ADVERTISEMENT

No FSU or Clemson for now. Boo.

I nominate you to be the Chairman of the Dumbass Bowl Selection Committee.
I bet you’ll look awesome in your Committee blazer done up in shades of corn yellow and brown pork poop.
Keep your day job, twit.
You are the CEO of Cu*nt Inc.

2 California schools to the ACC, travel nightmare for their sports.

Too little, too late. There was a window where the ACC could have expanded to protect itself either by taking Texas and some partners or with USC and some PAC partners, but they laughingly trusted “The Alliance” and BSPiN to protect them. So now they’re effed.

Last edited:
I think they have to take them.

There’s only two ways this happens.

1) ESPN decides the way to fight off Fox getting into the lucrative southeast markets and recruiting grounds is to allow FSU and Clemson (and maybe UNC and Miami) to move to the SEC and keep the current ACC contract the same for the less desirable members. There’s a chance this could happen because the previous ACC regime was so incompetent and the contract so undervalued that numerous outlets said FSU and Clemson could leave and the value of the conference (giving the remaining members a small boost since they wouldn’t split the other two shares) could remain the same and ESPN was STILL getting a great deal.

2) Once the Big Ten, SEC and Big 12 take whatever they want, the ACC remnants need a home. And you could cobble together a good to great basketball league and a mediocre football team from the remnants. I think FSU, Clemson, UNC, Miami, Virginia and Duke are gone regardless of what else happens. There’s a chance Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Pitt and NC State also get picked up. But Boston College and Wake will definitively be left in the wasteland.

My guess when everything shakes out is that the Big Ten ends up with FSU, Clemson, Virginia and UNC. The SEC takes Virginia Tech and NC State (and possibly Miami and Duke but probably not). And the Big 12 takes Miami, Duke, Pitt, Louisville, (and possibly Georgia Tech and Syracuse). This would perfect fit the Big 12 plan of making an amazing basketball league to go with a mediocre football league so that the Big Ten and SEC would not feel perfectly at ease with breaking off from the rest of the ncaa.

I think the TV sets/geographic market size posters are still operating from back when the B1G added Rutgers and Maryland in 2014. The story was that adding those schools got the Big Ten Network into NYC and DC markets. The BTN would be on basic cable in those markets and the BTN would get richer regardless if a lot of people watched or not, a richer BTN meant a richer conference which meant higher payout to the schools.

I'm not so sure that is still a good theory anymore. The big money is not from the BTN, but rather from the contracts with Fox/CBS/NBC for a inventory of games and those contracts will be bigger if the games have better ratings. That's why people are talking about their teams respective TV rating stats.

If these two are invited then the existing members have to vote to approve?
Hmmm.

This is so dumb. I wish we could separate football from the rest of conference sports.
Yep. Separate conferences for different sports.

Speaking as a UNC basketball fan, I could see UNC basketball staying in the ACC - redefined as a basketball conference - while UNC football joins the Big 10 or another football conference.

I'm told by knowledgeable folks on the UNC board that ACC teams are locked into a revenue-sharing agreement - with ruinous penalties - until 2036, unless they can figure out a way to break that contract.

Too little, too late. There was a window where the ACC could have expanded to protect itself either by taking Texas and some partners or with USC and some PAC partners, but they laughingly trusted “The Alliance” and BSPiN to protect them. So now they’re effed.

This is what happens when you don't have the best / brightest. ACC is the second (or 3rd) pig to the trough and is now trying to eat the leftovers. B10 already got the most tasty parts.

And the ACC carousel keeps spinning slower than the big boys. The day Clemson and FSU leave, it will be more obvious that the ACC is finally and formally a second tier conference in football.

IP attorney on Candy Canes site who has reviewed the GOR explains why it isn’t iron-clad

Well, yeah... everyone talks about the buyout cost, but ignores the lawyer fees that'll be spent to get the job done.

We often spend more on lawyer fees than the actual settlement amount, and that's obscene.

F***ing lawyers....

Everyone hates them, until you need one..... :)

Our new insurance company REQUIRES us to use them. I have a pretty good track record of convincing lawyers that their clients are lying pond scum and they should stop wasting time with them.

But, noooooo.... we got a cheap insurance premium and we're paying twice as much because we have to enlist a lawyer for everything. 🤔

I erroneously stated that FSU hadn't made the CFP earlier. I forgot they got curbstomped by Oregon 59-20 in the first round the year OSU won it all. Only Clemson since then from the All Clemson Conference. My bad.

I erroneously stated that FSU hadn't made the CFP earlier. I forgot they got curbstomped by Oregon 59-20 in the first round the year OSU won it all. Only Clemson since then from the All Clemson Conference. My bad.
Yeah, looking back, the end of Jimbo’s era dates back to the 2014 season IMHO. This NFL laden team with a lot of returning players should have been serious contender for national champions but we were so uninspired and ill prepared that they really could have had 4 losses regular season. We kept coming back from deep deficits all season in second half. But not that one.

It was a tough one to watch. The only consolation for us Nole fans was it was the capstone to a 29 game winning streak that included our third national championship and third heisman winner. I hope you get to experience that type of run and joy at Iowa. You can’t even comprehend how amazing it was.

Last edited:
Where was your appearance? In the CFP or the BCS?

Reactions: BelemNole
Yeah, looking back, the end of Jimbo’s era dates back to the 2014 season IMHO. This NFL laden team with a lot of returning players should have been serious contender for national champions but we’re so uninspired and ill prepared that they really could have had 4 losses regular season. We kept coming back from deep deficits all season in second half. But not that one.

It was a tough one to watch. The only consolation for us Nole fans was it was the capstone to a 29 game winning streak that included our third national championship and third heisman winner. I hope you get to experience that type of run and joy at Iowa. You can’t even comprehend how amazing it was.
Thanks but everything would have to fall perfectly for us. We don’t have the depth to handle a bunch of injuries. 2009 was our best shot. 10-0. Up 10-0 at home against Northwestern and Stanzi got hurt on a dumb playcall. Lose that game and then lost at tOSU the following week, in OT, with a freshman QB. I don’t want to talk about what preceded OT. Too soon.

We did come back after those and beat GT in the Orange Bowl.

I am hearing Cal may drop football entirely. They dont care much anyway. The are elite academically. They dont need football. They produce some fantastic swimmers though.

For FSU people here. Are you hearing anything new or still feel confident you can get out of GOR with the ACC?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT