ADVERTISEMENT

OTT Session 4

I disagree. This is a conditional forgiveness the highest level of forgiveness doesn't require action by the person being forgiven. The act of forgiving is independent of the person being forgiven.
I am confused. I know what Jesus said about forgiveness. But..Let's say that a person does not believe in God as some here have professed. That person expresses no interest in being forgiven for that belief. Does God forgive him? I do not think so. I think we pray for this person but this person gets no forgiveness because he does not want to be forgiven.

Reactions: evashevsky58
Vodka's argument falls when you replace Jesus with just about anyone or anything else.

My win is because of Jesus.
My win is because of my dad.
My win is because of my coach.
My win is because I've tried to dedicate my life to wrestling.

Why is only one of those unacceptable? I'm not even overtly religious but I'm always happy when I hear an athlete express gratitude of any kind. That's the key Vodka. I'm looking to see whether they are about the process or the result. You are much too literal with words. Using the word Jesus in an interview conveys much more about the athlete than just that they are religious. It speaks to an unbreakable inner strength that someone or something has their back no matter what.
There's a difference between a thank you and a sermon. I can accept the former even if I don't agree, the latter may draw my rebuttal from time to time. People don't like it, then don't preach. Pretty simple.

The one who needs forgiving needs to want to be forgiven
Hmmm, interesting. I don't believe it's true. People often forgive another, despite any lack of remorse shown or restitution given, when believe that's the best path to their own peaceful state of mind. I am talking about saving the soul of a victim rather than a perpetrator.

I am confused. I know what Jesus said about forgiveness. But..Let's say that a person does not believe in God as some here have professed. That person expresses no interest in being forgiven for that belief. Does God forgive him? I do not think so. I think we pray for this person but this person gets no forgiveness because he does not want to be forgiven.

This provides a kernel of what bothers people about proselytizing, and why many do not see it as innocent and harmless.

Maybe a Christ centered life results in overall better lifestyle decisions and thus better opportunity for success? Truly faith centered people express gratitude in loss as well. Example: Alex Marinelli.
Fair, but for balance, it also creates kamikazee pilots, Jim Jones, jihadists with bombs strapped to them, suppression of women, and endless wars....to name a few things.

Okay, I've got my 2 cents in this fun debate, I'll move on now.

These matches have not convinced me that free styles rules are wildly better at increasing action. To be fair that it's hard to score on good wrestlers.
I still prefer folk . I’m still in the camp that the point of wrestling is to pin your opponent. They don’t seem to allow much work mat work while on the other hand you can roll around a few times and tech a guy.

Fair, but for balance, it also creates kamikazee pilots, Jim Jones, jihadists with bombs strapped to them, suppression of women, and endless wars....to name a few things.

Not in truly Christ centered people. The others you describe are heretics.

• Haha
Reactions: Trapper85

Not so much Christ filled lives create those kinds of people, so much as faith based lives.

Last edited:
Reactions: MilleGinja
I would agree that broadly speaking there are conditions for God's forgiveness in the Bible. I'm just suggesting that you can forgive without conditions. I think it's confusing why God (if he is all good) would require conditions and think that it is particularly problematic that the most prominent one is belief in him. Actually thinking about I can see an argument for conditions but I think a just God would be more concerned with works rather than faith.

Reactions: artradley
I still prefer folk . I’m still in the camp that the point of wrestling is to pin your opponent. They don’t seem to allow much work mat work while on the other hand you can roll around a few times and tech a guy.
I agree. I like the control elements. I think the risk reward balance heavily favors back exposures. In most instances you are better off looking to roll a guy through than trying to pin.

Reactions: artradley
Maybe a Christ centered life results in overall better lifestyle decisions and thus better opportunity for success? Truly faith centered people express gratitude in loss as well. Example: Alex Marinelli.

Even if true, (and I have no problem with that belief), why preach and proselytize publicly in every single sports interview? It's a private belief. To each their own. But if you get in front of a podium publicly and preach religion, you've now taken a private belief and publicized it, and the public doesn't all have to agree with you and is in their right to criticize you for preaching. I know it's hard for people who've grown up and live in a Christian centric culture to contemplate that non Christians might find it weird and inappropriate to preach religion at a sporting event.

You're gonna pull something reaching like that.

I think it's confusing why God (if he is all good) would require conditions and think that it is particularly problematic that the most prominent one is belief in him
Roman Catholics have absolution and the sacrament of last rights. Neither requires confession and contrition. That seems gets around the expressed concern.

Counter-example: AJ Ferrari

Although you could argue he doesn’t really lead a Christ-centered life and his tweets about god and Jesus are more performative.

Not all who believe and preach it are living it. And not all who don’t believe or aren’t preaching it aren’t living it.

Good for Russia. Ukraine is currently looking for a few good women to fight. Anyone want to discuss the US wars of aggression for the last 50 plus years regarding Olympic eligibility? BS that Russia is banned, but we are living in fd up times.
Russia should be banned because they have always been state sponsored professional athletes with cutting edge doping. I give a shit about thier politics, they have been cheaters for 50+ years.

Not from what I witness with my own eyes and ears on a daily basis. And THAT’s the rub, imo.

@Is_there_vodka_in_heaven these athletes worked their ass off to get here, they can use their 30 seconds to thank who they want. It's not like they are off topic spreading crap or talking smack. Blades is a 20 year old realizing a dream, cut her some slack for the emotion of the moment.

They can say whatever they want in their interview, and I'll continue to mock it when they use that time to preach religion.

Here's Kennedy Blades interview verbatim immediately after coming off the mat and qualifying for the Olympics:

Interviewer: "How much growth have you seen in yourself these past three years"?

Kennedy: "I'm going to be honest like I've just gotten super close to Jesus and I just want to tell you guys that he's king and he's coming soon so I really believe if you guys put your heart into Jesus christ you'll experience nothing but happiness and grace and he'll help you through trials and tribulations and it's him. That's the main reason why I was able to accomplish. That's the big thing."

Coaches, training partners, family, sponsors, hard work all secondary. The main cause of success is praying to a hypothetical ghost in the clouds.

If you can't see how this is a wild interview answer, you're in too deep.

They can say whatever they want in their interview, and I'll continue to mock it when they use that time to preach religion.

Here's Kennedy Blades interview verbatim immediately after coming off the mat and qualifying for the Olympics:

Interviewer: "How much growth have you seen in yourself these past three years"?

Kennedy: "I'm going to be honest like I've just gotten super close to Jesus and I just want to tell you guys that he's king and he's coming soon so I really believe if you guys put your heart into Jesus christ you'll experience nothing but happiness and grace and he'll help you through trials and tribulations and it's him. That's the main reason why I was able to accomplish. That's the big thing."

Coaches, training partners, family, sponsors, hard work all secondary. The main cause of success is praying to a hypothetical ghost in the clouds.

You are one messed up dude, and I'm not even religious. What she is saying is the foundation of her strength is Jesus, and that has helped her stay focused through trials and tribulations in her life. What do you want her to say, a lie? To make you feel better about your dismal life? You spend your time calling compliance offices. Kennedy Blades spends her time achieving life goals. Without meeting either of you, I already know who has her shit together.

That’s using a platform to proselytize and it’s not the same as thanking God for performance. Rather, it’s stating that her beliefs are the only true and valid beliefs and one must join her to be saved. That’s a crock of shite/slap in the face to all other religions in the world.

Other than the "Jesus is coming" part, the rest is the norm for most evangelicals.

I get it, for most non-religious people they can't fathom the depth of their beliefs. Her coaches know this about her, for this individual maybe it makes her better. I support she earner her interview, you have the option to mute her. Of all the media content out there athletes interviews have to be the least damaging. It not like she was touting electric vehicles as the best solution to climate change or nuking hurricanes.

I'm just saying the reaction is as over the top as the interview.

Your conclusion that they are not

could be the rub. "Truly" is the key.

Well, the rub is that you want to define who is "truly" an adherent of their professed religion. It's a circular argument - "My religion only inspires good behavior. If somebody says their bad behavior is inspired by my religion, they must be lying because my religion only inspires good behavior."

Last edited:
Well, the rub is that you want to define is is "truly" an adherent of their professed religion. It's a circular argument - "My religion only inspires good behavior. If somebody says their bad behavior is inspired by my religion, they must be lying because my religion only inspires good behavior."
Truly.

it’s stating that her beliefs are the only true and valid beliefs and one must join her to be saved. That’s a crock of shite/slap in the face to all other religions in the world.
I didn't take it that way. I don't think believers in other religious faiths do either. At most they might consider it misguided. Non-believers in any God may be looked at differently.

In other words, I heard no hint of intent to increase suffering in Kennedy Blades's words. I can't say the same about some of replies here. What's to be gained by ridiculing the faith of others? I don't get it.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
Well, the rub is that you want to define who is "truly" an adherent of their professed religion. It's a circular argument - "My religion only inspires good behavior. If somebody says their bad behavior is inspired by my religion, they must be lying because my religion only inspires good behavior."
Not me. I am just acknowledging the ambiguity of truly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT