ADVERTISEMENT

Opinion: The Texas GOP attack on trans kids reaches a horrifying new level

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
When we look back on this period in conservative politics, two things are likely to stand out: culture war grievances turned up to a fever pitch and a newly unrestrained use of power, with Republican politicians everywhere inventing novel ways to target enemies and accomplish their goals.
Opinions to start the day, in your inbox. Sign up.
When taken to an extreme, the results can be absolutely horrifying. Which is what we’re now seeing in Texas.
In the Republican response to President Biden’s State of the Union address, Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds touted “the pro-parent, pro-family revolution that Republicans are leading.”
Texas Republicans are showing how that “pro-family revolution” gets put into practice.

Recently, state Attorney General Ken Paxton issued an opinion stating that various types of gender-affirming care for transgender children “can legally constitute child abuse” under the Texas Family Code. That includes puberty blockers.

Paxton also stated that among others, “teachers, nurses, doctors, day-care employees, employees of a clinic or health care facility that provides reproductive services” have a duty to report to the state any child they think is receiving such care. He added: “A failure to report under these circumstances is a criminal offense.”
Voices Across America: Texas officials are spreading blatant falsehoods about medical care for transgender kids

Gov. Greg Abbott then directed the state’s Department of Family and Protective Services “to conduct a prompt and thorough investigation of any reported instances of these abusive procedures.”

These Republicans conflate permanent surgical interventions that are seldom performed on minors with common and reversible therapies, such as puberty blockers. So if you’re a teacher with a trans student whose family is supporting them, you’d better report them to the state government.

The investigations have begun; one of the first was of a child protective servicesemployee who asked her supervisor what to do about the fact that her own daughter is trans. The employee was placed on leave, and then investigators showed up at her family’s door demanding her daughter’s medical records.
This has terrified families with trans kids around Texas, as The 19th a news organization focused on gender, politics, and policy, reports:

Multiple parents of trans children told The 19th they had started gathering testimony from friends and family in case they were sued. Parents, many of whom had spoken to media in recent weeks, declined to be interviewed by The 19th, citing fears that doing so would draw attention to them. A mother sobbed on the phone as she reiterated that she was unable to talk.
“It’s as bad as it’s ever been,” said Angela Hale, a spokesperson for Equality Texas. “We have fended all of this off for a decade.”
Hale said Child Protective Services has been arriving at the homes and schools of a handful of transgender children across the state.
The American Civil Liberties Union has already filed suit against the governor and the head of Texas’s child protective services to stop the investigations. Even if we’ve seen only a small number of investigations so far, this amounts to a campaign of terror against these families, precisely because they’re giving their kids the love and support they need to navigate an emotionally difficult process.

So the Republican policy goal has gone from “Let’s make sure no trans girl gets to play on her middle school softball team” to “Let’s see if we might be able to rip trans kids from their homes and prosecute their parents.”
If that isn’t a crime against decency and morality, I don’t know what is. This is from the party that calls itself “pro-family.”

It’s no surprise that Paxton is the one spearheading this crackdown. Paxton is an especially repugnant figure; he was a high-profile attendee of Donald Trump’s Jan. 6 rally, he was indicted on securities fraud charges, and he was accused by his own aides of bribery and abuse of office.
Paxton is up for reelection and is headed for a primary runoff against George P. Bush, who, in a nod to his family’s long history of abandoning all principle in the service of ambition, has reinvented himself as a MAGA warrior. At a recent debate, Bush and other challengers signaled agreement with Paxton’s nascent war on trans kids and their families.
Voices Across America: I’m the mother of a trans son in Texas — and no, I’m not a ‘child abuser’
I doubt most Republican voters support this kind of cruelty, though a good proportion likely do. But Paxton and Abbott have made the calculation that what the base wants is to make the lives of already-vulnerable trans kids even more miserable and haunted by fear.

What makes this an unrestrained and creative use of power is that it’s characteristic of a new spirit among state-level Republicans who are dissatisfied with ordinary limits on governing. Fed by the conviction that the culture war is the key to political success and their base wants nothing more than rage and red meat, they keep looking for new ways to deploy the powers of their offices.
You don’t like Roe v. Wade? Why not essentially outlaw abortion in your state by creating a vigilante system to use against providers? Turns out the Supreme Court will give you the thumbs-up. Mad that liberal protesters stopped traffic for an hour? Pass a law granting civil immunity to people who run over protesters with their cars. Pine for the days when textbooks said enslaved people were happy and well-fed? Make it illegal for teachers to tell students hard truths about race.
Anyone who follows the conservative movement knew this ugly period would come to this: Talk of “liberty” and “free speech” would end up with state censorship of ideas conservatives don’t like, while “pro-family” would end up meaning deploying the state to break up families.
One day, Republicans might move beyond what they’re doing now, just as they prefer not to talk about their opposition to marriage equality. But in the meantime, they’re going to victimize a lot of people.

• Angry
Reactions: BelemNole
Ya, society's desire to protect girls from losing to biological men in sports is so much worse that what Russia is doing to innocent women and children. Your leftist BS timing is impeccable. Read the room buddy.

Ya, society's desire to protect girls from losing to biological men in sports is so much worse that what Russia is doing to innocent women and children. Your leftist BS timing is impeccable. Read the room buddy.
Lol. Freeeeeeeee speeeeeeaaaachhhhh!!!!!!!

Reactions: cigaretteman
At least 16. Sexual maturity if not actual maturity.

We don't allow teens to make the decision to sleep with a 25-year-old.

Why do we allow them to make decisions about their sexuality otherwise?
Sexual Orientation and Trans people

Gender identity and sexual orientation are not the same. Sexual orientation refers to an individual’s enduring physical, romantic, and/or emotional attraction to another person, whereas gender identity refers to one’s internal sense of being male, female, or something else. Transgender people may be straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or asexual, just as cisgender people can be

Considering that there should be no such thing as "trans kids," I find this thread title to be really horrifying in and of itself.

Considering yourself to be "trans" should be an adult decision.
I agree on any sort of transition should wait until adulthood and believe in the Iowa law we just passed. I also think what this woman was saying is horrifying and am glad she is no longer a teacher. She doesn't belong within a mile of any kind period. She also doesn't belong in government

Gender identity and sexual orientation are not the same. Sexual orientation refers to an individual’s enduring physical, romantic, and/or emotional attraction to another person, whereas gender identity refers to one’s internal sense of being male, female, or something else. Transgender people may be straight, lesbian, gay, bisexual, or asexual, just as cisgender people can be
This is where it seems to me for there to exist a huge logical inconsistency in the "trans movement," or at least as it's articulated by the loudest voices.

If an indefinite number of genders exist then why allow - much less encourage - someone to go through a radical medical procedure to fit into one of only two traditionally recognized genders? Seems almost oppressive.

Affirmative action is discriminatory, but designed, in part, to give opportunity to women. Allowing trans to play with women is discriminatory, but against women, which makes it an even better discriminatory example than AA. We have now entered a circular cycle of justified discrimination and it’s going to be wild to see where it goes.

Last edited:
Considering that there should be no such thing as "trans kids," I find this thread title to be really horrifying in and of itself.

Nonsense. This is like claiming that only adults can claim to be straight.

At least 16. Sexual maturity if not actual maturity.

We don't allow teens to make the decision to sleep with a 25-year-old.

Why do we allow them to make decisions about their sexuality otherwise?

SMFH you two even encourage a response to that troll response? Is this your first time dealing with Trad? Unbelievable that people still debate his obvious hyperbolic type of posts.

@Gimmered

I'd like to hear your response to the above? Do you feel like that Trad's statement is true?

This is what urohawk, an actual doctor had to say about puberty blockers.
I can't really respond. That person is uninformed how the system runs. They have no clue how the process works. There is no incentive for these kids or their families. Why would anyone want this?

You first start on puberty blockers to delay the onset of puberty. This is reversible and has minimal harm. The idea is to allow the person to mature mentally so they can make appropriate decisions. Once you grow a beard, have an Adam's apple, develop giant hands, and a deep voice those become irreversible.

Criteria for Puberty-Suppressing Hormones
In order for adolescents to receive puberty-suppressing hormones, the following minimum criteria
must be met:
The adolescent has demonstrated a long-lasting and intense pattern of gender nonconformity
or gender dysphoria (whether suppressed or expressed);
Gender dysphoria emerged or worsened with the onset of puberty;

Any coexisting psychological, medical, or social problems that could interfere with treatment
(e.g., that may compromise treatment adherence) have been addressed, such that the
adolescent’s situation and functioning are stable enough to start treatment;

The adolescent has given informed consent and, particularly when the adolescent has not
reached the age of medical consent, the parents or other caretakers or guardians have
consented to the treatment and are involved in supporting the adolescent throughout the
treatment process.

It still astounds me that small government Rs think that they can tell people what to do with their own bodies. This isn't your call to make. So butt out of their lives.
Funny how people like you are able to compartmentalize so easily and how that can lead to such a distorted worldview. Children do not need people like you advocating for these type of high life decisions regardless of how they feel at that age. They need protection from people like you so they can make this decision later when they are equipped to do so. What you are doing is abusive

Funny how people like you are able to compartmentalize so easily and how that can lead to such a distorted worldview. Children do not need people like you advocating for these type of high life decisions regardless of how they feel at that age. They need protection from people like you so they can make this decision later when they are equipped to do so. What you are doing is abusive
It's between them, their doctors, and their families. Stop trying to run their lives.

And lol at "Horrifying New Level." Such hyperbole!

Maybe these folks are trying to protect children from unproven and frankly dangerous treatments. Seems mutalating a child is infinitely more horrifying.

American College of Pediatricians
LOL...the "American College of Pediatricians" is an anti-LGBTQ advocacy group that opposes adoption by gays or lesbians and advocates for "conversion therapy". GTFO with that BS.

No, but I would imagine it's 18 or maybe 21. It doesn't really apply in this situation because puberty blockers require parent consent.
That is what age of medical consent means, the age when they don’t need their parents sign off. In some states there isn’t one, the doc just has to believe the child understands the treatment. Probably most common age of medical consent is 14.

That is what age of medical consent means, the age when they don’t need their parents sign off. In some states there isn’t one, the doc just has to believe the child understands the treatment. Probably most common age of medical consent is 14.
But they're not making these decisions without parental consent. So where are you going with this argument?

Did you not read the message from UroHawk that he posted?
I don't think that's what @Urohawk meant, but if the problem is the age of medical consent why not change those laws instead of taking the choice away from all families. Make a law requiring parental consent until 18 or 21 that will give parents the right to make decisions about their own children. I've heard many times in the last 2 years that parents know what is best for their own children.

Please post the exact post. I did a search and found Uro talking about parents being able to stop procedures but not free and clear consent for 14 year olds.
I quoted him in post #22 of this thread the post is from a different thread on the same topic.

I think this is what Big is talking about:

The adolescent has given informed consent and, particularly when the adolescent has not
reached the age of medical consent, the parents or other caretakers or guardians have
consented to the treatment and are involved in supporting the adolescent throughout the
treatment process.

You can read the whole quote in post #22.

I quoted him in post #22 of this thread the post is from a different thread on the same topic.

I think this is what Big is talking about:

treatment process.

You can read the whole quote in post #22.
Uro seems pretty clear here that parental/guardian consent is needed if the child is not of age. I'm not sure what Big Hawk's argument is then?

This is where it seems to me for there to exist a huge logical inconsistency in the "trans movement," or at least as it's articulated by the loudest voices.

If an indefinite number of genders exist then why allow - much less encourage - someone to go through a radical medical procedure to fit into one of only two traditionally recognized genders? Seems almost oppressive.
:rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT