ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA vs. Oregon Game Thread*****

I like the benches energy and effort, but I have no idea who steps up to score next year.

Thank you for everything Luka, Jordan, and maybe Weezy. Loved watching you all as Hawks and wish nothing but the best for you after Iowa, wherever that may be

Yes, I don't doubt their heart/effort. I think they were mismanaged, but in the end...there is only so far you can go if you can't play any defense.

Reactions: Nohawknamesleft
Well lady’s and gentlemen... it’s been REAL.. what a season- ummmmm the regular season was ok.. signing off the BB board until 2098... when Iowa wins the BT tournament... off to the football board moving forward as this just took the life out of me ..

Iowa will be better, MUCH better, on defense without Luka next year. Love his offense but he gets Iowa killed every time he either switches on a screen or gets hung up in between. No recovery ability.

This is true, but Garza has bailed them out all year on the offensive side w/ power moves in the post or last second 3pt'ers........Who on this roster will fill that role next year? I'm not seeing it.

They'll be .500 in the conference next year - if they're lucky.

This is true, but Garza has bailed them out all year on the offensive side w/ power moves in the post or last second 3pt'ers........Who on this roster will fill that role next year? I'm not seeing it.

They'll be .500 in the conference next year - if they're lucky.
BIG OOOOOOO!

I like the benches energy and effort, but I have no idea who steps up to score next year.
We're going to need Murray, PMAc, and CJ to come up big if we want to have any shot at playing in this thing again next year.

Reactions: Moral
Iowa may be better, but it won't be because Garza's gone. It will be because JBo's defense is gone (will miss his shooting against less athletic teams, though), CJ Nunge are completely healthy, and the all of the freshmen progress significantly, including Patrick. Connor can't see minutes against athletic squad's, either, unless he somehow develops some scoring ability. Just can't afford to be playing 4 on 5.

It also wouldn't hurt if Sandfort could come in as a young Joe W clone since it seems Joe W is gone. Iowa needs to snag a couple more recruits to replace Bohannon and Joe W, probably transfers unless by some miracle that kid from Minnesota commits to Iowa. Definitely need athletic shooters who can play defense, either wings or guards.

I highly doubt Iowa will be better. Fredrick needs to get his act together and be an alpha dog. If Weezy skips out, Sandfort is going to be a poor sub. With No post offense, Iowa will not get the 3pt looks they got this year.

Anyone saying team is better because no Garza is silly.

B1G is garbage league, got way overrated and bought into it....every team read their headlines and weren't ready.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Pathetic at best. That was shitty preparation and sounded like they had no fight the whole game. So sure sign Fran til 2028. This team was not that good and the layed down on the last game.

Same. Wonder if we went over to jbo and told him thanks for all the help this game.

JBo is such a liability in a game against a team that has this kind of offensive firepower.

As much as I hate playing the slow you down and mug you teams... There's a rest we beat Wisconsin 3 times this year.

And Wisconsin sucks.

To summarize the season, we watched a Legend play a full season, but they and the B1G were overrated.

missing have LAST years tourney experience really sucks when you think about it.

Reactions: skydog0784
Makes you feel like...."oh hey Iowa is a 2 seed, let's eff them over and put Oregon in their path".

ZERO luck with our draw

Yup. Hell, every team that got matched up with an underseeded PAC12 team got screwed this year. I hope they rely more on analytics when seeding teams in the future.

Only prob
Time for some
FOOTBALL
atleast they finish strong
problem with that is they lose a couple and are out of the hunt in the first half of the season more times than not. Just Iowa sports never win the big games and usually play like s***.

Reactions: jonesyhawk982
I highly doubt Iowa will be better. Fredrick needs to get his act together and be an alpha dog. If Weezy skips out, Sandfort is going to be a poor sub. With No post offense, Iowa will not get the 3pt looks they got this year.

Anyone saying team is better because no Garza is silly.

B1G is garbage league, got way overrated and bought into it....every team read their headlines and weren't ready.

I agree, I don't think the team will be better without Garza. If the team was going to be better I think I laid out the way it would have to happen. I'm not sure, though, that there won't be a post presence. It depends on if Nunge is healthy and can come back at least as good as he was this year. But that's a stretch to count on that.

Next year's team will be really young if Joe W doesn't come back so there will probably be growing pains unless some really talented transfers are interested in Iowa. Could happen, I guess. Plenty of time to bullshit about next year now.

It would be great if CJ could get through a year without injury. Include Nunge in that wish, too.
Things will look the same as long as we have the same head coach and assistants. They recruit the same type of players with same abilities. The players this year could shoot 3s until they came up against a good defensive team. Luckily they had Garza. Next year don't have any expectations about making the NCAA'S because they won't have the talent to do it and sure won't have the coaching.

Athletic guards... It's the name of the damn game.

Teams with great guards make runs in the tournament.
Yep. I made a post about this earlier in the year in terms of championship teams’ MVP’s. Elite PG’s on almost all of them. Bohannon, Fredrick and McCaffery didn’t score today. It’s obviously disappointing, but as a silver lining, Ulis, Toussaint, and Perkins all got some great tournament experience, and tough two way players like those are the ones who may be able to lead a run down the line

Reactions: longliveCS40
CJF 0 points
CMac 0 points
JBo 0 points

That's really the bottom line.
CJ has an excuse.

Connor and Jordan were shut down because they are athletically limited, and in Connor's case, goes out of his way to do nothing in high profile games to provide scoring.

Once the word was out on Jordan that he couldn't move around, all a team needed was a guard that could do this for 40 minutes on defense and Jordan was toast:

tenor.gif

Connor may be a good passer, and may have a basketball mind, but he cannot go on the court anymore. At least not at a level where you're starting him against other athletic teams and telling people you want to compete for championships in the same breath.

And yes thats the truth. Go watch this game repeatedly if you need more proof.

Things will look the same as long as we have the same head coach and assistants. They recruit the same type of players with same abilities. The players this year could shoot 3s until they came up against a good defensive team. Luckily they had Garza. Next year don't have any expectations about making the NCAA'S because they won't have the talent to do it and sure won't have the coaching.
They'll make the NCAAs. We'll just go back to our usual spot as a 7-10 seed.

CJ has an excuse.

Connor and Jordan were shut down because they are athletically limited, and in Connor's case, goes out of his way to do nothing in high profile games to provide scoring.

Once the word was out on Jordan that he couldn't move around, all a team needed was a guard that could do this for 40 minutes on defense and Jordan was toast:

tenor.gif

Connor may be a good passer, and may have a basketball mind, but he cannot go on the court anymore. At least not at a level where you're starting him against other athletic teams and telling people you want to compete for championships in the same breath.

I agree. Someone should clue Fran in on this very clear information.

CJ has an excuse.

tenor.gif

What was CJ’s excuse? He passed up open shot after open shot and finished the game with three total attempts. With Connor already unable to score and Bohannon being shut down, you can’t be passing up open threes

Yep. I made a post about this earlier in the year in terms of championship teams’ MVP’s. Elite PG’s on almost all of them. Bohannon, Fredrick and McCaffery didn’t score today. It’s obviously disappointing, but as a silver lining, Ulis, Toussaint, and Perkins all got some great tournament experience, and tough two way players like those are the ones who may be able to lead a run down the line

I hope you're right. I'm disappointed so probably thinking too negatively right now but their offensive output just worries me. Now, they haven't had a chance to play much, aside from Joe T, to improve offensively so that could be all there is to it.

I hope they make strides offensively and we get some surprising output from the incoming freshman. Keegan is going to have to continue to improve and might well have to be the focal point next year if Weezy leaves.

I think it will be a frustrating season next year but I'm hopeful they are better than I think and it leads to another great team 2 years from now when we have upperclassmen.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
What was CJ’s excuse? He passed up open shot after open shot and finished the game with three total attempts. With Connor already unable to score and Bohannon being shut down, you can’t be passing up open threes
His foot is clearly still an issue and either clearly affects his shot, or has created a mental hitch in his shot and CJ became reluctant and opted to be a facilitator on offense rather than a liability as a shooter.

Unfortunately, given what Fran said, they probably would've been better off playing the bench and getting them experience rather than letting CJ, and Connor apparently, gut out injuries that greatly hindered their ability to play.

That's on Fran and staff.....

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Nunge, Fredrick, Ogandele, Kris/Keegan Murray, Patrick, Ulis, Tony, Joe T, Sanford, that's 10 players that will be back next year. 3 scholarships to fill yet, unfortunately not too keen on the coaching staff to upgrade the roster from the players already named.
From this point on if Fran and his coaching staff uses the zone for more then a few minutes a game this Iowa team will never be more then a afterthought in the Big Ten.

I hope you're right. I'm disappointed so probably thinking too negatively right now but their offensive output just worries me. Now, they haven't had a chance to play much, aside from Joe T, to improve offensively so that could be all there is to it.

I hope they make strides offensively and we get some surprising output from the incoming freshman. Keegan is going to have to continue to improve and might well have to be the focal point next year if Weezy leaves.

I think it will be a frustrating season next year but I'm hopeful they are better than I think and it leads to another great team 2 years from now when we have upperclassmen.
Perkins has flashed offensively multiple times this season, Toussaint is capable of creating for teammates, and we don’t really know what Ulis is capable of because he hasn’t looked to shoot. When these guys are responsible for generating points for the Hawks, I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised at what they can do. Patrick belongs from an athleticism perspective as well as Keegan and Kris.

We may not be be a Sweet 16 team next year or ever under Fran, but at a minimum, it won’t be because teams are too athletic for us

Reactions: longliveCS40
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT