ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

I think they like him more than I do (as a player). As a person, by all accounts he’s a great human and I’m sure he’s a great guy to have around. The big problem is the 40. The Cubs aren’t in a position to just DFA anyone unless Leiter’s split isn’t splitting. Everyone on the 40 is either too young & promising or too good to just cut.

There will be one spot when Kilian goes on the 60-day IL, maybe Edwards plugs in there….but if you want Dom or Cooper or David Peralta or Escobar, others have to go. I still think trades could be coming.
There’s two Japanese players and Ian Happ that can be DFA anytime.

I was really looking forward to the game today, especially with Horton being the SP. Unfortunately it's a rain out. Marquee went to some interviews from the Cubs Convention and I had a good laugh in an interview with Ben Zobrist. "What advice are you looking forward to giving your kids and grandkids"? My response was, "Don't marry a crazy person that thinks they can sing"?

Happ will be the DH today. Hopefully he gets into the field quickly.
Mervis and Keegan Thompson were sent to the AAA camp today, another cut was Cam Sanders. He was no threat to make the MLB roster, but he got some good exposure this Spring, and he's further proof the system is stocked with power arms.

Happ will be the DH today. Hopefully he gets into the field quickly.
Mervis and Keegan Thompson were sent to the AAA camp today, another cut was Cam Sanders. He was no threat to make the MLB roster, but he got some good exposure this Spring, and he's further proof the system is stocked with power arms.
If Cam can get even a bit of command, he’s going to be a problem for hitters out of the Cubs pen for years.

Reactions: lucas80
So, with Smyly looking like a rotation candidate to start the season, are the Cubs going with the "no lefty in the bullpen" approach for the 2nd straight year? I was utterly shocked to see a major league team do that last year, and even more shocked that they are doing it again. At least last season they had Leiter, who was reliable against lefties; might not be so reliable this year. Not sure trading Horn was the best idea. Maybe Luke Little will break camp with the big leaguers....

So, with Smyly looking like a rotation candidate to start the season, are the Cubs going with the "no lefty in the bullpen" approach for the 2nd straight year? I was utterly shocked to see a major league team do that last year, and even more shocked that they are doing it again. At least last season they had Leiter, who was reliable against lefties; might not be so reliable this year. Not sure trading Horn was the best idea. Maybe Luke Little will break camp with the big leaguers....
It’s going to be interesting to watch. If Taillon only misses 2 turns through the rotation, that may mean the Cubs only need 1 spot start in that stretch (they can go 4 games and then back to Steele), but right now, I’d probably put odds on Assad and Little making the OD roster, which would give them flexibility to start Smyly or Assad and then have 3 guys who are effective against lefties: Little, Neris (his split plays well against L) and Leiter.

Also worth noting, though, is that the Cub rotation will have 3-4 lefties in the rotation, so most starting lineups they see will probably be pretty righty-heavy, which changes the matchup game a little bit.

Reactions: lucas80
The bullpen construction and last guy on the bench discussion is getting good. The big plus in the bullpen is that several worthy young guys are going to go to Des Moines and be ready to come up and down during the season.

Reactions: hawkifann
They have guys who can handle lefties, but you are correct about Leiter. I’m worried that Ross destroyed his arm last year.

They have guys who can handle lefties, but you are correct about Leiter. I’m worried that Ross destroyed his arm last year.
If he did, the Cubs have the depth to move him along when the time comes.

This is sooo much better than looking at a roster containing Rios, Torrens, Hosmer, Mancini and Barnhart.

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
If he did, the Cubs have the depth to move him along when the time comes.

This is sooo much better than looking at a roster containing Rios, Torrens, Hosmer, Mancini and Barnhart.
Sadly, the Cubs are paying two of those guys this year.

Ok - 1 week until opening day!

Everyone predict the opening day roster. Let's see who gets closest:

SP - Steele, Hendricks, Imanaga, Wicks, Smyly
RP - Almonte, Alzolay, Cuas, Leiter, Little, Merryweather, Neris, Palencia
C - Gomes, Amaya
IF - Busch, Cooper, Hoerner, Mastrobuoni, Morel, Swanson
OF - Bellinger, Canario, Happ, Suzuki, Tauchman

10-day IL - Taillon, Madrigal, Wisdom

60-day IL - Kilian

Optioned - Arias, Assad, Brown, Hodge, K Thompson, Wesneski, Alcantara, PCA, Davis, Mervis, Vazquez

I'd personally rather see Assad in the opening day rotation, with Smyly in the bullpen and Palencia getting some time to work at AAA. But, Assad has had a rough spring, the team seems bound and determined to keep Smyly as a starter and Wicks has been too good.

The Cubs better release their Japanese garbage before shit starts to hit the fan. Ohtani should be banned from baseball and Yamamoto was absolutely horrendous this morning.

• Angry
Reactions: NewVicHawkeye
I like Assad in the rotation. He's versatile, and has a good mix of pitches. He's a guy that should get you through the opponents line up twice when he starts, and with the start of the season having built in off days this shouldn't be long term. Smyly from the pen gives one lefty, in a role he proved to be effective at last season. Unless Little makes the squad you need to have one left down in the pen.

tumblr_n7edilpQoX1tr6yqoo3_500.gif

Steele, Hendricks ... and then

Interestingly enough the starting staff is homegrown, somewhat. Hendricks was traded for and developed with no MLB experience. Assad, Wicks, and Steele are homegrown. Shota... Well, squint and you can see an international FA as being homegrown. Squint hard and you can see it.

I dusted off my MLB app today. All refreshed and ready to go. Just waiting for some more baseball after the Dodgers and Padres kicked things off.

Reactions: hawkifann
Other than which relievers make it and who starts on IL, it seems the last 40-man rosterquestions come down to Carl Edwards Jr and David Peralta.

Other than which relievers make it and who starts on IL, it seems the last 40-man rosterquestions come down to Carl Edwards Jr and David Peralta.
Keeping Cooper meant sending Canario down. Yes, he hits lefties well, or did in the past, anyway. I’m disappointed to keep a 33 year old just because you kind of have to, and you know you have options in Canario. Cooper can DH and play a marginal 1B. So, does he stay when Wisdom comes back?

Reactions: TheCainer
Keeping Cooper meant sending Canario down. Yes, he hits lefties well, or did in the past, anyway. I’m disappointed to keep a 33 year old just because you kind of have to, and you know you have options in Canario. Cooper can DH and play a marginal 1B. So, does he stay when Wisdom comes back?
Wisdom/Madrigal will be the next logjam to solve.

I am anxious to feel how Steele feels today after the adrenaline has worn off, and he's had a night to sleep on that big bruise.

Wisdom/Madrigal will be the next logjam to solve.
Such an unavoidable problem. Jed has just been too slow to pull the trigger, plain and simple. Kilian, Wisdom and Madrigal have all been obvious trade bait since well before their injuries. None of them have a long-term future with the Cubs. Now, instead of having some more decent mid-level prospects in the system and room on the 40-man, we have a glut of injured players doing not much more than taking up space, and are now worth fringe prospects at best. I feel like Jed has the attitude of "I acquired these guys, and by-golly, I'm bound and determined to make sure they are great players for the Cubs so everyone sees what a genius I am...."

Such an unavoidable problem. Jed has just been too slow to pull the trigger, plain and simple. Kilian, Wisdom and Madrigal have all been obvious trade bait since well before their injuries. None of them have a long-term future with the Cubs. Now, instead of having some more decent mid-level prospects in the system and room on the 40-man, we have a glut of injured players doing not much more than taking up space, and are now worth fringe prospects at best. I feel like Jed has the attitude of "I acquired these guys, and by-golly, I'm bound and determined to make sure they are great players for the Cubs so everyone sees what a genius I am...."
Disagree on Kilian, but agree on the other two. Kilian wasn’t really tradeable and i was confident that what we were seeing this spring was still in there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT