ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2022 thread*****

There’s no Cubs baseball today, but that doesn’t mean that today – October 6th – isn’t a huge day in Cubs history. Come join me on a journey through the ghosts (and goats) of Cubs baseball past. We’ll visit Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig, talk about Dizzy & Steve Trout and learn a little more about a goat and a shooting while we wind our way through 6 stops in 85 years of Cubs post-season history. Like any trip through a Cubs postseason, it’s a bumpy ride, so buckle up.

I believe the honor of starting the ***Official Chicago Cubs 2023 Thread*** should go to @hawkifann .

I expect nothing less than the playoffs next season.

Let's get it started.
I’m late, but I appreciate the sentiment. I’m good with a QC thread. Playoffs are absolutely realistic next year.

Somebody tell Willson that he can resign. He can be a Cub with a promising future with all the young guys coming up. Chance to forgo a couple million extra to rake in lifetime millions and be a Cub legend. I'm sure the team would welcome him back as I don't know of any prospects ready at catcher.
Have the Cubs even offered him a contract? The front office doesn’t like his defense and they are clearly ready to move on.

Have the Cubs even offered him a contract? The front office doesn’t like his defense and they are clearly ready to move on.
I’ve not heard anything about discussions to extend him. They’d probably keep him for the right price - he can DH and he’s played some 1B and could be a good answer there. That said, it doesn’t seem like they’re that interested in keeping him, so I would expect them to extend the qualifying offer. He’s likely to reject it, but then who knows where his market is, I wouldn’t say never, but it does seem the Cubs are ready to move on.

I’m not an advanced stats weirdo, but Suzuki’s were decent for a first year player coming to the US from Japan, and given another 30+ games probably would have added another tick to his WAR.
As to Hoerner, he proved he can play the position at a highly effective level. What he still needs to show is that he can go a season without 1-2 trips to the IL for a muscle strain.

I’m not an advanced stats weirdo, but Suzuki’s were decent for a first year player coming to the US from Japan, and given another 30+ games probably would have added another tick to his WAR.
As to Hoerner, he proved he can play the position at a highly effective level. What he still needs to show is that he can go a season without 1-2 trips to the IL for a muscle strain.
It’ll help if the umps can be where they’re supposed to be….though I get your overall point.

I’ll laugh at the Mets if they end up being a Willson Contreras short of winning the WS.
Especially now that the story has come out about what was reportedly offered, I just laugh out loud at the Mets just expecting the Cubs to hand over Contreras for nothing because of the PCA deal. Eff off.

Reactions: TheCainer
Especially now that the story has come out about what was reportedly offered, I just laugh out loud at the Mets just expecting the Cubs to hand over Contreras for nothing because of the PCA deal. Eff off.
You get what you pay for, as they say.

Reactions: hawkifann
They were offering third tier, fringe prospects for an all star. Go cheap and you go home early.

Reactions: hawkifann
Which part?

All of it. The win loss record has no baring on a next year and a good finish means little.

Every Tigers fan was saying the exact same thing last year when they played at a 90 win pace after the first horriffic 45 games. Ask us how that went this year and if we're any closer to contention.

All of it. The win loss record has no baring on a next year and a good finish means little.

Every Tigers fan was saying the exact same thing last year when they played at a 90 win pace after the first horriffic 45 games. Ask us how that went this year and if we're any closer to contention.
I sure as hell feel better about the direction of the team now than I did in July. The Cubs had a lot of young pitching emerge and some other young players step up. Obviously the 2nd half guarantees nothing, but there was a lot to like in the 2nd half and plenty to build on in the offseason.

I sure as hell feel better about the direction of the team now than I did in July. The Cubs had a lot of young pitching emerge and some other young players step up. Obviously the 2nd half guarantees nothing, but there was a lot to like in the 2nd half and plenty to build on in the offseason.
And again it's all bs. And just hope and feelings not based on anything. It was true before and I just got the harsh reminder of it.

The cubs might be getting better might be getting worse but how they played over an arbitrary stretch in a different season has zero to do with it

The record shows improvement and that improvement was driven largely by young starting pitching. That, combined with some young offensive talent and a lot of money to spend. I just hope the Cubs spend more effectively than the Tigers did - a combined 13 years/$230M on Javy Baez (2 WAR, 90 wRC+), Eduardo Rodriguez (0.6 WAR, 106 ERA-), Andrew Chafin (0.9 WAR, 74 ERA-). Chafin was a great pickup, but Javy and Rodriguez really hurt the Tigers this year.

There are no guarantees and if the Cubs spend a bunch of money this offseason on guys that perform to the level above, then the team will stink…but given the young pitching development, which is very well documented and well-evidenced across the system over the past 2-3 seasons, there’s a lot to like on the North Side.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT