ADVERTISEMENT

**** OFFICIAL IOWA VS. GONZAGA GAME DAY THREAD ****

Not Hawks' fault who they played. But game in last round didn't help any in preparations. Davidson on par with Rutgers.

Remember, Zags had 19pt lead vs NDSU in 2nd half, they got it within 6pts with 5 mins to go.

It's anyone's game. Still feel this comes down to last possessoon.

Wiltjer's foul trouble is key. He's cooled off & he can be streaky.

I repeated time after time, the Zags one clear-cut advantage is center in Karnowski.

I've actually watched Iowa all season, hell, I'm a Gopher season ticket holder.

I'm telling you again, Zags don't play well with a lead.

Iowa will tie this game at some point yet sticking with my initial prediction on this board. A 6 pt win.

How many points does Gonzaga score? 100? 110? 120? What bothers me the most is the number of dunks Iowa has given up.

This really isn't a big surprise. Iowa struggles against teams with a good big man, especially bigs who are strong.

People on here were vastly underrating the Zags. They are a much better team than Iowa. They might have better players at every position. Very good team. Play good D and offensively can score inside/outside. For Iowa to win the Zags needed to play their C game, like they did last game, and Iowa needed to play their A game.

Zags shooting 62%. Not going to beat them when they're hot like that.

This post was edited on 3/22 7:17 PM by Mohawkeye

Originally posted by Mitch122:
I think we just lost this game these last two minutes of the half. Had a chance to get it to single digits

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Unfortunately, I agree. Iowa looked like they just wanted to get off the court that last 2-3 minutes. They have mailed it in. Should be a pretty pathetic 2nd half. Oh well, I am still proud of this team.

Originally posted by HawkeyeDenny:
I dont think Tom Arnold on Meth is going to help change anything...
ROTFL
roll.r191677.gif

Why does iowa keep double teaming them. Minus wiltjer no reason to. We double and have been routinely getting beat as they pass out of it and find a guy who is uncontested making the wide open shot. Plus gabe and woody are hedging way to far out and have rotated poorly. Desperately need to change def approach if we want to chip away at this lead.

Originally posted by baldwinzag:
Remember, Zags had 19pt lead vs NDSU in 2nd half, they got it within 6pts with 5 mins to go.

It's anyone's game. Still feel this comes down to last possessoon.

Wiltjer's foul trouble is key. He's cooled off & he can be streaky.

I repeated time after time, the Zags one clear-cut advantage is center in Karnowski.

I've actually watched Iowa all season, hell, I'm a Gopher season ticket holder.

I'm telling you again, Zags don't play well with a lead.

Iowa will tie this game at some point yet sticking with my initial prediction on this board. A 6 pt win.
You are being way to pessimistic as a Gonzaga fan. This game is over. Iowa was uninterested the last couple minutes and have packed it in. Its disappointing, but Gonzaga is way better than Iowa is and deserves every bit of it.

We're going to need some 3's from Oglesby and Jok, but with neither able to hang onto the ball, I'm not sure that will happen. Not going to catch up on 2's alone. Uthoff's going to have to go off!

Originally posted by PhantomFlyer:
How many points does Gonzaga score? 100? 110? 120? What bothers me the most is the number of dunks Iowa has given up.

This really isn't a big surprise. Iowa struggles against teams with a good big man, especially bigs who are strong.

People on here were vastly underrating the Zags. They are a much better team than Iowa. They might have better players at every position. Very good team. Play good D and offensively can score inside/outside. For Iowa to win the Zags needed to play their C game, like they did last game, and Iowa needed to play their A game.
Exactly.
The only chance Iowa had was for gonzaga to be off. If Iowa plays their best game and gonzaga theirs, then 'zaga wins. It would be closer, but they win.
If you have what we saw in the first half with them in the B+ to A- range and Iowa in the C- range, well then it's not just a loss but a thumping.

The defense has been the most disappointing aspect so far. Can't complain too much about the outside shooting since IA seems to be challenging them (aside from a few open looks). They're just hot. No excuse for them getting the ball down low almost at will, the open back door cuts, etc.

Not sure what Fran should do...

1. Drive it and force them to foul - especially Wilijter (sp?)
2. Maybe the best chance is to force them to shoot outside & hope they go cold (62% can't continue)
3. Try to get White some looks down low & in the flow of the offense
4. Keep going to Uthoff, he's the one guy they don't seem to have an answer for.
5. Need to have Jok get going. He's capable of shooting us back into this game.
6. If Jok doesn't get going right away, maybe the Gesell & Clemmons combo seemed to work.

Not many good or easy answers.

Loved the pep talk by Tom Arnold! Ottumwa, IA's best (which isn't saying much). Going down to Ottumwa next weekend as a matter of fact. My wife's hometown. My brother-in-law knew Arnold a bit, same age/grade in HS.

Originally posted by Mohawkeye:
Says shooting 62%. Not going to beat them when they're hot like that.
My worst fears--- we get blown out. Good thing I didn't go up to Seattle to see this.

Ouch. Our defense looks like a joke and we've been a good defensive team this year. Just looks a lot like us playing Wisconsin...Wisconsin was bigger, more skilled. Gonzaga looks to be the same.

Hopefully Whitey will have a good 2nd half and go out feeling he played well. This game looks to be over barring Gonzaga meltdown.

I know we're losing but I've basically spent the last few pages with 9 of every 10 posts being the likes of "we're getting outplayed and have little to no chance of winning" or "it's over" or something pessimistic to that effect.

We get it.

Read the board and thank you for not repeating what 20 other people have already said, and repeated themselves.......................................................just sayin, Iowa football board.
indifferent.r191677.gif

Congrats on a good season Hawkeyes. First NCAA tourney win in 14 years. Hoping this game would at least be close and fun to watch but just completely overmatched. Oh well. It was a pretty good season.

Iowa needs to hit some three s. Frickin team makes some stupid turnovers. this isn't high school Jok Man up and grow a sack.

Just time to let it go fellas. No more bitching and complaining from me. Yes, we are going to lose, yes, we are probably going to get pounded. I am just going to sit back, relax amd enjoy watching hawkeye basketball game for one last half tyis season. Maybe they will do a little something to end the game to atleast end this run and year with a little sweeter taste. Good luck to white, olaseni, amd oglesby and whatever their futures hold. Thanks for being great hawkeyes.

Well, I have not given up on this game yet. There is another half to play, and there are a lot of areas Iowa can improve on.

In 1996 Iowa was down 17 in the 2nd half to George Washington, I remember I was 10 years old and I cried during that game because I thought Iowa was for sure going to lose. They came back and won.....

Congrats on a good season Hawkeyes. First NCAA tourney win in 14 years. Hoping this game would at least be close and fun to watch but just completely overmatched. Oh well. It was a pretty good season."

I REALLY hate to go there, yet Zags had a 17 pt lead in 2nd half vs UCLA to advance to Elite 8 & lost down stretch.

This game will come down To the end.

I feel it.

My predictions aren't wrong. 6 pt win either way.

I don't think Iowa is mailing it in, but as brilliant as Fran's game plan was vs Davidson, the game plan vs Gonzaga is absolutely not working.

Hopefully Gonzaga cools down and Iowa can make a game of this. Good season by Hawks.

Originally posted by greenelite:
Woody NEEDS to stop with the hedging bullshit. These bigs are too skilled on the slip.

Well it isn't just Woody as Gabe is doing the exact same thing bc that is how Iowa teaches and plays D. Hard to blame Woody for doing what he is taught and told to do.

Uthoff and/or White need to touch the ball on every single possession and no one should pass the ball to Woodbury or Jok unless absolutely necessary. 2 guard play has been pathetic tonight. Clemmons and Gessell on the floor at the same time is a good thing tonight.

Got a shot, but not unless Olie plays every single minute. It's been same deal all year. Needs to be on the floor. He's a senior, he's going to play hard, he doesn't want to go out like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT