ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Connecticut Sun (2-0) at Indiana Fever (0-3) Game Thread*****

It’s too bad the WNBA is looking more like the NFL. You can grab, knock down players and charge going to the basket. The bigger gals, height and WEIGHT can get away with anything.
If it wasn’t for Clark I wouldn’t be watching.
Terrible coaching!!!! Should learn to teach the gals how to set a screen for Clark.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
I overestimated the talent level in the WNBA. I get frustrated when the Fever screw up a play but then the other "good" team just goes and chucks the ball off the underside of the rim and it's like, "okay, tit-for-tat."
What’s weird is Boston led the league in FG% last year (57.8%) while taking 10.1 shots per game. She’s actually averaging slightly more at 10.5 shots/game so far this year, while shooting 40.5%.

Lol, easy for you to say sitting on the couch. Emotions run high. You're winless trying to win your first game and then the game begins with a blown call that results in a foul. Constantly slapped, hacked and body blocked the entire game. Game's late and you feel you got robbed again that's holding your team behind again.

Now tell us how you would of handled it and won the game. Same old shit from the message board posters that heads explode when Iowa's football offense fails and rant away from their phones on the couch. Lol
oh I definitely do not have composure. but nobody is running around giving me a "T". except the wife. she is tough. no pics.

CC was out of control with the refs in college and I thought maybe she might straighten that crap out in the pros, but I guess not. it's part of her make up and persona now. hard to teach and old dog new tricks.

and yes, absent that "T" they might have won. they had the mojo going. the mojo went away with that "T".

Good point. But Samuelson is not the answer at small Forward.
Given that quality guards are more plentiful than those wings, they my benefit from a 3 guard offense and keep Boston and Smith on the blocks to focus on rebounding. Kind of like when the warriors featured Steph, Klay, and whoever else. If they could add another shooter on the cheap, say by trading for Kate Martin, it could work and allow them to play faster with more ball movement and spacing.

So you enjoy her saying the eff word to refs - when she has umpteen million pre-teen girls watching, girls who are taking time away from Taylor swift while they look up to a sports role model who is not Travis Kelce?

The ignorant comment is saying she had “no composure” in college, that is a BS comment. She had plenty of composure most of the time. Yeah she let loose from game to game. All the greats push back on shitty officiating including MJ & Lebron both.

Don’t single CC out and act like she is some out of line hot head. It’s BS dude.

Caitlin is bigger than the WNBA. The league will change to benefit her (if they're smart).
I don't know about that. They should, but I see two problems.

The first is probably insurmountable, in that she is one of one. I thought the WNBA stars would lick their chops about receiving hot no look dimes but they routinely cannot handle them and I keep reading about it takes time to adjust to them. That tells me no one before has had that ability, and I don't know if there are more that can make those passes routinely.

The second is that there is such inertia and entrenched stars, I don't see it. It seems even the refs are part of the problem giving the crusty vets calls while never giving CC the benefit of any doubt, even if subconsciously.

So there is an overall lack of talent, stubborn egos, and inertia. I fear it will take years for CC to grind the league down, by then, no one may care anymore. I mean, how long did it take the NBA to get away from that horrible basketball played in the late 80s and into the 90s?

I don't disagree, though I do think she was fouled. It is really the coaches job to get the T, but sometimes a player like CC popping off can change the way the game is officiated for the better. It can also go the other way obviously, but officials don't want to catch endless negative criticism from fans either so more often than not when a star player gets T'ed up it at least gets the officials to make sure their calls are more defensible going forward.
As I watched the play, I wondered if she was actually calling out the ref for not calling a foul on her. It looked like to me she might have been intentionally grabbing to stop the easy layup.

Good coaches love to play teams with a CC on it. First, she is the team. Stop CC and you stop the team. She is the game. CC isn't a part of the game as she is THE game.

I don't think I've ever seen a player hounded as much as CC in any sport (unless teams I've coached playing a super star at the youth to HS level.

CC needs to be on a team with other really good players AND THEN she needs to learn to be a part of the game, not THE GAME.

If she continues on this team with this talent, her career will end badly. She will be physically beaten down. She's good. Maybe the best in the league on pure talent. She needs to learn quickly, but on a different team unless they can come around which I doubt.

I don't know about that. They should, but I see two problems.

The first is probably insurmountable, in that she is one of one. I thought the WNBA stars would lick their chops about receiving hot no look dimes but they routinely cannot handle them and I keep reading about it takes time to adjust to them. That tells me no one before has had that ability, and I don't know if there are more that can make those passes routinely.

The second is that there is such inertia and entrenched stars, I don't see it. It seems even the refs are part of the problem giving the crusty vets calls while never giving CC the benefit of any doubt, even if subconsciously.

So there is an overall lack of talent, stubborn egos, and inertia. I fear it will take years for CC to grind the league down, by then, no one may care anymore. I mean, how long did it take the NBA to get away from that horrible basketball played in the late 80s and into the 90s?
There is not a lack of talent.
Just think about that premise. These are the very best players to come out of college programs. The difference is a style of play that doesn't allow their talent the ability to drive the game. Sure, a few players break through that handcuff, but it should be more than a few.

*Also, the idea that good passes only come from Caitlin Clark is incredibly biased with Clark homerism. Lots of nice assists made in the WNBA games coming from a variety of players. It's just inconsistent (much like Clark in her own sampling).

It's the style of play that limits everything. Players expecting hard contact brace for that contact even when it isn't there, and it effects their game.

The NFL recognized they needed big plays and scoring, so they continually adjusted rules making it more difficult to defend playmakers. The WNBA could take some cues from that.

Just think about that premise. These are the very best players to come out of college programs. The difference is a style of play that doesn't allow their talent the ability to drive the game. Sure, a few players break through that handcuff, but it should be more than a few.

*Also, the idea that good passes only come from Caitlin Clark is incredibly biased with Clark homerism. Lots of nice assists made in the WNBA games coming from a variety of players. It's just inconsistent (much like Clark in her own sampling).

It's the style of play that limits everything. Players expecting hard contact brace for that contact even when it isn't there, and it effects their game.

The NFL recognized they needed big plays and scoring, so they continually adjusted rules making it more difficult to defend playmakers. The WNBA could take some cues from that.
There is tremendous talent. My point is not there is not talent, it is the lack of passing-specific talent. And of course, other players can make great passes. I have seen some in my limited sampling of the W. It is just those passes are few and far in between. Or maybe it is just the Fever players who appear to be so unskilled? In any event, my second point stands. I hope they prove me wrong, but I think there are too many entrenched egos to make rule changes.

I don’t know if it was game specific, but the coach settled in on the players that got playing time. It will be interesting to see if these are the players she will go with in the upcoming games. Using a Fran word, they seemed more “connected“ last night than the first three games. There were definitely some positives to take away from that game.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I don’t know if it was game specific, but the coach settled in on the players that got playing time. It will be interesting to see if these are the players she will go with in the upcoming games. Using a Fran word, they seemed more “connected“ last night than the first three games. There were definitely some positives to take away from that game.
I will say I was very impressed with Tèmítọ́pẹ́ Títílọlá Olúwatóbilọ́ba Fagbenle. She is is exactly the kind of player who CC needs to get out and rim run and finish on passes. I will also say that if Mitchell can just be 20% less selfish, she is an extremely talented slasher and scorer. Smith looked better. I am just not sure what to make of Boston. Overall though, this team is night and day from the team that got crushed by the Sun on opening night.

There is tremendous talent. My point is not there is not talent, it is the lack of passing-specific talent. And of course, other players can make great passes. I have seen some in my limited sampling of the W. It is just those passes are few and far in between. Or maybe it is just the Fever players who appear to be so unskilled? In any event, my second point stands. I hope they prove me wrong, but I think there are too many entrenched egos to make rule changes.
Agreed there. +

Maybe still important for all of us to remember the Fever team is a very new work in progress, still trying to figure out how to make it work with CC---where to be, what to expect, when to look. Only 22 days together thus far. Players like Stuelke, Czinano, and Martin had months and years to get on the same page.

I think this last Fever game showed signs of this learning curve. The noted screen and look spacing Boston has been adjusting from game 1, and the full sprint pace we saw from Fagbenle on her assisted bucket.

Even less time to figure things out with Mitchell coming back from injury, and I think that court relationship will improve as well.

Also a learning curve for Clark as well, discovering what will work. Some signs of this through four games. As a scorer it's interesting to watch her find some things. Looks like that 3pt line hesitation looking for the bite on a step-back has been opening a lane for her.

Yeah it's real ruff but CC is changing and so is the team. Last night was the first time I have ever seen her push someone in the back (no foul) and drive for a layup leading with her elbow out and knock the defender away, again no foul.

Boston destroyed Bonner to the floor on her ass on the layup at the end of the game. I was ok with that after watching how the game had been called/not called.

Perhaps this is just building towards CC becoming one of the best players in the WNBA within a couple of years and her and Boston building consistent chemistry. 0-4 sucks but considering how young the season is and the relative lack other consistent difference makers, I’m encouraged. Get CC and the Fever now. She wasn’t CC yet after one year at Iowa but soon became the best player in the college game. Just a bit more time. It’s coming.

As I watched the play, I wondered if she was actually calling out the ref for not calling a foul on her. It looked like to me she might have been intentionally grabbing to stop the easy layup.

I'm confused. The ref did call a foul on Clark. Do you mean Clark was upset for the ref not calling an earlier foul on her? Thomas knocked the ball away from Clark and Harris got possession. Clark intentionally fouled Harris--which they called as a "transition take" foul. Are you thinking Clark wanted a foul called on her against Thomas first before the transition take foul?

It’s too bad the WNBA is looking more like the NFL. You can grab, knock down players and charge going to the basket. The bigger gals, height and WEIGHT can get away with anything.
If it wasn’t for Clark I wouldn’t be watching.
Terrible coaching!!!! Should learn to teach the gals how to set a screen for Clark.

I thought the coaching was pretty good last night. The started the season playing against 2 of the 4 best teams in the league twice. Losing by 57 in the 1st 2 and a combined 14 in the 2nd 2….

That’s pretty significant improvement

Last edited:
Given that quality guards are more plentiful than those wings, they my benefit from a 3 guard offense and keep Boston and Smith on the blocks to focus on rebounding. Kind of like when the warriors featured Steph, Klay, and whoever else. If they could add another shooter on the cheap, say by trading for Kate Martin, it could work and allow them to play faster with more ball movement and spacing.

IMO Clark and Fangbele should always be on the court together along with Mitchell

The league will continue to need subsidization/fail if they don't clean up the play and learn to cater to Caitlin's style. If they would call a foul a foul, she would look as good as she did in college.

Unfortunately, they're letting defenders beat the crap out of her (and others) with no consequences.

Makes the game quite unwatchable, as many here have already stated.

oh I definitely do not have composure. but nobody is running around giving me a "T". except the wife. she is tough. no pics.

CC was out of control with the refs in college and I thought maybe she might straighten that crap out in the pros, but I guess not. it's part of her make up and persona now. hard to teach and old dog new tricks.

and yes, absent that "T" they might have won. they had the mojo going. the mojo went away with that "T".
A lot of complaints about that tech but if the center would have made that lay up the game would have most likely went into overtime!?

Reactions: cmhawks99
A lot of complaints about that tech but if the center would have made that lay up the game would have most likely went into overtime!?
That's the thing that drives me nuts - people see what they want to see. This isn't directed at you, and hell, I bagged on Boston for the blown layup. But the reality is Clark had the tech, Boston blew the layup, Mitchell had at least one air ball and had her shit thrown at the rim, and there were 50 other reasons why the Fever lost. The criticism of Clark bothers me a lot though, because yes she made mistakes, but without her they are dog crap.

She wasn’t fouled. When she’s been turning the ball over it’s mainly indecisiveness. She was rolling before those back to back turnovers. But don’t compound it with a T. Tonight was by far her best overall game. She was never asked to play real defense at Iowa because we couldn’t afford her to get in foul trouble. Shes quickly getting much tougher out there. Fighting through screens, etc. All a part of the learning curve.
this looks like a foul to me

I'm confused. The ref did call a foul on Clark. Do you mean Clark was upset for the ref not calling an earlier foul on her? Thomas knocked the ball away from Clark and Harris got possession. Clark intentionally fouled Harris--which they called as a "transition take" foul. Are you thinking Clark wanted a foul called on her against Thomas first before the transition take foul?
Rewatched the sequence... you're right.

this looks like a foul to me
W refs missed something on someone defending Clark?
Shocked Season 6 GIF by Friends

• Haha
Reactions: MplsHawk
Unfortunately, I can't ever see the WNBA changing into a finesse league. It's up to the rookies to learn to adapt to playing bully ball. I'm confident Caitlin will do that.

I was impressed by the Fever last night. They looked so much better than during their previous games. It will take time for them to learn each other's tendencies and to be able to play as a unit. They've only been playing together for 3 weeks, and most of that has been practice time. Color me optimistic.

I'm sure she regrets being t'd up, but hard to bite your tongue when it's your reputation and handles being so heavily scrutinized. The ref deserves scrutiny--gotta be better at your job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT