ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Connecticut Sun (2-0) at Indiana Fever (0-3) Game Thread*****

Unfortunately, I can't ever see the WNBA changing into a finesse league. It's up to the rookies to learn to adapt to playing bully ball. I'm confident Caitlin will do that.

I was impressed by the Fever last night. They looked so much better than during their previous games. It will take time for them to learn each other's tendencies and to be able to play as a unit. They've only been playing together for 3 weeks, and most of that has been practice time. Color me optimistic.

2 things; Mitchell is a bit of a ball hog but…. she has really only played these last two games and made an impact and she also gets playing with Clark. In her in game interview those that we’re paying attention when she was interviewed. She didn’t mention her by name but she said she tries to stay locked onto number 22 because she draws a lot of attention.

2nd…. I believe this Coach, whom I was pretty confident was clueless early on. My bad; is learning her team and watching closely. She has done a good job these last two games and I promise you she sees Fangbele is going to have to be on the court with CC. Shes the only one who can catch her damn long ball..

So does Mitchell….

And I think Wheeler & Clark will be better together going further.

Incidentally, what happened to Grace Berger? I was honestly was warming up to her.

The league will continue to need subsidization/fail if they don't clean up the play and learn to cater to Caitlin's style. If they would call a foul a foul, she would look as good as she did in college.

Unfortunately, they're letting defenders beat the crap out of her (and others) with no consequences.

Makes the game quite unwatchable, as many here have already stated.
How long before we see how good of a fighter cc is, I have a feeling we may see haymakers thrown if they don't clean up the play. Iowa played such beautiful basketball, this is thug ball garbage

How long before we see how good of a fighter cc is, I have a feeling we may see haymakers thrown if they don't clean up the play. Iowa played such beautiful basketball, this is thug ball garbage

Meh…. I don’t think so… Quite frankly these last two games, it looks to me like she’s having a lot of fun. If she quits making stupid ass fouls I think things will do nothing but go up.

They didn’t quit playing her as physical. She’s just learning how to get space. She’s already taken a massive step up in her basketball IQ, spatial awareness and what she has to do to get space in this league. Listen we’ve all seen several of her long balls just rim out. If her shooting improves only marginally, look out…

Meh…. I don’t think so… Quite frankly these last two games, it looks to me like she’s having a lot of fun. If she quits making stupid ass fouls I think things will do nothing but go up.

They didn’t quit playing her as physical. She’s just learning how to get space. She’s already taken a massive step up in her basketball IQ, spatial awareness and what she has to do to get space in this league. Listen we’ve all seen several of her long balls just rim out. If her shooting improves only marginally, look out…
1000% agree with this. She’s adjusting. No offense but 90% of you have never watched the WNBA. And that’s fine. But you expected her to come in at game 1 and dominate. Quit blaming the refs and everyone but CC. She’ll be fine. It a way bigger adjustment than most of you realized. She’s come a long way in 4 games. She’s got to quit getting stripped, and she’s got to play better defense. She never played it at Iowa. Last night was her best game yet. But she was still a -18 on the plus minus side.

• Love
Reactions: cmhawks99
1000% agree with this. She’s adjusting. No offense but 90% of you have never watched the WNBA. And that’s fine. But you expected her to come in at game 1 and dominate. Quit blaming the refs and everyone but CC. She’ll be fine. It a way bigger adjustment than most of you realized. She’s come a long way in 4 games. She’s got to quit getting stripped, and she’s got to play better defense. She never played it at Iowa. Last night was her best game yet. But she was still a -18 on the plus minus side.
I think most of here have been careful to point out a lot of her struggles are self-inflicted. But when she gets blasted by the media and socials for turning the ball over and shit like a kicked ball doesn’t get called and bunch of other plays, the refs are part of the equation. And you can cite the +/- from one game but my eyes tell me they are a much better team with her on the floor.

Yes to many strips…yuck. And if they’re not calling it a foul then you’ve got to adjust.

The thing that is so cool about what we’re seeing here, and this ridiculous schedule has only multiplied it!

We are seeing CC and the league, changing and adapting in real time.

In the very first game against the suns, they chased her, grabbed her, chased her off her shot and wouldn’t let her do her traditional step back. But what really showed she could compete was the fact that she cowboyd up and took it hard to the rack a couple of times. That full court length dribble drive for a layup pretty much assuaged any doubts I was ever going to have about her struggling badly her first year. That showed me right there that her athleticism translated to the league. Everything else was going to be mental.

By this fourth Suns game, they knew she could get loose and get space and they we’re doing anything and everything they could to keep her from getting downhill which meant guarding her heavy, 35 foot from the hoop.

That girl from the Suns and no, I’m not going to look her name up, but she is a hellacious defender and CC had her on skates in that game multiple times!

And quite frankly, she could take her to the rack almost at will.

The nuance is really entertaining.

As far as her perimeter defense, it appears to me that the coach has allowed her to cheat inside to help on rebounding, but she could get out there quicker than she does.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Last night was the first I've watched since game one I believe. You guys are right she is adjusting quite well and she has improved a bunch already and like cm said looked like she was having fun last night. She's still gets fouled alot though that doesn't get called, I just wish there was more free flow to the game and try guarding without all the bumpin and pushing and grabbing

That's the thing that drives me nuts - people see what they want to see. This isn't directed at you, and hell, I bagged on Boston for the blown layup. But the reality is Clark had the tech, Boston blew the layup, Mitchell had at least one air ball and had her shit thrown at the rim, and there were 50 other reasons why the Fever lost. The criticism of Clark bothers me a lot though, because yes she made mistakes, but without her they are dog crap.

CC had total control over the t and blew it. Boston blew layup but cc had the mojo going first. And blew the mojo

The kicked ball wasn’t a kicked ball. The refs got that one right. CC passed the ball right into then defender’s leg. The defender didn’t lift the leg or move it at all to try to block the ball. The ball bouncing off of a foot or leg is absolutely fine if the defender didn’t move their leg into the ball.

Bad pass by CC. Can’t listen to the announcers and believe them as gospel as they are often idiots that don’t know the rules of the game. Doesn’t matter the sport.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
WWENBA Basketbrawl!

The kicked ball wasn’t a kicked ball. The refs got that one right. CC passed the ball right into then defender’s leg. The defender didn’t lift the leg or move it at all to try to block the ball. The ball bouncing off of a foot or leg is absolutely fine if the defender didn’t move their leg into the ball.

Bad pass by CC. Can’t listen to the announcers and believe them as gospel as they are often idiots that don’t know the rules of the game. Doesn’t matter the sport.
Wrong. She extended her foot.

So with Thomas getting away with grabbing CC's arm twice and the missed kicked ball to start the game, three of CC's five turnovers shouldn't have been turnovers at all. But people will continue to blather on about her turnovers.
Thats It Martin Short GIF by PBS SoCal

Wrong. She extended her foot.

I put the video at 25% speed and I'm not sure where you're seeing a kick. The defender is moving sideways, her foot is in the air and coming down to plant when the ball bounces off it and almost knocks her down. Straight from the WNBA rule book...

"Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation."

There was no intentional act to kick the ball with the defender's foot. That was a hell of a strong pass by CC to almost take the defender down, but that is a play on situation.

I put the video at 25% speed and I'm not sure where you're seeing a kick. The defender is moving sideways, her foot is in the air and coming down to plant when the ball bounces off it and almost knocks her down. Straight from the WNBA rule book...

"Kicking the ball or striking it with any part of the leg is a violation when it is an intentional act. The ball accidentally striking the foot, the leg or fist is not a violation."

There was no intentional act to kick the ball with the defender's foot. That was a hell of a strong pass by CC to almost take the defender down, but that is a play on situation.
GZVlxvj.jpeg

Reactions: spiderland
Watch the video, not a screenshot. That frame you posted is after the ball has already nailed her foot, almost knocking her leg out from under her. The defender is allowed to pick their legs up to walk or shuffle when playing defense, they aren't allowed to stick it out to the side or in front/back to block a ball. It was accidental/incidental contact with her foot, not an intentional kick.

Watch the video, not a screenshot. That frame you posted is after the ball has already nailed her foot, almost knocking her leg out from under her. The defender is allowed to pick their legs up to walk or shuffle when playing defense, they aren't allowed to stick it out to the side or in front/back to block a ball. It was accidental/incidental contact with her foot, not an intentional kick.

I've watched it dozens of times. I think it was a kicked ball, but I see that there is an argument that it wasn't intentional. Both announcers thought it was clearly a kicked ball. I think I'd need a different camera angle to know 100%.

I did. It is best viewed on your phone because you can advance it frame by frame. I grabbed a screen shot of the tiny fraction of a second around impact. The leg/foot was extended. You see something else. I don’t think we will agree on the subject.

I would add going frame by frame with my finger on the phone, it is clear that the defender’s feet were close together while guarding, then she lunged with her right leg and foot towards the ball.

Reactions: MplsHawk
It would be nice if her teammates could catch. But both turnovers were correctly assessed to Clark.

Also, CC got away with a travel in the first clip. And the pass in the second clip was a touch behind her teammate. Certainly catchable, but not "perfect", as described in the tweet.

Not hating on CC. Both passes should have been caught.

Just hating on people that get all caught up about individual stats in a team game. The important thing is her teammates need to start catching and converting those passes
They all travel. It's not called at this level apparently.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT