ADVERTISEMENT

Payton Sandfort on the draft board

He'll play another year with his brother, he ain't going anywhere....!
A G-League player at best, if Wieskamp and Garza, can't stick in the NBA you're kidding yourself if anyone thinks that Payton will be drafted at least not after this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: SB_SB and Mohawkeye
That's very surprising. He would be a significant defensive liability. He'd have to shoot an incredible percentage from 3 at a decent volume to outweigh that.

I don't mean this the wrong way, but who was the last relatively unathletic player from Iowa to stick in the league? Brad Lohaus, Les Jepsen?

#47 doesn't get you a guaranteed contract. He definitely can improve his college game and become a star at college level, but becoming an NBA level perimeter defender doesn't seem within his range of athleticism.

Surprised about all the skepticism here... Besides being money, he's got the size and quick release to get his shot off. Plus he has fantastic range and can shoot off balance coming off screens. Other than being roughly the same size, Weiskamp didn't have any of that. Not a great comparison. I actually think PS is a better prospect when you really look at things closely. May not produce as well on paper, but has much better tools for a next level 2 man.

Reactions: elemke
I would compare PS to Doug Mcdermott from Creighton. Mcdermott has found a niche as a designated 3 pt. shooter, but they always put him on the least athletic/scorer defensively in the NBA. He's made alot of $$$$ doing this. I would say Mcdermott though is a little more athletic than Payton. Mcdermott has a 41% career 3pt average also. Payton is not consistant. I have watched Mcdermott play for the Spurs many times and he appears quicker on Defense than PS. What a job! Get paid millions to be a designated 3 pt. shooter in the NBA. Plus when he reaches so many years he's a part of the NBA pension and potentially 401k.

Last edited:
I would compare PS to Doug Mcdermott from Creighton. Mcdermott has found a niche as a designated 3 pt. shooter, but they always put him on the least athletic/scorer defensively in the NBA. He's made alot of $$$$ doing this. I would say Mcdermott though is a little more athletic than Payton. Mcdermott has a 41% career 3pt average also. Payton is not consistant. I have watched Mcdermott play for the Spurs many times and he appears quicker on Defense than PS. What a job! Get paid millions to be a designated 3 pt. shooter in the NBA. Plus when he reaches so many years he's a part of the NBA pension and potentially 401k.
McBuckets was way ahead of Sandfort at this point; he was averaging like 25 a game in his 2nd season at Creighton.

If you watch NBA games, you can see who will fit and who will not fit in. The NBA is the elite of the elite. Ot is not 1990 anymore.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I don't mean this the wrong way, but who was the last relatively unathletic player from Iowa to stick in the league? Brad Lohaus, Les Jepsen?
Brad Lohaus was a nearly 7fter who could run the court and shoot pretty good from distance. He was hardly unathletic for a player his size. In fact if I remember right, Lute said he tried to dunk everything in sight as a way to describe him as a player. High flyer no, but better than average athlete.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Lacking in defense, athletic ability as well as abilities to make a one on one move on a real defender.

Maybe Europe but he has no shot at the NBA with his current game.

Nothing personal, love how hard he plays, but come on people.
Duncan Robinson would be a comp of a similarly unathletic player but I agree extremely unlikely.

One on one isnt a factor for a catch and shoot player but defense is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT