ADVERTISEMENT

Our Oline problem

When I was a GA, we always felt like in every class we had to get 2 kids that could play right away if need be and 2 kids that were projected starters in 2 years. Just our philosophy at the time so I am sure Iowa's is the same. Face it, Iowa has had more than 1 class in the last five years, which has killed them, that have had projects for OL in them at best. Iowa has had decent success under Ferentz with juco OL transfers.
Yeah I said before I know theres attrition and they probably thought Proctor was gonna start but I'm tired of these projects we seem to take every other year. Recruiting is better than it was in 2000. If we cant get a 3/4* kid to commit I'd rather us just steal some MAC commits. I mean even NDSU has had a good run if OL in the NFL lately.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Time to get back to recruiting 2 star guys.

We have struck out big time with some 4 stars lately.

JFC stop beating the Doyle drum. Every team has a strength coach that gets results. Tell me he was doing more than that? I have no problem with bringing in a guy that doesn't have to be a dick. He isn't there to break them and rebuild them like basic training. If I'm a parent I would have had an issue sending my kid to a program that put kids in the hospital. Move on.
Thank you. People mistake "bad" for "soft." Offensive line is not purely a measure of toughness. I see a lot of uncoordinated OL play the last few years at Iowa. That doesn't mean they don't work hard in the offseason or aren't extremely tough. In my experience, offensive linemen can improve but I've never seen one go from bad to very good. I've seen guys fresh out of high school without the requisite strength or size get manhandled until they developed their college bodies, but I've never seen somebody with bad feet or a lack of athleticism suddenly develop good feet and become a very good college offensive lineman. In other words, I blame recruiting misses more than anything else for the state of the line.

Triggered much? Instilling toughness physically and mentally is a major trait of a winning football team and not getting dominated by conference peers. You are just as soft as our o line is. We have had a serious drop off in our physical play since Doyle left but as long as everyone is happy it's OK though. I imagine with your soft mentality your kid is in the band and no where near an athletic field.
Not trigger you moron, just waiting for you to explain how S&C coach impacted our line beyond the weight room. I get hard conditioning produces hard individuals. You can be a tough sob and still have crap technique. The entire defense and TE has produced plenty of draft picks, those positional coaches are getting results. Your Doyle argument is garbage. Positional coaching and recruiting is why the o-line sucks.

The current strength coach was a Doyle understudy. Him leaving isn’t the reason the line sucks it’s poor development and recruiting. Ever since Barnett got here the line has gotten worse and it really wasn’t all that amazing the last few years of Doyle being SC either.

When I was a GA, we always felt like in every class we had to get 2 kids that could play right away if need be and 2 kids that were projected starters in 2 years. Just our philosophy at the time so I am sure Iowa's is the same. Face it, Iowa has had more than 1 class in the last five years, which has killed them, that have had projects for OL in them at best. Iowa has had decent success under Ferentz with juco OL transfers.
Yanda worked out

Not trigger you moron, just waiting for you to explain how S&C coach impacted our line beyond the weight room. I get hard conditioning produces hard individuals. You can be a tough sob and still have crap technique. The entire defense and TE has produced plenty of draft picks, those positional coaches are getting results. Your Doyle argument is garbage. Positional coaching and recruiting is why the o-line sucks.
A close friend that worked in the athletic department, and was at every practice for several years, told me that Doyle did more than strength and conditioning. He spent a lot of time at practice working with the Oline. I don't know how much was technique related, but he helped prepare them mentally. I was told this while Doyle was still employed.

A close friend that worked in the athletic department, and was at every practice for several years, told me that Doyle did more than strength and conditioning. He spent a lot of time at practice working with the Oline. I don't know how much was technique related, but he helped prepare them mentally. I was told this while Doyle was still employed.
The Washed Up Walkons said the same thing.

I stand corrected. I appreciate the info.

Not completely disagreeing with your assessment, but I'm trying to take it easy on the kid. He has not had just a single position to learn and grow. He has been required to play RT, RG, LG and LT this season as an injury backup. He is basically a decent backup guard who was forced into service at RT in a huge game against an elite defense. I am much more willing to criticize the offensive coaching staff for letting our OL situation/personnel come to this than I am to rip on a college kid who is doing his best.
Regarding DeJong...while it may be true that he was never intended to be anything but a backup, doesn't excuse not 1, not 2, but 3 illegal procedure calls on him on Saturday.

There's individual middle school kids that don't have that many in an entire season.
If I was him, I would have told the coach I was injured to save the embarrassment.

• Haha

That makes a lot of sense given past OL especially NFL guys bring up Doyle first before they bring up Philbin, Morgan etc.

Alt is up for the Outland is will be a top 15 pick and we’ve seen how good Proctor has become this year. Painful what Brian has done to this program
Don't forget the roles of Fossil Pappy, the OLine coach, and the Gift From Heaven in this offensive Offense debacle.

• Haha
Having Proctor would have helped, he looked pretty good during his game. Iowa cannot let anymore 5* players get out of the state.

Alt is up for the Outland is will be a top 15 pick and we’ve seen how good Proctor has become this year. Painful what Brian has done to this program
Alt has said he lost interest in Iowa when Doyle was let go. You can look it up. The info is out there.

Proctor was because the cash was much bigger in Bama.

Some of it is scheme, take against Michigan , You have Iowa's less athletic OL , trying to zone and trap block a DL that is quicker and have better first steps, That is not a good recipe for success , Iowa rarely Man blocks but that is how You minimize that disadvantage, You get a hat on the DL and your uncovered OL get the double team at thE point of attack and try to get the LB with the TE and and FB , Wisconsin made a living doing this , Iowa for Years has allowed penetration and because of the lack of deep threats are also running into 8/9 Man fronts where the OL is just outnumbered. SCHEME SCHEME SCHEME .

Alt has said he lost interest in Iowa when Doyle was let go. You can look it up. The info is out there.

Proctor was because the cash was much bigger in Bama.
I'm not disputing why he didn't go to Iowa. Just mentioning that the two guys were huge losses.

Some of it is scheme, take against Michigan , You have Iowa's less athletic OL , trying to zone and trap block a DL that is quicker and have better first steps, That is not a good recipe for success , Iowa rarely Man blocks but that is how You minimize that disadvantage, You get a hat on the DL and your uncovered OL get the double team at thE point of attack and try to get the LB with the TE and and FB , Wisconsin made a living doing this , Iowa for Years has allowed penetration and because of the lack of deep threats are also running into 8/9 Man fronts where the OL is just outnumbered. SCHEME SCHEME SCHEME .
My girlfriend has gotten annoyed with how often I brought up the word SCHEME this year.

Reactions: Heathen Raider
Do you guys think maybe Tim Polasek set us back a couple of years? Maybe George Barnett is still cleaning up Polasek’s mess and we haven’t gotten to see Barnett’s recruits yet. Just a thought.
This x1,000. Just my humble opinion

when he got the boot, wrongly btw, that's when it all went down hill

when he got the boot, wrongly btw, that's when it all went down hill
It sure did. He was equal opportunity hard ass. Some people can handle it and thrive, some people blame their failures on him. It worked out good for a long time... til the woke mob came after him. Employers have rules and Iowa football had rules. I guess not anymore, that's society today. The rhabdo deal was also an outlier. Those dudes who got sick didn't take care of themselves during the break before they came back or probably the night before. It is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT