ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions on why Wisconsin is the favorite in the Big West?

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
I understand they have won more BTW titles than anyone … but I just don’t see them putting a completely new air raid offense in one off season? It could be a complete disaster or it could be rather successful. Have they recruited high level receivers? Is their o-line gotten quicker? I just don’t see that working out in year 1 but I do like they’re coach and I don’t see it wrapping up all together in year 1 but it could in the next few years… it takes time to switch over radically from a run dominated offense to an air raid … just wondering what receivers they have that they got from the portal or new and up and coming receivers… Sklyer Bell isn’t going to do it … I guess will see and that’s why they play the games

Iowa romps WISCO at Camp Randal

The B1G West has some issues for 2023. Wisky is the safe bet.
I need to see Mordecai be good vs P5 bowl caliber teams before I pick Wisconsin. Iowa would be my pick, but the lost some guys with gambling. Illinois has a good Dline. Purdue has the best QB in the division probably, but a lot of new faces. Nebraska has a lot or new faces and a good coach, but sucked last year. Minnesota has a new QB and Fleck can't win the west. I could make a legit case for everyone but northwestern tbh. Iowa is my pick though

If he realizes he doesn't have the players to run his preferred offense right now. He could be as competitive as Iowa or anyone. But if he tries to fit a square peg into round hole. It will be Rich Rod situation like UM had back then.

I think there's a lot of laziness with journalists. Wisconsin has been good for 30 years and Fickel had great success at Cincinnati. So that must make them the favorite.

Last edited:
I think there's a lot of laziness with journalists. Wisconsin has been good for 30 years and Fickel had great success at Cincinnati. So that must make them the favorite.
I agree with this. But on the other hand, they could spend days watching practices, 2022 film, interviewing coaches and players, studying the depth chart, and still end up with a guess.

As they say ... it's why they play the games.

The B1G West has some issues for 2023. Wisky is the safe bet.
Considering they are doing a complete retool, I’d say they are anything other than a safe bet.

As Hawkcub else said, some sports journalists are lazy. They’ll say something like “until someone unseats Wisconsin, I’ll take them to win the division.” Having no idea they haven’t won the division in 4 or 5 years.

They may win it, but Iowa is probably the “safe” bet. That said, Wisky does have an even easier schedule than Iowa, so…

Considering they are doing a complete retool, I’d say they are anything other than a safe bet.

As Hawkcub else said, some sports journalists are lazy. They’ll say something like “until someone unseats Wisconsin, I’ll take them to win the division.” Having no idea they haven’t won the division in 4 or 5 years.

They may win it, but Iowa is probably the “safe” bet. That said, Wisky does have an even easier schedule than Iowa, so…
I probably should have said "least risky" instead of safe.

Four new HC's - Minny & Illinois haven't proven they can get over the hump. Hawks without an offense until proven otherwise.

It's a toss-up IMO.

Happy tho that the Hawks haven't been tabbed the favorite. Players seem to thrive when "disrespected".

The first year may be too quick. On the other hand, I have long said that with good coaching, a
radical change in offense doesn't take years. My guess is that there's a 70 % chance that they do better
than OK and a 30% chance that they do worse.

I need to see Mordecai be good vs P5 bowl caliber teams before I pick Wisconsin. Iowa would be my pick, but the lost some guys with gambling. Illinois has a good Dline. Purdue has the best QB in the division probably, but a lot of new faces. Nebraska has a lot or new faces and a good coach, but sucked last year. Minnesota has a new QB and Fleck can't win the west. I could make a legit case for everyone but northwestern tbh. Iowa is my pick though
Thanks for the pick.👊🏻

As for the ridiculous gambling suspensions, they’ll hurt our wrestling team more than any program (although our staff was proactive and was able to bring in some studs through the portal that should largely mitigate the damage). Fortunately, the one impact player we lost for the year was on the DL, where we’re probably the deepest we’ve been in about 20 years. Losing Shannon isn’t ideal but shouldn’t make much difference aside from getting some more PT for some young future NFL guys.

BTW, we talked a little about about Jack Plummer last season as I recall. His aunt and uncle are close friends of ours. Rough season at Cal last year, but we’re excited and interested to see how things go for Jack at Louisville under Jeff’s coaching again. Could be a big year for Jack and a springboard to a shot in the League.

The first year may be too quick. On the other hand, I have long said that with good coaching, a
radical change in offense doesn't take years. My guess is that there's a 70 % chance that they do better
than OK and a 30% chance that they do worse.
IMO, the best time to play Wisconsin would be in the first half of the season while they are still working out the kinks on offense.

I don't think changing systems is as big of deal now days with the portal. That said, I'm not sure how many guys they brought in but with the portal I think teams can change systems alot faster and easier now.

Iowa has game at PSU, Wisconsin has game against OSU. Surprising at the picks of Wisconsin beating OSU. The main reason is the Iowa/Wisconsin game is at Randall stadium.

Pundits tend to follow coaches/staffs even moreso than programs. Iowa should be the favorite, but until they prove that this current staff is capable of fielding an adequate offense the narrative won't change. Fickell had great success in the minor leagues. We'll see if he can replicate it at Wisconsin.

Wisconsin wasn't much different than anyone else last season. Iowa or Mn would be a logical choice but Luke is from the east and a media favorite.
This. Media always loves the shiny new object when it comes to new coaches. Remember after frosty’s 1st year and media had them ranked 25 in preseason poll after a 4-8 year. Yes Fickel did great at Cincy but we’ve seen lot of successful mid majors coaches fail at P5 but many forget 1 year as interim at osu and he was only 6-6. Plus as others sad lazy journalism easy to just pick Wisc. To win the west no matter the changes to them and other teams.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Until Nebraska figures it out, Wisconsin is the only proven west division team that has any chance to compete with the best of the east division. If Rhule can get Nebraska back to where Pelini was 2011-2014, then it will be back to Nebraska and Wisconsin as annual favorites with Illinois, Minnesota, purdue and Iowa jockeying for third best.

I think people need to go back and look at Cincy under Fickell. I would not characterize it as "air raid". It was more balanced over his entire run there.

Until Nebraska figures it out, Wisconsin is the only proven west division team that has any chance to compete with the best of the east division. If Rhule can get Nebraska back to where Pelini was 2011-2014, then it will be back to Nebraska and Wisconsin as annual favorites with Illinois, Minnesota, purdue and Iowa jockeying for third best.
This is the last year of divisions in the Big 10, Einstein.

USATSI_20503272.jpg

Wisconsin is #11 in the country in athletic revenue, right there with auburn, Tennessee and notre dame 2.1 billion.
list is : 2.9 Billion Texas,#1 then Ohio State 2.85, Bama 2.5, Michigan 2.4, Florida 2.3, Oklahoma 2.2,LSU 2.2, Georgia 2.2, Notre Dame 2.1, Auburn 2.1
Wisconsin 2.1, Tennessee In descending order.

this is for the years 2003-2021. I had no idea Wisconsin has that much $$$$

You guys are quite honestly adorable. 😂 I feel like it’s only fair to let you have this.

Thanks for the pick.👊🏻

As for the ridiculous gambling suspensions, they’ll hurt our wrestling team more than any program (although our staff was proactive and was able to bring in some studs through the portal that should largely mitigate the damage). Fortunately, the one impact player we lost for the year was on the DL, where we’re probably the deepest we’ve been in about 20 years. Losing Shannon isn’t ideal but shouldn’t make much difference aside from getting some more PT for some young future NFL guys.

BTW, we talked a little about about Jack Plummer last season as I recall. His aunt and uncle are close friends of ours. Rough season at Cal last year, but we’re excited and interested to see how things go for Jack at Louisville under Jeff’s coaching again. Could be a big year for Jack and a springboard to a shot in the League.
Imo, the Shannon suspension is dumb. Will be interesting to see Plummer at Louisville. Always liked him and wanted him to be successful, just felt he was a little to conservative for what Purdue needed. Hope he does well.

I somehow would love to see him win 10 and Brohm only win 6. Though, I think Purdue might have upgraded from Brohm coaching wise (long term). Though admittedly, that's a gut feeling. I Guess it doesn't have much to do with Brohm, just can't stand Louisville fans. They deserve to have bad sports.

I understand they have won more BTW titles than anyone … but I just don’t see them putting a completely new air raid offense in one off season? It could be a complete disaster or it could be rather successful. Have they recruited high level receivers? Is their o-line gotten quicker? I just don’t see that working out in year 1 but I do like they’re coach and I don’t see it wrapping up all together in year 1 but it could in the next few years… it takes time to switch over radically from a run dominated offense to an air raid … just wondering what receivers they have that they got from the portal or new and up and coming receivers… Sklyer Bell isn’t going to do it … I guess will see and that’s why they play the games

Iowa romps WISCO at Camp Randal
Why?............I'll tell you why.

Because f*** Wisconsin, that's why!

I think people need to go back and look at Cincy under Fickell. I would not characterize it as "air raid". It was more balanced over his entire run there.
I'm looking at it as a spread offense. It's still ground from a run-heavy offense to one with spread principles. For the guys on the OL those are radically different schemes, and I was underwhelmed by Allen in his sophomore year as a RB. I expect Wisconsin will be up and down, think they will lose at least a game or two they shouldn't.

Fickle is an exceptional coach, he brought in a PROVEN OC to run an offense that not many in the BIG have seen (but will incorporate the run more than his other stops).

Fickle is an exceptional coach, he brought in a PROVEN OC to run an offense that not many in the BIG have seen (but will incorporate the run more than his other stops).
That it will be good in the long run I don't really doubt - it's more a question of will they experience growing pains in year one that I wonder about; given the dramatic shift in offensive identity they're undertaking.

Best comparison in recent memory is when Rich Rodriguez went to Michigan and converted the offense from the pro-style to that spread option attack he had. Year 1 was a struggle at times and it never really did work at the clip he had it going at WVU - and obviously the defense was never good.

Which is also why I'm curious about that 3-3-5 that Rhule is instituting at Nebraska. Is it going to be on the order of what ISU has implemented?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT