ADVERTISEMENT

Penn Grades

Wow. This goes without saying. If you've watched any competition or most interviews its very obvious. Its absolutely ridiculous unprofessional and an awful example to kids. Some of my stuff may be a bit over the too but this topic is spot on by general concessus….fans and non fans. I know so many fans like myself lifelong fans that cant stsnd their behavior. I know legend iowa weestlers that cant stand it. Your one of the unconditional ass kissers of the TT show obviously. I have conditions!
Whoa, MAGA calm down, it was a reasonable question.

Wow. This goes without saying. If you've watched any competition or most interviews its very obvious. Its absolutely ridiculous unprofessional and an awful example to kids. Some of my stuff may be a bit over the too but this topic is spot on by general concessus….fans and non fans. I know so many fans like myself lifelong fans that cant stsnd their behavior. I know legend iowa weestlers that cant stand it. Your one of the unconditional ass kissers of the TT show obviously. I have conditions!
TNT are very well behaved compared to Gable.

I do agree some of this has been frustrating and I'm not 100% ride or die with TNT but I'm curious what everyone thinks the answer is. What coach out there do you grab? I have heard a lot of people say Spencer Lee is the future. If you agree with that then you probably would do nothing now. I have heard that you maybe want to poach from the Sanderson tree which seems like it could make sense. If that's the case you probably try to get who? David Taylor? Is he wanting to get into coaching now? Or after the next Olympic cycle? I have to think Jordan Burroughs would be on the short list but can you get him to come to Iowa city? Or do you make a crazy offer like Ben Askren? My thoughts are you do nothing until after the current Olympics cycle so 2025 2026.

It doesn’t matter that we don’t have an answer, because nobody would listen to us, anyway. We are just venting our frustration with coaches who are being well paid and not getting it done.

For quite some time we have not had great recruiting , but even worse out top recruits are not progressing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MVPFAN
I actually got blasted on here for saying I’d find it very hard to root for Iowa if they brought in Pat Downey. I will keep any other feelings to myself about current circumstances with the roster, but I assure you I am not an unconditional lover of T&T

I’m not sure that saying “it’s obvious” and “my friends all agree with me” answers my question. I’m genuinely curious about the specific things they say/do that bothers you. Not sure why all the hostility?

What type of words or actions make you say “oh, no that person is too immature for me to follow them. They are not a good leader.”?

Reactions: OldestandGreatest
I think you’re very misguided on this subject. The Brands brothers being in this sport has made this sport better. They’ve made it more entertaining and they have done a lot of winning.

They may be polarizing but to say they aren’t good leaders is absurd. What you see as unprofessional, their wrestlers see as passion and a willingness to stick up for their guys. Ask Spencer or Metcalf why they came to Iowa and they won’t get to far without mentioning Tom and Terry. Ask Austin and Bull all the things they’ve done for them.

They are not perfect, no one is, but there aren’t many men in this county that you could point to that would do more for their guys than Tom and Terry would. They may not be the most polished public speakers and sometimes their emotions get the best of them, but by golly do they back up what they say with action.

I hope coaches dont think like this. Its head in sand and denial. Carl is much better at almost every aspect. Development, professionalism, calm because hes prepared, fundraising. If he went to iowa hed be doing same thing as he is at psu.
Then why did he leave ISU? Imo mostly geography which is one reason I don't know if he would do as well at Iowa. Maybe he would now but it would have been a lot harder to "prime the pump". I still think he is the best coach by far but geography plays a pretty big role.

I actually got blasted on here for saying I’d find it very hard to root for Iowa if they brought in Pat Downey. I will keep any other feelings to myself about current circumstances with the roster, but I assure you I am not an unconditional lover of T&T

I’m not sure that saying “it’s obvious” and “my friends all agree with me” answers my question. I’m genuinely curious about the specific things they say/do that bothers you. Not sure why all the hostility?

What type of words or actions make you say “oh, no that person is too immature for me to follow them. They are not a good leader.”?
Running out and poking the ref who was about to call a pin for Sam Stoll(?) comes to mind. I believe that was Terry. The Tony Ramos exit was not a good look, though I know TNT supporters don’t see it that way. Telling Cory Clark to throw him after winning the NC was stupid, and took attention away from Clark’s accomplishment.

And the constant screaming and whining at officials is something I really don’t like.

Last edited:
Running out and poking the ref who was about to call a pin for Sam Stoll(?) comes to mind. I believe that was Terry. The Tony Ramos exit was not a good look, though I know TNT supporters don’t see it that way. Telling Cory Clark to throw him after winning the NC was stupid, and took attention away from lark’s accomplishment.

And the constant screaming and whining at officials is something I really don’t like.
Good examples snd just tip of iceberg. Its a national emarrassment and if im the AD id require change. He represents our state and univ. its ok once in a while but its 98% of time. Hes a baby a complainer and a begger as carl sits professionally quiet and classy.

Good Lord guys it is December right? It’s way early. Look at what is going on out in Vegas today. Tons of crazy things going on. Wrestling has changed so much over the past few years definitely no more brawling people to death. A lot more strategy involved. Even Carl and his kronies are very calculating.

D-. That's pretty much it. A couple bright spots, but pretty pitiful. I want to elaborate, but won't right now. I really didn't expect to see Kennedy before SS, but we don't have a 184 with Riggins at 174.
I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a more boring group of wrestlers in my 40 years of watching. Save Caliendo and Woods, woof.

Reactions: MAGAman
Excuse me, but you’re full of shit. Now, let the endless whiny bitch session continue.

Excuse me, but you’re full of shit. Now, let the endless whiny bitch session continue.
Head in sand hawk homer! Im a fan your a homer! Only blind fan cant reconize it on mat side and interviews. Embarrassing representation of our grest program. Could be so much better in and outside room.

The is the most pedestrian Iowa team I can remember. Bad recruiting and boring technique have combined to create the uninspiring display we have seen on the mat this year. Yes we have the suspensions but the problems with this team run way deeper than that. Short on talent, short on technique, short on scoring and even short on effort and intensity.

125- Not looking like an AA so far. Should be wiping the mat with the Penn freshman. Drake without action and attacks is very average. Having limited mat skills and rather poor TD defense if they get to his leg doesn't help. B-

133- Rhodes is scrappy but undersized and lacking horsepower to finish which is a common problem with Iowa wrestling. I doubt Teske does any better in the match. I would like to see if a healthy Schriever has anything to offer. B

141- Penn guy blocked off the whole match. Woods is not especially dynamic from neutral. B

149- Watching VV is truly awful and I have zero expectation of meaningful improvement. D

157- Watching Franek isn't much better than VV. Very limited offense. Would struggle to AA with how he looks now. C

165- Kudos to Caliendo for having some energy and effort. A

174- PK is clearly completely out of shape. He gassed himself trying to finish the leg in the air TD. I can't really grade him is that condition. Going with the incomplete.

184- He has obviously struggled, caught hanging out under his opponent like he always does and got whipped over. D

197- I'll give an A mainly because he has come through and wrestling pretty well. Cosgrove was a fairly high end recruit.

285- Solid B for Hill beating a 197 who gave Warner some trouble last year.
I agree with all of your grades except at 25 and 41; I feel like Drake and Real way under-performed against inferior opponents. Not sure what's up with these fellas. Remember Woods in his interview after the Iowa State match where he indicated that he gave the guy too much credit and would learn from that. I don't see where he learned jack shit; he looked flat and boring against ISU and looked more of the same against Penn; there was no visible learning curve. Someone please check all the lockers, cubby holes, garbage cans and closets at CHA. Someone has stolen and hidden Real Woods and replaced with him a lifeless clone. We need him back and are willing to pay a hefty ransom as long as he's willing to wrestle with some hefty attitude.

Reactions: el dub and gprsox
I do agree some of this has been frustrating and I'm not 100% ride or die with TNT but I'm curious what everyone thinks the answer is. What coach out there do you grab? I have heard a lot of people say Spencer Lee is the future. If you agree with that then you probably would do nothing now. I have heard that you maybe want to poach from the Sanderson tree which seems like it could make sense. If that's the case you probably try to get who? David Taylor? Is he wanting to get into coaching now? Or after the next Olympic cycle? I have to think Jordan Burroughs would be on the short list but can you get him to come to Iowa city? Or do you make a crazy offer like Ben Askren? My thoughts are you do nothing until after the current Olympics cycle so 2025 2026.
I've never been a fan of getting rid of TnT, but have been a huge fan of bringing diversity onto the staff. I would love to see TnT bring on some hammers that are in their image but not Iowa guys (unless we're talking about Spencer, Kem, etc.). I want guys who won an NCAA championship or two - or at least made it to the finals - and know what it takes to get there. And I want guys who took the action to their opponents and not the guys who hand-fought for 7 minutes only to lose at the end.

Ayala better get his head straight or we need to hit the portal for a new 125lber.
I think its a weight thing. Prob grew a bit since last yr. I think a summer of lifting and going to 133 would help him. Low AA but would feel and preform better.

Not grades, but just my thoughts ( some of you need to step away from the ledge as it is November and December 1st duals)
125: Conditioning needs to be better, more diverse in nuetral, and top game is by far Drake's weakest position. Hope we are bringing in a 125 as I don't see DA here next year.
133: Never been impressed with Teske. CS must be hurt or not eligible yet. We got spoiled as both are light years behind DeSanto. I think this is one of the Hawks weaker weights this year and Drake mans it next year.
141: Not concerned. If this was February yes, not in November. Eye on the prize.
149: Ferrari or bust. VV has zero offense.
157: Not an offensive dynamo, but is an improvement over Cobe scoring wise. Cobe was more exciting to watch though.
165: Glad he came to Iowa. Needs to be even better to reach the podium this year though. Has the tools to do it.
174: PK saved the meet last week, but is not even close to form yet.
184: A black hole. By far the weakest weight. We have no one here without wrestling a true freshman 174lber. sigh
197: My biggest surprise so far. Glazier has been the man so far. I expected this to be the biggest hole this year, but instead it has been the best surprise.
285: Been as expected. Hard to critique the guy when he won't be the guy later this year. If Kueter struggles, does AJ go heavy and leave Glazier at 197?

Last edited:
Head in sand hawk homer! Im a fan your a homer! Only blind fan cant reconize it on mat side and interviews. Embarrassing representation of our grest program. Could be so much better in and outside room.
Wow, you're an angry little etiquette elf. You're sullying the MAGA brand.

Good Lord guys it is December right? It’s way early. Look at what is going on out in Vegas today. Tons of crazy things going on. Wrestling has changed so much over the past few years definitely no more brawling people to death. A lot more strategy involved. Even Carl and his kronies are very calculating.

In fairness, I complain about these things year-round. :)

I could care less about matside antics. TnT wear their hearts on their sleeves. They are paid for results and haven't met expectations enough. I do think they have to pull in some better upper weight coach / HWC talent.

We are losing the recruiting battle by a mile, and they are resorting to the portal way too much to fill gaps that just aren't going to score that many points this year. If they don't land several top 10 p4p guys this year, we may be approaching Z results.

I could care less about matside antics. TnT wear their hearts on their sleeves. They are paid for results and haven't met expectations enough. I do think they have to pull in some better upper weight coach / HWC talent.

We are losing the recruiting battle by a mile, and they are resorting to the portal way too much to fill gaps that just aren't going to score that many points this year. If they don't land several top 10 p4p guys this year, we may be approaching Z results.
Your making my case. One of the few reasons we getting killed in recruiting has alot to do with leaserships antics and style.

Ive said it before……i am critical on leadership but i also feel bad for brands. Its gotta be so frustrating. They were in a class by themselves with constant looking to score, urgency even when up by 12, will and tenacity. Cant understand why they cant coach it. What they had cant be taught apparently. They were so exciting compared to how they develop others.
Norm Parker once told Phil Parker " it doesn't matter what you know...it only matters what your players can do"

Meaning you can have a scheme for any scenario, be the smartest X and O guy that ever lived, but if your athletes can't physically execute it, it is worthless.

Recruit better. That has been their issue their entire career. it's the Jimmy and Joe's.

This Iowa myth that Gable took walk ons and turned them into killers that just out worked / toughed everyone needs to die.

Norm Parker once told Phil Parker " it doesn't matter what you know...it only matters what your players can do"

Meaning you can have a scheme for any scenario, be the smartest X and O guy that ever lived, but if your athletes can't physically execute it, it is worthless.

Recruit better. That has been their issue their entire career. it's the Jimmy and Joe's.

This Iowa myth that Gable took walk ons and turned them into killers that just out worked / toughed everyone needs to die.
Gable did get top talent but he also developed average out of HS kids. Whitmer, ironside come to top of mind and im sure many others. Ironside was hammer but really just sbove average HS credentials….if i remember right.

Gable did get top talent but he also developed average out of HS kids. Whitmer, ironside come to top of mind and im sure many others. Ironside was hammer but really just sbove average HS credentials….if i remember right.
I woupd also add gables two best in development…..TNT! Niether had outstsnding HS credentials but turned themselves into some of the best ever.

so some of you guys are saying... The best thing we can do when the team is winning but not looking good when doing it...is to Trash the wrestlers then call for a coaching change and speculate on future coaching prospects? Honestly we can poke fun at carl and what they are doing but the reality is this.... Its a MONEY ISSUE... with his unlimited recruit buying power he can over recruit and over pay for talent and essentially make the rest of the country look like fools when they try to stay loyal to their already onboard wrestlers and field a competitive team. I mean even if a couple of the Top P4P recruits don't pan out for them...they hit the portal and get the best available Free agents to fill their gaps. Lets start with the new facility then we have the fresh face of Iowa wrestling with Gabe and Drake and maybe next year's top recruit Angelo Ferrari !! start a damn recruiting rush and have Spencer in play a Hell of a lot more. We need to put the new Iowa look out there and make some damn noise... we have the program we just need the interest in it from the perspective recruits.

Reactions: Greenheadhawk
And chittum unfortunately. Kid would of been bettet in long rin under TT
Chittum and his daddy were looking for an escape route and found one in Dresser. There was nothing Iowa could do to keep him around because TNT wouldn't buckle to their demands. No coaching staff can allow a wrestler (let alone one that hasn't even enrolled OR signed an NLI) and dada to control their program.

I will die on that sword.

Chittum and his daddy were looking for an escape route and found one in Dresser. There was nothing Iowa could do to keep him around because TNT wouldn't buckle to their demands. No coaching staff can allow a wrestler (let alone one that hasn't even enrolled OR signed an NLI) and dada to control their program.

I will die on that sword.
Agree. Saw interview with utah football coach. He said “we recruit kids that conform to us not kids that want us to conform to them”.

Max Gallagher is a tough wrestler. A win over him is nothing to be ashamed of. Drake gave up a late takedown when he was pushing too hard to score. Gallagher has wins this year over Eddie Ventresca, Robbie Howard and teammate Ryan Miller (who was an NCAA qualifier and a tough opponent).

Reactions: Gobblin and 12tdsaw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT