ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

I think you guys are way too sensitive on this topic, at least when it come to @smalls103 . Maybe I'm biased because I consider him a friend, but this isn't a Mineo situation, imo. Mineo is openly antagonistic to Iowa and often wrong. Willie is rarely wrong and is more antagonistic to people who come at him. Plus I'm pretty sure that his description is entirely accurate, this is the first time he's put out hard numbers, and it's about a guy that is apparently already committed to Iowa, not "Iowa is offering this huge number and losing guys to Penn State!" thing Mineo does.

I think you guys are way too sensitive on this topic, at least when it come to @smalls103 . Maybe I'm biased because I consider him a friend, but this isn't a Mineo situation, imo. Mineo is openly antagonistic to Iowa and often wrong. Willie is rarely wrong and is more antagonistic to people who come at him. Plus I'm pretty sure that his description is entirely accurate, this is the first time he's put out hard numbers, and it's about a guy that is apparently already committed to Iowa, not "Iowa is offering this huge number and losing guys to Penn State!" thing Mineo does.
Why put out $$$ figures for Iowa's portal activity and nobody else's? It's a pretty simple question, and IMO it's a pretty simple answer that's the same as the other Twitter dork you mentioned... to paint Iowa as desperate. And even if we are a little desperate, we're not the only program throwing gobs of money at guys. But when PSU or Michigan do it, there's zero talk about how big the bag was. Only Iowa.

Willie isn't the worst offender of the group, but majority of wrestling media/wrestling community HATES Iowa and has an agenda to keep Iowa down and out for good. By no means can Iowa ever return to the glory days. No different than any other form of media and their specific agendas. It's pretty stupid

Why put out $$$ figures for Iowa's portal activity and nobody else's? It's a pretty simple question, and IMO it's a pretty simple answer that's the same as the other Twitter dork you mentioned... to paint Iowa as desperate. And even if we are a little desperate, we're not the only program throwing gobs of money at guys. But when PSU or Michigan do it, there's zero talk about how big the bag was. Only Iowa.

He was pretty clear why. He could verify that the numbers were real.

What is your problem? You've already been told by people with firsthand knowledge of the situation he's been banned on here. Are we all lying?

He just sent me screenshots proving his ability to post on the football forum vs. not being able to post on the wrestling forum.
What’s my problem? I had no idea of your last comment. That he can post on football. So, he’s been banned from the wrestling forum. That sucks but doesn’t surprise me.

Come on man. You read his post. sheesh.

Fans getting mad at Willie are conflating him with Mineo. Mineo is the one that will talk about numbers, usually unverified - and then say that the Hawks are desperate, etc, etc, yada, yada.
I never said he was as egregious as the other tool. But the fact remains, he posted $$$ figures for an Iowa portal guy (the other guy's MO), something he's never done for portal guys at other major programs (the other guy's MO). If you're saying it's only because the $$$ figures here were "verified" and the $$$ figures have never been "verified" for guys at other programs, some may call that journalism but I just call it lazy.

I don't want to speak for Willie, but I feel like he's answered these questions in his own post, and it's been mentioned by a couple of others. These are the first numbers that he's independently verified. Most journalistic outfits require double-sourcing. Also, I think it's important to, again, note that the only guys where he has publicly discussed numbers has been on a guy we definitively got (Real Woods) and a guy we are apparently getting (Buchanan). That's way different than the Minnow.

FInally, the real question you should be asking is "is the number accurate?" because that's really Willie's only job in this scenario. He's media/journalist, not "Iowa PR." Even that presumes that the Buchanan number is somehow bad PR, which I think is disputed.

I don't want to speak for Willie, but I feel like he's answered these questions in his own post, and it's been mentioned by a couple of others. Also, I think it's important to, again, note that the only guys where he has publicly discussed numbers has been on a guy we definitively got (Real Woods) and a guy we are apparently getting (Buchanan). That's way different than the Minnow.

FInally, the real question you should be asking is "is the number accurate?" because that's really Willie's only job in this scenario. He's media/journalist, not "Iowa PR." Even that presumes that the Buchanan number is somehow bad PR, which I think is disputed.
Buchanan hasn’t committed yet so it’s really no different than when Mineo does it with a transfer Iowa is close to getting. Nothing good can come out of reporting the number for Iowa, and I think wrestling journalists know that.

Reactions: eb05 and T8KUDWN
Buchanan hasn’t committed yet so it’s really no different than when Mineo does it with a transfer Iowa is close to getting. Nothing good can come out of reporting the number for Iowa, and I think wrestling journalists know that.

The "nothing good can come out of reporting" it has nothing to do with Willie. He's doing HIS job correctly.

The fall out has nothing to do with him unless he decided to add commentary to it.

Reactions: Pennstate1985

Even if I just accept all that as true....that's not his job. The only relevant question is "is the number accurate?".

Was just looking for said Tweets or other evidence. No biggie--I'm not trying to make an issue of it. The point is that I haven't been dismissing the rumors overall--I've defended Multi more than once in this thread. The guy knows what he's talking about. Unlike a certain other poster.

Cruz is out there getting beat by D1 backups. Multiple NCAA qualifiers and at least 1 AA have been in the portal at 125 the past 1-2 seasons. This isn't really that hard.
Jesu announced Nov. 2022. Spencer Lee is wrestling his last year in 22-23. Ayala is redshirting after being an NCAA qualifier in 2021-22 and is without a doubt going 125 in 23-24. This is a clear indication to anyone entering the portal at 125 that Iowa has a spot open for you?

It is hard to figure out just who you think, from this list below, who could have kept Iowa from your perceived epic failure?
2023 portal ncaa qualifiers and AA:

#30 seed Lorenzo Grad transfer from
Cal Poly
# 24 seed Babin Grad transfer fromColumbia
#12 seed Deaugustino Grad transfer from NW to Michigan
Spratley transferred from Minnesota to Okie State.
#15 seed Smith Grad transfer from App. State to Neb. Is this your AA?

2024 Portal:
#11 seed Cooper Flynn Junior Va Tech to Minnesota
Nobody else worth going after.
Have I not made myself clear? They should have started in 2022 and actually gotten someone good. Because...well...that's their job.
Really what you’re saying is we needed to start offering someone a boat load of money, which really couldn’t have started until after NCAA’s this year.

Reactions: MSU158
Even if I just accept all that as true....that's not his job. The only relevant question is "is the number accurate?".
Then we get back to reporting numbers he hears for other teams/transfers as well. That’s non biased journalism. I don’t buy or believe he doesn’t know concretely what guys from other schools got.

Reactions: eb05
Jesu announced Nov. 2022. Spencer Lee is wrestling his last year in 22-23. Ayala is redshirting after being an NCAA qualifier in 2021-22 and is without a doubt going 125 in 23-24. This is a clear indication to anyone entering the portal at 125 that Iowa has a spot open for you?

It is hard to figure out just who you think, from this list below, who could have kept Iowa from your perceived epic failure?

Cal Poly

2024 Portal:

Really what you’re saying is we needed to start offering someone a boat load of money, which really couldn’t have started until after NCAA’s this year.

Many. I would have loved to see Cooper Flynn in black and gold.

this is the reality of the situation. i have been trying to bite my tongue because frankly i’m tired of having the same conversation about nil money and rumors. i am almost positive these numbers weren’t leaked to Willie by iowa or sb. sure it’s not willie’s job to keep them secret but it’s the picking and choosing that rubs me wrong.

also don’t buy the bs that this is the first time willie said numbers about Iowa because he has “verified” mineo’s numbers and said they were true two different times.

Last edited:
Then we get back to reporting numbers he hears for other teams/transfers as well. That’s non biased journalism. I don’t buy or believe he doesn’t know concretely what guys from other schools got.

But you're just blatantly ignoring that this is the first time he's had a hard number OR you're just presuming that he's withheld the hard numbers on other Iowa transfers for some reason. Why wasn't he giving the numbers during our known failed pursuits of Truax or Nagao? It just doesn't track with reality.

That's the point. If he's doing this under the veil of "journalism" then why isn't he out getting verified $$$ figures for all the high-profile guys Michigan and PSU have been pulling in through the portal? There have been more than a few there. Why is it just for Iowa? If this is about journalism, why is it so selective and lazy?

mineo blocked me on X so it’s harder to search but I’m pretty sure this is one of the times he has verified mineo

Many. I would have loved to see Cooper Flynn in black and gold.
Just who in the hell are you referring to as many? The #11 seed Cooper Flynn who went 1-2 at NCAA’s and lost his last two matches to Camacho the #7 seed who went 2-2 at NCAA’s.
You’re grasping at straws.

Reactions: eb05
I am still struggling to see how Iowa's offer of $500k to Buchanan and Teemer is a bad thing.. To me it is a gigantic flashing sign saying "Elite transfers, come here to get paid". Additionally, paying for elite transfer does not mean that there is no money to build out the RTC and NIL deals for elite recruits. It is honestly loser mentality to think that Iowa (the biggest name in college wrestling) is uncapable of building out the RTC and paying NIL money to recruits and transfers while other programs like Michigan and PSU are able to do it.

Reactions: sabula

Cal Poly

2024 Portal:

Thanks for providing a list of guys who are largely better than the guy we have. That was the point--appreciate you doing the homework.

This would have been bad 10 years ago. In today's environment it is a fail.

FWIW, I'm up for Cruz serving me a big poopburger this year. Would be great to see and eat.

I am still struggling to see how Iowa's offer of $500k to Buchanan and Teemer is a bad thing.. To me it is a gigantic flashing sign saying "Elite transfers, come here to get paid". Additionally, paying for elite transfer does not mean that there is no money to build out the RTC and NIL deals for elite recruits. It is honestly loser mentality to think that Iowa (the biggest name in college wrestling) is uncapable of building out the RTC and paying NIL money to recruits and transfers while other programs like Michigan and PSU are able to do it.

It isn't. We have too many whiny bitch ass fans. Oh no it is so terrible our program has vast financial resources! That's not the signal we want to send to potential wrestlers! LOL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT