ADVERTISEMENT

Our Oline problem

Roncuba55

HR All-State
Oct 6, 2023
I know we played #1 Michigan last night but is it me or other than opening a couple decent holes a game, our offensive line has shown no improvement throughout the season. They are freaking soft. #78 got so beat last night I was embarrassed for him. They all talk a big game in the preseason but have nothing to show for it. We used to be badasses. Is it because...

-George Barnett sucks at coaching
-We got lazy recruiting and the players just suck
-The mentality has changed after Doyle was fired for being a meanie

All of those issues is what I say...

I know we played #1 Michigan last night but is it me or other than opening a couple decent holes a game, our offensive line has shown no improvement throughout the season. They are freaking soft. #78 got so beat last night I was embarrassed for him. They all talk a big game in the preseason but have nothing to show for it. We used to be badasses. Is it because...

We had two classes basically bust out due to bad evaluations, injuries, etc.
It’s killing us,

The line seems to progress then regress often. Some of it is probably injury related, some of it competition related. I feel like they’ve improved overall, but still not good overall. Good at times, but much too inconsistent.

The injuries/bad luck excuse is probably valid, but is starting to get some pretty high mileage on it. If Barnett is back next year and doesn’t have them performing more consistently, I really hope we move on from him after next year.

The line seems to progress then regress often. Some of it is probably injury related, some of it competition related. I feel like they’ve improved overall, but still not good overall. Good at times, but much too inconsistent.

The injuries/bad luck excuse is probably valid, but is starting to get some pretty high mileage on it. If Barnett is back next year and doesn’t have them performing more consistently, I really hope we move on from him after next year.
Barnett and Brian should be cleaning out their offices on the same day.

We had two classes basically bust out due to bad evaluations, injuries, etc.
It’s killing us,

2 years of bad OL recruiting makes sense except we've been awful for 3 years in a row and not good
in the 4 years since Tristan Wirfs left.

I don't think they recruit enough Tackles....most of the tackles that wash out like say a Colby
or DeJong can still play guard. When they recruit a 6'3 -6'5 guard type frame, if that dude washed out
he doesn't have a position.

We have a strong walk on program for OL. Also, most of the Walk ons end up at guard. It all creates a deep roster of guards and not much talent or depth at OT. It used to be Iowa would take a chance on a H.S. TE with athleticism and build him up into an OL...don't see much of that under BF's reign.

They were significantly better than last year. Dunker was out last night. He’s played fairly well. That moved DeJong to OT. As others have stated, he’s always struggled at tackled. I think Richman has been pretty banged up. Saw the replay of a play against nebraska and he seemed like he was limping. If the scout team is as good as they say, feel like they’ll be fine next year.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
They played well in very short spurts against the weaker teams on the schedule. I’m sure they are all very nice young men, though.

Yep, in my opinion, the OLine should be the number one priority going into the off season. Hit the portal fast and hard for quality, veteran players. Ones from large power 5 schools. We need to protect Cade and give holes to our run game.

Slow, soft, untalented ... besides that not bad

JFC stop beating the Doyle drum. Every team has a strength coach that gets results. Tell me he was doing more than that? I have no problem with bringing in a guy that doesn't have to be a dick. He isn't there to break them and rebuild them like basic training. If I'm a parent I would have had an issue sending my kid to a program that put kids in the hospital. Move on.

JFC stop beating the Doyle drum. Every team has a strength coach that gets results. Tell me he was doing more than that? I have no problem with bringing in a guy that doesn't have to be a dick. He isn't there to break them and rebuild them like basic training. If I'm a parent I would have had an issue sending my kid to a program that put kids in the hospital. Move on.
Triggered much? Instilling toughness physically and mentally is a major trait of a winning football team and not getting dominated by conference peers. You are just as soft as our o line is. We have had a serious drop off in our physical play since Doyle left but as long as everyone is happy it's OK though. I imagine with your soft mentality your kid is in the band and no where near an athletic field.

I get the frustration with the o line if teams dont move the ball they are the first to blame and thats for all teams no matter the offense they run. I keep seeing the phrases thrown out , soft, non athletic, not big enough, busts, those are strong words as not that long ago we were considered bullies of the big ten up front. I do think our issues are much more than 1 group but several. Not to beat a dead horse as the ship has sailed but I do think their is a Doyle effect, the strength and conditioning coach works with these players year round to have them physically and mentally ready as they are the only coaches that coach and build these guys up daily and I think that is what is lacking right now and thats what Doyle did physically and coaching mental toughness. Look I'm not defending him although I do think that whole thing was BS and it cost him his career. Also when people say our line sucks, first its pretty tough for an oline to be consistent and move people around when you basically got the defense stacking against the run because we cant pass with any consistency to back defenses off and asking 5 guys to move 7 guys is tough. Good offenses keep defenses off balance with run and pass but when your so one dimensional its tough to be consistent. I think first and foremost this team needs a mobile QB, ( Dre Tate Like ) because that mobility itself will keep defenses off balance and help the oline because they cant just load the box because they have to account the the QBs legs. Honestly I don't think the coaches are recruiting wrong up front I think they just need to get back to a mobil QB that can extend plays just by being an athlete instead of a statue. We are far from perfect but were also not that far from being pretty dam good.

Last edited:
Triggered much? Instilling toughness physically and mentally is a major trait of a winning football team and not getting dominated by conference peers. You are just as soft as our o line is. We have had a serious drop off in our physical play since Doyle left but as long as everyone is happy it's OK though. I imagine with your soft mentality your kid is in the band and no where near an athletic field.
Did Doyle only train the offense, because the defense is the toughest defensive unit I've seen physically and definitely mentally this year?

My son plays football, plays outside, eats meat, and does chores btw, just in case that's a prerequisite to post in this thread.

I get the frustration with the o line if teams dont move the ball they are the first to blame and thats for all teams no matter the offense they run. I keep seeing the phrases thrown out , soft, non athletic, not big enough, busts, those are strong words as not that long ago we were considered bullies of the big ten up front. I do think our issues are much more than 1 group but several. Not to beat a dead horse as the ship has sailed but I do think their is a Doyle effect, the strength and conditioning coach works with these players year round to have them physically and mentally ready as they are the only coaches that coach and build these guys up daily and I think that is what is lacking right now and thats what Doyle did physically and coaching mental toughness. Look I'm not defending him although I do think that whole thing was BS and it cost him his career. Also when people say our line sucks, first its pretty tough for an oline to be consistent and move people around when you basically got the defense stacking against the run because we cant pass with any consistency to back defenses off and asking 5 guys to move 7 guys is tough. Good offenses keep defenses off balance with run and pass but when your so one dimensional its tough to be consistent. I think first and foremost this team needs a mobile QB, ( Dre Tate Like ) because that mobility itself will keep defenses off balance and help the oline because they cant just load the box because they have to account the the QBs legs. Honestly I don't think the coaches are recruiting wrong up front I think they just need to get back to a mobil QB that can extend plays just by being an athlete instead of a statue. We are far from perfect but were also not that far from being pretty dam good.
That's like saying not that long ago Nebraska won national championships.

2 years of bad OL recruiting makes sense except we've been awful for 3 years in a row and not good
in the 4 years since Tristan Wirfs left.

I don't think they recruit enough Tackles....most of the tackles that wash out like say a Colby
or DeJong can still play guard. When they recruit a 6'3 -6'5 guard type frame, if that dude washed out
he doesn't have a position.

We have a strong walk on program for OL. Also, most of the Walk ons end up at guard. It all creates a deep roster of guards and not much talent or depth at OT. It used to be Iowa would take a chance on a H.S. TE with athleticism and build him up into an OL...don't see much of that under BF's reign.
You are right there were a lot of misses in recruiting. Also, running Zone like Iowa does is extremely complex. It is not as simple as it looks. That is why you have seen a transition to gap scheme over the last 3-4 years. It is difficult to plug and play with Portal guys because they have to work together and there is a bunch of if/then checks that need to be done. I do not think it's a Doyle issue or else you would see it in the D-Line as well.

I'm sick of the Doyle excuse. PP has elevated the defense from Norms. Everyone one thought he was irreplaceable. The defense is more physical. The problem is the OL coach and BF. It doesn't help when we have a fat ass statue who can't complete a pass half the time.

They were significantly better than last year. Dunker was out last night. He’s played fairly well. That moved DeJong to OT. As others have stated, he’s always struggled at tackled. I think Richman has been pretty banged up. Saw the replay of a play against nebraska and he seemed like he was limping. If the scout team is as good as they say, feel like they’ll be fine next year.
If the scout team is decent, you think the starters would be this bad?

Seriously doubt the backups are developing.

OTs are worst in the conference, imo.

Richman has been a turnstile his whole career. His best attribute was helping the QB1 get up off the turf.
The "all conference" recognition was a courtesy to KF.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
OL definitely needs to be improved. But I’d also say plenty of the issues up front are tendency based…I mean when the defense knows what’s coming based on personnel/formation and down and distance that makes life really hard up front especially for Tackles.
That combined with our TEs never chip block. Not saying its their fault they just are never asked to do it. I think theres an arrogance with Kirk and Brian that the 5 OL can hand any and everything

Do you guys think maybe Tim Polasek set us back a couple of years? Maybe George Barnett is still cleaning up Polasek’s mess and we haven’t gotten to see Barnett’s recruits yet. Just a thought.

Reactions: WSC72 and wyohawk
Is DeJong a senior? No offense to him but I hope we never see him on the OL again
Not completely disagreeing with your assessment, but I'm trying to take it easy on the kid. He has not had just a single position to learn and grow. He has been required to play RT, RG, LG and LT this season as an injury backup. He is basically a decent backup guard who was forced into service at RT in a huge game against an elite defense. I am much more willing to criticize the offensive coaching staff for letting our OL situation/personnel come to this than I am to rip on a college kid who is doing his best.

When I was a GA, we always felt like in every class we had to get 2 kids that could play right away if need be and 2 kids that were projected starters in 2 years. Just our philosophy at the time so I am sure Iowa's is the same. Face it, Iowa has had more than 1 class in the last five years, which has killed them, that have had projects for OL in them at best. Iowa has had decent success under Ferentz with juco OL transfers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT