ADVERTISEMENT

Nobody wants to play the Super Bowl halftime show....

The Tradition

HR King
Apr 23, 2002
Who would have thought that the Super Bowl Halftime show, an American institution watched by more than 100 million people, would become the least wanted gig in music? But thanks to the ongoing controversy concerning the NFL’s stance on a player’s right to protest, brought to the forefront by football’s top conscientious objector Colin Kaepernick, Maroon 5 are learning the precarious stance that the performance represents.

According to sources, the band has reached out to more than a half-dozen stars to appear as featured guests during the 13-minute slot midway through Super Bowl LIII, but so far, none have agreed to do it. Among those considering the appearance are Cardi B, who is featured on the Maroon 5 hit “Girls Like You,” which spent seven weeks at No. 1 over the fall (the rapper is also scheduled to appear at the Grammy Awards on Feb. 10) and Andre Benjamin, AKA Andre 3000 of beloved local act Outkast. Others — like Mary J. Blige — had been approached but faced scheduling conflicts; still more, like Usher, Lauryn Hill and Nicki Minaj, who performed at the 2012 Super Bowl with Madonna, are names rumored to be in the mix.

Because the 2019 Super Bowl is being staged in Atlanta — arguably the capital of black music in the U.S. — Maroon 5’s team has been working to find a local act who will perform with them, says insiders (worth noting: the NFL has not yet officially announced Maroon 5 as the halftime show act). The booming Atlanta-based label and management company Quality Control — whose top acts Migos, Lil Yachty and Lil Baby will be performing at the Bud Light Super Bowl Music Fest at the city’s State Farm Arena on Jan. 31 — is an obvious candidate to help with that effort, and while the company’s principals, Kevin “Coach K” Lee and Pierre “Pee” Thomas, told Variety they have been speaking with reps about the halftime show, both declined to discuss further. A tag-team guest spot featuring Migos and Cardi B, whom the company also consults via its management division, seemed like a strong option until Cardi announced that she and her husband, Migos member Offset, are separating.

Other acts performing in town during the days leading up to the game include Cardi, Post Malone and Bruno Mars. In addition, local artists like Ludacris and Lil Jon will feature prominently at the Bud Light shows held on the weekend of the game.

Curiously, the Super Bowl halftime show doesn’t pay, which makes it even tricker to book an A-list act. And while the viewing audience is undoubtedly enormous, the criticism over aligning with the NFL promises to ring as loudly. “Nobody wants to be associated with it,” says one insider privy to talks about the halftime show. (That statement also begs the question of who will deliver the National Anthem at the game’s start.)

So what’s a halftime performer to do? “It’s like a movie — if you can’t cast the biggest stars, you need a high-concept,” says public relations veteran Howard Bragman of LaBrea.Media. “If other networks smell a weaker show, they’re gonna be counter-programming, so you have to come out really strong.” But considering the location and the still-lingering outcry by celebrities like Amy Schumer to boycott the Super Bowl, “there’s no question it’s going to be a challenge” for Maroon 5, he adds, though Bragman has some suggestions. “They could put a 500-person choir there or find one made up of local kids,” he offers. “Regardless, it has to be diverse. That’s who the audience is and that’s the world we live in.”

Variety has reached out to the NFL and a rep for Maroon 5 for comment.

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/maroon-5-super-bowl-halftime-show-1203089706/

Just put one or two high quality marching bands out there then...I would much rather watch that than some stupid rock performer lip syncing songs anyway.
I'm a fan of…

drumline.jpg

Because the 2019 Super Bowl is being staged in Atlanta — arguably the capital of black music in the U.S. — Maroon 5’s team has been working to find a local act who will perform with them
I’m pretty sure Drivin’ N’ Cryin’ has an open date in their schedule.

Reactions: CJBauer
Are you f'n kidding me?
All the money the NFL rakes in from the SB and they won"t pay for music/entertainment?
Why would they pay money for a halftime act when they’ve been able to get The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince, Madonna, The Who, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Beyonce, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake and many others all to do it for free?

Last edited:
Are you f'n kidding me?
All the money the NFL rakes in from the SB and they won"t pay for music/entertainment?

30 seconds of commercial cost how many millions of dollars? The band gets 15 minutes in front of the biggest audience possible for free to sell their music. I think they are coming out ahead.
Which is BS. Pay the artists. Takin advantage of artists and paying them in “exposure” is the biggest crock of sh**.

The half time show isn’t a 15 minute infomercial for the artist. It’s to draw in viewers. The super bowl needs good artists more than good artists need the super bowl.

Maybe they could combine the Oscars with the halftime show and get Adam to host both.

Why would they pay money for a halftime act when they’ve been able to get The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Prince, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen, Lady Gaga, Aerosmith, Tom Petty, Beyonce, Katy Perry, Justin Timberlake and many others all to do it for free?
Its obviously a great business decision that the NFL has been able to get away with. Not denying that.

That's literally what I was thinking of. There are some super high quality bands in that conference. Pick one or more of them.

Bam. Problem solved and I am pretty sure that these band members will be able to keep their uniforms on for the whole performance too. Win, win. :)
You think a historically black college is going to perform at the NFL halftime show after their collusion to blackball Kaepernick? That’s comical.

You think a historically black college is going to perform at the NFL halftime show after their collusion to blackball Kaepernick? That’s comical.

I guess we would have to ask them to know now wouldn't we. It is possible that intelligent people would realize that Kaepernick is not the end all, be all as it relates to everything NFL. Perhaps the powers that be at a predominantly black college would also realize that a large number of their fellow black men make MILLIONS of dollars playing and/or coaching a game to entertain others and would like to be a part of that.

Not everything has to go through the same prism that you see. It's comical to me that you appear to be such a single issue person.

I guess we would have to ask them to know now wouldn't we. It is possible that intelligent people would realize that Kaepernick is not the end all, be all as it relates to everything NFL. Perhaps the powers that be at a predominantly black college would also realize that a large number of their fellow black men make MILLIONS of dollars playing and/or coaching a game to entertain others and would like to be a part of that.

Not everything has to go through the same prism that you see. It's comical to me that you appear to be such a single issue person.
Me? Lol.

It doesn’t matter what I think. You are deluded if you think the powers that be at a HBC would ever, under any circumstances, be viewed as supporting the NFL in the current political climate.

I personally don’t give a shit about the Kaepernick situation any more. But I’m not naive enough to think Grambling’s band wants to play the SB halftime show.

Me? Lol.

It doesn’t matter what I think. You are deluded if you think the powers that be at a HBC would ever, under any circumstances, be viewed as supporting the NFL in the current political climate.

I personally don’t give a shit about the Kaepernick situation any more. But I’m not naive enough to think Grambling’s band wants to play the SB halftime show.

And that is your politically biased projection/opinion, unless you are on a first name basis with the president of Grambling and know for sure what they would really do.

Not everyone is hopelessly PC enough to turn down such an opportunity.

If another company came and asked you to do HR for them for free would you?
If I financially benefited from other sources , then sure

Expenses are covered and they get a massive lift in music sales. There is a reason why musicians have agreed to this arrangement for decades

If Dick Clark were alive today, he would be the one
promoter who could get Donnie and Marie Osmond
along with Janet Jackson to perform.

And that is your politically biased projection/opinion, unless you are on a first name basis with the president of Grambling and know for sure what they would really do.

Not everyone is hopelessly PC enough to turn down such an opportunity.
We will chalk you up as deluded and naive then.

Reactions: srams21 and lucas80
Which is BS. Pay the artists. Takin advantage of artists and paying them in “exposure” is the biggest crock of sh**.

The half time show isn’t a 15 minute infomercial for the artist. It’s to draw in viewers. The super bowl needs good artists more than good artists need the super bowl.

Really because they seem to do just fine without paying them.

Reactions: gohawks50
If another company came and asked you to do HR for them for free would you?

Not the same thing. This is more like he comes to do HR for free for a day and then every company looking for an HR person sends him a job offer.

Wouldn't you work for free for a day if it meant a bigger opportunity later on?

Remember that most music artists just break even when they do a tour. The payoff of a tour is selling their music.

That is exactly what this is except it's an audience that is 1000 times bigger. They don't make money doing concerts anyways. So not getting paid is no big deal.

We will chalk you up as deluded and naive then.
I don't know torbee. If I'm prez of Morehouse I'll take that call and I'll listen. If my band and my school can have an opportunity for that many eyeballs, I'm listening. Of course, I would want to negotiate the right to make some sort of gesture or statement in solidarity with Colin Kaepernick and other athletes aiming to draw attention to discriminative policing. If, for example, my band can perform a song or songs drawing attention to discrimination, or if, for example, my band can wear an armband or patch with a "politically correct" statement of equality or whatever, I'm in. Or if I can negotiate a performance fee, some or all of which can be donated to, for example, the Colin Kaepernick Foundation, I'm interested.

@Herkmeister you're going to enjoy this…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT