ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

what's your point? (i'm not being a sarcastic. sincerely).

what's wrong with this?
It’s guilt by association Smalls. You know about Mineo’s abhorrent behavior on this board and ANY association with him is going to be met with harsh criticism.

Moving on, I’ve met you and still remember you slapping my broken clavicle in Pittsburgh. Do you think it hurt Iowa’s chances of getting Truax and Nagao once the offers were made public and confirmed?

Reactions: smalls103
i remember slapping your broken clavicle! it was in that bar across the street from arena, correct? i believe i was talking to the Bowlsby family.

as far as the response - the point was not to stick up for mineo, but to confirm the facts. and i have the offer in a text message.

no, i do not think the offer being made public in either case (i don't even remember the nagao offer/situation) changed anything. Bernie, by his own admission, said he grew up a Penn State fan and is apparently from a well-off family.

Nagao said 'god'.

i don't know how the offers being public (was nagao's even public?) would have changed anything. (and in neither case was i the one that 'leaked it').

frankly i don't think it's a mystery. if this nil era existed in the gable era would anyone question why kids chose Iowa more frequently (or for less money) than anyone/anywhere else?

Reactions: Inthecircle
Just who in the hell are you referring to as many? The #11 seed Cooper Flynn who went 1-2 at NCAA’s and lost his last two matches to Camacho the #7 seed who went 2-2 at NCAA’s.
You’re grasping at straws.

whoa, whoa TYPO! (went out to lunch and came back to fire, sheeesh)

Meant to say "man," - i edited it.

i remember slapping your broken clavicle! it was in that bar across the street from arena, correct? i believe i was talking to the Bowlsby family.

as far as the response - the point was not to stick up for mineo, but to confirm the facts. and i have the offer in a text message.

no, i do not think the offer being made public in either case (i don't even remember the nagao offer/situation) changed anything. Bernie, by his own admission, said he grew up a Penn State fan and is apparently from a well-off family.

Nagao said 'god'.

i don't know how the offers being public (was nagao's even public?) would have changed anything. (and in neither case was i the one that 'leaked it').

frankly i don't think it's a mystery. if this nil era existed in the gable era would anyone question why kids chose Iowa more frequently (or for less money) than anyone/anywhere else?
Your last comment is very fair and accurate.

Reactions: vhsalum
even if all that is true (it's not) what you want and what is best for your program is not my problem.

i'm not a PR arm for anyone. i'm not beholden to what Tom, or Cael, or Tom Ryan, or David Taylor wants or prefers like some other people i know.

if the staff thinks that leaked/confirmed numbers hurt the perception of the program then maybe they should tighten up their breadcrumbs. i'm of the opinion that they WANT it out there, because the alternative is that they are reckless and i don't believe that to be true.

ultimately, it's not "Willie-Does-This-To-Iowa-Because-He-Hates-Them". i do it because it's news, it's interesting (and an interesting era in our sport) and because the information is readily available.
So the other guy does it because he's just a doosh, you do it because you're just too lazy to look for verifiable info on other programs. Got it.

Nagao said 'god'.

Indeed that was the place. I was ready to go takedowns right there! But alas..,,old, grey and broken

I believe the Nagao numbers were public at $300,000.

No it wouldn’t have made a difference in the Gable era. As Iowa fans we want those days back and any perceived notion of this being prevented is going to met with skepticism.

In the current landscape we have to remain relevant.

Last edited:
So the other guy does it because he's just a doosh, you do it because you're just too lazy to look for verifiable info on other programs. Got it.
do what, exactly?

you can't even produce the Iowa offers i reported. so what is it that i do that offends you?

Buchanan and.....?

do what, exactly?

you can't even produce the Iowa offers i reported. so what is it that i do that offends you?

Buchanan and.....?
When PSU or Michigan land a guy in the portal, you make the story about PSU or Michigan landing a guy in the portal.

When Iowa lands SB, the story isn't that Iowa landed SB, you make the story that Iowa is paying him $500k.

Hoping you can see the distinction there.

this was the initial tweet.

and if you think 500k for one semester isn't an interesting part of the story you're lying to yourself.

Reactions: vhsalum
I am still struggling to see how Iowa's offer of $500k to Buchanan and Teemer is a bad thing.. To me it is a gigantic flashing sign saying "Elite transfers, come here to get paid". Additionally, paying for elite transfer does not mean that there is no money to build out the RTC and NIL deals for elite recruits. It is honestly loser mentality to think that Iowa (the biggest name in college wrestling) is uncapable of building out the RTC and paying NIL money to recruits and transfers while other programs like Michigan and PSU are able to do it.
You don't think it's a "bad thing" that it takes half a million dollars to entice kids to wrestle at Iowa for a semester?

Sure, it's a "good thing" that the money is available, and being paid. It's far from a "good thing" that it takes so much money to get these kids on the team.

this was the initial tweet.

and if you think 500k for one semester isn't an interesting part of the story you're lying to yourself.
That's my point. The dollar amounts only seem to be "an interesting part of the story" when it comes to Iowa's portal recruiting. For some reason those $$$ amounts suddenly become much less interesting when it's PSU or Michigan.

Without knowing how deep the pockets are of the program, I think one could argue that money would be better spent on elite high school prospects that will be around 4-5 years. And if they can do both, great.
These things are not and should not be mutually exclusive for Iowa. Pay elite transfers to plug holes and pay elite high school kids.

You don't think it's a "bad thing" that it takes half a million dollars to entice kids to wrestle at Iowa for a semester?

Sure, it's a "good thing" that the money is available, and being paid. It's far from a "good thing" that it takes so much money to get these kids on the team.
If you are insinuating that Iowa is having to pay significantly more for elite transfer than other teams would have to, I do not believe that to be true.

That's my point. The dollar amounts only seem to be "an interesting part of the story" when it comes to Iowa's portal recruiting. For some reason those $$$ amounts suddenly become much less interesting when it's PSU or Michigan.
no. it's not your point. your point was that i 'always cite iowa offers'. it was one time. yesterday.

the dollar amounts are interesting every single time. it's a brave new world we're in in college wrestling.

on shows i talked about the possibilities and rumors of dozens of transfers.

you're just whining to whine. 'everyone is out to get iowa'. i know what Kueter got. I know what Real got. I know what Arnold got. I know, literally, what took place in Carver 2 hrs ago. if i was out to get iowa there would be more than a stephen buchanan tweet.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT