ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 thread*****

Madrigal is on the roster. I think this has more to do with Canario getting regular ABs. When Wisdom comes back someone might be cut free or traded. Canario only comes up due to an outfielder getting injured at this point.
100%. Canario played less than 2 months last season coming off that hideous injury. I have no issue with him going down for regular play for a while.

Imanaga was really dominating this spring training with a ERA of 5.68. Jordan Montgomery is looking better everyday.

Boras has had a bad offseason.
Maybe, but getting $25 million for one year isn't shabby. Plus, I know Bellinger and Snell got raises and opt-outs. Yes, definitely not the long-term deals he was expecting, but they all could go through the same process again after this year.

Maybe, but getting $25 million for one year isn't shabby. Plus, I know Bellinger and Snell got raises and opt-outs. Yes, definitely not the long-term deals he was expecting, but they all could go through the same process again after this year.
Fair enough, but they will all be one year older and going through the same process. For all of his bluster and repeated statements that multiple teams were in the running with big offers most of his guys got glorified 1-2 year deals, not the 6-8 year deals worth $150-200 million.

Cubs get shafted on calls all night and then umped ****s up and Cubs get a run on a foul ball called a wild pitch

😎

Cubs catch a break ... foul ball not called and Belly scores all the way from 2nd. Cubs lead by 1 headed to the bottom of the 9th.

So, an extra bullpen arm until Steele's next start, and then you go with Brown or Wesneski? I don't like Smyly as much as a starter, but he could pitch in there. I guess it depends on what the MRI reveals.

So, an extra bullpen arm until Steele's next start, and then you go with Brown or Wesneski? I don't like Smyly as much as a starter, but he could pitch in there. I guess it depends on what the MRI reveals.
My vote would be for Brown or Wesneski to get the (hopefully) 2-3 starts until Steele is back in the rotation. Smyly will get starts this year, but I’d look for him to take those times when a guy is a late scratch or is going to miss one start but doesn’t need an IL stint.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
What has Wesneski done to earn a spot in the rotation? I understand wanting to keep Smyly in the pen, but Wesneski doesn’t seem like a great option.

Reactions: darylhawk
What has Wesneski done to earn a spot in the rotation? I understand wanting to keep Smyly in the pen, but Wesneski doesn’t seem like a great option.
I am definitely hoping Brown gets the crack at it before Wesneski, as Wes just hasn't figured out how to get lefties out consistently. Unless whoever the start is against has no lefties my vote goes to Brown.

Reactions: win1forthe
I would go Brown first, but they’re both going to start games this year at some point. Wesneski’s stuff is still there and Counsell seems to be a believer.

Reactions: win1forthe
I'm not linking it, but if you have the time go over to BCB and read Al Yellon's piece about how the Cubs should postpone opening day now, versus waiting until Monday. Unless there is a shift, the weather is going to be terrible, so why not shift the game to Thursday when both teams have an off day? With the new schedules this is the only time the Rockies visit Wrigley, and trying to cram in a make up day later on just increases travel for the teams.

Reactions: TheCainer
I'm not linking it, but if you have the time go over to BCB and read Al Yellon's piece about how the Cubs should postpone opening day now, versus waiting until Monday. Unless there is a shift, the weather is going to be terrible, so why not shift the game to Thursday when both teams have an off day? With the new schedules this is the only time the Rockies visit Wrigley, and trying to cram in a make up day later on just increases travel for the teams.
Probably not the worst call. Looks like Dodgers series is supposed to have decent weather, so maybe some of the worst can roll out.

BN article on who is in Des Moines this year. I thought Shaw might land there, but he'll start in AA. He was pushed pretty hard last season, so it's fine to start him in AA and let him get a little more seasoning before coming up to AAA.
No Cade Horton, which I anticipated given the terrible Spring weather cities the I-Cubs begin the season in. My guess is Horton stays in Arizona for a few weeks.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2024/03/29/iowa-cubs-announce-roster-ahead-of-opening-night/

Reactions: hawkifann
BN article on who is in Des Moines this year. I thought Shaw might land there, but he'll start in AA. He was pushed pretty hard last season, so it's fine to start him in AA and let him get a little more seasoning before coming up to AAA.
No Cade Horton, which I anticipated given the terrible Spring weather cities the I-Cubs begin the season in. My guess is Horton stays in Arizona for a few weeks.
https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2024/03/29/iowa-cubs-announce-roster-ahead-of-opening-night/
I think that’s been the plan all along in order to limit his workload. He threw 53 innings his last year of college (his only collegiate innings after injuries) and then threw 89 innings last year. They’ll want to bump him 40-50 innings per year as long as he’s healthy and performing, which should put him on the 120-130 target range this year. The Cubs are also not going to want to have to shut him down in-season like the Nats famously did with Stephen Strasburg in the middle of a pennant race back in like 2012….so start him in extended spring with a minor league assignment coming in late April, maybe early May, get him stretched out and then let him go - and I think he’ll be available for whatever his results warrant.

If he struggles and needs this year in the minors, that’s not a big worry, but if he continues on the track he was on last season, there will probably come a time this year where the Cubs decide not to waste those bullets in the minors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT