ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

It's only beneath him because of the current state of the HWC. If he had a stable of serious world team contenders to coach and a decent salary, it's a perfectly suitable job for him to step into. He gets to dip his toes into coaching without the rigor of the college recruiting schedule.

DT spent the last 5 years running a youth club and we're going to pretend Spencer coaching senior level athletes (and all the college guys out of season) is somehow beneath him?

It's beneath him because being on a college staff is 100% a better job. It has nothing to do with club performance.

DT ran a business. That's a different animal all together.

It's beneath him because being on a college staff is 100% a better job. It has nothing to do with club performance.

Again, this was suggested as an alternative to a staff position at Iowa immediately. And tell me Bassett, et al wouldn't be attracted to Spencer running HWC? These blue chip recruits are already focused on 2028.

Being President is a better job than a staff wrestling position also. All of this conjecture was promised on Spencer retiring after the Olympics.

Regarding the Morninstar comment...why didn't Iowa put him on staff right after graduation? We are talking about Iowa. Why is he relegated to basically recruiting?

I get it, a staff job is 100% better. So, still, what jobs are beneath him? Should we assume you think he should be Head Coach at Iowa next year. I mean, that's 100% better than assistant, no?

Why is it a "better" job? If he gets paid the same while having more freedom and far less work, is it actually a worse job?

We've seen several high profile assistants switch to being the RTC coach in the last several years after having "better" D1 assistant jobs - Perry, Varner, Gross. There are other huge names leading RTCs too - Cross, Belaglozov, Kalika, Slay, etc...All those guys could have D1 assistant jobs if they wanted.

You're telling me David Bolyard - assistant at Michigan - has a better job than Sergei Belaglozov - head of their RTC?

Regarding the Morninstar comment...why didn't Iowa put him on staff right after graduation? We are talking about Iowa. Why is he relegated to basically recruiting?

Ummm...what?

Also don't you dare force me into defending Ryan Morningstar.

Clearly Tom or Dennis aren't attracting non-Iowa wrestlers to the HWC like NLWC is. Maybe Spencer can do that. Also Spencer is the only person Tom would likely trust to relinquish control of HWC. Everyone says Tom is busy preparing Spencer for Olympics, what is Dennis doing? I know DT is running camps and practicing, at least according to X

Last edited:
Don't forget DT was also a mentor to the NLWC while winning multiple world championships. What a waste of his previous time! Not.

Reactions: tom_v31
Why is it a "better" job? If he gets paid the same while having more freedom and far less work, is it actually a worse job?

We've seen several high profile assistants switch to being the RTC coach in the last several years after having "better" D1 assistant jobs - Perry, Varner, Gross. There are other huge names leading RTCs too - Cross, Belaglozov, Kalika, Slay, etc...All those guys could have D1 assistant jobs if they wanted.

You're telling me David Bolyard - assistant at Michigan - has a better job than Sergei Belaglozov - head of their RTC?
Totally agree. Building a successful youth program gets you a head job at OSU but building a successful HWC (that actually helps recruiting) is beneath Spencer. If it's a money thing Spooner, that's the easiest problem to solve. I'm sure the salary difference is not that big between staff and HWC especially when you consider compliance and endorsements.

Don't forget DT was also a mentor to the NLWC while winning multiple world championships. What a waste of his previous time! Not.

Not at all. But he was also running a business. Apples to turnips comparison.

At the end of the day, if it's a job Spencer wants, by all means--it feels like it would be great for the HWC.

I know Tom is Head of HWC. You're brilliant but we are envisioning a world where HE would take over that role. But you think it's beneath Spencer to take over a role Tom currently holds.

I know Tom is Head of HWC. You're brilliant but we are envisioning a world where HE would take over that role. But you think it's beneath Spencer to take over a role Tom currently holds.

LOL c'mon...you can't be serious...you were doing so much better with an assist from js...stick to that.

Last edited:
Wasn’t it posted on here a year ago or so, that Spencer signed a 10 year contract with the hwc? I guess if indeed that was the case, I assume his intention is two Olympics win it or not. I will also add I doubt he has any thoughts of losing this one. He just wants two golds. Go get it kid!!!

Wasn’t it posted on here a year ago or so, that Spencer signed a 10 year contract with the hwc? I guess if indeed that was the case, I assume his intention is two Olympics win it or not. I will also add I doubt he has any thoughts of losing this one. He just wants two golds. Go get it kid!!!
He signed through the 2028 Olympics, Tom is signed through the 2029 season.
Terry and M* are signed through 2026 season.

Last edited:
LOL c'mon...you can't be serious...you were doing so much better with an assist from js...stick to that.
Except JS's assist was basically putting an exclamation point on most of what I already said (and thanks for chiming in against stupidity, JS). You, on the other hand, have offered nothing except "that job is beneath" Spencer. For someone who claims they have I brain, I suggest you start looking for it.

He signed through the 2028 Olympics, Tom is signed through the 2029 season.
Terry and M* are signed through 2026 season.
I didn’t realize assistants had more than single year contracts.

I don’t think that is the case anywhere else or even any other sport.

So if Tom gets fired, the new head coach would have to keep the assistants because they are still under contract?

Seems like a bad thing!

Not calling for a change, I like our guys!!!
Just don’t think it’s a good idea to extend assistants contacts beyond a year. Up to the head coach to renew… just my thoughts though.

• Haha
Reactions: snotknockerhawk
Sounds like it’s time for Spooner and HerkHawl to make their way under a bridge. I’m in PA so can’t make a location suggestion.
Nah, I'm good. I just hate when people make reasonable comments or statements and a few blowhards who think they're close to the program feel the need to tell you their truth or how ridiculous your comment was. This all started because I stated that perhaps Spencer taking over the Head Coach/Director job might allow him the experience to grow his coaching skills while learning administrative skills to one day possibly leading the Program or landing an AD-ish role, assuming he wins Gold and shuts it down. Spooner felt the need to say how ridiculous that is because the jobs beneath him, without considering all the other benefits something like that would provide.

I would never meet him under a bridge, he'd have homefield advantage!

Nah, I'm good. I just hate when people make reasonable comments or statements and a few blowhards who think they're close to the program feel the need to tell you their truth or how ridiculous your comment was. This all started because I stated that perhaps Spencer taking over the Head Coach/Director job might allow him the experience to grow his coaching skills while learning administrative skills to one day possibly leading the Program or landing an AD-ish role, assuming he wins Gold and shuts it down. Spooner felt the need to say how ridiculous that is because the jobs beneath him, without considering all the other benefits something like that would provide.

I would never meet him under a bridge, he'd have homefield advantage!
Maybe draw a larger crowd under a covered bridge in Madison county. Wives might be on board for the match.

Is the speculation that we are still on schedule to get 2 grad transfers come August? Teemer and was the other ever revealed? What were the clue's on that other transfer? Grad transfer from West of us? Was there any other clues?

Is the speculation that we are still on schedule to get 2 grad transfers come August? Teemer and was the other ever revealed? What were the clue's on that other transfer? Grad transfer from West of us? Was there any other clues?
I will guess Teemer and Buchanan
Loop Trump GIF
Surpised nobody picked up on my smiley face.

BTW - no Aug 1 portal for grad transfers. Free to leave as long as grades in order.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT