizing a large group of people who hold the same general viewpoint as you.

Some have just been forcefully groped. Some raped. If our stories bother you, that's on you.

It does sound like a possible hazing incident BUT we won't know for sure until charges are filed (if they are).

Just trying to connect the dots & create the timeline. Here is what has been reported and documented:

* Gable Steveson of Apple Valley, MN, one of the nation's top heavyweight wrestlers, was arrested Saturday, June 15, along with a second Gophers wrestler, Dylan Martinez. Martinez (149 pounder) joined the Gopher wrestling program for the 2019 Spring semester and the remainder of his two years of eligibility. Martinez will redshirt the rest of the 2018-19 season. Martinez wrestled at Fresno City College out of high school and was a two-time state champion in the California Community College (CACC).

* 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis MN--a house where Martinez lives with OTHER Gopher wrestlers.

* Fri June 14, around 8:40 pm--The 911 call brought officers to Martinez' home.

* Someone (man or woman) who was at Martinez' home (another wrestler who lives there? a guest?) then filed the complaint. If you look at the police incident report (go to the 1:23 mark of video linked below for more):

Offense: Sexual assault

Description: CSC (Criminal Sexual Conduct) -- Penetrate with object

* Sat June 15--the 2 wrestlers, Steveson & Martinez, were arrested.

* Nights of Sat June 15 & Sun Jun 16--the 2 wrestlers, Steveson & Martinez, have been in jail.

Neither wrestler has been charged with a crime as of Sunday evening, June 16.

Both wrestlers have been suspended by the University of Minnesota.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reminded me of this: The incident is the second cloud in three years to descend on the Gopher wrestling program. Veteran coach J Robinson was fired in September 2016 after the Athletic Department began investigating his handling of an alleged drug ring among wrestlers involving the anti-anxiety medication Xanax. Four wrestlers were later suspended.

Link: https://kstp.com/news/gable-steveso...-u-of-m-wrestlers-june-16-2019/5391580/?cat=1

Last edited:
It does sound like a possible hazing incident BUT we won't know for sure until charges are filed (if they are).

Just trying to connect the dots & create the timeline. Here is what has been reported and documented:

* 14th Ave SE, Minneapolis MN--a house where Martinez lives with OTHER Gopher wrestlers.

* Fri June 14, around 8:40 pm--The 911 call brought officers to Martinez' home.

* Someone from Martinez' home (another wrestler who lives there?) then filed the complaint. If you look at the police incident report (go to the 1:23 mark of video linked below for more):

Offense: Sexual assault

Description: CSC (Criminal Sexual Conduct) -- Penetrate with object

* Sat June 15--the 2 wrestlers arrested.

* Nights of Sat June 15 & Sun Jun 16--the 2 wrestlers have been in jail.

Neither wrestler has been charged with a crime as of Sunday evening, June 16.

Both wrestlers have been suspended by the Univ of Minnesota.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reminded me of this: The incident is the second cloud in three years to descend on the Gopher wrestling program. Veteran coach J Robinson was fired in September 2016 after the Athletic Department began investigating his handling of an alleged drug ring among wrestlers involving the anti-anxiety medication Xanax. Four wrestlers were later suspended.

Link: https://kstp.com/news/gable-steveso...-u-of-m-wrestlers-june-16-2019/5391580/?cat=1
Just bc it happened at a house where some wrestlers live doesn't mean it had anything to do with hazing. Certainly women go to that house for various reasons too. At this point it's obviously all just speculation but it doesn't sound good for anyone involved.

Just bc it happened at a house where some wrestlers live doesn't mean it had anything to do with hazing. Certainly women go to that house for various reasons too. At this point it's obviously all just speculation but it doesn't sound good for anyone involved.
Good point.

I am trying to stick with what has been reported and documented. On Fri June 14, around 8:40 pm, someone (man or woman) needed help and called 911. That 911 call brought officers to Martinez' home. The police filed a report.

The next day, Sat June 15, Martinez was arrested at his home, the same address where the 911 call had been placed.

Was that last part sarcasm?

I ask because the white male
Victimhood machine is so so tiring... you realize black people get killed by cops for things like selling cigarettes on the street?

Let’s be real here, the last people on the planet who can claim victimhood is that group.

Gable won’t be given the same benefit of the doubt as Brett Kavanaugh and Brock Turner simply because he says “they are lying”.... if you think otherwise, you’re choosing to bury your head in the sand.

Last edited:
in addition, either a man or woman is claiming to have been penetrated with an object.

this is one of many recent & very embarrassing incidents for Gopher athletics (football gang rape case; basketball player sexual assaults; wrestling drug dealing & now these sexual assault allegations).

Reactions: MitchLL
"Steveson family attorney Christa Groshek said that the family is very surprised by these allegations and the fact that Gable is in custody. She urged people to not rush to judgment as the situation is still unfolding and it is unclear if he will face charges.

"He's a good kid, and a good athlete" she said."

WTF?

"Steveson family attorney Christa Groshek said that the family is very surprised by these allegations and the fact that Gable is in custody. She urged people to not rush to judgment as the situation is still unfolding and it is unclear if he will face charges.

WTF?

I thought that sounded odd and out of place too. What bearing could/should that have on the situation.

As others have said, the whole thing is going to suck for everyone involved. No winners in a situation like this. :(

Reactions: andegre
I thought that sounded odd and out of place too. What bearing could/should that have on the situation.

As others have said, the whole thing is going to suck for everyone involved. No winners in a situation like this. :(
It's a veiled threat that Steveson is talented enough to go elsewhere if there's a chance of him not being fully supported by all parties.

Reactions: Gobblin and MitchLL
I'm just amazed at how the controversy around Gopher wrestling continues to develop.

Where's the emphasis on high moral character that Eggum promised when he was in the process of begging to become the next HC of the wrestling program?

He supposedly purged the team of questionable individuals. Only to repopulate the team with his thugs?

If this ends up in a "worst case" scenario... he's got to be fired.

WTF?

Yeah, it's ridiculous that would even be brought up as if it has any relevance to this case. Then again, a similar defense worked for that rapist from Stanford, so who even knows anymore

Reactions: Sara Henryson
they were arrested Sat night; do they have to be charged by today or released?

will be interesting to see what happens today;

Once again Gopher athletics is making front page news in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, and for all the wrong reasons

WTF?

She also said “he cooperated because he didn’t think he had anything to hide” (paraphrasing).

They eaither gave himself enough rope to hang himself, or they are after a bigger fish and he is the pawn.

Speculation is fun at 9 am.

Not going to rush to judgment.... obviously something happened and it sounds pretty disgusting.... I never cease to be amazed at the level of stupidity some young men that age are capable of....and lack of decency

Reactions: Franisdaman
Sounds to me like your friends needed to hang around better people, but since I don't know them I won't judge.

We can play this game for as long as you like.
This is revolting. My wife (who was my girlfriend at the time) and I were heading into a bar with another couple when a man approached us from behind and grabbed her ass. Was she hanging out with the wrong people? The only person at fault in these cases is the perpetrator. Stop victim blaming.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying there isn't anything terribly unique about rape/sexual assault statistics as far as false accusations.

I'd say that one rape or sexual assault is one too many, yet every woman I know under the age of 50 (and many I know over 50) has at least one story.

What would you attribute that high of percentage to? It is quite possible that there are some stories that have not been told to me as a male, but I can't think of one lady that I know well that has been raped/assaulted, and that would cover a couple/few hundred people.

Last edited:

I ask because the white male
Victimhood machine is so so tiring... you realize black people get killed by cops for things like selling cigarettes on the street?

Actually, the NY man was killed not for selling illegal cigarettes, but accidentally as he actively resisted arrest.

If you are going to speak to "victimhood", you should get your facts straight and not misrepresent events.

It is quite possible that there are some stories that have not been told to me as a male.

Definitely this. Victims don't always tell others for various reasons, nor should they have to, nor should they have to tell everyone they know. Most of my friends are okay with going into some detail (or saying "___happened), but some have never told any sort of specifics, and that's okay. They don't need to re-live their trauma to feed my curiosity-masked-as-concern or to prove a point on a message board.

If I'm out with my closest guy friend, who I love as a wacky older brother, and I get groped or something (something relatively minor)...would I tell him? I don't know, because then shyte would start flying, and it's not worth him getting arrested. Would I tell him after the fact? I don't know, because then it'd be "well why didn't you tell me? I don't care if I get arrested for that."

Actually, the NY man was killed not for selling illegal cigarettes, but accidentally as he actively resisted arrest.

If you are going to speak to "victimhood", you should get your facts straight and not misrepresent events.

When someone is saying I can’t breathe and they keep getting choked, the idea it was An accident is totally laughable.

Definitely this. Victims don't always tell others for various reasons, nor should they have to, nor should they have to tell everyone they know. Most of my friends are okay with going into some detail (or saying "___happened), but some have never told any sort of specifics, and that's okay. They don't need to re-live their trauma to feed my curiosity-masked-as-concern or to prove a point on a message board.

If I'm out with my closest guy friend, who I love as a wacky older brother, and I get groped or something (something relatively minor)...would I tell him? I don't know, because then shyte would start flying, and it's not worth him getting arrested. Would I tell him after the fact? I don't know, because then it'd be "well why didn't you tell me? I don't care if I get arrested for that."

I feel like you skirted the question that I asked you. You said every female you know under 50 has been assaulted/raped, I said no one that I know has been and allowed that there may well be some that have that have never brought that forward. You then emphasized that angle only.

Don't you think it is odd that your experience is 100% and mine is a qualified 0%?

While I agree with you, can we please stop talking politics on here?

Sorry.

I fined myself $18 to wrestle for life for political talk. That’s the cost of one youth headgear. Even if you think they shouldn’t wear it, it’s helpful for them to have it.

Date: June 17, 2019
Transaction ID: 4378-5155-4860-9356
Purpose: Wrestling For Life
Donation to: Wrestling for Life
Donation from: BanjoSaysWoof
Donation amount: $18.00 USD

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT