ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Connecticut Sun (2-0) at Indiana Fever (0-3) Game Thread*****

I overestimated the talent level in the WNBA. I get frustrated when the Fever screw up a play but then the other "good" team just goes and chucks the ball off the underside of the rim and it's like, "okay, tit-for-tat."
The discrepancy between the top say 20 players in the league and the rest is immense from what I've seen.

She's complained far less in the WNBA than she typically did in college. The timing of her T was bad, but the officiating was horrendous tonight so I understand her popping off.

She can’t pop off… not like that. Not to mention the fact that in my mind, she lost the handle and the ball got away from her. I don’t think it was even a foul….🤷‍♂️

But you are also correct in that. Honestly her behavior has been decidedly better in my humble opinion, but you can’t say…@call the ****ing foul, on national TV walking across the court like that…it’s gonna get caught on video!!!

But all the same she does need to show some intensity herself and she doesn’t have to take the constant bullshit…per se.

But not there and definitely not then and even at all, 4 games into her career?!

It still was funny… But she shouldn’t have done it lol how’s that for a completely middle of the road stance lol

Reactions: intrepodor
She can’t pop off… not like that. Not to mention the fact that in my mind, she lost the handle and the ball got away from her. I don’t think it was even a foul….🤷‍♂️

But you are also correct in that. Honestly her behavior has been decidedly better in my humble opinion, but you can’t say…@call the ****ing foul, on national TV walking across the court like that…it’s gonna get caught on video!!!

But all the same she does need to show some intensity herself and she doesn’t have to take the constant bullshit…per se.

But not there and definitely not then and even at all, 4 games into her career?!

It still was funny… But she shouldn’t have done it lol how’s that for a completely middle of the road stance lol

I don't disagree, though I do think she was fouled. It is really the coaches job to get the T, but sometimes a player like CC popping off can change the way the game is officiated for the better. It can also go the other way obviously, but officials don't want to catch endless negative criticism from fans either so more often than not when a star player gets T'ed up it at least gets the officials to make sure their calls are more defensible going forward.

Tough way end to the game but I think that they are starting to figure some things out.

Hopefully Fagbenle gets more minutes as she's got some rim running ability that will allow Clark to play in transition.

Only bad thing is they've got 3 road games in the next 5 days so it might get worse before it gets better.

I'd like to see more Boston and Fagbenle on the court at the same time. Watching one of the Fever actually run the court to catch a sweet dime from CC was a thing of beauty, and that isn't going to be Boston, but Boston has her strengths as well.

I don't disagree, though I do think she was fouled. It is really the coaches job to get the T, but sometimes a player like CC popping off can change the way the game is officiated for the better. It can also go the other way obviously, but officials don't want to catch endless negative criticism from fans either so more often than not when a star player gets T'ed up it at least gets the officials to make sure their calls are more defensible going forward.
She wasn’t fouled. When she’s been turning the ball over it’s mainly indecisiveness. She was rolling before those back to back turnovers. But don’t compound it with a T. Tonight was by far her best overall game. She was never asked to play real defense at Iowa because we couldn’t afford her to get in foul trouble. Shes quickly getting much tougher out there. Fighting through screens, etc. All a part of the learning curve.

There is plenty of talent on the court, but not enough talent to overcome the style of play allowed in the WNBA. It rewards rough play (for some reason--did people really want this at some point? Six fouls per player?) and doesn't allow any of the basketball talent to shine. It just becomes rough and clumsy.

As a new viewer this year, I think the WNBA needs to change the game they have created. As it stands, the physicality is frustrating, poorly officiated, and hard to watch.

The best play for #25 was the offensive charge into Caitlin then travelled and bailed out inexplicably with a defensive foul call instead.

Just absolutely horseshit officiating there.

I suspect the lack of $ in the league means they cannot attract decent individuals to officiate the league.

It’s one of many factors holding back the WNBA. They need to bring in new & better officials, immediately.

There is plenty of talent on the court, but not enough talent to overcome the style of play allowed in the WNBA. It rewards rough play (for some reason--did people really want this at some point? Six fouls per player?) and doesn't allow any of the basketball talent to shine. It just becomes rough and clumsy.

As a new viewer this year, I think the WNBA needs to change the game they have created. As it stands, the physicality is frustrating, poorly officiated, and hard to watch.

Bingo 1000%

Currently it is unwatchable.

Reactions: HawkMD

A bit like NBA used to be, so much grabbing, super hard fouls and grind ‘em out games. Now the athleticism and skill is allowed to shine. Seems like WNBA needs to evolve quickly.

Yeah they're trying way too hard to be what the NBA (mainly the players and trashcan street ball thug enthusiasts) thinks it wants to be.

This whole "no blood, no foul" style does not work for the less athletic and less polished women's game..................it's just too bad that they're too arrogantly stupid to want to change.

I don’t know anything about basketball but here are my limited thoughts:

Boston needs to lose 20-30 pounds.

Get rid of the clown ball and get a real ball in there. Just looks stupid.

Are all the courts fancy looking? Also looked stupid.

The coach seems in over her head. They were in a timeout and it took her forever to draw up a play. The players at the end didn’t even know who was doing what. Clark gave a “Phuck it, who knows, maybe it will work.” type of reaction.

In my previous comment, never seen so much girl on girl violence. Straight up muggings out there. Just terrible.

Lastly, after watching one half of a WNBA game, it’s clear why nobody watches them. I’ll tune in again, but ONLY because I love everything about CC22.

Last edited:
Yea bad calls all around but CC needs to learn composure, she had none in college and apparently not now either . And I mean none composure with calls against her
Lol, easy for you to say sitting on the couch. Emotions run high. You're winless trying to win your first game and then the game begins with a blown call that results in a foul. Constantly slapped, hacked and body blocked the entire game. Game's late and you feel you got robbed again that's holding your team behind again.

Now tell us how you would of handled it and won the game. Same old shit from the message board posters that heads explode when Iowa's football offense fails and rant away from their phones on the couch. Lol

Lol, easy for you to say sitting on the couch. Emotions run high. You're winless trying to win your first game and then the game begins with a blown call that results in a foul. Constantly slapped, hacked and body blocked the entire game. Game's late and you feel you got robbed again that's holding your team behind again.

Now tell us how you would of handled it and won the game. Same old shit from the message board posters that heads explode when Iowa's football offense fails and rant away from their phones on the couch. Lol
And let us not forget the opening sequence when the defender kicked her bounce pass and they counted it as a turnover which turned into a foul going the other way. Even the announcers were perplexed by the non-call. It seems like she gets 3 to 5 of those ref missteps a game where I am wondering where is the whistle? Also, when did it become okay to just lower your shoulder and charge toward the rim without it being a charge? It seems like they let that go a lot as well as moving screens. It's been said before but I feel like I am watching the Knicks or Pistons in the 90s.

The commish needs to have a sit down with the head of officiating and do a little ‘splainin’. Start with the fact that there’s a reason the 0-3 Fever were being broadcast tonight on ESPN’s flagship network at the same time the runner up of last year’s championship was having their game streaming on ESPN3. Unless of course she wants the W to continue to wallow in obscurity.
I'd like some accountability from the officials from the league. There has been missed kicked balls every game the Fever have been on the wrong side of the call. Even the announcers are calling them out on TV.

Like others have said the games are not going to be watchable if they can't be officiated correctly and fairly.

The Sun win 88-84.

Caitlin's stats:

27 minutes

3-7 (43%) from 3
2-4 (50%) from 2
5-11 (45%) overall shooting

4-4 (100%) FTs

17 Points
3 Defensive Rebounds
5 Assists

2 Blocks

5 Turnovers
5 Fouls

In game 4 last night, CC had 17 pts & 5 assists; she shot 45% from the field.

She's doing just fine.

Youtube reading of NY Times story on WNBA refs. Yes they are bad per GMs, coaches and players. Players fined for going public.

Good for CC giving them feedback during the game. CC pushed publicly for charter flights and the league got them. Let's hope she can do the same with the refs. Starts with better pay to keep the good ones.

Boom!!

No but Megan would
Megan would help but they really need an athletic 6-3 or so wing. Boston will come around (I think) but their forwards are terrible. Samuelson doesn’t have the size or athleticism to be starting.

Megan would help but they really need an athletic 6-3 or so wing. Boston will come around (I think) but their forwards are terrible. Samuelson doesn’t have the size or athleticism to be starting.
I don't disagree but how many female athletic 6-3 wings exist in the known universe?

I watched most of the game. I was entertained but dang that is kind of hard to watch at times. I just hate basketball when it gets grabby and pushy. CC is doing just fine and will be A great player in the league.

From what I've seen so far:

1. I don't much care for the WNBA product. Officiating, coaching, veteran player attitudes...not impressed with much of any of it.
2. If I HAD to pick a team to watch if Megan, Kate and Caitlin weren't in the league, I would probably end up being a bandwagon fan and watching the Aces. Their style of play has been the most entertaining for me to watch so far out of the teams I have seen play in Indianopolis, L.A., Dallas, Chicago, Minnesota, Connecticut and N.Y.
3. If no Hawkeyes were in the league, I'd probably not watch another game until the league improved--which would probably be never.

Lexi demands that you keep watching!

Are you gonna say "no" to Lexi?

GODeYo1XAAAFpvG

As I watched the game last night I realized the college game is so much better. Less talented for sure, but a better brand of ball.

Going forward it will be interesting to what other teams do with CC22, defensively speaking. Will they sell out and guard her 90 feet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT