ADVERTISEMENT

Owen Freeman

Maybe all that information is available on Twitter, but like you admitted, you (and I) don't have the time or the inclination to boil through it and post the relevant information on this board. I don't care where Fran gets all his information, I'm just glad he goes through the effort and posts it here.

Now the bickering.....
Like an only child who has to be right.

Has Fran been "canceled"? I haven't seen any of his posts recently. Some of his antics were controversial & unpopular I realize, but he was a 100% Hawkeye BB fan & invested the time & effort to provide more BB-related content & discussion than anyone else & that was & is always a good thing. Free Fran!

Has Fran been "canceled"? I haven't seen any of his posts recently. Some of his antics were controversial & unpopular I realize, but he was a 100% Hawkeye BB fan & invested the time & effort to provide more BB-related content & discussion than anyone else & that was & is always a good thing. Free Fran!
Most of his posts were either attacking other posters or bumping his own posts to try to keep ahead of others. He might have finally gotten a time out.

Maybe all that information is available on Twitter, but like you admitted, you (and I) don't have the time or the inclination to boil through it and post the relevant information on this board. I don't care where Fran gets all his information, I'm just glad he goes through the effort and posts it here.

Now the bickering.....

For a long time I quit posting on the BB board and then stopped reading because every post was from fran and it became too hard to figure out where I left off from the previous time. But the other day I saw some threads from other people and decided to reply. Fran had a cow about other threads and started arguing and stealing posts for his thread. He was annoying as hell. All he has to do is let people post what they want, where they want, but he can’t do that. From Mike Zierath’s post, it seems fran has repeatedly complained to the mods that people aren’t posting in his thread. He’s complained so much that Mike posted and told him to stop whining. Since then fran seems to have left. So the person that caused fran to leave is fran. I’m sure his feeling are hurt because in his mind he probably always felt the mods thought he was great. Sometimes a slap of reality can be painful.

For a long time I quit posting on the BB board and then stopped reading because every post was from fran and it became too hard to figure out where I left off from the previous time. But the other day I saw some threads from other people and decided to reply. Fran had a cow about other threads and started arguing and stealing posts for his thread. He was annoying as hell. All he has to do is let people post what they want, where they want, but he can’t do that. From Mike Zierath’s post, it seems fran has repeatedly complained to the mods that people aren’t posting in his thread. He’s complained so much that Mike posted and told him to stop whining. Since then fran seems to have left. So the person that caused fran to leave is fran. I’m sure his feeling are hurt because in his mind he probably always felt the mods thought he was great. Sometimes a slap of reality can be painful.
Good riddance. He really brought the mood down.

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
Getting back on topic … with Freeman coming in for the 23-24 season, we will have at least three post players on the roster, with Freeman, Ogundele, and Mulvey. That number will grow if we pull someone from the portal with more than a year of eligibility (seems less and less likely) or if we sign one of the other posts we are still recruiting.

I suppose it’s possible that one or more of these guys ends up playing the 4, but I also wonder if we won’t see someone ending up being the odd-man out. (But that is what happens when you bring in talented players.)

Getting back on topic … with Freeman coming in for the 23-24 season, we will have at least three post players on the roster, with Freeman, Ogundele, and Mulvey. That number will grow if we pull someone from the portal with more than a year of eligibility (seems less and less likely) or if we sign one of the other posts we are still recruiting.

I suppose it’s possible that one or more of these guys ends up playing the 4, but I also wonder if we won’t see someone ending up being the odd-man out. (But that is what happens when you bring in talented players.)
Iowa can potentially get a junior or senior from the portal with only 1 year. That would be perfect. As it is, Iowa has Filip, Josh O, and Riley. All will now have had a year of getting experience in Iowa's offenses and defenses plus the summer training program. That should help them improve a lot.

It appears to me (zero expertise) that Freeman has the mobility and athleticism to play the 4/PF with no problem. I would guess that is his natural position in the B10....just my guess.

It appears to me (zero expertise) that Freeman has the mobility and athleticism to play the 4/PF with no problem. I would guess that is his natural position in the B10....just my guess.
You might be right, and I hope you are. From what I have seen (zero expertise here as well), his playing style seems a little more like Garza, and a little less like Keegan/Cook, etc. But we will see.

Reactions: perryhawk
Ok its the offseason and the portal is exasperating. Lets discuss Owen and his potential. From what I see, gotta love the rim running and dunk everything attitude while finishing through some guys as big as he is already ( always a question concerning prep players). Already flashing ability to stretch the floor a bit shooting. Just great feet, never underestimate good footwork. Also some rim protection on D. Question is, can his mobility and motor remain as he gains mass for college ball? Would love to hear Combes chime in on him, and more as he develops over the year. I feel like this kid is under discussed so far for a highly rated prospect.
I hear he's in the business of winning national championships.....

I think this will be a year where Josh O will need to demonstrate that he can contribute more than a few minutes of keeping another very large player from pushing his way to the basket. I don't have a read on Mulvey, but he could make a significant step forward this year, especially on the defensive end. I agree that getting an experienced big man from the portal with 1-2 years of eligibility left would the ideal fit/need. At this point, I would be happy with someone who isn't going to be a star, but can make a solid contribution of 10-15 min, especially rebounding and defending the basket.

Reactions: Ronman and BBHawk
You might be right, and I hope you are. From what I have seen (zero expertise here as well), his playing style seems a little more like Garza, and a little less like Keegan/Cook, etc. But we will see.
I feel he runs the court much better than Garza did at his age. (In no way am I saying he will be as good or better than Garza) Freeman has had the ability to steal the ball and run for a fast break dunk before kids at his level can recover down the floor. Will that translate for him now or in college? Well, that remains to be seen. Exciting possibility for a guy his size combined with his other skills. Rim running bigs are rare and a big commodity in todays modern game, add a stretch aspect from a good jump shot and it’s even better.

Last edited:
I feel he runs the court much better than Garza did at his age. (In no way am I saying he will be as good or better than Garza) Freeman has had the ability to steal the ball and run for a fast break dunk before kids at his level can recover down the floor. Will that translate for him now or in college? Well, that remains to be seen. Exciting possibility for a guy his size combined with his other skills. Rim running bigs are rare and a big commodity in todays modern game, add a stretch aspect from a good jump shot and it’s even better.
It would be nice to have that, I can’t think of who our last big was that could do that.

Also I know it was mentioned much earlier in this thread and I think Tom also posted but he's all in at Moline. I won't link all the Twitter posts to regurgitate old news and clog up the board but good things coming for this young man.
Good idea, Tom Kakert would probably notice and call you out. I come here for new breaking news.

Also I know it was mentioned much earlier in this thread and I think Tom also posted but he's all in at Moline. I won't link all the Twitter posts to regurgitate old news and clog up the board but good things coming for this young man.
Great approach.

I don't. I appreciate Fran's contribution. Why can't we all just get along? "Love is all you need!"

He's just too much. He's that weird uncle that constantly tries to prove he's smart. Yes some of the information is good, but there's just too much garage that it becomes over the top.

When an entire thread is hijacked, ignoring the hijacker is not a solution.
You cannot hijack a thread. Either a writer's post is non sequitur to the title or OP, and everyone ignores it; or, the post is interesting and other people respond to it.

It's like a party conversation rather than a speech. The conversation flows from one topic to another somewhat naturally. Since this is the dead season for college sports, and not much is happening, the topics stray out of a strictly Iowa sports angle. No one makes any poster contribute or post on a topic that bores them, indeed no one makes anyone even read them.

The idea of rules about what and where people can say is gaining popularity. Everyone should fight that urge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ree4
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT