ADVERTISEMENT

Oklahoma makes teaching the Bible mandatory in all schools

After SCOTUS gives the okay on this, I'm looking forward to the next case where a teacher decides to test it by displaying other religious materials. Then SCOTUS will issue a ruling that this is not permissible, thereby creating a precedent in which only the government can establish which religious viewpoints can be displayed in public schools.

After SCOTUS gives the okay on this, I'm looking forward to the next case where a teacher decides to test it by displaying other religious materials. Then SCOTUS will issue a ruling that this is not permissible, thereby creating a precedent in which only the government can establish which religious viewpoints can be displayed in public schools.
Scotus absolutely will ok this. This version of the Supreme Court is an absolute disgrace.

All Oklahoma schools are required to incorporate the Bible and the Ten Commandments in their curriculums, effective immediately, the state’s chief education officer announced in a memorandum Thursday.

At a State Board of Education meeting, Oklahoma State Superintendent of Public Instruction Ryan Walters said the Bible is “one of the most foundational documents used for the Constitution and the birth of our country.”

“It’s crystal clear to us that in the Oklahoma academic standards under Title 70 on multiple occasions, the Bible is a necessary historical document to teach our kids about the history of this country, to have a complete understanding of Western civilization, to have an understanding of the basis of our legal system,” Walters said.

Every classroom in the state must have a Bible and all teachers must teach from the Bible in the classroom, Walters said.

The Oklahoma memorandum follows a law in Louisiana passed June 19, that requires all public classrooms to display the Ten Commandments. A group of Louisiana parents and civil rights organizations are suing the state over the new law, contending the legislation violates both US Supreme Court precedent and the First Amendment.

Oklahoma’s directive “is in alignment with the educational standards approved on or about May 2019, with which all districts must comply,” according to a news release.

“The Bible is an indispensable historical and cultural touchstone,” Walters said in the release. “Without basic knowledge of it, Oklahoma students are unable to properly contextualize the foundation of our nation. This is not merely an educational directive but a crucial step in ensuring our students grasp the core values and historical context of our country.”

The new memo comes after the Oklahoma Supreme Court blocked an effort to establish the first publicly funded religious charter school in the country. The court on Tuesday ordered the state to rescind its contract with St. Isidore of Seville Catholic Virtual School in a 6-2 decision with one recusal.

“Under Oklahoma law, a charter school is a public school,” wrote Justice James R. Winchester for the court. “As such, a charter school must be nonsectarian. However, St. Isidore will evangelize the Catholic faith as part of its school curriculum while sponsored by the State.”

Walters called the ruling “one of the worst” decisions the state Supreme Court has made and pledged to “fight back.”

“What the court did was rule against the parents of Oklahoma who have demanded more choices for their kids. We have a great opportunity to make sure that parents have the most options of any parents in the country here in Oklahoma, by giving them the ability to go to a public school, charter schools, private schools, this would have been the most unique charter school in the country,” Walters said.

“So I want you all to know, we will continue to fight back against this, we want to continue to provide an opportunity for parents to send their kids to high-quality schools.”

This is a developing story and will be updated.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/27/us/oklahoma-schools-bible-curriculum/index.html

Which bible?

Seriously, you're OK with and trying to excuse this away? We vehemently disagree on things but this is a red line.
No, just providing a counter point. I don’t think it should be taught in school other than glossing over, teaching a bit about the Abrahamic religions, their HhhhhUuuughe differences. I will add, we were a Christian nation at the time of our founding, with the idea of Islam ever making headway here a very foreign thought.

Or not. The White Nationalist SCOTUS will rule the Bible will be the basis for educating youth, arm bands with a specific pattern, each morning starts with a pledge of allegiance (maybe to an Orange Idol), and a fitting salute.

This may not be as crazy and far off as anyone thinks.
More fear-mongering. 🥴

Reactions: KFsdisciple
No, just providing a counter point. I don’t think it should be taught in school other than glossing over, teaching a bit about the Abrahamic religions, their HhhhhUuuughe differences. I will add, we were a Christian nation at the time of our founding, with the idea of Islam ever making headway here a very foreign thought.
It shouldn't be taught in school, period. It'd be banned via ❄️ Republicans book ban standards based on what is in it.

It shouldn't be taught in school, period. It'd be banned via ❄️ Republicans book ban standards based on what is in it.
No no, I’m saying just talk about the origins, who wrote it, Hebrews, then the New Testament, debate it’s legitimacy. Then discuss the founding of the pedophilic goat ****ers religion which hasn’t evolved past beheading

The Founding Fathers would absolutely be appalled what the GOP is doing today..
The Scotus decision for sure, but probably not some of the stuff you’re upset about. They were anti tax, slave owning, church going people…..not progressives. They would be appalled at what’s happening to Europe.

They vehemently warned keeping religion out of our politics as well as warning about someone like a Trump.
They didn’t want the thing they left behind, a tyrant or a government that interfered with their worship. They wanted politics out of religion. They also didn’t want a two party system

we've always mixed church and state, but if you can point to ANY founding document that even implies a separation of church and state I'll sing a new tune. Just one... the constitution, the bill of rights within, the declaration, give me SOMETHING official that states "separation of church and state" Good Luck. But in the off chance you can't find it in the US Constitution, I'm sure you can find SOMETHING in the Oklahoma State Constitution that bans this right?
Man, for as much of stickler you are towards the second amendment, you shoukd REALLY consider the first 11 words on the constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.

To me. That answers all of your, and everyone else questions regarding an establishment of religion.

It is the absolute first item addressed. In the first lines. All of the signatories agreed and signed this document.

No establishment of religion.

Man, for as much of stickler you are towards the second amendment, you shoukd REALLY consider the first 11 words on the constitution.

To me. That answers all of your, and everyone else questions regarding an establishment of religion.

It is the absolute first item addressed. In the first lines. All of the signatories agreed and signed this document.

Not to be a stickler, but Congress isn’t doing anything in Oklahoma, it’s the federal funding that makes this illegal

Not to be a stickler, but Congress isn’t doing anything in Oklahoma, it’s the federal funding that makes this illegal
The only point I’m making is that it is implicit in the first amendment.

11 words. The first words written in our beloved document that so many of you love to espouse.

But have conveniently ignored.

Reactions: RileyHawk

And has the country established a religion? Did the state of Oklahoma establish that you MUST be Christian and go to church? Even if they add biblical teachings in schools, what's the difference between that and Darwinism? IF it's it taught as here is what some people believe or what some scientists believe, they aren't forcing anyone to practice christianity.

The Scotus decision for sure, but probably not some of the stuff you’re upset about. They were anti tax, slave owning, church going people…..not progressives. They would be appalled at what’s happening to Europe.
I think you are overstating the religiosity of the founders. Church attendance was at one of its lowest level in early American history. We are talking single digits. Many of the founders arguably the most influential would be considered deists not theists. I don't think these people would relate at all to modern day Christianity. Particularly the idea of an active god people have a relationship with. They certainly wouldn't be pointing to the 10 commandments as foundational to the law and government. They would point to the Romans and the Greeks.

The only point I’m making is that it is implicit in the first amendment.

11 words. The first words written in our beloved document that so many of you love to espouse.

But have conveniently ignored.
Again, Oklahoma is a state, they can try this, but school being federally funded will stop it. Congress didn’t make this Oklahoma decision, their state did

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
Tell me you've never listened to Steve without telling me you've never listened to Steve... "No He's a MAGA."
He’s a Clone fan & like yourself, did not go to the U of I. Perhaps that’s why you like him so much. Do you have to go to the hospital for three months for a cold as well?

He’s a Clone fan & like yourself, did not go to the U of I. Perhaps that’s why you like him so much. Do you have to go to the hospital for three months for a cold as well?
If I only listened to people who went to the U of I, or were hawkeye fans I guess I'd have to get most of my information from Ashton Kutcher.

If I only listened to people who went to the U of I, or were hawkeye fans I guess I'd have to get most of my information from Ashton Kutcher.
Yeah so keep listening to the fat dork who is a religious nut job & can’t handle a cold. Maybe you can ask him about Rocco Becht & CRT at the same time. Then you can jerk him off & head to church together.

Yeah so keep listening to the fat dork who is a religious nut job & can’t handle a cold. Maybe you can ask him about Rocco Becht & CRT at the same time. Then you can jerk him off & head to church together.
That took a strange turn, I've never thought about jerking off another dude, but you seem to have some unresolved fantasy you need to address.

They sure liked wigs and makeup on men an awful lot back then.

Just saying…
Some still do.

rudy-img_44101.jpg

Be specific, they would be GOP on trans and more than likely abortion
Lifted directly from the Democratic platform on the DNC website:

Democrats applaud the decision by the Supreme Court that recognized that LGBT people—like other Americans—have the right to marry the person they love. But there is still much work to be done. LGBT kids continue to be bullied at school, restaurants can refuse to serve transgender people, and same-sex couples are at risk of being evicted from their homes. That is unacceptable and must change.
Democrats stand with the LGBTQ community’s fight for equality. We are committed to ending anti-LGBTQ violence, bullying, and discrimination, and to ensuring that LGBTQ Americans are treated with dignity and respect in their communities, their workplaces, and their schools.

Under President Obama’s leadership, we made tremendous progress: passing hate crimes legislation named for Matthew Shepard and James Byrd Jr., banning discrimination against LGBTQ people by federal contractors, and ending “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” and the ban on transgender military service. On President Obama’s first day in office, only two states guaranteed marriage equality. Today, marriage equality is the law of the land in all 50 states.

These milestones are significant and historic, but our work is far from complete. Experience tells us that progress is incremental — just as President Obama said, “step by step, law by law, mind by changing mind.”

Democrats are ready to continue to strive for progress. Leaders in Congress and around the country will fight alongside the LGBTQ community for full equality under the law, ending harmful conversion therapy for LGBTQ youth, and full legal protection for transgender Americans.

Color me extremely skeptical that the Founding Fathers would be opposed to such a platform stance. Embellishing the Democratic platform beyond the above summary statement is just fearmongering and lies that were developed to rile up the uninformed GOP base into a frenzy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT